PDA

View Full Version : TSA changes policy?

Richelle
07-28-2014, 05:54 PM
I had another trip to the Boston area last week. I flew as Richelle both ways. On the way out I wore a long maxi-dress and the way home, a new dress I picked up on the trip at Kohl's. I have gone through security many times as Richelle. What was interesting was this is the first time the TSA agent that checked my passport used by first name (and it is not Richelle) when clearing me and wishing me a good flight. In the past they always just said thank you and never used a name.

Just wondering if the TSA is attempting to become more friendly by calling people by their first name.

Richelle

Nikki A.
07-28-2014, 07:04 PM
Bureaucrats friendly? Nah, never happen.

kimdl93
07-28-2014, 07:22 PM
I would venture to guess that they are, indeed, trying to be friendly and courteous as possible. I recently flew, not en femme, alas, and I thought that the TSA staff were both friendly and courteous.

BLUE ORCHID
07-28-2014, 08:55 PM
Hi Richelle, Maybe they were just having a good day.

mechamoose
07-28-2014, 09:08 PM
The TSA knows how unpopular they are. The politeness is damage control.

For what it is worth, I welcome the politeness.. but they still want me to step into a scanner and see my junk.

- MM

Rogina B
07-28-2014, 09:20 PM
They just doubled the TSA charge...So they are laughing all the way!

Leslie Langford
07-28-2014, 09:31 PM
Maybe the TSA is finally taking a page out of the retail industry playbook and are starting to apply the priciples of "Customer Service 101"

Long overdue IMHO, but I won't become a true believer in their sincerity until they offer to "start a room" for me as most women's clothing store SA's tend to do. ;)

DonnaT
07-29-2014, 02:46 PM
Did they call others by their first name?

They don't personally know you, so why would they call you Bob? It should be either Sir or Mam, or Mr./Ms. Stevens. Using a first name is bad manners.

Why would they call you Bob, if dressed as a lady? Not very friendly to out someone.

CynthiaD
07-29-2014, 03:19 PM
In my experience, TSA has become much friendlier in recent years. Back in 2002, an old-lady TSA agent walked up to me and said, in the nastiest voice possible, "Hold it sir, you've got scissors in your briefcase!" Since I didn't even own a pair of scissors I replied, "Scissors? I don't think so."
"I know so." She replied in an even nastier voice, and began dumping stuff out of my briefcase. Then another agent tapped her on the shoulder and said, "No, no, not that one, this one!" And pointed to a different bag. She walked off without saying a word. These sorts of encounters used to be common.

These days, however, everyone seems friendly and polite. I think they've been sending their agents to charm school.

Allison Chaynes
07-29-2014, 03:44 PM
Ah yes the TSA. Their motto should be "If you don't let us touch your junk, you hate America!"

Dianne S
07-29-2014, 03:46 PM
I find the TSA people more friendly lately. I think they've definitely been given instructions to behave like humans.

Oh, and this is slightly off-topic, but you have to listen to this: http://www.cbc.ca/thisisthat/blog/2013/10/11/canadian-border-guard-bullies-cbc-radio-host/

It's really funny! :) [It's a Canadian satirical radio show, and in the segment above the interview speaks to a Canadian Border Services Agent about efforts to improve etiquette at border crossings.]

Richelle
07-29-2014, 06:10 PM
Did they call others by their first name?

They don't personally know you, so why would they call you Bob? It should be either Sir or Mam, or Mr./Ms. Stevens. Using a first name is bad manners.

Why would they call you Bob, if dressed as a lady? Not very friendly to out someone.

Good question. Do not know. They keep the next person in line far enough back so that you can not hear what they say. And I agree, they should have said Ms Whatever.

Lillyasia
07-29-2014, 06:57 PM
It's probably part of the interview training. Since you were dressed and not exactly looking like your photo ID, they call you by name to see how you react. BTW: isn't it racist to be asking for photo ID? That's what the liberals claim when it comes to voter ID.

Krisi
07-30-2014, 07:32 AM
I don't think any kid grew up dreaming of becoming a TSA inspector, it's a job they take because they can't get a better one. Every passenger they deal with is upset that they have to wait in line and be scanned or worse rather than just getting on the plane and going to where they are going. Imagine yourself doing this job hour after hour, day after day, year after year.

