PDA

View Full Version : What a birthday present

Claire Cook
07-23-2014, 04:39 PM
Last month my wife surprised me with a joint membership in the Museum of the Arts for Women, in DC. Since we've been in Florida we've not had the chance to use it. She's been there, I never have. This week I had a day of work here, but had today to myself, so of course Claire will go to the museum (The card is in my male name). Bottom line: if you ever get the change to go there, do it! I knew next to nothing about female artists, and was blown away by the paintings. The colors and textures of clothing are so real you can feel them -- I mean, what crossdresser can resist this? And there really are insights into what it is to be a woman. The Wonder Woman video was a hoot -- lots of Linda Carter bits, and then a series of texts putting WW in the context of feminism.

Some interesting sidelights. When I showed the pass, I made it a point to say it was a birthday present from my wife. I could not have been treated better. getting into an animated conversation with the lady at the reception desk about the new exhibits, and the museum in general. (I don't know if she appreciated me as transgendered person, or if she thought we were a same sex couple -- but that doesn't matter. It just felt normal, and that really made me feel comfortable.) Most of the people visiting the museum were women, and I truly felt at ease. I visited to gift shop to see if I could find something for Sue (I didn't), and one of the ladies behind the desk said "You look like someone who used to work with me. Have you ever worked at ____?" (I've forgotten the name of the place, but I took that as a genuine compliment!)

Another sidelight. In the past I've been a bit shy about taking a seat on the Metro next to a female, don't know why. When I'm en femme, no problemma!

~Joanne~
07-24-2014, 05:29 PM
Sounds like you have a. Very thoughtful SO :) Glad you had such a nice time! Happy belated birthday!

suchacutie
07-24-2014, 05:58 PM
WOW...Didn't know about the museum so thank you for the tip (and thanks to your wife)! Also sounds like you had a terrific time!

Claire Cook
07-25-2014, 05:55 AM
Sounds like you have a. Very thoughtful SO :) Glad you had such a nice time! Happy belated birthday!

Hi Joanne,

Thanks for the birthday wish! Those of us with thoughtful (and supportive) wives and SO's are SO fortunate -- I just wish more of our wives and SO's could be that way.

I had dinner with a GF that night. She asked me if I'd seen the collection of wonmen's clothing. WHAT??? I'd missed that! She said it's on the fourth floor that I didn't get to, along with the women's research library. All the more reason for Sue and me to visit when we go back! :battingeyelashes:

If anyone is interested, here is the link to the website: http://nmwa.org/

kimdl93
07-25-2014, 07:14 AM
what a great gift and great fun! It does feel good to blend in with the rest of female humanity, doesn't it? I guess we'll never know if we are being accepted as TG or female (unless we ask) but it really doesn't matter. I enjoy being even a provisional member of the club!

Beverley Sims
08-06-2014, 02:33 PM
Claire,
You just have to get into the swing of things.
You seem to be making progress.