PDA

View Full Version : Talk Shows

cmiller1031
01-19-2006, 09:44 AM
Okay ladies....

It got me thinking on the "What got you started thread" What got me started was seeing crossdressers on the Donahue show (he actually wore a skirt). There was also a Jenny Jones (I am pretty sure) show that had crossdressers and they did a "drag makeover" on a couple in the crowd. The guy was so reluctant to do it, it was very cute, then they showed the back room that they went into for the makeover with a whole wardrobe rack and what not, and I remember a ballerina outfit on the rack. But the makeover was well done, and he looked great (I have no recollection on what she looked like) he even seemed to enjoy it.

I would have loved to be that guy....anyone else ever want to experience that, or have some day time tv talk shows or tv shows they remember that they enjoyed?

Julia Cross
01-19-2006, 09:47 AM
...well that's a no brainer. I would say that question is retoricle. Who here wouldn't want to have a complete transformation with professional hair and makeup and be allowed to walk around in an accepted environment.

J

TGMarla
01-19-2006, 09:57 AM
I can't stand those shows. Can't watch 'em, and won't watch 'em. Although they may have the occasional transgendered person on there, it's just not worth it to me to sit through them (ever) to see if any single episode deals with a crossdresser or some such. No way. Life's too short to waste on the likes of Montel or Sally Jesse what'serface.

But the total makeover and the cute clothes would be nice.

KellyT
01-19-2006, 10:28 AM
I've got to agree with TG Marla. I'm not keen on these shows. Although they may have honourable intentions, I feel they don't allow people to express themselves to a point that allows others to understand and accept. I've seen one or two and come away with the feeling that these programmes are almost like a side show for the audience to point and laugh and think "glad i'm not like that, or know anyone like that".
I love people like Eddie Izzard who gets on with it as if it was the most normal thing in the world (which it is), and nobody bats an eye lid.

I might be way off track with that, but hey....

Alystin
01-19-2006, 10:30 AM
I seen and watch some of those tv talk shows. And I have to admit that they certainly did peak my interest growing up and inform me that I wasn't alone in my dealings with gender. But the problem i have with them is they never ever talk about the issues involved. They just take the transgendered people and parade them around stage, alomst like a freak show event :angry: (even some of the more reputable shows like Montel, which my gf loves to watch). Which in turn keeps the tg community down as honest members of society, so they're not helping us even though they do bring the issue up into the public's eye.

KellyT
01-19-2006, 10:32 AM
Hi Alystin,
great minds think alike. We must've been typing the same thing at the same time. Only I think you got the point across better. X

Julia Cross
01-19-2006, 10:39 AM
In the context of talk show mocking transgendered people or selecting the extremes, drag queens etc. I could not agree more. But, shown in a good light, it would be nice. unfortunately, most talk shows seem to show transgendered people for ratings and not to increase awareness in a positive light.

Julia

cmiller1031
01-19-2006, 10:44 AM
I agree with what you are all saying about being demeaning and whatnot on some of the shows. I must say that the two I am referencing were well done. These were also years and years ago when I was in high school, thus why I was watching them.

These were very educational, and the makeover was done to show that anyone could be doing this, and I think the experience for the one who got the makeover was great for him. It seemed like he enjoyed it to some extent and did not mock it at all. He was so unwilling to start, I think he got a good education.

KellyT
01-19-2006, 10:47 AM
I haven't seen many programmes about crossdressing that have been truely informative. However, Discovery Health did have an interesting series looking at the lives of MtF and FtM transformations, although they were too short and still only scratched the surface. What we need are some good genuine cross dressing role models in the media eye. X

Sophia Rearen
01-19-2006, 11:15 AM
In junior high school, I used to play sick, so I could stay home and hope Phil would have a crossdresser on his show. It was one of the only ways to learn more about cding. My how things have changed.

Maddie
01-19-2006, 11:46 AM
I agree with most when they poke fun at the tg or cd and even the drag queens it is degrading

I remember watching Ophra when she had Dana Rivers on and was a little dissapointed the the maven of talk only spent a short time with her and didn't really go into her personality

Lindahexi
01-19-2006, 12:02 PM
I must say that most such shows that I've seen on British TV I've enjoyed; even one show with Joan Rivers, she invited a crossdresser down from the audience (he was fully enfemme) and interviewed him. She did crack a few jokes (obviously) but generally treated the guy well, and finished up getting him a date with a GG.

