PDA

View Full Version : Progress Report

samantha rogers
07-30-2014, 11:37 AM
It has been a heck of a week, as a few of you may know from private messages. A big storm knocked out our power Sunday night and we only got it back late last night. In the meantime, a tragedy struck our family. My wife's stepfather has been having serious medical problems recently and took a turn for the worse this week. He passed away at his home last night surrounded by a family that adored him beyond measure. He was one of the kindest, most down to Earth and warm hearted men I have ever met and I loved him as though he were both my friend as well as my own parent, because that was exactly how he always treated me. I shall miss him.
But this is actually about my wife and I.
Today is our wedding anniversary. 24 years.
If you do not remember (lol...and why would you...haha) I came out to her as TG last January, and let her know it was something I had struggled with my entire life and that I had hidden my dressing from her and everyone else for years. I also revealed I was beginning with a gender therapist, and had begun HRT. Yes, all of this should have been shared and discussed years before. Mea culpa. I am human, and still working through many years of misplaced and unhealthy layers of accumulated coping mechanisms. But I am trying. I told her as soon as I could. This is, none of it, easy.
It was very hard for her to hear. She was shocked, hurt, angry...you name it. And understandably so. She felt betrayed, repulsed, and was angry at herself for not having seen any signs. I was sure she would leave me and I was terrified.
My wife is by nature liberal and with a background in theatre she has many gay friends and has no issues at all with tolerance and understanding. But it is different when it is your own husband. And then there was the issue of the deceit.
Our marriage has had other issues as well not necessary to address here. Neither of us has been truly happy for awhile now.
And yet there is a strong love, a good friendship, a lifetime of shared experience, and the responsibilities of two children and the financial security of shared incomes.
It was touch and go for a long time and a real roller coaster emotionally for us both.
Throughout it all, I did everything I could to be totally honest, to behave as the person she had always loved, to remain constant in my desire to make things work (thank God and all of you for the advice on these boards and from the many caring friends who have reached out to help). I also made clear that my gender identity was not something I could fight, that I had tried too long and unsuccessfully to do so already, and that I had no idea where the changes would take me. I still do not know that.
I do not dress at home. She does not want to see me yet, and our kids do not yet know (though that day is coming).
Instead, I plan outings, carefully spacing them at roughly three week intervals which is about the longest I can go without losing sanity.
That gives me plenty of time to play my role as Dad and satisfy everything I need to do to keep the family running smoothly. And she knows I need the "me" time, when I can drop the mask, and does not begrudge it to me.
A turning point came when I finally accepted that, if need be, I loved her enough that I could let her go if that was what she needed. Oddly, knowing I could, and that I would survive, made it easier to see her side, to listen better, and to be a better friend to her.

She began to accept things. We began, ever so slowly to discuss little things....nail care, skin care. One day she helped me pick out some jewelry. Then some makeup. Even, gasp, some panties. Note, my dressing is not something I constantly talk about or make an issue about, but she cannot fail to see the changes occurring due to the hormones.

And I have shared with her the heartache in many of the personal tales told to me by other girls struggling with their own pain, loneliess and despair. My wife has a big heart. The stories touch and move her, just as they do me.
Lately she has warmed even more. One night during the power outage we talked. She is beginning to see how a new, totally unplanned future is developing and that it is not bad. Certainly she is in many ways losing the husband she once knew. But in other ways, her best friend is simply slowly becoming her best girlfriend. She listens to my advice on clothing now...lol
I think she is getting close to being ready to "meet" me.
We laughed about going out to lunch together with me dressed.
And most important, she cuddles against me again at night these days.
No we have not sorted out a return to physical intimacy of a sexual nature again, not yet. And this is an issue...some of you know from private discussions...it is a concern. But it is no longer off the table.
I am cautiously hopeful.
Today is our anniversary.
24 years.
I now think we might make it to 25.
Day by day

Hugs

Sammie

Persephone
07-30-2014, 12:45 PM
Happy Anniversary to you and your spouse, Samantha!

Here's to the next 50 years! :drink:

Hugs,
Persephone.

Brianna_H
07-30-2014, 12:57 PM
Happy Anniversary! Thank you for the detailed and heartfelt update. You're so right about it being one thing to accept the diversity in others, but hard when it involves such a huge change in one's personal life. Open minded people are wonderful, but they still have feelings and needs. I really thank you and the others here for sharing your lives and helping others make good choices. Love your avatar photos. Hope you have a great anniversary and your wife comes to accept the lovely lady you are.

Bria
07-30-2014, 12:58 PM
Happy anniversary, Sammie, I hope it works out for you and your wife, I will remember you both in my prayers!!

