PDA

View Full Version : Getting a "Makeover"

susancheerleader
01-19-2006, 10:21 AM
Hi--
I'm just wondering where you all go to get "made over?" Ie: Hair, nails, etc.
I'd love to do this for myself.

TGMarla
01-19-2006, 10:53 AM
Just ask DanaJ, the "Makeover Queen". She calls ahead, does her research, finds an accepting place, and goes for it!

DanaJ
01-19-2006, 11:10 AM
OK, if you are serious, then I will help.

Here is how I go about it. First, decide how brave you are going to be. Are you going to leave all done up, or do you want to change back to male before you leave?

Decide how secret you want this to be - would you care if your next-door neighbor sees you? Or would you feel more comfortable in a nearby town? Or would you not care if the whole world knows and sees?

Once you decide how and where (generally), it is time to start your research. Look through your local Yellow Pages, pick out a few salons that look like they might suit your purposes, then it is road work time. Go see the physical location of each salon. Are they stand alone businesses? In a strip mall? Or located in the middle of a busy shopping mall?

Now that you have narrowed your list down, there are two ways to approach this. One is to just start making a few phone calls. You might have to practice this a little :) Ask to speak to the manager or owner, do not explain what you want to a receptionist. Carefully explain what you want, and do it in a manner so that they know you are a safe, serious client. If you have special concerns, like a private room or after hours services, ask about that. The important thing is to let them know you are not some weird fetishist.

The other way is to go in, but get some normal male services (haircut, manicure, pedicure) but what you want to do is twofold: check out the personnel there, see how they interact with their clients, are they "male friendly", how are their personalities, etc. If you feel comfortable there, then start going in often, let them see what a great friendly person you are - then when you are accepted there, bring up the part about a female makeover. If you wait until October, then Halloween is always a great excuse (which is how I got my very first big head-to-toe salon makeover).

Now, this is very very important! These girls at the salon, this is their work, their profession. Handle yourself with diginity - do not waste their time with strange fetishist requests ("Can you tie me to the chair as you do my hair?"). Remember to be respectful of them AND any other customers that may be in the salon. You may not care if anyone sees you, a male getting a female makeover, but that little old lady who has been going there for 30 years might take exception.

OK, how is that for a start :) That is the basics, I can give you some advanced tips if you need them.....

pattied
01-19-2006, 11:19 AM
Awesome tips DanaJ!!! Susan beat me to asking about this (Thank you Susan for asking!!!).

Time for due diligence.

One question: You specifically mention those in strip malls, malls in general or stand alone. Have you found a correlation between those more open to us ladies and their location?

DanaJ
01-19-2006, 11:38 AM
Awesome tips DanaJ!!! Susan beat me to asking about this (Thank you Susan for asking!!!).

Time for due diligence.

One question: You specifically mention those in strip malls, malls in general or stand alone. Have you found a correlation between those more open to us ladies and their location?Nope, I have been pretty lucky in that I have had no real bad experiences. I have had makeovers in stand-alone salons, ones in big strip malls, and ones that have 2 or 3 other businesses attached. But no correlation between location and openess to CDs, or so I have found. And, age of the stylists does not always matter either - you might think that younger stylists would be more open, but that is not always the case.

I have been to salons where the customers are treated like they are on an assembly line, especially the "on every corner" nail salon. I would steer clear from places where you cannot understand and be understood easily. How can you communicate exactly what you want if the nail tech or stylist can barely speak English? One thing I use to judge a place, is to listen how the stylists interact with their clients. Are they joking and laughing and all talking amongst thenselves? Or just every now and then talking about the weather?

Another thing, do not EVER use the "I lost a bet" routine - no matter what you have read on Fictionmania, they will see through that right away :D

Jodi
01-19-2006, 09:40 PM
I got my original makeover at a Merle Norman Salon. I called first and asked for the manager. I asked her if they did male to female makeovers. She pleasantly said "sure, do you want to make an appointment?" The rest is history. At Merle Norman, the makeover is free is you buy some of their recommended products. otherwise, this salon carged $25. MN makeup is not cheap, but it is very good quality. I went enfemme. No problem. She did the makeover right in the open in the shop. I have since gone back for other makeup items and have gotten simple makeovers for a different eye look, different blush, etc.

