PDA

View Full Version : Can we truly stop? (All responses welcomed)

Marcelle
07-27-2014, 08:58 AM
Hi all,

I figured it has been some time since I posted a "musing of my mind" and as I am nursing a few injuries and Isha time is not really an option right now I thought . . . "Why not post?" I will try to keep it short (yeah I know . . . "sure Isha" :blah:)

Anyway, I noticed a theme in a few threads about "curing, stopping, halting, taking a hiatus and whatnot" from CDing. A response to a thread started by Laura (If a cure existed would you still be you?) about exercising willpower as a potential key to stopping got me thinking . . . Can we truly just quit if we exercise willpower? I am interested in all takes on this (and of course will put my own spin on it) but I would ask that we keep things to responding to the question "Can we quit" and not spiral into "should CDing be cured" "would you want to cured" . . . Thanks. :battingeyelashes:

While I agree in theory that "will power" is a strong enforcer when it comes to some things in our lives and has been very helpful for curbing a variety of addictions . . . I truly believe that CDing is not an addiction in the true sense of the word. Yes while some CDers can get addicted to buying shoes, dresses, undies, etc., these tend to be secondary to the need to dress not the cause of dressing. So, while there is no real body of literature which lends itself to "why we CD" most tend to agree it sits on the spectrum between nature (biological) and nurture (social) most likely more biological than social. For myself I know that Isha (i.e., dressing) is integral to my personality as much as my boy side is. I am not addicted to her, she is just there.

There are lots of examples of will power being used to help to curb addictions like alcoholism, gambling, drugs (i.e., success). However, contrarily CDing has a high recidivism (not the best choice of words . . . sorry) rate. All you have to do is read this forum to identify the countless attempts at "purge" only to return to CDing. Yes it is possible that some folks have had success and have gone on with their lives but from what I have read both on this forum and scholarly journals . . . it is very rare. So while addictive personalities can be controlled by exercising "will power" in addition to support groups, counselling, etc. . . . not so much for CDing.

IMO CDing is not an addiction akin to others as most of the others lead to some sort of "self destructive" behavior. On the other hand from what I have read on this forum, for many CDers dressing (in whatever form), tends to have the opposite effect in that it calms them, gives them clarity and makes them feel happy. In my own personal circumstances, I suppressed my desires for 30 plus years until Isha made her appearance. However during that time I slowly slid from happy go lucky guy :) to angry hostile douche bag husband :Angry3: and finally spiralling into a very dark depressive place (truly self-destructive) :sad:. It wasn't until I embraced Isha that I managed to pull myself back. Yes, you can argue that some CDers may spend way too much money on clothes, potentially lose friends, family and livelihood due to CDing but is that truly "self-destructive" in the manner a gambling addiction is or drug use is self-destructive? The end result is that the CDer (for the most part) is at peace with her/himself (once they accept themselves) and is able to cope better in the world.

So while it might be easy to say " take off that dress, put on pants and just do it" I think we are dealing with something different than an addiction (for most). So IMHO I don't think we can truly quit. We might be able to take a hiatus for various periods to time but we will always return to CDing in some form or another.

So what are your thoughts on this?

Hugs

Isha

MissTee
07-27-2014, 09:05 AM
Same here, Isha. Once I learned to accept me in all my weirdness (including dressing) I became much happier inside, and according to my wife, much easier to live with. I simply do not see me going cold turkey and quitting because I would be miserable.

Lucy_Bella
07-27-2014, 09:11 AM
Good question and I guess the answer would depend on what type of CDER you are..Can you stop being you ? would be the question for most on this site but I like to look a little deeper into this cding thing..

I picture myself on a deserted island ( no girl stuff around for miles) ..I've think I have found my answer ..Now ask yourself that same question would you find a way to compensate your cding needs with no girl things ?

Jodi
07-27-2014, 09:23 AM
No, we can not stop. This is 61 years of cd experience speaking.

Jodi

Marcelle
07-27-2014, 09:43 AM
. . . I picture myself on a deserted island ( no girl stuff around for miles) ..I've think I have found my answer ..Now ask yourself that same question would you find a way to compensate your cding needs with no girl things ?

Hi Lucy . . . very good counter question and one I had to give some thought to. I guess in the sense do you mean would I find a way to "dress en femme" (grass skirt and coconut shell bra comes to mind :battingeyelashes: ). Probably not as I would be too busy figuring out to survive. However, that part of me which is Isha would remain resident - dressing is not sexual for me it is just part and parcel of who I am so the compulsion to dress "en femme" would most likely mitigate (not disappear) if I did not have the opportunity. When I left the desert island then I would most likely return to dressing as the opportunity would present itself again. Hope that makes sense. :)

Hugs

Isha

Alice Torn
07-27-2014, 09:43 AM
I believe that extreme circumstances can alter ones' behaviour, such as being put in jail or prison, or put into military service in war zones, or like Lucy said, on a deserted island, with no lady stuff. Religions that condemn crossdressing, make it extremely hard for a member to be one. I have been through that. It is DADT, like a DADT marriage. If the urge, or compulsion, drive to CD is gone, then I think one can quit. Most who quit, likely will have the inner girl, or CD, still pulling, and unless one replaces CDing with other hobbies, interests, people, it would knaw at times, sometimes awful. I don't think that would go away completely. i believe one can quit the ACT of dressing, though.

kimdl93
07-27-2014, 09:45 AM
I totally reject attempts to associate transgenderism with addictive behavior. (On a side note, I question the whole will power notion of curing addiction, but that's a whole other subject.).

My father was left handed and grew up in an age where it was actually still viewed as a problem. Through his school years he was forced to write right-handed. He did so dutifully, even after finishing school, and his hand writing was atrocious! Despite the social pressure and even misguided punishment, he remained left handed. No amount of will power was going to make him normal in that respect.

I know this to be true of my gender identity. Whether I choose to dress or not at any given moment, I am what I am. Believe me, I tried for decades to repress or deny this aspect of myself. All that exercise in will-power yielded was self loathing, frustration and sometimes not so latent anger.

I know it's possible to suppres or repress or even pronounce oneself as cured. But I also know the visceral, emotional and even physical toll resulting from repression and denial.

Dena
07-27-2014, 09:54 AM
No, I don't think I can stop (I have no desire to do so). How I dress has changed though. I met an accepting woman (we dressed as ladies of the night for our first halloween together). When we met I had explored female impersonation for several years, but hadn't found what I wanted in regards to socializing enfemm. I wanted to dress up and socialize with women, which isn't easy to do! Then I grew a beard and haven't dressed all the way in many years. I still have my wardrobe, though these days I'll just lounge in my silk pj's or nightgown and robe. I always wear panties and sleep in a nightgown.

Then we got married and bought a house and I wonder if I'll ever have any meaningful time to myself!

Jenniferathome
07-27-2014, 09:54 AM
I am sure that one can quit dressing for very long periods, but one is still a cross dresser. The result of "stopping" is adverse personality issues. For me, when I was in hiding from my wife, I was colder, less loving, and generally harder in every way. At some point, cross dressing will happen again, however. It may simply be underwear, but it will happen.

As an aside, I do not agree with your comment about cross dressing being an addiction.

Seana Summer
07-27-2014, 10:10 AM
I think some can stop and some can not. It kind of depends on how much you enjoy Crossdressing. To some it is just clothing. To others it is a major part of who they are

I enjoy crossdressing and really have no need to stop. If something came along that I enjoyed more and conflicted with CDing than I will not CD.

The I think the question for many is, what do you really enjoy? What brings you comfort and happiness? There are few things that are more important than ones own enjoyment of life........... But there are a few

MsVal
07-27-2014, 10:12 AM
I have a great deal of willpower but I don't have much faith that crossdressing is something that I can quit.

Many years ago I had a problem with drinking. I made up my mind that I would not do that any more and one day I simply quit. Some years later I went from a pack and a half smoker to zero one morning by just stopping. More recently, I dropped 1/3 of my weight in under a year using the same willpower.

I'm not boasting, I have plenty of compensatory failures, but those things that are difficult for lots of people were easy for me. I was able to set my mind to accomplish those personal goals and got them done.

Those were addictions and behaviors. Crossdressing is something different. Something internal.

I recently had a lot of trouble with depression and anxiety. My medical doctor put me on a drug that stopped those feelings, and it works very well. I told my therapist about it and said I was going to use it as an aid for quitting through willpower. She said it could help a lot with the anxiety, but it won't do a thing for the thoughts.

It appears that she is right (again). The compelling, intense desire to crossdress (or anything else, for that matter) is gone. I can now go without crossdressing and not feel miserable. The thoughts still occupy my mind all day long. The medicine has blocked my passion to act on any thoughts, whether CD or not.

(Unfortunate side effect: While sadness and anxiety are gone, so are happiness and excitement. It's not a great tradeoff but it's what I've got right now.)

Best wishes
MsVal

ReluctantDebutant
07-27-2014, 10:34 AM
What a great topic, Isha, its one that I have been thinking a lot of lately.

Addictions.

Addictions don't have to be "self destructive" to be an addiction and feeling calm and happy it what causes all addictions. To have an addiction all one has to do is to engage in a behavior that causes certain brain receptors to receive neural chemicals that it really, really likes. These receptors the build up a tolerance for the chemical which means it needs more and more until it can't take any more. But if the receptors stop receiving the chemical it starts to go trough withdrawal causing a negative feedback to the body. Addictions that come from something internal like the self generated feelings from CDing are harder to recognize and are harder to break then an external substance like alcohol

Cross-dressing feels really really good doesn't it? It probably felt even better years ago when one first started. Now one does it just to feel normal, just to get through the day. If one stops dressing one feels grumpy and irritable. I don't know how many times I have read on this site some form of "When I first started it was all about the thrill then as I grew older it just became about feeling comfortable, like myself, and when I tried to quit I became a mean person". This is a classic addiction cycle, whether it's booze, caffeine, nicotine, cocaine, heroine, sex, food, or anything else. It hard to see as an addiction because no CDer looks like the what one thinks of an addict.

Whether the result of all this is negative or positive to living is irrelevant to it being an addiction. It is how this addiction effects an individual's life that matters, and this of course varies from person to person. I would say the high failure rate for CD quitters is due to there being far fewer dangers to falling back. An alcoholic has t fear things like liver damage, black outs, getting into criminal activity, etc...

I believe it is possible to quit CDing with the right motivation to a certain extent. Just like a recovering alcoholic might have stopped drinking the temptation to go back will always remain.