NinaV
01-19-2006, 12:41 PM
I have seen couple of very informativ and serious talk shows on the austrian and german television.
The problem in the US is that talkshows want to shock and need to spread sensation in order to draw audience. On the other side most tv-watchers do not really want to learn, they want to be entertained.
An educational and serious show could be seen probably only on public television if at all.

Nina

Petrina CD
01-19-2006, 01:37 PM
I have seen a talk show (Maury Povich) where they had about twenty "girls", some were real girls ,some were boys dressed as girls. They had on sexy outfits ( little hotpant suits and little dresses)that revealed a lot . They had the audiance try and choose who was what. They all got it wrong most of the time. The "gurls" were most likely all post op,but it was real fun to see all the redneck types (from God knows where ?) going into shock when they realized that they were looking at boys and getting a little turned on.

Live To Ride/Ride To Live

Petrina cd

Adele
01-19-2006, 01:45 PM
I've found that some of the chat shows don't seem to cover the issues of the transgendered but focus on the disruption it's caused to the family or partner.

And I'd also agree that the documentaries are too short so don't get to explore the issues properly.

I have to confess to be captivated by Big Brother and last years winner Nadia and having just got back from Aussie I'm hooked on the Celebrities in the house at the moment, Pete Burns in particular but also Dennis Rodman.

I know they like wacky characters in the house, no-one seems to bat an eyelid at what these guys are wearing - I think their language and points of view are more colourful !!!

Joyce1702
01-19-2006, 06:18 PM
I remember that Donahue show. Most of the shows really miss the point and usually feature drag queens and not true crossdressers. One of the better shows I remember seeing was actually Morton Downey, Jr. He had Paula Jordan Sinclair on and she presented herself very well and did a really good job of handling "the mouth that roared". She was an inspiration to me.

Joyce

Christina Nicole
01-19-2006, 06:56 PM
These shows are entertainment for a group of people who are not interested in learning. These shows are on during working hours and are not targeted at the average housewife. So who else is left? No wonder they broadcast garbage.

The viewers have no interest in what Ph.D.s psychologists, and others have to say, or what research they have done. They don't care about sociology, if they ever even heard the word before. They don't care about the trials that people with gender identity dysphoria suffer. They just want "dirt." Dirt is what they get.

Warm regards,
Christina Nicole

SherriePall
01-19-2006, 07:07 PM
Hi. Julia mentioned they do it for the ratings. True. Just check out the listings at the Sweeps twice a year. You'll see transexuals, crossdressing, drag queens, etc. mentioned in the descriptions. It's too bad.
The majority of us are normal guys who just happen to prefer wearing items usually reserved for women. It's really a shame.

Stacie Stockman
01-19-2006, 08:03 PM
I remember after my first experiences, I used to put on my sisters leotards that she wore for gymnastics, I saw a Donahue show about TGs/TVs. On that one show, the one thing that I remember is Club Wildside, a TV hotel over in Toronto. Even at 8-9 years of age I sooo wanted to visit there. And some decades later, I still want to go there.

Sarahgurl371
01-19-2006, 08:09 PM
I remember as a teen thinking, wow, there are others like me. I used to, and still do at least start to watch these shows with the hopes of them really getting into the subject. They never seem to though. Its about the hype. Its about ratings, thats it. It would seem that the days of trying to help people who may be struggling with a situation come in second to the almighty dollar.

Discovery Channel's shows were pretty good, and I had hoped they would do more. But that doesn't seem to be.

MsJordan
01-19-2006, 11:23 PM
The He's A Lady reality show on TBS that debuted last year finally convinced me to dress fully. As a matter of fact after seeing the series premiere, I made my first formal plans to buy all of the items I needed to dress. Yeah I know its silly but I'm a young cd. I used to love the boy or girl shows on maury and actually enjoy the drag makeover. There was one recently on the TYRA show.