Not all MN salons are this friendly. I know of another that will not tolerate a cd. The secret is to call first and talk to the manager.

Good luck.

Jodi

KimW
01-20-2006, 11:04 AM
I've had a number of makeovers and agree with the tips already posted. Two other thoughts, Merle Norman stores seem to be pretty open to helping us although I would still call ahead. Also MAC counters and stores are very helpful, I've never once had a sales person in a MAC department or store be anything else then really nice and helpful. I've had a makeover in the downtown NYC MAC store as well as in a department store. Last but not least one other thought that I've used in the past is to find an Avon representative, some are very open to helping us and some aren't but for your first time having the makeover done either at your house or at the Avon's reps house might make it more comfortable for you.

Good luck and have fun!
Kim

Catherine
01-20-2006, 02:03 PM
Hi Susan,
Where in Maine are you thinking? I have had makeovers in Portland, Bangor Brewer, and Lewiston.

In Bangor there is a salon called"Upstairs at the Loft {I think}" It was a few years ago. I had my hair washed and set, makeup and a manicure. The girls were wonderful. I really felt welcome.
I used to have a little talk that I would give when calling. First and most importantly, NO LIES, no lost bets or anything like that. Be upfront and say that you are a crossdresser and want to make an appointment. You might want to have your hair done, or update your colors, or et a mincure. Almost all of the women I have spoken to are comfortable with us. In fact a lot of women really get a kick out of seeing how feminine they can make us appear. I have found that if you are sincere, and friendly you should have no problem.

If you can, go to the salon in person. I have had luck by going to the salon in person and requesting services for a future date. That way they know you are not one of those people who get their kicks by calling and never showing up. If they meet you it seems easier for a person to know and understand you are serious. Whe I have made appointments this way, I have been surpised that the stylist has given serious thought to what styles, or colors etc.she can offer you.

Most people really are thoughtful.

Catherine

DanaJ
01-20-2006, 02:49 PM
Catherine, Jodi and KimW - I want to thank you for your responses here to help other girls who may be reading this thread, thanks for your input on this subject. I don't think the thread starter Susan_in_Maine cares enough to reply or thank anyone who responded so far, and she has been on the forum several times since we have replied.

Julie York
01-20-2006, 04:37 PM
Catherine, Jodi and KimW - I want to thank you for your responses here to help other girls who may be reading this thread, thanks for your input on this subject. I don't think the thread starter Susan_in_Maine cares enough to reply or thank anyone who responded so far, and she has been on the forum several times since we have replied.

Wooooooooo!

:cheeky:

Tina Dixon
01-20-2006, 04:47 PM
Now some of you girls need to see some of DanaJ pictures, they are fantastic.

pattied
01-20-2006, 04:53 PM

Ouch!

To all of you who contributed (DanaJ, Jodi, Kim, Catherine), just as an FYI:

I found the information most helpful, and hope to schedule a makeover before too long here... perhaps a dual with my wife. :cheeky:

So... Thank you very much!

randi_789
01-20-2006, 06:24 PM
I can't believe you girls actually go to a regular salon instead of one that is strictly for CD makeovers. You have way more nerve than I do. I have been trying to come up with the nerve to have a makeover at a local CD salon and finally did it last week. What a rush. But to do it at a regular place. I don't think I could ever do that.

Tina Dixon
01-20-2006, 06:30 PM
I can't believe you girls actually go to a regular salon instead of one that is strictly for CD makeovers. You have way more nerve than I do. I have been trying to come up with the nerve to have a makeover at a local CD salon and finally did it last week. What a rush. But to do it at a regular place. I don't think I could ever do that.
CD place is still a hoot, got second apointment all set in a couple of weeks, hell they dress me and ever thing great fun.

AprilMae
01-20-2006, 07:13 PM
When I came out last week my S/O was a little hesitant of seeing me in Full Battle Dress(I never have been, but explained to her that is the point of the whole excercise, to do it at least once). But i mentioned to her about the CD Makeover places and she was actually kind of intrigued. She is considering giving me one as a birthday gift later this year, either for me to do as a weekend alone or maybe we will do a trip to Vegas or someplace like that.