Lucy_Bella
07-27-2014, 10:34 AM
Probably not as I would be too busy figuring out to survive. However, that part of me which is Isha would remain resident - dressing is not sexual for me it is just part and parcel of who I am so the compulsion to dress "en femme" would most likely mitigate (not disappear) if I did not have the opportunity. When I left the desert island then I would most likely return to dressing as the opportunity would present itself again. Hope that makes sense. :)

But also , from what I read in your reply, was you would not have to find the need to compensate the need to express femininity ( because it's not sexual for you ) ..Question is why would that be any different once rescued? To me ( and I don't know who Isah really is but from what I have gathered she is a very bright ,polite and interesting individual ) by being on that Island was the cure ( from the original question cure to cding ) and maybe we choose to not accept the cure off the Island because of the opportunity to dress, and why we do it, or could it be that it's too convenient ( like chocolate to GGs)..

There really isn't a cure for who we are and as stated you do not have to be dressed enfemme to be Isha the point is we choose to dress to better fit our expression.expressions ..

So to really answer the question is there a cure ? No there isn't as long as there is nothing wrong with what we do and we are not harming ourselves or others .. Why would there be it's not a disease ? In most cases the CDing is actually curing something else.. But cding as a whole isn't needed for survival although some may think it is..

That makes perfect sense :) ..So looking into the question even more in dept .. Lets say you have bad eyesight and you've lost your eye glasses /contacts .. Those would help you in survival or make a difference in your survival.. Compare those eye glasses /contacts to your needs to express femininity ( as many say it is a dire need for survival because of stress ) ...I understand that and I just so happen to agree with it but not stranded on a deserted Island.. Your reply makes sense because you said you would still be who you are Isha without compensating..

I hope that this thread is about CDing /X-dressing and not being a T.G. because that would change everything you can not stop being a T.G. ..that's why labels help sometimes ..Did you mean stop being a T.G.?

Stephanie47
07-27-2014, 10:50 AM
Every year from mid June to the first Wednesday after Labor Day Stephanie is packed away. I know Stephanie can and probably will reappear after Labor Day, but, there is no pent up frustration because I cannot wear some of my pretty summery dresses during the summer- sigh. Can I kick cross dressing? Like in never again, not just for the summer? I don't know. There was a time when I had absolutely no stimuli around me (females and feminine attire) to entice me. Yep, combat in a foreign land out in the jungle will break many habits, and, create new habits and issues.

I've tried to figure out why I cross dress. Yes, my mother thought I should have been a girl to round out her concept of an ideal family- husband, wife, son and daughter. I do remember at a very early age rebelling against her thoughts. I suspect the lack of nurturing pushed me to cross dress. Sometimes I envy those who were attired as a young child in female clothing by sisters or cousins. That would explain it easier than wishing you were a girl to seek someone's love an affection. Me? I never consciously thought I should be a girl. I think much of the physical abuse through corporal punishment was due to my mother's disappointment in my gender. This year my mother finally passed on. Although I had been estranged from my mother for many years, and, I felt absolutely nothing when she did pass, my desire to don feminine clothing really waned. I am beginning to suspect my cross dressing was still a subconscious effort to gain her favor. Now, she is dead. No need to gain favor. Does that make sense?

I'll know in the fall whether I "kicked" the habit or compulsion or whatever. Yes, I have bought some pretty dresses this summer, as recent as Friday. Will I put them on the first Wednesday after Labor Day? Will it fulfill some need? I will see. Right now I feel totally comfortable in a pair of cut off jeans so threadbare my butt almost shows through, bare footed, and wearing a white tee shirt.

Claire Cook
07-27-2014, 10:57 AM
Hi Isha,

Another thoughtful Isha-thread. What you have written really mirrors my experience. There was a time when I too had put Claire in the closet (also for maybe 30 years) and locked the door. Interesting insight: Claire had dinner the other night with a long-time GG friend who has known me both personally and professionally. When we were working together was the "locked door period". (She was one of the first people I came out to.) She noted that at the time I sometimes seemed confused, and not nearly as outgoing and self-confident as I am now. I realized that probably resulted from repressing part of my being that was just that -- part of me -- and that I was going through a period much as you describe. Now I am happier than I have ever been in my life, and I'd like to think that reflects on everyone who knows me.

How do you "quit" something that is an intimate part of your being? I don't think we really can, and I don't think we should. But there maybe another side to this. Some of us may not have CD/TG as deeply rooted, and perhaps for them "quitting" is possible. Or there may be circumstances that just won't let us CD.

KittyD
07-27-2014, 12:33 PM
"Can we quit"
Doesn't that kind'a state that you or me or all that CDs would have self doubt in something that they enjoy doing.
Like why would you want to question something that makes you feel happy.
Failing that I guess CD patches or CD gum hasn't been invented yet... :)

samantha rogers
07-27-2014, 01:20 PM
Very thoughtful, as always, Isha. Thanks.
Can crossressers stop?
I think it depends entirely on how sane they want to be. lol
If it is simply a matter of stopping I have no doubt that with a gun to anyones head they can fit their behavior to any situation to survive.
But if a sane and healthy approach to life is the goal, then the answer would be no.
How can you, in honesty to yourself and with no ill after affects, simply dismiss that which is intrinsically a part of you?
You cannot.
The repercussions, whether felt consciously or not, will be present in the form of personality issues. You cannot simply repress things without them jumping out to bite you (or someone else) at some unforeseen time and place, sometimes with dire consequences.
That way madness lies.
Are there not enough crazy people in the world, already? LOL

PaulaQ
07-27-2014, 01:22 PM
Isha,

The short answer to your question is "No, you will never truly stop because this is a part of you."

I've been sober 24 years. I know that I am powerless over alcohol. I thought I understood powerlessness, until I really honestly and forthrightly faced my gender last year. And I realized that I was powerless over it - and that it was hundreds of times more powerful than my powerlessness over alcohol - I was a fool, I didn't understand powerlessness at all.

What I finally realized was that my cross dressing / gender issues weren't an addiction. They didn't make my life unmanageable. For me, the addiction was trying to pretend I was something other than what I really was - a man. Once I stopped fighting my identity, life started to get better.

tiffanynjcd24
07-27-2014, 01:28 PM
Nope I tried that before but with the help of a therapist, I know that crossdressing is a part of me

Dani0948
07-27-2014, 02:24 PM
To answer your question - Yes I can quit, but I don't WANT to and most likely never will WANT to quit. I have never really fealt guilty about my desire to dress. I have always enjoyed it and do not believe the enjoyment will ever go away. I actually stopped dressing for 20+ years, but never stopped thinking/fantasizing about dressing. I don't know if this is an addiction, compulsion obsession, etc, and if I ever figure it out, I'll be able to explain it to my wife.

CynthiaD
07-27-2014, 02:25 PM
My first reaction to this question was "Of course you can stop. But why would you want to?" This might seem like a flip answer, but it isn't. If you're going to stop, there must be a reason for stopping. And if there's a reason for stopping, there must be negative consequences for engaging in this behavior. In fact, the negative consequences must outweigh the benefits of engaging in this behavior. This brings us to the real question, "What are the negative consequences, and what are the benefits?"

These are really tough questions. In some cases, the negative consequences are bad. Very bad. But in many cases they they are either non-existent or much less than they are perceived to be beforehand. As far as the benefits go, there doesn't seem to be any uniform answer to this. The answer is different for different people.

I can only answer for myself. The main perceived negative was that people would think less of me. The truth is that most people didn't really care, and the ones that did care were people I didn't care about. Yes, there were a few hurdles to get over, but most people close to me have come to realize that dressing mad made me a much more loving, tolerant, and caring person. This change in my personality was gradual, but it has made "the weirdness" much easier for them to absorb.

As for the benefits, they are subtle. I've always perceived myself as female. I started crossdressing at an early age, probably around 3. However, around high-school age I decided to give up dressing, and live my life as a male. I really worked hard at this, but despite having considerable success in life, I was always unhappy and frustrated without really knowing why. Eventually I started dressing again, and this made all the difference in the world. I became less selfish and less self-centered. I gradually found myself able to reach out to others, and be the caring, loving person I'd always wanted to be. I eventually came to realize that by giving up dressing, I had lost the best part of myself.

For me, the benefits so outweigh the negative consequences, that I couldn't imagine ever stopping. Yes, I could stop, but why would I want to?

Cynthia

Donnagirl
07-27-2014, 02:36 PM
I've known I'm a crossdresser all my life... Some of my earliest memories are of borrowing my sisters clothes. But, as a youth and growing up I was able to easily surpress it for years at a time. For the greater part of my life while Donna was always there she was not ever an urge, a need or driving force to 'release'. All that changed last year.

Now, well I tried to go twelve days without 'dressing' and while I succeeded, it was not pleasant. Something has definitely changed to make her a lot more dominant within my personality. While I would not call it a addiction, the symptoms are similar in that denial, 'cold turkey', just stopping is just no longer possible... I have willpower, but that is not 'cure'.

After so many years hidden away, Donna is here to stay. I'm sure, well fairly sure that her level of dominance has plateaued and boy me is still well and truly in the drivers seat.... But...

Teresa
07-27-2014, 03:06 PM
Isha you may have picked up from my answers before but I know my Cding is sexual and deeply linked to sharing with females. Having the will power to stop CDing doesn't stop my sex drive but it does make a big difference, I have to face facts and be honest on this one and accept not being ashamed of it.
To put myself though mental agony to to try and prove I have the will power to stop would be crazy now because I've only just managed to openly accept my CDing since joining the forum after fifty years of suffering in silence. I am a much happier person now and better husband , father and grandfather. Stopping now could totally turn that around !

AnneC
07-27-2014, 03:12 PM
I guess I could stop if I really had to do so, but it would be against my will and I would be very unhappy. The "urge" does come and go sometimes and there have been plenty of discussions about this on this forum. But I truly believe that this desire to dress can never really go away.

Eryn
07-27-2014, 03:22 PM
For me the question isn't if I can stop, but if I can stop and still be happy as I am when I dress. The answer in my case is no, and luckily I have no pressing reason to stop.

Tina G
07-27-2014, 03:24 PM
I am happier as i am now then anytime before in my life, I've never been able to really stop even when i tried to tell myself i could. No going back now, i'm done hiding.

Tina

Crista
07-27-2014, 03:31 PM
I've been dressing for 35 years, and I've stopped many times! But now I'm truly comfortable with it, and I don't see any reason to stop. It just makes me a happier person.

Alex Dorset
07-27-2014, 03:34 PM
I think some can stop and some can not. It kind of depends on how much you enjoy Crossdressing. To some it is just clothing. To others it is a major part of who they are
Interesting use of "enjoy". I think perhaps the point is that if you just do something for pleasure, then you can stop (though it might be unpleasant). However, for quite a few people it's about more than ordinary pleasure. The spectrum runs through something a bit more hard-wired - perhaps "fulfillment" is a good word - to those for whom it's about who they think they are, which is what I think CynthiaD is talking about.

