PDA

View Full Version : Theatre Land.

becky77
08-01-2014, 03:15 AM
And it's not a new theme park opening up beside Tranny Land!

I had a great day Wednesday, went into London to see my Endo and all was good and my E will be raised, then met my Best friend for Lunch.
We had a wonderful meal in a French restaurant just off Covent Garden, extra praise goes to the Portugese waiter nice accent too.
Then we picked up cheaper tickets for the best seats ever to see Mamma Mia in the West End.
It was a fantastic show, I highly recommend it. I love the theatre there is nothing quite like seeing a live performance in front of you.
I've been to a fair few but Mamma Mia is straight up there and Chicago is my all time fav.
I love a play too, ever get a chance to see Women in Black just go for it :)

I did make a small observation, when I am happy and relaxed people seem to initiate conversation with me. Makes me wonder if my sometimes paranoia projected transphobia (credit to whoever it was that made me aware that I might be doing that) gives me a don't approach me face?

I Am Paula
08-01-2014, 06:49 AM
I was really enjoying your post until the last paragraph, then all I could come up with is Huh? Maybe some explanation?

becky77
08-01-2014, 07:08 AM
Yes sorry, I was having a good time so was relaxed confident and just enjoying myself. People started talking to me, the woman next to me in the Theatre wouldn't stop talking to me lol.

I just refelected on it the next day and realised that happens only when i'm feeling good, and possibly projecting confidence and friendlyness maybe.
Made me wonder if other times I am expecting problems and that comes across in my facial expressions or demeanour, in other words I am creating a sense of transphobia because I expect it?

Angela Campbell
08-01-2014, 07:18 AM
When you are out just forget you are transitioning and be a woman, people will respond to it, they always do, smile and they smile back!

Andy66
08-01-2014, 07:21 AM
I know I am more drawn to relaxed, friendly people than people who look uptight, whether they are trans or not. I dont think its necessarily transphobia to avoid people who look like they will be unpleasant.

becky77
08-01-2014, 07:27 AM
When you are out just forget you are transitioning and be a woman, people will respond to it, they always do, smile and they smile back!

That's generally how I am and it gives good return. But if I allow myself to just be and forget my troubles (as you say be a woman) I don't just get people smiling back at me, people initiate conversations. This normally happens when I am with my best friend so often chatting, smiling and forgetting my trans problems. I've had people come to sit next to me just to have a conversation.

It makes me think of the power of positive energy over negative energy and how that benifits us or hinders us.

Just an observation. :)

I know I am more drawn to relaxed, friendly people than people who look uptight, whether they are trans or not. I dont think its necessarily transphobia to avoid people who look like they will be unpleasant.
I couldn't have said it better.

kimdl93
08-01-2014, 07:40 AM
I really like the phrase paranoia projected transphobia! I think I understand it....would this mean that if one is feeling defensive or unsafe in a situation, merited or not, one's expression and body language would likely convey those emotions...causing bystanders to back off. Makes sense.

Kimberly Kael
08-01-2014, 08:49 AM
It makes me think of the power of positive energy over negative energy and how that benifits us or hinders us.

Just an observation.

Nope, it's not just an observation, it's a great observation. People really can tell when we're uncomfortable and it does indeed change their behavior as well as our own expectations. There's a nice built-in feedback loop to being positive, which is a huge part of why self-acceptance is such an important step.

I was having dinner by myself night before last because my wife is out of town. I was sitting on a nearly empty patio, watching the sun set and having a glass of wine when a woman approached me and said she was on her own for dinner, and did I mind if she joined me? We chatted over dinner for more than two hours about everything imaginable, careers, her children, what our spouses were up to, her total lack of an issue with the fact that I was married to a woman, etc. It was really nice and oh so very natural. We parted with a hug and an exchange of contact information and that was that.

Rachel Smith
08-01-2014, 07:25 PM
I made this post in the "I don't hate being a man" thread but it applies here as well

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlyn Michele View Post
in this time period don't think that people around will not notice that you can't stand to be around them.

Do you think it's because they realize we don't like being around them or that we don't like being around ourselves?

I mean really do you like being around people that are sad, depressed and at most times distant? What transition has done for me is made me happy, outgoing, and more of a social person. Now people are happy to spend time with me because I am no longer a downer. Pre-HRT and transition I was not like that. I think they would have liked me just fine before if I had liked myself.

becky77
08-03-2014, 08:39 AM
I did recollect that post as I was writing. I think much of our success comes from within, people react to people.
I have noticed the members here that have had a less turbulent transition, seem to be those with a more positive outlook.
I think good and bad happens to everyone, but some people grasp the good while others dwell on the bad.
I think I can sway from one to the other depending on my day, but I would still describe myself as an optimist, maybe a cautious optimist lol.

Also, am I the only person that loves the theatre! :)

Kimberly Kael
08-03-2014, 10:03 AM
Also, am I the only person that loves the theatre! :)

Nope! It's just that after experiencing live theatre in London everything else is a bit of a disappointment by comparison. I haven't been to the UK in quite a few years, but I used to travel there fairly frequently. Virtually every day I'd make my pilgrimage to the half-price ticket booth near Leicester Square to book something. I've seen Woman in Black, caught Boy George in his own semi-autobiography Taboo, the first production of Tom Stoppard's Invention of Love, and dozens more. There's nothing quite like it.

The large-scale productions I've seen in San Francisco and Seattle just aren't the same, so I normally focus on more intimate settings with a little more passion. I'll always remember seeing Hedwig and the Angry Inch in SF, a show which is half rock concert, half play.

So no, you're definitely not alone.

becky77
08-03-2014, 10:12 AM
I love a play, but Shakespeare kinda rules here which is great but I don't think I would appreciate it. Woman in black is fabulous, just a blank stage, almost no props and two actors. The power of their acting creates everything else and it's wonderful to experience.
I loved the Mousetrap too, longest running play in the West End and every audience ever since has kept the murderer a secret, I love that inclusive feeling that you are a part of a tradition.
Have you seen the film 'The Artist'? I loved that film.

I guess I am lucky to be close to London for the Theatre, isn't Broadway supposed to be wonderful too?

Kimberly Kael
08-03-2014, 10:43 AM
New York is almost 3,000 miles from here so it's not exactly conveniently located. That's closer than London, admittedly, but travel for work used to take me to Europe routinely and almost never to the East Coast. My wife and I have talked about taking a trip just to see a few shows on Broadway but somehow a tropical beach usually winds up higher on our list.