PDA

View Full Version : Out To Corporate

Aly Cat
08-02-2014, 01:42 PM
So yesterday, I was off work but it was a coworkers last day so I brought some pizza up to the store for a little going away party. Since I was off, and everyone at my job knows about me, I went as myself and not the fake male persona I have to portray every day. None of my coworkers batted an eye of course. Well, as we are all enjoying piazza and wings, out walks our district manager from the managers office. I'm pretty much full girl mode minus the wig. I don't think she was expecting to see me like that, but she recovered fast and gave me a warm greeting. I'm not entirely sure if she knew or not since my store manager knows, but if she didn't, she does now!

Dana M
08-02-2014, 01:53 PM
Aly,
I hope corporate does not have a problem. I'm glad your coworker are so accepting.

Aly Cat
08-02-2014, 04:12 PM
I'm not worried. I'm part of my companies corporate LGBT LEAGUE association. My company was ranked as one of the most diversity friendly companies in the country. I just think my bosses boss was caught off guard. I'm sure she was told when my manager found out originally. Who knows. I'm not worked. The food was good, the company was good, and the drinks were good Lol. It's amazing how good soda is after 4 months of not having it!

Ashley Wray
08-02-2014, 04:26 PM
Well I guess the (Aly) cat is out of the bag now :)

reb.femme
08-02-2014, 05:19 PM
Would love to dress for work but not happening in the foreseeable for this girl. My company (as any in the UK) would be OK, but not coming out where I gain no benefit.

Kudos to you though Aly. I'll just dream that I'm in your shoes for the day.

Rebecca

BLUE ORCHID
08-02-2014, 05:58 PM
Hi Aly, The look on her face must've been just priceless.

Aly Cat
08-02-2014, 09:33 PM
Oh it was totally priceless. She just stopped in her tracks and stared for half a second before saying hey. It was pretty funny.

Marcelle
08-02-2014, 09:48 PM
Hi Aly,

What a nice story and what a great working environment you seem to have. I am sure you gave corporate food for thought beyond pizza and wings.

Hugs

Isha

MissTee
08-03-2014, 09:53 AM
Likely not a bad thing. I would do a double take, too, if someone I knew only presented in one gender then unexpectedly I run into them and - BAM. Bet the reaction was priceless indeed.

CynthiaD
08-03-2014, 11:58 AM
That's really cool. Unfortunately, my company has a written policy against unconventional gender expression, and this policy is unlikely ever to change. Otherwise, it's a pretty good job, so I'm content to put up with it.

But if company policy is on your side, why not go for it?

Aly Cat
08-03-2014, 12:02 PM
Oh wow, how is that even legal???

Kate Simmons
08-03-2014, 04:45 PM
Perhaps now Corporate's policies may change for the better? :)

KaceyR
08-03-2014, 05:27 PM
Yeah unfortunately, there's something like 35 states still without laws so that companies technically can fire you for gender expression. "You don't fit the image we're trying to present here at "megacorp"... :(
That even affects those full-time transitioning. Hence the big push for more anti-discrimination laws.
Some companies do better in some ways.
Mine handled a transitioner well 2 yrs ago. Still works there.
But it would take something official (docs, therapists notes, maybe legal name change) to allow this kind of expression.
Still, I wish I could do the full thing there. Or better yet, find another even better company to work for...
Since I'm wishing.. I'll just add 'or win the lottery so I could just do my own company' :)

RenneB
08-03-2014, 07:03 PM
That is such a great story. Unfortunately when I check my company's policy it says I'm at-will/no-cause with no gender identity protection.... I'm still on the job hunt and will definitely check out company's on this list.

www.hirediversity.com/news/2003/3/10/the_most_gayfriendly_companies.htm

Renne.....

flatlander_48
08-03-2014, 07:57 PM
The Human Rights Campaign organization here in the US, http://www.hrc.org/, has a lot of good information about what is happening in the various states regarding Gender Expression Non-Discrimination Act (GENDA). There's also data on their yearly survey, the Corporate Equality Index (CEI). The CEI has a number of different rating factors around LGBT diversity programs, seeking companies under LBGT ownership for inclusion into supply chain activities, written diversity policies including LBGT issues such as transgender benefits, etc.

Our LGBT employee affinity group has worked with our corporate HR to continually move forward on doing well with the CEI as it is not a static target. Every few years there are noticeable changes in one or 2 areas.

Another US organization is Out & Equal Workplace Advocates, http://www.outandequal.org/. They deal specifically with LGBT issues as they relate to the workplace. They do an annual convention called the Workplace Summit. Many of our affinity group have gone over the years and I went in 2009. Great conference, lots of good workshop sessions on a myriad of topics and that year Kate Clinton and Leslie Jordan did standup. What's not to like?

Related to Gender Expression, The thought is for presenting one way or the other, but not going back and forth. If you need to present as the opposite gender, then it is quite permissible to do so. You just can't change your mind next week, only to change it again a few days later.

Aly Cat
08-03-2014, 10:57 PM
Related to Gender Expression, The thought is for presenting one way or the other, but not going back and forth. If you need to present as the opposite gender, then it is quite permissible to do so. You just can't change your mind next week, only to change it again a few days later.