I enjoy crossdressing and really have no need to stop. If something came along that I enjoyed more and conflicted with CDing than I will not CD.
I used to think that about myself, too. I thought CD-ing was part secret rebellion, part titillation. Once I got into a serious relationship, I said to myself, the dresses and high-heels would go to the charity shop. "Dressing-up" would be part of my youthful past, like eating take-aways from the carton or leaving the washing-up until tomorrow - acceptable behaviour for a bachelor, anathema to a wife. ;-)

It didn't work out quite like that. I found excuses for putting the clothes in the loft, rather than throwing them out, and then for getting a few favourite things down and hiding them away, dressing up in secret when my girlfriend wasn't around, and so on. I became quite sneaky, devious even, and didn't realise (or admit to myself) what I was doing. I'm not saying that would happen to you... but it might, and you might be quite surprised if/when it does.

KellyJameson
07-27-2014, 03:56 PM
Its interesting that most crossdressers mainly or strictly identify as heterosexual but its also common to fantasize about being with a man even if these fantasies always remain just that.

I have wondered if many crossdressers are female identified but their sexuality blinds them to this truth so as they age and their sexuality wanes their female identity emerges.

Crossdressers who want and must be seen are different than those who only want to see themselves dressed and I think this goes to sex. One is private and the other is public.

Our gender identity needs to be publicly shared so someone who identifies as male will protect this identity by hiding the crossdressing unless they need sexually or for identity what the crossdressing can buy publicly.

If you find it sexually thrilling to be desired as a woman than there will be the temptation to crossdress publicly. If you "Need" to be identified as a woman than you will use the crossdressing to be "seen" as a woman

Publicly it is about sex or identity. Privately men have a strong relationship to the breast where they almost seem to adore breasts and breast are probably the strongest symbol of femininity so owning them brings both comfort and sexual tingles.

Women do not relate to breasts the way men do and the lifelong relationship to breasts could be a clear indication of ones gender and sexual identity.

Transsexuals and homosexual men relate differently to breasts than do heterosexual men.

Ultimately whether someone stops or not or if the reasons for crossdressing change overtime will be decided by ones gender and sexuality including actual and not repressed sexual identity.

Crossdressing is a form of exploration, development and self referencing. Things that last a lifetime.

Marcelle
07-27-2014, 04:22 PM
What a great topic, Isha, its one that I have been thinking a lot of lately.

Addictions.

Addictions don't have to be "self destructive" to be an addiction and feeling calm and happy it what causes all addictions. To have an addiction all one has to do is to engage in a behavior that causes certain brain receptors to receive neural chemicals that it really, really likes. These receptors the build up a tolerance for the chemical which means it needs more and more until it can't take any more. But if the receptors stop receiving the chemical it starts to go trough withdrawal causing a negative feedback to the body. Addictions that come from something internal like the self generated feelings from CDing are harder to recognize and are harder to break then an external substance like alcohol . . . I believe it is possible to quit CDing with the right motivation to a certain extent. Just like a recovering alcoholic might have stopped drinking the temptation to go back will always remain.

Hi RD,

I cannot deny that neurochemicals which stimulate the pleasure centers of the brain (i.e., dopamine) may be involved as there are no studies to prove either yes or no. However, if this was an addiction of sorts you would have to have a cause (dressing) and effect (pleasure) to stimulate the neurochemicals across the synapses . . . so a prima facia case could be made that if dressing was purely for sexual pleasure then dopamine levels would rise and possibly lead to tolerance thresholds rising (hence more requirement to dress to get aroused). However, this reasoning does not account for those of use who dress because it is part of who we are. Dressing is not sexual for me, it does not arouse me, I definitely don't feel sexy when dressed . . . I just feel like me. I dress because it helps me to express who I am (at least that part of me) to world the same as I dress in guy clothes to express that part of me.

Regarding the cycle you mentioned you likened a CDer who can't dress for a period of time to withdrawal symptoms seen in addicts. Again, if the pleasure centers are being activated it is plausible. However for many (myself included) CDing is integral to who I am. Not being able to express it by supressing (quitting cold turkey sort of speak) would not cause withdrawal symptoms but pure emotional distress which is a different beast. My first experience fully dressed was at 17 years old, I did it once, enjoyed it and never did it again . . . I was ashamed, horrified, ecstatic, pleased and distraught all in one fell swoop. I was new to the military and there was no way I was going to be one of those weirdoes who dresses in women's clothing. So I put it away for 32 years. I wasn't addicted to it as addiction takes time to build up those chemical dependencies. I merely supressed an integral part of my psyche. I survived by hook or by crook but in the end it caught up with me and sent me to a very dark emotional place. This was not addiction, it was emotional well being. If I was to quit now, I would most likely return to a state of emotional upheaval. Now I can stop dressing for a time not because I can beat it but because I have accepted who I am and even though I can't dress at that time, I know that when I can, I will because it is part of me.

But also , from what I read in your reply, was you would not have to find the need to compensate the need to express femininity ( because it's not sexual for you ) ..Question is why would that be any different once rescued? . . . Did you mean stop being a T.G.?

Hi Lucy,

Similar to my response above I may be able to stop dressing for the pragmatic reason of "I can't" but then again I would not stop denying who I am and as such I would not be denying that Isha is an integral part of my psyche. So the Island is not a cure but a barrier to my ability to express who I am. Once rescued, then I would be free again to express who I am.

Although I am not a label gal, I don't differentiate between TG and CD as most agree that CD is part of the TG spectrum.

Hugs

Isha

Katey888
07-27-2014, 04:40 PM
Isha, I'm sure many of us have contemplated this a lot, especially those of us who have replied positively to other threads regarding the 'cure' or 'magic emergency brake'... I'm one of those... and people have already answered with a lot of truth that probably applies to many, if not most of us..

I have stopped several times in my life sometimes for many years - simple reason: other things in life were more important and demanded all my energy...
Complex (and probably subconscious) reason: fear of discovery in an environment that would have been catastrophic to my career, my family, my life...
I do consider myself fortunate that I apparently do not experience this condition to such a degree that this does not cause me problems when I have stopped - but yes, the feeling, however small, is there in the back of my mind that it doesn't feel wrong to do this... and that feeling can be reinvigorated when life circumstances change, and I don't think it's any coincidence that many (but not all) folk here are at a stage in life when they have some security and confidence that being 'outed' either voluntarily or accidentally will not completely scupper their lives... I believe those folk may well make up the majority of active participants here.

What we tend not to see or hear from much, are those folk that arrive here and for whatever reason stop and move on, without coming back to say - I did it, and I don't do it or need it any more... For sure, there must be some... :thinking:

I do believe that what causes any CDing beyond a purely 'fetish' need is something that relates to being TG - otherwise, why would we need to present what society expresses through fashion, as femininity or an expression that is not of our native gender...? We just experience it to different degrees... so those at the low end of the scale - as an example - can successfully get by with totally clandestine underdressing or existence. Those exhibiting a more powerful urge - perhaps like yourself - can be content with a public presentation of your TG nature, but that also requires coming out to your SOs (for better or worse) because the stress is too much otherwise... And off the scale are those amongst us who are TS, who can't be content with any partial presentation...

That's probably a bit simplistic - but it works for me, and I think it covers most of our mainstream folk, but it is no way an addiction, although I do think there are some of us that exhibit aspects of compulsive behaviour, it's probably not significantly different from the world of muggles...

For some reason I don't find myself pondering the making of a grass skirt on a desert island, but I probably would have to do something creative with the local pearls... ;)

Katey x

Samantha_Smile
07-27-2014, 04:59 PM
While it would be very easy for me to say "Well would you quit modifying cars or building PCs?" I also get that certain circumstances can cause certain pressures to stop/quit.

Can we really quit?
Well, technically, yes. But you have to considder a few factors.

Harm. Who is it harming if you dress? To what extent? But also, how much harm (emotions count) will you be coming to by not dressing.
This after all,is part of our personality whether its a secret or not. Fetishistic or not.
Human sexuality and gender are complex things and can't be boiled down to 'quitting'.
I can quit, but it would be just as easy as turning my skin black, or my blood green.

ptp009
07-27-2014, 05:12 PM
I started dressing in my teenage years but wasn't until my late 30's started the dressing and guilt trip that comes with each event. I tried talking to my wife of a previous marriage back then went to therpy, purged tons of great clothes over and over again only to find that I would want to dress for a period of time only to stop and purge again. I bet I've read and talked to everyone that could help me and about the age of 45ish I finally relialized that I would have to accept this dressing as part of my life or I would go crazy. I now have a wear at home somewhat policy dress a little and always underneat, go out dressed one or twice a month, drive dressed go out with other Cd's and really just accepted it as part of my life. COULD I just continue to purge and guess what my choices were? I THINK so but when the time came I have learned to enjoy dressing publicly and with other as part of my life. Some people know some people don't I do know that accepting it has made my life easier to deal with it. My wife has accepted this part of me as long as people in my community don't get to see me but overall its made my life better as a person and though there are times I'd like to dress 24/7 I know that thats not part of my life and I can get on with my life enjoying being a woman on some days and being a man the rest of the time. I guess hat I'm trying to say in this long about way; Learn to accept what you can and Just get along with your life "IT'S NOT GOING AWAY Jenn

Mishell
07-27-2014, 05:27 PM
I can purge and I can take a break, but I can never actually stop. It's like my artistic talent. It's part of me. I've taken breaks but its so much a part of me that I always return to it. for 2 reasons. One, Its just me. Two, I love it.
Sometimes I'm too emotional, as a guy, like watching something very sweet on TV and I get teary eyed. I can no more stop those emotions than I can stop the Earth from rotating. Not unless I remove myself from society and live completely isolated from all stimuli.
I see a gal walking down the street thats got a cute pair of heels on, or a skirt, and I'm like, damn. I want those shoes, or skirt or dress. Same with watching TV..
Nope. I personally can never stop.

BLUE ORCHID
07-27-2014, 05:28 PM
Hi Isha, Why would I want to stop something that gives me so much pleasure ??

It's just like the Mafia, You just can't quit !!

Shirley Anne
07-27-2014, 05:36 PM
I have actually stopped dressing for over a year now for no aparrent reason. I am free to dress whenever I like, my wife is fully supportive but for some reason I simply cant be bothered. Over the last year I have bought new items of clothing and make up yet have never worn or used any of it, have stopped all the leg and body shaving and on occasions have grown a beard again, I still think about and plan to dress but when the time comes just cant be bothered and no idea why.

