PDA

View Full Version : What's left for men?

Sophia Rearen
01-19-2006, 09:18 PM
I was at Pizzaria Uno's tonight. The entire staff, including the women wore an oxford style shirt, a neck tie, and pants. That got me thinking. Not whining. What typical male clothing has not yet crossed over to the womens fashion world? Help me here.
I'll start. Shoes; workboots, nope women wear them and they could be hot, especially pink ones.
Pants; yea right.
Shirts; tees, sweats, button down, tank tops, wife beaters. All been done.
Hats; baseball caps crossed over and they're cute as hell!
Tuxedos; love women wearing them.
Underwear; boy cut and boxers
So what's left?
And why is it so wrong for us to wear skirts, dresses...?

LisaRaye
01-19-2006, 09:28 PM
Hi sophia, I dont know i've been asking myself the same question. I guess we will find out together, because just about everything has crossed over. looking good past it on.:bs: :bs:

Butterfly Bill
01-19-2006, 09:31 PM
I would say that it is still unusual for a woman to appear in a man's suit and tie, with oxfords or wing-tips, like you would see in the IBM lunchroom. The lady's version will have different lapels, and a tie other than a four-in-hand around the neck, and different shoes and hosiery.

I also haven't seen any women wearing American football uniforms.

Sophia Rearen
01-19-2006, 09:43 PM
I would say that it is still unusual for a woman to appear in a man's suit and tie, with oxfords or wing-tips, like you would see in the IBM lunchroom. The lady's version will have different lapels, and a tie other than a four-in-hand around the neck, and different shoes and hosiery.

I also haven't seen any women wearing American football uniforms.

Annie Lenox comes to mind.
You won't catch me in an american football uniform either.

NylonMan
01-19-2006, 09:45 PM
Sophia you can't be any more correct. Talk about a double standard.

simonep
01-19-2006, 10:24 PM
Annie Lenox comes to mind.
You won't catch me in an american football uniform either.

Sophia

Well they are doing it at least partly have a look here at the Lingerie Bowl and there are probably others.

http://www.lingeriebowl.com/gallery/

Whats really cross dressing??

Simone

Melinda G
01-19-2006, 10:47 PM
It's a blatant double standard. Always has been. Always will be. It's at least partly the result of the womens lib movement, and women no longer feel the need to please men.
You just don't see many women wearing heels and short skirts anymore. When I dress up, and look in the mirror, I just smugly think to myself, "who needs women".
I've been a deejay for many years, and I play a lot of singles dances, and I am appalled at what many women wear to a dance, hoping to meet a guy. They haven't a clue. But there are always a few, dressed to the nines, who still know what bait to use in the trap. :cheeky:

Sometimes when I'm all dressed up and looking good, I look in the mirror and think, if women dressed like this, I wouldn't have to. Naahhhh. I still would. It's too much fun.
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/5070/m153ef.jpg

Rebecca Petersen
01-19-2006, 10:49 PM
I can safely assume that you would not find a woman wearing a jock strap. I think.
Rebecca

DanaJ
01-19-2006, 11:02 PM
Darn Rebecca - you stole my answer! :D

Melinda G
01-19-2006, 11:03 PM
Thats probably next, in their endless rebellion against anything feminine.:cheeky:

Melinda G
01-19-2006, 11:07 PM
I have a couple of nice ladies after me right now. But they both are into the "frump" look. They haven't a chance. Why would I accept all the restrictions on my activitys, that go with a relationship, for someone who doesn't look as good as I do. I have better legs, than any of the women I know.

Ooops. Sorry bout that. Now I'm being catty. Goes with the dress, or the territory.:cheeky:

Michelle Hart
01-19-2006, 11:41 PM
Melinda G is right. Women today think sexy is baggy pants and a sweatshirt.

When I go out it's a suit and tie, classic dress code for me. The number of times I've gone to pick up a date over the years to be met at the door by "Miss grundge" is to high to count. I wear my 4" heels all day while at home and am fine but constantly hear girls complain. Geez.....