It's the same at my company. They fully support LGBT and have many rules set in place to protect those who are transgender. But, you pick one gender or another. You can't go back and forth. I'm gradually introducing female articles of clothing into my work wardrobe. I've been wearing makeup since day one and styling my hair as feminine as I can as it grows out. I spent my clothing allowance on women's shirts and cardigans instead of getting men's stuff. They just recently changed the rules in pants so now we can wear jeans. I'm still wearing guys jeans but plan on changing that after a while. Shoes will be the last to change. Then I just have to get this cursed name tag changed to Aly... Or Alyson if they want something more formal. My manager doesn't mind gender expression at all as long as it still fits into company dress code policy. 4-ish more months and I'll be legally changing my name so all this will be totally smoothed over.

Oh, and talking about what companies are doing...
My company has a whole system for someone transitioning. First you have a meeting with your manager, area manager, and HR together going over what can be expected and a formal decree of intent. Then after that, there are two store meetings held. One without the person transitioning present so that employees can feel comfortable asking questions that they may not otherwise ask. The second meeting is another store meeting, but this time, the person transitioning is present to answer any other questions. Once that is done, a licensed gender therapist is brought in to do a 3 hour workshop with all the employees going over what is appropriate, what is not, how to address three individuals with correct pronouns etc. This is a required workshop for all employee and managers. Then on the first day of the person who is transitioning coming in as their official female self, introductions are made as if they are a brand new employee and the name is changed in the system, payroll, logins, etc. From that point on, HR erases all records of the old name (excluding background check info and tax info) and all employees are required to use the new name, pronouns etc. If the rules are intentionally not followed, it is viewed by the company as harassment and that employee is reprimanded including and up to termination. My company doesn't mess around with this stuff Lol. They are legitimately in favor for diversity.

kimdl93
08-03-2014, 11:01 PM
I must say, you work for a great company!

Aly Cat
08-03-2014, 11:09 PM
That's AT&T for ya!

Melissa_59
08-04-2014, 10:55 AM
I was going to ask which company - if you were allowed to post. I'll have to look at ways I can support that company with my business now. I'll support a company that genuinely is diversity friendly. :)

~Mel

Brianna_H
08-04-2014, 11:02 AM
Great story, Aly. Nice to hear positive news for a change. Also, this makes me feel better about my phone/internet/cable bill. ;)

Cheers!

flatlander_48
08-04-2014, 02:23 PM
Along those lines, the HRC has a Buyer's Guide that is viewable online or by download or by iPhone and Android apps. Basically it is a ranking by CEI scores and the brand names that are associated with each company. I'm happy to report that my employer has scored 100% for several years now. However, we don't sell anything to the general public, as far as I know. For doing business with other companies, do you really want to have a business relationship with a company that is seen as a barnacle on the ass of progress?

Buyer's Guide:
http://www.hrc.org/apps/buyersguide/index.php#.U9_a4cu9KSM

Thrymr's Bane
08-04-2014, 02:40 PM
I think the policies and processes that AT&T and other companies apparently have in place are great. People have the right to feel however they want about anything in their private lives, but I think leaving no room in company policy to act in ignorance or in an unprofessional manner is needed.

flatlander_48
08-04-2014, 02:49 PM
Sometimes you might get a pass due to lack of knowledge, but if that does happen, it is a one time deal. All Grace and Good Kharma has been used up at that point.

Lauren Richards
08-04-2014, 02:50 PM
Mmmmm pizza!! Oh, and you were en femme, too? Fantastic win-win!! Such a refreshing thing when talent and drive count more than all the other things that some companies spend a lot of time worrying about. Kudos!!

Hugs,
Lauren

Rogina B
08-04-2014, 09:23 PM

As a Transgender Rights activist here in NE Florida,the "switching" seems to be a big fear of employers.I don't feel that fear is justified...Full time girls are not on an agenda to waffle...

Nadya
08-04-2014, 09:31 PM
It's good to hear of a positive experience. I'm sure many of us (myself included) feel a little jealous.

Katey888
08-05-2014, 04:15 AM
Aly it's a great story and good to hear that at least some of the big corps are supportive of transitioning folk... I wonder what the answer would be if I dug into some closest equivalent UK companies... Like BT, f'rinstance...? :thinking: Somehow I don't think they'd be as accommodating but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Thanks for sharing that experience and as always, it' so good to hear how well things are going for you... All that fun on the day job and lap dancing too... :lol:

Katey x

Andrea Payer
08-05-2014, 04:36 AM
that's a lovely story aly and it's good to know that such companies exist. the next time your district manager should buy the pizza :D

flatlander_48
08-05-2014, 09:20 AM
As a Transgender Rights activist here in NE Florida,the "switching" seems to be a big fear of employers.I don't feel that fear is justified...

Perhaps it relates more to confusion. Every time there would be a change, everyone has to respond accordingly. Simply put, people like consistency in behavior.

I would also imagine it could send a message that the person isn't really clear on what they want/need to do. That actually might do more damage socially and politically. It could paint us all as flakes; erroneously so, of course.

Full time girls are not on an agenda to waffle...

True. For anyone that is on the path of transitioning, this is not an issue.

Beverley Sims
08-08-2014, 08:25 AM
Aly,
Now for stage two of your life. :)

chloe44c
08-08-2014, 09:21 AM
Wow what a great story! I always love hearing stories like these.

Carolina
08-08-2014, 10:44 AM
Great story, indeed!

I wish other global companies were that openminded. Your co-workers seem to be great as well.

I wonder how a male manager may have reacted. I tend to believe that women are generally more open to a CD or to a person transitioning