Colleen03
07-27-2014, 06:07 PM
I think I have to agree with you on this one. I went through some pretty hard times in my life the past couple of years and I found I dressed less & less and the desire simply wasn't there. I don't really wish to get into the specifics on what was going on, but it did lead me to take anti depressants. My wife & I moved from one town to the next and she found some of my en femme stuff. Since she is unaccepting I came up with a BS story about how they belonged to a friend at Halloween and he left them behind when he moved just a week latter. Luckily she bought into it b/c this guy did dress as a woman for Halloween. I also took that as a sign, that maybe it was time to ditch dressing all together, so I purged most of my things. I still have a few en femme items left and the urge to dress and look hot & sexy is starting to come back. I have been seriously thinking of renting a private mailbox to get girly things. I even found myself wandering through the ladies clothing section at Wally World the other day eyeing up bras & swimsuits. For the most part, I have been better. I got in touch with a friend on here who has been encouraging me. So in relation to your topic, that lady in the shadows never really goes away b/c in time I think I will be able to strap on the heels and not feel ashamed. I hate having to hide this from my wife and in some ways she has been the reasons why this has been a gradual process b/c what if she finds my things again?

Princess Chantal
07-27-2014, 06:27 PM
Eventhough I have quite the passion for my crossdressing, I reckon that retiring from it some day would not be all that much of a struggle. I'm the Barry Sanders (not the Brett Favre) of crossdressing LOL

Christen
07-27-2014, 06:40 PM
My quick thoughts .. for me crossdresssing is part of me, it always has been, always will. It certainly feels like an addiction and if I wanted to stop I think I'd have to treat it as such. So I might be able to be really strong and not crossdress, but I'd be a recovered crossdresser. Still wanting to but not touching the stuff, knowing that the moment I gave in all would be lost.
But as you say Isha, there are differences. Crossdressing, per se, doesn't harm anyone or anything, wallets excepted :)
So I could possibly stop crossdressing, and who knows it may happen, as others have described, but at the moment it would be removing a large chunk of my persona and I think i'd be a miserable sh#%

Christen x

Wildaboutheels
07-27-2014, 06:46 PM
Sure, it can be done. Why NOT? It IS an ADDICTION, for probably 99% or higher of MtF CDers, supported by a mountain of evidence at this site alone. [not to mention all those "other" sites which probably outnumber this site by 50 to 1 or better] Google alone shows 28 PAGES of results if you search for CROSSDRESSERS.

"Regular" folks beat "normal" addictions all the time, although quite clearly few can simply go cold turkey on alcohol, drugs or cancer sticks and I know many who have quit some of those addictions many times before succeeding.

But, there are NO OTHER ADDICTIONS that I know of that often end in/have ended in Os and therein lay the difference. IF Os were not both highly addictive AND extremely easy for almost any "healthy" male we would not be rapidly overpopulating the planet. I know one member here who has quit [for the last 18 months anyway] and another who posted on 7/08 "When I had a partner who was ready, willing, and able, and I was VERY fortunate to have a partner like that, I didn’t dress AT ALL. Once we broke up, I resumed my dressing…"

Rest assured she is NOT rowing alone in that boat.^^^

The more important issue is WHY one needs to stop.

Or what makes them think they NEED to stop.

Having ANYthing in one's life that CONTROLS them is a prime recipe for at least one unhappy soul if not many in their same orbit.

CONSUELO
07-27-2014, 06:51 PM
For me the answer is an unqualified NO! I tried purging and all that goes with it a long, long time ago and not only did it not work it made me feel unwell.
I first dressed when I was only about 5 years old and I have been doing it ever since. It was a central part of my exploration of sexuality from that age forward. I don't dress every day but always wear knickers and nightdresses as well as other female items. I will sometimes pair androgynous slacks with a blouse. I sit on the toilet always and use feminine perfume. This is all a part of who I am and I just don't want to ever deny it.
Perhaps it will fade away as I get older and lots of other things fade away including any sexual interest but that would not be the result of a deliberate decision on my part.

Deedee Skyblue
07-27-2014, 07:19 PM
I suppose it depends on who you are and why you dress. And how important is your reason for stopping. Do you dress for fun, or because it allows you to really be yourself? Will 'falling off the wagon' destroy your future? If I was convinced that my future depended on it, yes, I could stop. But the reason has to be compelling.

Deedee

ReluctantDebutant
07-27-2014, 07:29 PM
Regarding the cycle you mentioned you likened a CDer who can't dress for a period of time to withdrawal symptoms seen in addicts. Again, if the pleasure centers are being activated it is plausible. However for many (myself included) CDing is integral to who I am. Not being able to express it by supressing (quitting cold turkey sort of speak) would not cause withdrawal symptoms but pure emotional distress which is a different beast. My first experience fully dressed was at 17 years old, I did it once, enjoyed it and never did it again . . . I was ashamed, horrified, ecstatic, pleased and distraught all in one fell swoop. I was new to the military and there was no way I was going to be one of those weirdoes who dresses in women's clothing. So I put it away for 32 years. I wasn't addicted to it as addiction takes time to build up those chemical dependencies. I merely supressed an integral part of my psyche. I survived by hook or by crook but in the end it caught up with me and sent me to a very dark emotional place. This was not addiction, it was emotional well being. If I was to quit now, I would most likely return to a state of emotional upheaval. Now I can stop dressing for a time not because I can beat it but because I have accepted who I am and even though I can't dress at that time, I know that when I can, I will because it is part of me.

If pleasure centers weren't be activated for you then how did you liked this? How did you know this was part of you? Some part of your brain must have told you that this was good a right for you to do and it must have felt good. This good or pleasurable feeling must have been better than say watching a good movie or eating a nice meal. this pleasurable feeling must have been powerful enough to get you over the obstacles of shame, fear, and societal pressures. You say its about expressing a feminine side. There are ways for a man to express a feminine side without women's clothes.

A Tale of two CeeDees :D

Your tale has been told. So here is mine.

I'll start I my teens too. I did not fully dress I could only dress partial here or there from time to time. It felt wonderful but I didn't associate it with anything sexual. Sex-Ed back then talked more of when boy meets girl they never mentioned anything about when boy meets girdle. I just saw it as just part of myself that this was who I was. College, getting away from home allowed me to do more. But there was still always roommates, frat brothers, and others hanging around. I would keep putting it off telling myself not now, some day when its right. Pink fog would come and go often times at the wrong moment. It was always girl interrupted, After college, it was the army, after the army it was again roommates. I still didn't think of my dressing as a fetish I still did nothing sexual while dressed. But I still searched for an answer. I was watching discovery channel documentaries on the brain and sex. after over a decade and a half of staying away from anything that reeked of fetish I began to read medical articles on CD fetishes and I could see myself in them. It was confirmed shortly after that when I for the first time got dress and got hands on so to speak. Finally a few years ago I got my own house. I could finally dress now. I even had a room I could devote to it. I even was excited to start posting here. I dressed as often as I could. The more and more I dressed though the less and less joy I was having. I would still dress just to keep from feeling stress of not dressing but this just made it worse as I would stay in my house alone and bored. It finally got to a breaking point, I put my cross-dressing on a permanent hiatus until I could get a better handle on cross-dressing or quit all together.

Perhaps we are different breeds of cross-dressers shaped by our different histories? Or perhaps there are more similarities just different outcomes?

Angie G
07-27-2014, 07:43 PM
I think your view is right on the spot Isha. I for one tend to be not as happy happy happy when I'm not dressed in some way or other. And I know I could never just quit.And would not even think of it.:hugs:
Angie

Ressie
07-27-2014, 07:47 PM
"We" keep hearing that we can't quit. One would have to have a reason to quit first off. I think many of us could quit If that reason was strong enough. But "we" aren't all the same even though we all wear women's clothes. My reason to quit would likely be different than someone else's. As long as we have money and there are stores with ladies' departments, there isn't much chance of stopping for most of us. But will any of us have much choice if we end up in a nursing home?

Seana Summer
07-27-2014, 09:19 PM
Interesting use of "enjoy".

I'm not saying that would happen to you... but it might, and you might be quite surprised if/when it does.

Enjoy was probably not the best word of choice.

My intended point is that we are all different. Some are "better CDs" than others, some feel they must transition, and some feel no need to transition.

For some reason I feel the need to point out the broad spectrum of Crossdressers out there. For GG's and others who may be reading this board be aware that not all Crossdressers are heading for bottom surgery in the future. Some of us just like to wear a dress once in a while. Some more than once in a while. Some would like to wear full female attire 24/7, and some are heading for full transition.

At one point I had quit for more than a decade, got rid of everything, and I could again.......... if the want or need presented itself. Not everyone can.........but some can. Not bragging ......just saying we are all different. So to answer what I thought the original question was "can we truly stop?" Some can.... some can't.......I did not truly stop 20+ years ago (considering I started again a decade or so later) but I think it is very possible to stop, at least for me.

Marcelle
07-27-2014, 09:57 PM
If pleasure centers weren't be activated for you then how did you liked this? How did you know this was part of you? Some part of your brain must have told you that this was good a right for you to do and it must have felt good. This good or pleasurable feeling must have been better than say watching a good movie or eating a nice meal. this pleasurable feeling must have been powerful enough to get you over the obstacles of shame, fear, and societal pressures. You say its about expressing a feminine side. There are ways for a man to express a feminine side without women's clothes.

RD,

Our responses to life events are much more complex then just having dopamine flood or neurons. Yes they play a big part and the premise that is akin to addiction would mean I would have had to have repeated exposure to CDing over a period of time build a tolerance . . . hence chemical addiction. In my case I did it one time which was enough to scare me to death as it questioned my whole being (who was I?). Using this premise of pleasure centers then we could argue we are addicted to everything that brings us joy in life and that is not the case IMHO. I enjoy a good movie and a good meal as much as the next person and I am sure my dopamine levels soar when I engage in those activities but I am not addicted to them, I just enjoy them. Neurotransmitters are only one piece of the human condition puzzle as we are sentient beings guided not just by raw chemical responses bit reasoning, behavioral adaptation, morality, faith and just plain common sense all which determine what is right for us and what is not. Believe me, it was not the pleasure center of my brain which brought me to embrace Isha, it was the dark despair and utter hopelessness of not accepting me for who I was which brought me to where I am today.

I like dressing in my uniform when I am at work, it brings me a great sense of pride and dare I say pleasure however I am not addicted to it. I like that part of me who is a soldier as he is me, the same way I like that part of me who is Isha as she is me. I never said it was about expressing a feminine side for me (I don't differentiate between the feminine and masculine traits as there are only human traits). Expressing myself as Isha "en femme" is not about expressing a feminine version of me, it is about expressing a part of me who happens to dress like a woman . . . I know that sounds odd but nothing says because I choose to present as a woman that I am trying to be feminine.

Hugs

Isha

Lucy_Bella
07-27-2014, 10:53 PM
Seriously...We need to stop denying all other forms just because it doesn't fit yours.. Definition..http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/addiction

Jenny Elwood
07-28-2014, 02:14 AM
The question for me lies not so much in: Can I quit, but in can I prosper once I quit. I did quit once before (for five years at least, is that long enough to count?) but I only seemed to regress in the process, since I failed at garnering my sustenance from the right source. From what I'm told, there really is only one way to quit and progress towards a life of joy (if not necessarily happiness). Forum rules disallow me to talk about that though.