It really is sad what "Womens Liberation" has liberated........ Femininity.:cry:

Billijo49504
01-19-2006, 11:43 PM
Just a minute, I worked with a female, definately not a lady, by her own words, who was into karate , big time. She told me that for some big ternaments, everyone has to wear a cup, even the girls. Of course I never checked, so I guess I have to take her word for it...BJ

Marlena Dahlstrom
01-20-2006, 12:17 AM
If you read Anne Hollander's excellent "Sex and Suits" you'll find that women's clothing has been stealing from men's for centuries. And today there's very little that's off-limits.

(Hollander make the intriguing -- and fairly convincing -- argument that men's clothing has actually been fashion innovator. Partly this is because Hollander's focus is on the structure of clothing rather than the surface decoration. Of course, some of us like the ornamental aspects. :) )

As far as why men wearing women's clothing is looked down upon, it has everything to do with society unfortunately giving women lesser status than men. FTM crossdressers have been fairly common -- and generally accepted -- in Western history (as amply documented in the Bulloughs' "Crossdressing, Sex and Gender") because people understood why women would do so to gain social status and the ability to do things they couldn't do as women.

Incidentally, while we're often girlie-girls who happen to be men, I do find it horribly ironic that some CDs seem to want to dictate the same sort of gender role restrictions for GGs that we ourselves chafe it. :mad:

Tamara Barclay
01-20-2006, 12:23 AM
AT the risk of ticking some people off..it is NOTa double standard about the clothes!

Yes, women can wear mens jeans, and we can't wear a skirt.

But the cute girl in the guys jeans isn't wearing a strap on.

Rosemary
01-20-2006, 05:27 AM
I think a girl wearing boy's clothes can be taken too far. Yes a girl can wear jeans and tees and shorts etc, my sister does "all the time", But at what price?

A girl who dresses in drab clothes all the time gets to be boring and in extreme cases unattractive, she may even be thought of as a lesbian by the very guys she thinks she looks beautiful to.

Lots of girls my age wear boys clothes, but when they really want to make themselves look attractive, they mostly go back to wearing a dress and make up

BTW have you noticed that dresses are coming back "in" for teens, maybe some of you more mature ladies haven't noticed it but it's true. Look around and you'll see I'm right.;)

Mary

Sophia Rearen
01-20-2006, 08:02 AM
But the cute girl in the guys jeans isn't wearing a strap on.

Are you sure?
I wear breast forms under my guy clothes.

Tamara Barclay
01-20-2006, 08:18 AM
The point I was trying to make is that for 99% of CDs there is no "double standard" on clothing.

I get tired of this argument. Do all these girls who wear pants and suits take on the male gender role when dressed? But here we are dressing, and padding and perfuming our bodies and stepping into the female gender role. We wear wigs and paint our nails. We wear high heels and make up.

When I go into work today I can guarentee that all the women will be in jeans, and not a one of them will be mistaken for a man!

kwebb
01-20-2006, 08:34 AM
I know of two women who would come to work from time to time in extremely masculine-oriented looking pants suits, complete with neck ties. And you could defintely sense a certain 'swagger' about them on those days. It was in stheir stride, they way they looked at you. If not masculine, they certainly felt SOMETHING different on those days.

I also know of some women's football leagues too, where they put on all of the armor. I don't see any men out there on the sidelines in cheerleader skirts, either.

Sophia Rearen
01-20-2006, 08:47 AM
Okay, we're getting a little off topic here. Other than a jock , what other typical clothing has not crossed over? BTW why would a woman ever want to wear a jock? I can't stand them myself! Oh, I guess that's my fem side coming through.:D

Tamara, I'm not real big on the double standard issue. But, it's one that will never go away. And, it's one that kind of defines who we are. Women may subtley change their behavior when dressed in more masculine clothes. They may feel alittle more self confidence and strength. Put them in a corporate womans pant suit and watch them become powerful. As for me, dress me up and I'm still me. I'll just become more relaxed, poised, compassionate, forgiving and hopefully graceful. So, while I may be emmulating more of a female gender role, who's to say how much is emmulation and how much is the real me coming out?

Sophia Rearen
01-20-2006, 08:49 AM
As I was replying. See kwebbs example. Case in point.