Considering this, they are doing well if they are professional and polite.

I remember the time when you just bought a ticket and got on the airplane. I flew with a group many years ago and we had won tickets to where we were going. One of the group was afraid to fly so he drove his car. The girlfriend of another group mamber used the ticket. No problem. She was asked why her ticket said "David" and she replied it was her stage name and walked onto the plane.

StephanieCLT
07-30-2014, 08:38 AM
The TSA is a tough one to figure out. There are plenty that are nasty and probably more that are very pleasant. I do think they have an unfortunate job. I know one time when I was randomly screened and then somehow "failed" test #2, they had to do the whole body search thing in a back room. As bad as it was for me, I'm sure it was worse for the guy who had to do those all day every day. Yuck.

JennyT3
07-30-2014, 02:06 PM
Two way street. Are as polite as you think you are? Think about it everytime yo go into a store. Are you polite or re you a bitch?

Eryn
07-30-2014, 02:14 PM
...As bad as it was for me, I'm sure it was worse for the guy who had to do those all day every day. Yuck.

For those of a certain mindset it would be a dream job.

sometimes_miss
07-30-2014, 04:22 PM
Might simply be studying to become a better detective. I remember reading somewhere that using someone's name helps you remember all sorts of things about them. I've used that daily in practice, and it has made a difference. A real psychologist could tell you why the theory works, I just do it.

Tina G
07-30-2014, 04:46 PM
I think they are using it to be more curteous to people. Might be required now.

Tina

Beverley Sims
08-09-2014, 02:31 PM
Take a few more trips and see if the procedure persists.

abby054
08-09-2014, 11:36 PM
The TSA knows how unpopular they are. The politeness is damage control.

For what it is worth, I welcome the politeness.. but they still want me to step into a scanner and see my junk.

- MM

I agree...it is damage control. I have had only one truly nasty TSA agent so far. At my home airport. His supervisor and the cop who was on the security detail at the time got rid of him pronto.

I always opt out of the junk scanner. So I get felt up. It makes for an interesting conversation when my old Army injuries preclude raising my arms the way they like. I always insist on inspection in public on the security line...I want witnesses! And so do the good TSA agents.

MelanieAnne
08-10-2014, 11:21 PM
I was in the air force, when I was younger. That said, I will not fly! If I ever really need to fly somewhere, I will drive to Canada and fly from there. If everybody, absolutely everybody refused to fly for just a week, and the airports were empty, this nonsense would end. The airlines would be screaming bloody murder to their congressvermin and senators, and it would end. But the american people refuse to change their routines, or deny themselves anything to preserve their freedom.

docrobbysherry
08-11-2014, 01:12 AM
Anyone can make a mistake, Richelle. Even a TSA agent. Tho, I'm certain that's quite rare. Ha ha ha!

Eryn
08-11-2014, 01:30 AM
...But the american people refuse to change their routines, or deny themselves anything to preserve their freedom.

Actually, a lot of Americans have chosen to take earthbound vacations rather than subject themselves to government humiliation. Please adjust the width of your brush.

donnalee
08-11-2014, 02:18 AM
Rudeness seems to come as standard equipment with low paid employees who are given any kind of power at all. How do you know if the "politeness" you experienced was nothing more than an attempt to out you?
Calling someone by their first name is rude unless someone has requested that you do so. It is normally the relationship of an adult addressing a child, with you as the child and I, for one, do not consider this an attempt at friendliness or courtesy.

Lexi Moralas
08-11-2014, 10:07 AM
My guess would be it was just to let you know you didn't fool him , like the occasional SA that likes to ever so politely say have a nice day "SIR"

Sabrina133
08-12-2014, 06:59 AM
I was in the air force, when I was younger. That said, I will not fly! If I ever really need to fly somewhere, I will drive to Canada and fly from there. If everybody, absolutely everybody refused to fly for just a week, and the airports were empty, this nonsense would end. The airlines would be screaming bloody murder to their congressvermin and senators, and it would end. But the american people refuse to change their routines, or deny themselves anything to preserve their freedom.

While I would love to do just that, many of us are a prisoner of "take a flight in the morning, do business and fly back at nigh or the next day." I'd love to take the train to certain locations but cant due to time. We are, unfortunately prisoners of our society - in this case fly or drive - and if you drive, it will take a long time.