ReineD
07-28-2014, 03:42 AM
First, I don't think one answer fits all. People crossdress for different reasons and the intensity varies among individuals.

I tend to agree with Wild, that for the vast majority of CDers, it's a sexual thing, whether it has reached the point of compulsion or not; people can CD for fetish without it being problematic. Many (most?) fetish CDs are likely not members here since this forum wouldn't be fun for them. They go to the gadzillion other websites that cater to men who do this for thrills or sexual pleasure. Maybe some of them double dip and come here too. So can they stop? I suppose it depends on whether CDing brings more negative consequences to their lives than positive ones. But I think it's just a fun thing to do for most. Maybe some stop when and if the sexual thrill is no longer there, when maybe some even join this site!

As to our members who ponder things (not the ones who JUST post pics in the Gallery, or who like to have fun in the stereotypical CD threads like panties, bras, triggers, etc) this is what I don't get: If IT is an integral part of a personality, then we have to define "IT". Is it a female identity (TS)? If so, then why is it acceptable to have a male body and a male life? Or is it a thing for clothes (for some) or for femininity (for others)? Wanting to be feminine is quite different than having a female gender identity. And if it's a thing for femininity, then is this not another variation of having a thing for clothes? Or is it an identity not as a TS but as a crossdresser in its own right (a male who dresses)? If so, then again can we say there is a female gender identity involved? I mean, do crossdressers really have Gender Dysphoria (a conflict between physical sex and gender identity), if they do not wish to make any changes to their bodies and they are happy in their male lives?

And for the life of me I cannot understand the late bloomers, the ones who say they had no clue before their 40s, 50s, or even 60s, although I do understand having repressed this for years and perhaps having it come out only in fantasy until such point when it could no longer be repressed.

For the record, my SO began when he entered adolescence. He did it in hiding throughout his teenage years like many CDers here, but put it aside during college. No privacy. He dabbled a bit during the three years after his undergrad degree, but put it aside again for the following 10 or so years during his grad degree, post-doc, and various teaching assignments trying to find a job (no time and no money). He did have a long-term SO during the latter part of his 30s, and they both had fun with it in the bedroom on occasion, but that's as far as it went. He did get into it more seriously in his 40s (I think this is when it stopped being so sexual), but he was single and closeted from the public. It didn't bloom until we met, in his late 40s. At that point he had the time, his job was secure, and he had me. :) He then kinda went overboard for some years (goodness that was difficult :p), but now things are on an even keel … in fact, less than an even keel because there just doesn't seem to be the time lately. I miss it and encourage it as much as I can. So we could say that he didn't really start until his 40s, and of course this is true, but it has been there all along on and off since his teens.

I don't think he'll ever stop, nor is there any reason to. In terms of gender identity, my SO identifies as dualgender - gender fluid if you will, with aspects of both gendered characteristics. Up until his late 40s, he identified as male. I don't know why the switch, other than recognizing this had morphed from being sexual to not so sexual. He never repressed himself, he was never ashamed of the dressing (he rather thought that society was idiotic for having such unimaginative rules) so I can't say that his inner identity emerged. It was always there, he always allowed it. I do not consider my SO a typical male, he definitely is a feminine male but I think he's been like this all his life. He certainly isn't a different person dressed than in male mode. And he does not consider himself a female. So pronouns are problematic. I refer to him as "he" when I think of him in male mode and "she" in female mode.

So there you have it. We are an unconventional couple and we love it. :)

PS. Willpower plays no part in recovering from addictions to drugs or alcohol, and sex, porn, over-eating, gambling, shopping, or other compulsions if the compulsions are severe.

Marcelle
07-28-2014, 04:54 AM
Seriously...We need to stop denying all other forms just because it doesn't fit yours.. Definition..http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/addiction

Hi Lucy,

I am assuming this is aimed at me? Firstly I am not denying anything or trying to make it "fit" my definition. I am providing a counter argument to RD's questions. Besides are you not doing the same thing? Here is my definition and it is right on? Funny thing about definitions, you can find a million of them on the internet. I will point out that your definition speaks to the addiction causing "trauma". I have never felt any trauma from CDing. This thread is not about "who is right or who is wrong" it is about discourse and discussion. You are more than welcome to express your POV "it is an addiction" and I would expect the same politeness of being able to counter that view with polite discussion.

First, I don't think one answer fits all. People crossdress for different reasons and the intensity varies among individuals . . . If IT is an integral part of a personality, then we have to define "IT". Is it a female identity (TS)? If so, then why is it acceptable to have a male body and a male life? Or is it a thing for clothes (for some) or for femininity (for others)? Wanting to be feminine is quite different than having a female gender identity . . . Or is it an identity not as a TS but as a crossdresser in its own right (a male who dresses)? If so, then again can we say there is a female gender identity involved? I mean, do crossdressers really have Gender Dysphoria (a conflict between physical sex and gender identity), if they do not wish to make any changes to their bodies and they are happy in their male lives?

And for the life of me I cannot understand the late bloomers, the ones who say they had no clue before their 40s, 50s, or even 60s, although I do understand having repressed this for years and perhaps having it come out only in fantasy until such point when it could no longer be repressed.

PS. Willpower plays no part in recovering from addictions to drugs or alcohol, and sex, porn, over-eating, gambling, shopping, or other compulsions if the compulsions are severe.

Hi Reine,

I agree that no one reason for CDing fits all people who do so and we each have our own reasons for starting and some can, may and will stop at some point in their lives. I think you are on the right path when you talk about identity. Do I identify as a "woman"? No, I identify as a male (my gender). But the other question is what is gender identity? Is it about your physical sex? How you present to world? How you act, talk, walk? I believe (and I cannot speak for any TS folk) that for them it is about not being the correct biological sex and having to correct that in order to be who they were meant to be. My identity is male, I was born male, am happy male and will die male. But identity is not a singularity and we all take on various identities in our life. There is "boy me", "military me", "husband me", "sports me" and "girl me" however the core of my identity is the same "me" and each of these identities make up who I am. Do I have some form of gender dysphoria? It is possible and my therapist tends to agree that I manifest some aspects of mild GD. Does it mean I need to transition or will transition? In my case no. Just because you have it does not mean you will immediately transition. For me, I have been able to find balance between the identities (including Isha) and bring them into harmony. I do like the concept of "dual gendered" :) and perhaps since all CDers are not alike it is plausible that some have a CD identity which is integral and hence the reason why some even though they may never transition, will suffer emotional distress if they give that part of themselves up.

As for late bloomers, you may not get it and to be honest is still baffles me :) However, don't discount repression for whatever reason. I may have always known at some deep level but chose to ignore it and quell it with life. it doesn't mean it wasn't there . . .it was just dormant waiting for a trigger event. My therapist believes that my own understanding of mortality due to combat probably was the trigger. Specifically, my probability of dying was very high (came close once five years ago) and my psyche had to wrestle with "have I really truly lived my life to the fullest should I depart this mortal coil tomorrow?" This may have been the catalyst to bring this identity to the forefront five years ago as a small flickering flame of emotion only to grow into a firestorm last year. The mind is a funny place :battingeyelashes:

Hugs

Isha

daviolin
07-28-2014, 10:16 AM
Only when I die. Daviolin

Coping2014
07-28-2014, 11:17 AM
But if a sane and healthy approach to life is the goal, then the answer would be no.
How can you, in honesty to yourself and with no ill after affects, simply dismiss that which is intrinsically a part of you?
You cannot.
The repercussions, whether felt consciously or not, will be present in the form of personality issues. You cannot simply repress things without them jumping out to bite you (or someone else) at some unforeseen time and place, sometimes with dire consequences.
That way madness lies.
Are there not enough crazy people in the world, already? LOL

Hello your comment leads me to ask a question that I have been wondering about - Short recap I'm new here - married almost 22 years and H came out to me in May and we are dealing with things. It started out rough and we have had a few issues but we seem to be ok for the moment. ANYWAY my question - early in the first few days he told me or well asked me to tell him my limits? I was VERY skeptical of this as I am one when they tell me not to I WANT TO even if I really didn't want to lol. Originally I refused to have any and after a bit of discussion and stating this is a way to show respect of the others feelings I allowed myself to make one - I only have one for him and that is in the bedroom I don't want it in our bed until we have a better handle on what it all is (if ever but I agreed to keep the door open to the conversation). But he has stated he wanted to me to set up how he could do this (or that is how I took the conversation) My concern with this is your comment "How can you, in honesty to yourself and with no ill after affects, simply dismiss that which is intrinsically a part of you? You cannot." I have seen many of the posts on here that the wife's do set the limits - if this comment is true than how can those husbands "truly be happy?"

I am curious of this because one I don't want my husband to resent me for anything but at the same time trying to balance his needs with my own - well it's a tricky thing. This has taken a LOT of talking and many more yet to come I'm sure of it. This forum is a great source of questions to ask that I didn't even think of it really aids us in putting words to our feelings when we can't - we can say here read this its IS or isn't me and what I'm feeling. My fear is if we can't balance things out - he claims he would never chose the CD over me, the kids, our marriage. But if what your saying is true then what he is saying isn't? I know all CDers are different and it is different things that motivate their needs and desires to it isn't a one size fits all answer but what I'm hearing is that a leopard can NOT change his spots? IF that is the case then there isn't a CDing husband out there that can compromise and truly be happy? I pray that is not the case while I don't want to shut the door on all his CDing ( I am loving this new him that he has become but the clothing things really has me baffled- he hasn't really revealed himself to me as of yet but we have purchased a bunch of stuff for him) I don't know how I will respond when he does, I think we are both scared of this. But I pray we can both find a compromise that we can both be HAPPY with - and your comment makes me wonder if this even exists?

Coping2014

Alice Torn
07-28-2014, 12:28 PM
One thing is for sure! Each one is very complex, yet simple, and very simple, yet complex.