Hugs, Bria

Rachael Leigh
07-30-2014, 01:06 PM
Happy anniversary and so sorry for your loss. I hope things continue to go well for you.

Julie Denier
07-30-2014, 01:27 PM
Sad for your loss, but so happy for these developments with your wife. Happy anniversary! ;)

Amy Fakley
07-30-2014, 01:36 PM
Oh congratulations, Sammie.
That story is so wonderful, and I am so glad things are working out between you and your wife.
Perhaps the best is yet to come :-)

Marcelle
07-30-2014, 01:36 PM
Hi Sammie. Firstly my condolences to you and your family for your loss. Death is never an easy thing to accept and when it is someone close it is the hardest.

I am gladdened to hear that your lovely wife may be coming around to all the changes in your lives and that speaks to her understanding and accepting heart. It is not an easy thing for our wives to accept and when they do it is truly a blessing. Tread lightly and I am sure you will reach a place of mutual agreement and peace in your relationship in whatever form that takes on. Congrats on your 24 year anniversary.

Hugs

Isha

Jackie F
07-30-2014, 01:46 PM
Sorry for your loss.
Best of wishes to you and your wife on this journey!
Good Luck!!

JenX
07-30-2014, 03:17 PM
It's been a hell of a year. You are doing the right thing... taking it day by day. Everything will work out... baby steps. ;-)

Katey888
07-30-2014, 03:21 PM
My condolences for your loss, too, Sammie - I hope your wife is bearing up too... :hugs:

But good to hear that your progress continues - I'm sure every day must feel like a week and week like a month, but good that you remain hopeful and that you both seem to be progressing...

Funny how power outages can lead to increased intimacy....? All those candles perhaps.. how romantic... :)

Katey x

Sarah Beth
07-30-2014, 03:52 PM
So sorry to hear of the loss of your loved one.

Happy Anniversary, so happy that you have had that joy. My wife and I just celebrated or 40th this past Monday.

GretchenJ
07-30-2014, 06:32 PM
Hi Sammie,

a) My deepest condolences as to your loss to both you and your family.
b) Congratulations on your anniversary, and the wishes for many many more.
c) I am glad to see that you and your wife are still keeping the communication lines open, and that previous disregarded apps and now back on the table. It is amazing what a power failure will do, when there are no distractions to have conversations that are more intense than those when the tv or stereo is on in the background.

it seems that things are still moving in the right correction. My prayers continue to go out to both of you that you reach a mutual consensus, a continual relationship together in both a physical and spiritual manner.

Gretch

kimdl93
07-30-2014, 06:47 PM
It's an encouraging array of small positive steps. Given the relatively short time since you came out, and the relatively quick commencement of HRT, she certainly had a lot to absorb. And all the adverse reactions you described are familiar...I'd guess most of us have witnessed or experienced something similar.

The slow thaw also is familiar. I've experienced the same with my wife over the four months since we had to hit the reset button. It's as though the emotions boiled over, a sudden cold front came through and cooled things down and now the chill has left the air. I'm hoping for a long spring.

And, of course, congratulations to you and your wife with wishes for many joyous years to come.

LelaK
07-31-2014, 12:14 AM
Two deaths, two rebirths.

bridget thronton
07-31-2014, 01:40 AM
My condolences on losing your father in law. Congratulations on creating a stronger marriage.

natcrys
07-31-2014, 06:00 AM
Sorry to hear about your wife's stepfather's passing.. he sounds like truly good and warm human being!

Apart from that sad news, the rest of your story sounds great and promising! Slow and steady is definitely what works best in this case! :)

I hope things will keep improving.. all the best with telling the kids as well. :)

MsVal
07-31-2014, 09:26 AM
Oh, your poor, dear wife. She must feel awful. I offer my sincere condolences and hope that over the next several days and weeks she can find peace with the loss of her stepfather. She sounds like a remarkable woman.

Your wedding anniversary should be a time of happiness and reflection. I am sorry to read that it is now marred by such a tragedy. Nevertheless, I congratulate you on having passed the 24 year mark and optimism for 25.

Yes, those quiet times alone, whether by choice or by chance can be very enlightening.

Thanks for the progress report.

Best wishes
MsVal

JenniferR771
07-31-2014, 11:40 AM
So sad to hear of the loss in the family.
I am so hopeful that you are making incremental progress in your relationship with your wife. Appreciate her; its a huge adjustment. Keep being the loving person you have always been.

Beverley Sims
08-09-2014, 02:11 PM
Sammie,
Marriage is something that you work at.... All the time.
Good luck to you both.

ArleneRaquel
08-09-2014, 02:52 PM
Ugs and Love to you both.