PDA

View Full Version : What's in a name?

Cheyenne Skye
07-28-2014, 06:08 PM
So it's been about three months since I came out at work. For the most part my coworkers are pretty consistent with using my new name. There is an occasional slip up, but they are quick to correct themselves. Thing is, I work with two guys with whom I use to share a name. So every time I hear that name being called out, I still find myself wanting to look up to see if they are talking to me. It's kind of annoying. And I was just watching TV when one of the character shouted out my old name. It made me wince. What is your reaction when you hear your old name (even when it's not in reference to you)?

Sue Too
07-28-2014, 06:24 PM
I have not made the big jump yet but when I do I will view it as a part of my past. No big deal

Susan in Phoenix

Jorja
07-28-2014, 06:38 PM
Ahh, ya doesn’t has to call me Johnson! You can call me Ray, or you can call me Jay, or you can call me Johnny or you can call me Sonny, or you can call me RayJay, or you can call me RJ… but ya doesn’t hafta call me Johnson. :)

As time passes and you become more accustom to this type of thing you won't think a thing about it. Right now, you are hypersensitive to it. Unless they call you by your proper name learn to resist looking up at them. All it takes is a little training.

Kimberly Kael
07-28-2014, 08:58 PM
The instinct is fading, but I know exactly what you mean. I think I'm just starting to turn the corner to think of my prior name as belonging to other people (some of whom are women, which helps.) My sister even contemplated naming her newborn boy with my original name, but was worried I'd think that was odd. She eventually settled on something else, but I thought it was a sweet idea and an interesting way of firmly establishing that I had no claims to the name.

kimdl93
07-28-2014, 09:34 PM
The really nice thing for me is my given name is Kimberly. I used to wince when I heard someone use my given name, but now I just feel grateful that I don't have to change a thing...well, maybe a thing or two.

Rianna Humble
07-28-2014, 11:06 PM
When I first changed my name, I was like you - wanting to look up every time I thought I heard my old name. I worked a bit on ignoring the name (after all that's not who I am and now it's just like hearing any other name that doesn't belong to me.

Aly Cat
07-29-2014, 02:48 PM
I haven't officially changed my name yet, but I do go by my new name a lot with friends. When I hear my male name, it gives me a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach because I don't see myself as that person. I am three months into HRT and am noticing pretty decent changes. Because of this, I am associating my self less and less with the male gender identity. It is getting to the point where I am uncomfortable giving my name to customers and wearing a male named name tag. I am seeing myself like a female and so the old name just feels so wrong. Not to mention the looks I get when people see Adam on my name tag when the name tag is clearly sitting on top of my ever enlarging breast. This in between stage is for the birds. I can't wait for the official transition!!

danielleb
07-31-2014, 05:51 PM
I spent a lot of time contemplating what my appropriate name was when I was young. By the time I was 13 I knew what it was supposed to be. So when I finally changed it really the only use of my old name was derogatory and instinctively I don't respond to that kind of treatment. It did take several months to really separate from it, but now (years on) it's not even a thought.