Roxie
07-28-2014, 12:42 PM
Isha hope your feeling better and the answer to your question for Roxie is a simple NO can't and won't

closetedcd60
07-28-2014, 12:47 PM
All I know is what is true for me. I am 60 years old and I have been dressing in lingerie since I was 7. I have tried to quit many times and my wife thought I did for a while, but, I think she has a pretty good Idea that I didn't. I can't pass and my wife hates the idea that I dress, so, there's no need for outerwear. I dress in just nylon panties, pantyhose, slips, bras, nighties and nightgowns when my wife is not here. If she is only going to be gone for the day, I have barely enough time to dress, enjoy the femininity of the lingerie for a short time, undress, clean things up if necessary and put things away Her stuff where and how I found it and my stuff gets hidden. Right now she is away visiting the grand-kids, so I get to dress as soon as I get out of the shower and dried off, stay dressed all day and decide whether or not to wear a baby-doll or a nightgown to bed. Right now, I am in absolute bliss! There is no rushing around to make sure things are put back quickly! The peacefulness within me is amazing. So, no, I will never quit dressing, this is my feminine side and how it's manifesting itself in me. I will never again try to stifle it except for when my wife is around.

daphne g
07-28-2014, 01:07 PM
hi there
i don't think could stop or even want to
although this is a curse ,is a nice curse

i read the pervert cross dresser thread and thought how the might the others see us?
but what would they think if they knew how it was for us
i bet a lot of you feel the same way as i do, that this is not all fun and games
there are also a lot of aches and pains
if i had the the choice before ,i think id rather not be a cross dresser
but i didn't so let the games begin

willow-the-wisp
07-28-2014, 03:17 PM
I have recently returned to c/dressing after 14 years. Not that I didn't think about it
but the circumstances were such that it would have been letting the secret out for sure.
Recently things have changed and I started again, with the same joy and contentment I
had before. Could I have Stopped entirely............I don't think so.

Kate Simmons
07-28-2014, 07:28 PM
You have to have the will power of a Green Lantern to stop.:heehee: Seriously though, these are very powerful urges to attempt to fight against. The only way I have found to truly manage them is to get totally in touch with my feelings and make it a total choice of whether to dress or not. This puts me in control and not the process. Of course, many may not want to control it as is sometimes evident here. :battingeyelashes::)

Lucy_Bella
07-28-2014, 07:35 PM
Hi Lucy, You are more than welcome to express your POV "it is an addiction" and I would expect the same politeness of being able to counter that view with polite discussion.

Hi Isha.

Sorry if my reply came across rude IT wasn't my intent :) .... I was in a hurry and splatter a hasty response and should have been a little more thoughtful... I am still confused rather this thread is about T.G. or the act of x-dressing , you mentioned earlier that those are two in the same ...I respectfully disagree that they are and I will gracefully bow out of this thread to prevent any hijacking from your topic ..:)

Ressie
07-28-2014, 07:36 PM
I did it - I quit! I dressed this morning, but that was the last time… really!

Melissa_59
07-28-2014, 07:43 PM
To me, saying that we can be "cured" implies that there is something defective in us. You cure cancer. You cure the flu. You cure a lot, but those are things that are wrong with us.

I don't feel like there is anything wrong with me. I'm just different.

~Mel

Alice Torn
07-28-2014, 07:49 PM
Mel, The truth is, that many, many people believe it is something we need a cure for, and that real men don't put on women's clothes, and that we are deviants. The pressure to stop, quit, abstain, on some of us is very strong, and intense. Strong pressure can make some want to quit. It is easier said that done. Some can and some cannot.

Gillian Gigs
07-28-2014, 10:34 PM
I agree that it is not possible to lump all CD'ers into one bunch. Is it possible to quit, I see the problem with that being similar to quiting in another arena. Sometimes when a person wants to quit smoking, they also have to quit, for awhile, some of the other things that they are doing while smoking. By example, if a smoker wants to quit, then if there past time is to smoke and have a coffee, it is easier to stop smoking if they give up drinking coffee for a season. Those of us who have a strong connection between CD'ing and sex have a difficult time because of the close connection between the two. I get the urge to have sex, I can resist for only so long, before I feel that I am going to burst. During this time my mind rev's up to the idea of dressing up also. I can live without cigarettes, liquor, drugs, but not food, and the sex urge is always there also. Why is it so hard to keep the weight off, because we still have to eat. Why is it so hard to stop CD'ing, I'm talking for myself, because the urge keeps coming back. I freely admit that CD'ing and sex are so intertwined that it may be damm near impossible to separate them after so many years.
Anything is possible to those who believe they can do it. The mind, will power, is powerful, but so to are the fantasies of the mind, but which is more powerful. After traveling the same path for almost 50 years the wagon ruts get really deep. Something that has brought so much enjoyment is not easy to give up, just ask anyone who has loathed what they have been doing, but still keep going back to it. Most addictions cause great damage, for the most part my indulgences have hurt no one, but I say that knowing that I have an accepting wife who in her words says,"it's only a fetish".

Nadya
07-28-2014, 10:39 PM
Very interesting topic! I'm sure there's no set answer to this question. I know from my personal experience that I can't ignore the need to dress. I've learned from purging that I needed to accept this part of myself because it wasn't to go away. I could use will power to ignore it for a time but eventually, I'll have to do it again. Some people have a stronger urge than others. I needed to accept this part of myself because it wasn't to go away.

MelanieAnne
07-28-2014, 11:05 PM
Short answer, NO, we can't stop. Save yourself a lot of soul searching and anguish, and just accept it, and enjoy it. It's a lifelong thing. Plan accordingly.

MeDeanna
07-29-2014, 06:01 AM
I think if CD'ing was among the accepted social norms, you probably wouldn't even ask the question.

Love ya,

Deanna

CarlaWestin
07-29-2014, 06:39 AM
Great topic. Try this on. As crossdressers, do you think that, starting right now, you could stop un-crossdressing? Say your financial and societal acceptance situations were intact, could you stop male dressing and only dress fully female from now on?
Or would that inner tomboy just have to go full on boy? Hey, transmen, could you go back to skirts and lipstick and never look back?

As for the original question, I've had way too much emotional investment over the years to arrive at this ultimate level of, matter of fact self acceptance.
And what exactly does one do after a life of crossdressing. Sit around and reminisce? I mean, is there a retirement home for former gender explorers?

meghan_eclaire
07-29-2014, 07:12 AM
Hi all,
New member here ^_^

I was browsing the forum and found this very interesting post and had to read it all.
I got into a relationship last year with the most wonderful woman, after a couple of weeks I came out and told her that I crossdressed. Her reaction was awesome and understanding and wanted to even see me dress. Dream come true huh?
Well, for some bizarre reason, I haven't dressed since. I've been dying to, though; I get incredible urges and a weird sensation in my gut/chest that i HAVE to dress.

I honestly don't think I can last much longer in "guy mode", so my answer to Isha's intriguing question; NO, i can't truly stop. Even when I'm not sure why I stopped in the first place, It's a part of me and one that is eager to escape when i cage it up.

Thankyou for reading my ramblings :P

Meg x

Lacey New
07-29-2014, 10:10 AM
I hate to get too deep on this because there are a lot of theories about why people crossdress. Heck, I don't know the answer. I know I crossdress because I like to do it. It excites me and it is my guilty pleasure. But I also know that I have been cross dressing for a long, long time and I have purged many times only to build a secret wardrobe over and over and to sneak my pleasure whenever I can. So, despite many years of being in the closet and going through the hassle of hiding my CDing, no, I don't see myself quitting anytime soon. So, can I quit? I doubt it. Can "we" quit? As a member of "we", I don't think so.

natcrys
07-29-2014, 10:33 AM
Ever since I moved out to go to university, I have crossdressed. There were periods with lots of occassions (usually during the lecture periods) and periods where I didn't dress at all (usually during the exams :p). I never purged, because a) I didn't and still don't think I'm doing anything wrong and b) because I like my pretty things! So, I don't know what it's like to quit the act of crossdressing.

Could I quit the act of crossdressing for a considerable amount of time? Like in the order of months to a couple of years? Probably, if there was a good enough enough reason... stranded on an island, no money, war, stuff like that.

Would I be thoroughly unhappy? Yes.. like I would in any circumstance where I was not able to be who I intrinsically am. Just like I would be unhappy if I couldn't express myself in a musical way, if couldn't use my body in sportive manner or if I was not allowed to be a critical thinker (1984 anyone?). I can't explain wanting to pluck a few strings causing electric signals being distorted by an overdriven amplifier leading to oscillations in the air... or tapping beats with my hands on the table.. but it's something that's part of me.

And no, I don't think being a crossdresser is an addiction, unless above-mentioned things are addictions as well.

Being a crossdresser is who I am,... always.. forever. :)

Melissa_59
07-29-2014, 10:50 AM
Mel, The truth is, that many, many people believe it is something we need a cure for, and that real men don't put on women's clothes, and that we are deviants.

Many people in the US today also believe that the Sun revolves around the Earth (which I thought was disproved many times but leave it to the ignorant).

At one time people believed that there were sea monsters that ate ships, and they thought the Moon was made of green cheese. There is a huge portion of the population that thinks that the Great Wall of China is visible from space (even though the reality of it is that without a HUGE camera you can't see it even from LEO). There are folks that believe that old hooey that we were taught that different parts of your tongue respond to different tastes (sugar on the front, salt on the sides, etc - and it's hooey!).

There is also a huge following of "the Earth was flat until Columbus proved it was round" - again, utter balderdash. The ancient Greeks knew it was round, and one of them (can't remember his name off the top of my head) actually computed the Earth's circumference by using a shadow stick, two measurements in Egypt and mathematics and came to within a couple hundred miles of the real distance!

People used to think the Earth was the center of the universe - almost everyone on this planet was absolutely convinced that was right, and when someone spoke up about how wrong they all were he was excommunicated from his church.

Should we just kowtow to "common knowledge" then? After all, if so many people are convinced of it...

Sorry, but I won't give in to them. They're wrong - they have no idea what I feel or how I feel, they're not in my mind or body. There is nothing broken in me that needs to be cured. The mass of people are wrong all the time. And they're wrong about this too.

I'm just different.

~Mel

paulaprimo
07-29-2014, 12:33 PM
i'll quit when they pry my purse from my cold dead hands... :)

ArleneRaquel
07-29-2014, 12:40 PM
I have stopped and started up again inthe past. Now that it is 10 years that I have attired as a lady 24/7 I see no return to stop & starting. I love living this way.

Tina_gm
07-29-2014, 12:58 PM
If it is purely a matter of dressing, than yes, anyone can quit. I mean, its just clothing. Maybe we won't feel how we want to feel, or look how we want to look, but yes certainly we can quit. And maybe the circumstances in our lives at a given point do not make it good for us to dress. And we don't during those times, so further proof that we can quit. Will the desires quit? the feelings of femininity or our wish to express it quit, no. Those are a part of us.

Ressie
07-29-2014, 01:42 PM
i'll quit when they pry my purse from my cold dead hands... :)

This girl has me ROFL! Best laugh all day hun!

ReluctantDebutant
07-29-2014, 04:30 PM
Isha.

To clarify I am not saying that because something is fun and people do it a lot it must be an addiction. But addictions usually start with an enjoyable thing but that enjoyable thing doesn't necessarily lead to an addiction. Doing that enjoyable thing a lot doesn't necessarily mean an addiction. the sign of and addict is when they can't reasonably stop. The person who has a drink most nights but ceases at a reasonable hour to sleep for work the next day isn't an addict. The person who thinks their bosses are fascists because they don't allow drinking on the job probably is. I am also not saying that all addictions are harmful. TV and smartphone use have been shown to be addictive the only harm there is too the art of face to face conversation.