Stacie Stockman
01-20-2006, 09:11 PM
I go to the same plac as LovableTJO is going to. I like the choice of not only getting a makeover done, but renting a outfit and the other accessories too. Since I still havent put a wardrobe of my own yet other than some accessories and one dress, its easier for me to get some girl than buying my own and trying my own hand at makeup.

rnewpoint GG
01-20-2006, 10:25 PM
Dana J, sounds like good advice and it gives me an idea as to what I could do special for my SO who is a TG. I think she would like that done. Rachel

susancheerleader
01-22-2006, 11:31 AM
First of all, yes I have been here a bunch of times since I posted the thread. I haven't responded becasue I am really a bit confused about taking this big step. And when I am confused, or feeling anything simular, I tend to just shut up until I manage to figure out just how I feel.
Yes, I like to dress. But I am very skeptical about it ONLY because I have always spent time worrieing about what OTHER PEOPLE THINK OF ME, instead of what I think of myself. I live in a very small town where everyone knows everyone, and they don't take well to people who are "different" then the normal. So for me to dress, it has been soley by myself. I love the feel of the clothes I wear. But I don't like how I look. I was (am) looking for ideas as to where to go in hopes that I might be able to look better, then perhaps feel better when either dressed as a man, or a women. They say looks isn't everything, but it sure helps.
Perhaps in this journey, I might find other people who feel the same way I do, and I will make friends with them. Which puts me back to another delema. Some people here (definitly not all) have PMed me that hint they are looking for a "gay" relationship. I will be up front, I am not gay. But in some cases I fear meeting anyone becasue I don't want to be in an akward position, if you know what I mean.
This whole crossdressing thing is real new to me. I would feel so much beter if it were more socialy acceptable, instead of hiding in the house. It even seems to me that those who are ""out", many arn't really "out" unless they are among a group of known people who accept it. Indeed there are others that feel just as comfortable dressed alone in public, but there are some who will only do it in a group, or not at all and just dress in thier home.
The point I am driving at is that I am a work in progress. I have so much to learn, and I am in a bad spot becasue I do worry about others image of myself. I can not stand being laughed at or ridiculed in anyway. I take it all to heart, and get very emotional.
I am sorry I haven't posted a thank you to those who are posting to this thread with ideas. I honestly do want to try something of a make over.
I realy don't think I am posting how I feel. I just want to be a girl, dress like a girl, and look like a girl when I want. And be a guy, dress like a guy, and look like a guy when I want.
Where do I fit in all this?
I am really confusing everyone arn't I.
I am sorry.

Tina Dixon
01-22-2006, 11:34 AM
I go to the same plac as LovableTJO is going to. I like the choice of not only getting a makeover done, but renting a outfit and the other accessories too. Since I still havent put a wardrobe of my own yet other than some accessories and one dress, its easier for me to get some girl than buying my own and trying my own hand at makeup.
Love your dress;)

DanaJ
01-22-2006, 11:42 AM
I just want to be a girl, dress like a girl, and look like a girl when I want. And be a guy, dress like a guy, and look like a guy when I want.
I am really confusing everyone arn't I.
I am sorry.OK, this is exactly what the makeover thing is about - to look like a girl when you want, and then get changed back into a guy when you want. Have you seen my makeover photo threads? I enjoy the whole makeover thing, but I always get changed back afterwards. They aren't going to do anything to you that cannot be reversed (like nail polish that you mentioned). If you live in a small town, go to a nearby big city.

The point is, if you want to do this, you can. If your profile info is correct, you are about at the age when I decided that I was not getting any younger, my life was passing me by and I was tired of dreaming about this! I decided to act upon it and I have never regretted a minute of it :)

S. Lisa Smith
01-22-2006, 12:39 PM
:yt: I couldn't agree more. I've used Merle Norman and Mary Kay ladies, just call and ask if they're OK with it. It is so much fun!

renee k
01-22-2006, 12:59 PM
Hi Susan,

You might want to try Glamor Boutique in Auburn MA.
Home of Austin's Angels, she does some pretty awsome makeovers!

Huggs, Renee

susancheerleader
01-22-2006, 02:19 PM
OK, this is exactly what the makeover thing is about - to look like a girl when you want, and then get changed back into a guy when you want........ I was tired of dreaming about this! I decided to act upon it and I have never regretted a minute of it :)

This is about where I am at.
I guess I just need to get the guts to do it.
Edit add: Yes my profile (such as it is) is correct.