TGMarla
01-20-2006, 09:13 AM
I, too, have long argued that M2F crossdressing goes deeper than the clothing. Double standard? Yes, but it's a tired argument, full of holes. I'm struck by Butterfly Bill's answer that a woman's suit will have different lapels, etc. The thought came to mind, gee, would my dress be more socially acceptable if it had different lapels? Sophia makes a decent argument here. Whereas there are articles of clothing which by nature of the cut or the design are considered feminine, and are made available for everyday wear for women only. However, even though any trip through the men's department at any clothing store will reveal an enormous amount of clothing that was designed strictly for men, no one will raise an eyebrow at a woman shopping there. No one will care if these clothes are worn by a woman while she is out in public. Man's shirt too large? She can roll up the sleeves and tie the shirt tails in the front, and she looks fine. Most any article of men's clothing can be worn by a woman. No one cares. Women can adapt men's clothing to their own needs. The double standard comes in when we see that clearly there is typically no way for a man to adapt women's clothing to his needs and get away with it in public. Even without the breast forms and the wigs, it just doesn't fly.

So what is left for only men? Suit coats, wing tips, not much else. I've seen women wearing boxer shorts with jockstraps worn on the outside while they are roller blading....some kind of fashion statement? Women may have their own adaptations of the male sport coat, but I guarantee that none of mine look good on women. Same with my dress shoes. They just look male oriented.

So what's left for men and only men? The answer is.....not much.

Tamara Barclay
01-20-2006, 10:41 AM
I do know the one single solitary item that is only for men.

Underwear with holes in it!!!! Boxers and briefs so thread bare that the next trip in the washing machine they could end up as a ball of string.

NylonMan
01-20-2006, 10:54 AM
Actually there is a womens jock strap for hockey.

Sophia Rearen
01-20-2006, 11:04 AM
Actually there is a womens jock strap for hockey.
You're kidding right?

Sophia Rearen
01-21-2006, 08:30 AM
I guess our 'idealism of femininity' for the purposes of feeling fully like the woman inside of us allows us to freely imagine a certain rather "sexy" image of the woman we are inside. We rarely imagine our female selves in our minds looking like Bea Arthur or Janet Reno but are sometimes very disappointed with how we look in the mirror when after getting all dolled up and first looking in the mirror. Our bowling ball-sized head and size 11 (or larger) shoes and "Man-hands" give us away.

That's a blast of reality I didn't need!:bs:
I agree with everything you have said.
Big difference though, I find a woman dressing masculine to be terribly attractive and exciting. The double standard for me exists where I would love for others to feel the same way when I'm out. And to some degree, there are those few women who truly enjoy seeing us dressed. God bless them!

Anne Charlotte
01-21-2006, 08:39 AM
I don't know about anyone else on here, but I found this quite demeaning...

http://www.lingeriebowl.com/gallery/

In the pursuit if male/female sexual equality I think this is a backward step.....I can't believe that a woman would have thought of this idea as it simply panders to the alpha-males in the crowd.

Anyone else have a similar opinion ?

Colleen
01-21-2006, 08:58 AM
there is an auction pit worker all female named Amy that works for the Barret Jackson Classic Car Auction for the past 3 years she has on a all male white shirt blue sport coat pants and shoes just as all the other males.Sexey I dought it but she dose get alot of the high bidders.

Kimberly
01-21-2006, 09:16 AM
another item to recently go over to the female wardrobe, that are fashionable at the moment are waistcoats. They look awful, (not biased - they really do. I wouldn't wear one as a GG,) but they seem popular in the smart wardrobes of the up-to-date woman.

Let's take something of theirs - like high heels.... oh no, wait. I do that anyway! xx

terza
01-21-2006, 11:45 AM
it is hardly double-standard when women have had to fight for their
self expression (under the umbrella of women liberty); while
our "battle" lacks a identifiable cause -- we ourselves are a bit
unsure even in our private lives.
women lib cause is a real tangible injustice that lend easily
for empathy. if we get stuck on clothing items as a battle,
then our cause, even to me, is frivolous and unworthy of broad empathy --
there has to be a comprehensive, worthy cause for CDer to recruit
wide support.

lashing out and fighting flawed battles wastes time and energy,