I have had sometime to think of why the idea that, a cross-dressers can't quit and it is just who they are, hits a nerve with me; its so fatalistic. It has no faith in human free will. This would be no sweat off the back of any cross-dresser who has found a contented life cross-dressing. But it is grim hopeless news to those cross-dressers who cannot find contented lives in cross-dressing.

I think all cross-dressers start out the same (folks with GIDs not included) we have a motivation to cross-dress it is something in our minds and it is something we didn't choose. Each individual cross-dresser has a choice in interpreting the meaning of this source. Is it who they really are or is it just an impulse to do act. Neither answer has yet been proven to be the correct one. There are cross-dressers form both camps that have gone on to find contented lives. It would be simple to start to see cross-dressing as something that is meant to be. There are those from both camps whose cross-dressing lead them form the life they wanted and they are not happy with it at all. What is more helpful to say to them; It is who you are and you can never change; or this isn't who you really are you can fight it. Its just a state of mind, an addiction, an impulse, It is just clothes?

Now to be clear I don't hate cross-dressing. I don't think it is evil. I don't think all cross-dressers are suffering a mental illness. I don't think they are all lonely and depressed. I don't want to see all cross-dressers "Cured".
I am quite happy that there are so many cross-dressers that have found peace, joy, and contentment with cross-dressing. I find it a mitzvah. I say mazel tov.

I just know from my own experience that even after one excepts that cross-dressing is a thing in their life finding a place for it in life isn't easy.

closetedcd60
07-29-2014, 08:07 PM
These are not just feelings. This is our feminine side manifesting itself within us. Every man has a feminine side just as every woman has a masculine side. With some men it manifests itself through sewing or fashion, with others it's cooking, still others, it housekeeping, it's just that with us, it's through wearing clothing. And this differs from man to man as well. With some it's dresses and skirts (pants aren't feminine enough), while with others, like me, it's with lingerie, while yet with others it's the whole package: lingerie, dresses, wig and shoes. I won't pass, so I wouldn't even try to (too fat, plus my beard is too dark even right after shaving). My wife hates the idea that I dress so I can't tell her and I can't let her catch me dressed! I live in western Burlington county, NJ. If anyone in the area would care to talk, please post a reply if you think you would be interest in talking to me. So we can make arrangements. Thank You.

Sophie Yang
07-29-2014, 10:04 PM
Can we truly just quit if we exercise willpower?

It takes a lot more than will power to do most things. Quitting anything depends on circumstances and consequences. Survival is a basic instinct that cannot be easily willed away. Yet we all have probably heard of smokers who cannot quit even on their death bed. Stranded on the island you correctly figured out that you would be too busy figuring out how to survive. Some would not figure that out until it is too late. Others pointed out in extreme conditions, prison, war zone, gun to ones head, one can suppress the desire to dress to survive.

Thought Experiment
Now go to the other extreme. If you had unlimited access to anything your heart desired, for an unlimited period of time, with complete positive acceptance from everyone, without any negative consequences what so ever, could you will such an opportunity away? I don't think anyone here could. In this scenario, the temptation is always available to you. It is like the saying “power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.” It is just a matter of time before one succumbs.

Add some consequences to the above scenario with a time limit. Some one posted a thread something along the lines “would you dress for a year for a million dollars?” In my case, in a heart beat. Not much will power required to do this. Add the following twist, “would you not dress for a year for a million dollars?” Yes, but this would take some will power. Another twist, how would you answer this if everyone was already a millionaire and you had no money issues but the consequences were severe?

A couple final twists on will power. What if you only had a year to live and you had no way to support your family or if your family had nothing to worry about after your death?

Back to the real world.
The number of threads on purging and then splurging seems to anecdotal evidence that most do not have the wlll-power necessary to quit.

GretchenJ
07-29-2014, 11:59 PM
Hey Isha,

Hope you are feeling better. For me , the answer is no - I can not stop, the best I can do is curtail or postpone it for an extended period of time. Or possibly downgrade - by that I mean for the past 40 years of my life, by dressing had only been within the 4 walls of my home, when the house was to myself. This has just involved wearing clothes

For the past year of so, the world as opened up, and I have ventured outside. This has now involved makeup, forms, padding and a wig to make myself more presentable as female, to experience life in feminine role. Now that I have done so, I don't just dress at home, it now just feels partial to me. So by "downgrade" , I would hope to revert back to dressing at home fills the void. This has gotten me a bit worried because there is a definite expiration date as to how long I can do this based upon age and alone time availability - I am for now am taking it day by day.

i guess, and a guess is the best I can do, as I can talk to only one branch do the Cd/TS/TG tree, is the more you associate as TS/TG the more infeasible it is to quit then just being a CD. No I take this back, it is just as hard regardless, but for different reasons. I consider myself dual-gendered, I don't need clothes and makeup to be in touch with my feminine side, but it completes me. It's like this, I can see the moon with my naked eye, but with a really good telescope with great lenses, I can make out the craters. For those who just associate themselves as CDer, without the clothes there is no connection at all.

forgive me as always for the rambling. ( Isha, why do you cause me to ramble on and on :)

Gretch

SnowPrincess
07-30-2014, 01:27 AM
Well stated. My situation exactly and it is always comforting to find that you are not alone in your situation.

trisha kobichenko
07-30-2014, 02:00 AM
I agree with Alice that one can quit the act of dressing, but IMHO that has nothing to do with the urge to act. My thoughts, totally from within (no scientific or statistical basis), is that we are all born somewhere on a gender scale from female to male. Finding that place and being able to recognize it, accept it, and ultimately express it, seems to be what we are all about here. I have dressed and purged for over 5 decades and guess what...I have a closet full of clothes right now. Made up my mind a few years ago to be who I am, and get off that roller coaster. Am I at total peace with who I am, uhhhh, not yet. Do I totally understand the drive to do what I love to do...nope. Working on it, though.
Hugs,
Trish

sometimes_miss
07-30-2014, 04:36 PM
Can we truly just quit if we exercise willpower?
Sure. The question is always, for how long? I've managed to do it for years, twice. However, it does involve how the rest of my life is going; the ability to hold back the desire to crossdress does take a certain amount of brain power (cpu cycles, for the geeks among us) being used on a constant basis. When other things in my life need to use that amount, then the desire to crossdress has nothing to suppress it and it becomes an overwhelming need which I can't ignore. Right now, the two things which are ever present in my life are the lack of love and affection, and holding back the sadness is all I can do, so the crossdressing must be allowed to 'vent', or I'll be breaking down in tears all over the place. I know this because I've noticed that I tend to tear up a lot at things that would never have triggered it during better times in my life. And for the amatuer and/or professional psychologists among us, no, meds don't help. As long as you can think, if there's a good reason to be depressed, you're going to be depressed. Modern meds might be able to take the edge off of it, but being happy isn't the goal of modern mental health. They just want us to be functional contributing members of society. Our puritanical heritage defines that we are not allowed to be happy unless we work very hard for it, as evidenced by the criminalization of euphoric drugs. Their belief is that the general populace must not have a cheap and easy way to happiness, especially if it doesn't financially benefit someone else.

Jill_cd
07-30-2014, 05:46 PM
Isha,

I have purged and then started again too often to remember. The last time was this past November. I was working the night shift and on one of my nights off got dressed, went out and did some window shopping at 1:00 A.M. I saw my reflection and thought, "What the heck am I doing?" I purged not too long after that. I went a few months suppressing the feelings, trying not to think about the clothes, heels and wig I donated and not coming to this site. But, the urges have returned. I finally joined this forum and started buying shoes and clothes again. I have read what others have said here and I agree. It will never leave. So it's best that I come to terms with it, embrace it and move on. So, here I sit, wearing a pencil skirt, blouse, stockings and heels...and loving it. Is it an addiction? Perhaps. I'll spend money on clothes and shoes that I'll wear a few times a week. But I'm not hurting anyone, least of all myself. It's not criminal nor immoral.

Jill

Dee D
07-30-2014, 10:04 PM
A few random thoughts....
--I am a Trans-something. Not 100% boy,not 100% girl,I'm just me. What I am,what I like,what I feel is my ESSENCE,and that does not change. I liked the left-handed example someone mentioned--it's just how I was made,and accepting one's own uniqueness is a huge step forward.

--It is NOT an addiction. While there are negative consequences for substance/gambling/etc addictions,any negative consequences we may suffer are more due to society's prejudices. The more important question for me is: "When will society as a whole stop THEIR addiction to prejudices?"

--After being on a med that boosts Dopamine levels,I can tell you this:the "pink fog" rush is similar but decidedly different. So is the crash after levels drop off. There is something about dressing up or whatever that hits at the neurotransmitter level,but it's obviously more complicated than just Dopa and Serotonin.

--As for "late-bloomers",I don't think it is necessarily repression. There is no doubt some part played by hormones in all this,and if anything it could be testosterone that was the "repressor",not their psyche.

--There may be people out their who have been "cured" or "quit their addiction". If so,they're not likely to be on this site!

Peace,
D.

KarenXDR
08-08-2014, 11:59 AM
My favorite xdrg: YOU CAN'T PURGE THE URGE!!
Lipstick kisses

Karen

SO

Beverley Sims
08-08-2014, 12:51 PM
Isha,
circumstances such as break down in relationships can have an adverse effect on dressing.
Otherwise it would take a lot of will power and a heck of a lot of won't power. :)

I do feel however that breakdown in relationships has the most sobering effect.

Desirae
08-08-2014, 10:26 PM
I DO believe that it is possible to stop. I DON'T believe it's possible for everyone to stop. I am 100% certain that there is a CD out there, somewhere, who has managed to stop completely. I don't know the reason one CD would be able to stop and not another. Maybe its because of a lesser degree of GD. Or, more determination and fortitude. I don't believe that CDing would be any different, in regards to quitting, than a habit or addiction that someone wants to quit. Some people will be successful and some won't. And I'm not calling CDing a habit or an addiction. I'd be remiss, I think we all would be remiss, if we didn't acknowledge the possibility, or better, yet, the probability, of someone, somewhere, actually having been successful in stopping their CDing.

jessicapaige
08-08-2014, 11:12 PM
Nope!!!!

satinshawn
08-09-2014, 12:23 AM
Hello Jessica. I'm new here. I can tell you that if your a true crossdesser, and you've always had the urge to dress. Then no, the urge will never go away and that it's not healthy to try. I encourage you to embrace the feminine part of you, and have fun with it. Besides, you're smokin hot

Melissa18
08-09-2014, 09:12 AM
Hi Isha,
Speaking on a personal note. I don't think a CDer can quit.
I've been dressing since I was 4, always loved the feel and look of the clothes. It was only sexual around early adolescence then the sexual arousal element stopped mid to late teens.
When I was mid 20's to early 30's I did make a concerted effort to stop the dressing and the times i dressed went down to once a year, and after the birth of my daugther i even proclaimed to myself that im cured! But the thoughts to dress were still there.
Though I only dress on a semi regular basis, when I can get time (today was one day I could, and what a day). The periods that I don't dress could be up to a month or so, and when I'm not dressed all I think about is, what I'd like to wear the next time.

As I've aged(52) the urge to dress is stronger (and getting stronger) than any time during my life. I've tried many times to stop completely (and have done the purge!), but I never can. For me when I put on a dress it is a feeling of who I am, I'm me!

From my perspective, no you can't stop, this is how you were born, except it and live with it the best you can. For it has taken me a long time to except it and I now have and I'm enjoying who I am .
Adelaide

BeccaTVinNH
08-09-2014, 01:04 PM
Hi
I really believe it is who we are. We can not quit it. Its who we are. I have been doing it off and on since I was 12. I give it up and swear I am never going back. Sure enough. I go back. I stopped about 9 years ago. I met someone and got married and now recently it has come back. Every time it does come back, it seems it comes back stronger and harder. Its killing me not to do it but in my current life, its not possible.
Just last night, after many many drinks and in the heat of some intense passion, I told my wife I wanted her to make me her girl. Dress me up and own me. She was totally into it. Sadly, she doesn't remember any of it today. Thanks a lot, Captain Morgan. Prick.
I really don't know what I am going to do. Its killing me. It is all I think about doing. I want to be Rebecca. I need to be. Its who I am.
So no. We can never truly quit.

wanda66
08-10-2014, 05:44 AM
I thought about leaving that part of me behine, but a frend reminder me that wanda would alway be there. She is right , CD is part of me and who iam.

Andrea Payer
08-10-2014, 05:57 AM
that's an easy question. the answer is NO

Kris Avery
08-21-2014, 08:34 PM
Pretty sure I can't stop. If I were forced to...I'm sure I would be absolutely miserable.

If I hurt no one, and it gives me a sense of bring complete and calms me -- why the heck not?

janetcgtv
08-21-2014, 11:17 PM
If you are able to stop your way of thinking . Never wish you will put anything feminine on. Either when you are by yourself or with others.

Then and only then could you say you have stopped being TG.

JenniferLynn0370
08-21-2014, 11:23 PM
Nope, and I hope that never changes!! I absolutely LOVE my femininity and have come to accept that I AM a woman so I will never stop. It IS who I am.

Contentedly,
Jen

Anna H
08-22-2014, 12:36 AM
The times I've had to stop...work, relationships, etc, weren't
ever because i wanted to...I've always *Loved* it. Well, I
*Loved* being able to be myself...lol!

So, i guess i couldn't really say if *I* could stop, because I
never did/wouldn't ever want to.

Easy for me to say that, though...it's always been normal for me.

:)

trisha kobichenko
08-22-2014, 02:59 AM
I find that I can decide to dress or not each day. But the desire to dress doesn't go away. It's been that way for over half a century...probably not going to change.
Hugs,
Trish

Nichola
08-22-2014, 03:21 AM
For each & every person, this can be so different so I can only speak for myself.
For me, I tried to quit, shut it out, be a man etc, but it had completely the opposite effect. I thought about it every single day. It made me feel depressed & anxious, then when it finally came back it was stronger than ever. It proved to be the catalyst for me in finally getting out & leaves me wondering how far I want to take things in the longer term.
I tried to suppress being transgender, it didn't work.

Laura J
08-22-2014, 05:34 AM
Dunno. Never tried. Sometimes life gets in the way and makes it not so important for a time, although I always have my eye on the next time I can dress.

DAVIDA
08-22-2014, 05:40 AM
Even if you stopped putting anything on related to female things, it would not change the fact that you are still a cross dresser.

shelly1
08-22-2014, 09:27 AM
I have tried to stop several times but each time I did I would constantly think about dressing. so I would eventually start again.

Sarah Doepner
08-22-2014, 09:42 AM
Actually this is a variation of the question "Why do we crossdress?" If it's something we willed into existence, a choice of lifestyle or were encouraged to do by someone else, the answer should be yes. But if it's something that is part of our basic makeup, hard-wired into our personalities, then the answer is most likely going to be no.

My experience started when I was quite young, so no sexual start to my crossdressing. Did it enter into it once I passed puberty, hell yes. Did I go years in between opportunities to dress when I was first on my own and then when I was starting my family? Yes on that as well. Did I get to be a jerk until I found a way to start dressing again? Yes on that as well. And when I could finally share this with others was I able to accept and develop my understanding of what I was doing? Yes. Have all the signs in my life pointed toward the second explaination of being born somewhere other than the polar opposite of female on the gender scale? Yes, I believe they have, so can I quit? Not by choice.

muslegirl
08-22-2014, 07:44 PM
new here first post...

I have tried to over the years to quit as I questioned my own masculinity and sanity..I am a much calmer, a nicer person, and just plain happier with a drawer full of girly attire...I have been dressing since i was a child.
I have only gone out twice in public dressed. Holloween parties in "drag".
I wish I could blend in and go out in a normal setting and pass but...never tried cause Im just too damn big. Weight lifter, almost 6 2 very muscular... to wear beautiful heels out would make me a gaintess..I think i was driven at the gym by my obession to prove my man hood dispite my deep desire to crossdress..
I enjoy my clothes at home. I have a wonderful wife of 28 years that understands and even surprizes me with panties and night gowns etc..

Anyway dont want to quit dont know that i could long term

LICutie
09-02-2014, 10:28 AM
wow, at first glance just reading your post definitely makes me feel that you hit "the nail on the head" for sure. and i think that it's comforting to know we are not alone in that many others before, now, and to come will face similar scenarios in life.

when time permits am going to try and read your post again and also read the replies and get in to deeper thought!

thanks!

:love:
Lil

janetcgtv
09-04-2014, 11:36 PM
The only way we could stop.
We would have to have NO impulses to dress when we are alone or with someone else.
As for me:
I'd rather be on Pluto with no clothes,food, or air.
Even in bad periods in my life,I would fantasize about dressing. I've been doing it most of my life. I'm 72 now.
As for me, I'd rather had been born a woman. No aches or pains except for the problems of life.

Isabella Ross
09-04-2014, 11:51 PM
Let me be brief: no.

Yoshisaur
09-04-2014, 11:58 PM
I've tried stopping in the past and would be able to stay away from dressing for a decent amount of time, but the thought of being feminine and putting on a sexy dress with some risque undies always brings me back to it. especially if you see a super cute piece that's on sale.

Kaze_
09-05-2014, 12:18 AM
I've tried to stop and repress it my whole life.

I didn't work!

I just had to give up and accept I'm just a little girly.

ClosetED
09-05-2014, 12:59 AM
This is an old question, but this site has a biased subset of TG people - the people who did quit would not be here.
You need data taken from a source that included all TG people over time - and I don't think anyone has it.
This author has a 5 set of books covering many aspects. Question 97 is about chance of stopping, but I haven't seen the answer - has anyone here?

http://www.lulu.com/shop/g-g-bolich/crossdressing-in-context-vol-5/hardcover/product-20623850.html
or
http://www.ggbolich.com/gender-studies.html

So best guess - "very few" - "rare" - "temporarily"

Ellen

Here is a person who claims to have stopped for 11 years
http://cleaningyouraddiction.blogspot.com/2012/09/crossdressing-stop-before-it-ruins-your.html

Of course, he is thinking about it enough to post, even 11 years later

bimini1
09-05-2014, 04:28 AM
Could be true for some and not others. The only way to know for sure if it is true for YOU? Actually try to stop and see what happens. That is really the only way to know.

Stephskk
09-05-2014, 11:13 AM
I have always known I wanted to cross dress, from the earliest of days. I didn't dare do anything about it but as I grew it was harder to resist, all the way thru a 19 year marriage to a person who wouldn't understand I resisted. I didn't cross dress but I knew damn well I was a cross dresser. When I finally met my SO things changed, I knew I could trust her with anything so I told her one day. It was the single most life changing day for me. Kids are away at school so there is finally time for me to try what I have always dreamed about, its been almost 4 years of CDing in practice and there is no way I could stop. If something happened where I wasn't with my SO I would have to set my life up now to be able to continue it. At least from time to time. The draw is far too powerful for me.

Lucy Lou
09-05-2014, 11:31 AM
I have tried to stop many times over the years but always come back to it. I realised, with the help from this site, that it is a part of me that will never go away.

I have purged over the years and deeply regret it. So many loverly things that I have lost. Never again. I will never stop because I can't and don't want to.

Lucy Lou xx

Tiffany Jane
09-05-2014, 11:36 AM
Once you start do you ever really quit? I will go months without thinking about it and see a woman pull off an amazing look or style and my mind snaps right back to my stash. I have told my wife I find myself checking out other woman for their clothes or especially shoes. Won't be checking into any rehab soon. Is a part of me I wouldn't want to let go of for many reasons.

CherylFlint
09-05-2014, 01:48 PM
I started wearing my mother's stuff when I was 4, so I guess that about sums it up.
I've tried repression and purging but I've learned that I can't fight it so why not enjoy life and have fun?
Which is what I do. When I first started dressing as an adult I'd shop via catalogue but I've found a better and a whole lot cheaper way: thrift stores.
I buy my lingerie and wigs on-line or in person, but for everything else it's Goodwill and consignment shops.
But I've not dressed in awhile, although I do look into my closet once a day.
I think being a CD is just what makes-up a part of me, dressed or not. But dressing is awfully relaxing, I must admit.
Thanks for the post. Enjoyed reading it.

BaliGirl
09-06-2014, 02:11 AM
Even if you stopped putting anything on related to female things, it would not change the fact that you are still a cross dresser.

I totally agree. I stopped putting on anything feminine for more than 20 years. But I went back to wearing feminine things.

Jennifer Devine
09-06-2014, 03:36 AM
Until last week i had been repressing the woman in me for about 3 years!
The want and the desire to dress as a woman never goes away.
When i found my old wig last week and became Jennifer again it was like a massive weight lifted off my shoulders and i felt so uncontrollably happy and overjoyed!
If you try to stop for good, it will do you no good!

renee elizabeth
09-06-2014, 03:46 AM
No. I don't believe you can really truly stop. The urges will always be there. I have been battling my desire to cross dress for years and was a truly miserable person. I'm not so miserable anymore since I finally accepted myself.

Jackie F
09-06-2014, 05:47 AM
I am trying to dress less for the wife.
It is always on my mind
I try to find other joys however nothing seems to match that wonderful feeling of lady's clothing.