PDA

View Full Version : Letting off steam

Cheyenne Skye
08-02-2014, 10:47 PM
I know I should be in bed because I have to be at work early tomorrow. But I have a bunch of crap I need to get off my (not big enough :Angry3:) chest.

Biggest gripe right now is work. Three months ago I came out to my employer. A large corporate restaurant chain with well known diversity policies. I thought, no problem. Even if it's against their personal beliefs, I should have no problems because everybody would have to abide by company policy. Wrong. At first it seemed like I had quite a few allies amongst the wait staff. That's still mostly true though I get the feeling that maybe a couple were just following protocols, so to speak. There is one waitress in particular that really aggravates me. At first she was like, just give me some time to get use to it. But she hasn't used the right name yet. Just two days ago she comes back to tell me about a special request. It was on a dish that I start and someone else finishes. Then I hear her tell the other cook about it. She ended by saying, "I already told (male name)" so I said loudly, "You told who?" She said, "I told (male name)?" Again I said,"You told who?" We did this dance one more time while I just stared at her. Then she finally got it. She said, "I really am trying." I wanted to scream but I managed a half joking response. "Try harder".

But then there are my fellow cooks. On the one hand, they still treat me like "one of the guys". They haven't given any notion that they have a problem with my transition. They still talk to me as they always have, laughing and joking about whatever topic pops up. But on the other hand, they still treat me like one of the guys. That is to say, now they are usually pretty good with using my new name, but gods be damned if a single person there can use the proper pronouns. It infuriates me to no end. And they use the wrong pronouns right to my face without blinking. For instance, one co-worker came over and said he had just talked to the manager about when everyone would get their breaks (we had quite a few people working doubles). This person told me the manager had told him (the co-worker) to go first. To which my co-worker said to me: "Then I asked when he (referring to me) would get a break." This sort of thing happens all the time and I'm sick of it. I've been known to be a bit of a hothead in the past so I'm afraid if I constantly scold people for using the wrong pronoun, they will just chalk it up to me being the usual @ss that I had been for many years. I'm trying so hard to not be that person, but this atmosphere is dragging me back down.

So you say, go talk to you general manager. I would if I thought it would do any good. When I first came out, I got the impression that he couldn't be bothered with the whole mess even though he was the one going back and forth with corporate on all the paperwork necessary to complete my name change. And I even had to call him out after about a month because even he wouldn't use my new name. Ok so how about this. Go over his head to his boss. He came by our store about a month ago. He even came up to me and told me to call him if I needed anything in reference to my transition. That was after he came over, clapped me on the back and said, "Hey buddy, how's it going?" But then again, this is the same guy who, several years ago when he first got promoted to his current position, took me out back and told me he disliked my attitude so much that I should choke myself on my toothbrush. We have come a way since then but only because he recognizes my skills. Nine out of ten times, if he asks me a question about a recipe, I'll get it right when he himself is wrong. My only other option is of course to call the HR hotline. But if I do that, I fear, my life now would be a cake walk compared to the hell that would unleash.

Then there is my family. I think I can understand why my mom is having kind of a hard time with it. We haven't really been close for a long time and she was the second to last person I came out to. But my sister is another story. She was the second person I told (after my now ex-wife). Two weeks ago, I ended up adopting a cat. The local shelter was set up at the mall and I wandered over and fell in love with little Ariel. Anyway, I called my sister to ask her to take the cat back to her house and watch her while I ran to the store and got a litter box, food etc. (She has four cats of her own) So I get to her house to pick up the cat. We chat a bit and I'm ready to leave. She calls to the cat, "Daddy's ready to leave." I mean come on.:wtf: I told her almost three years ago what I was doing. Hell, I was living with her during my divorce. That was the same time I started taking hormones. And that day I was wearing a low cut t-shirt with a push-up bra. You couldn't help but notice. And she still refers to me as her brother. Should I be happy they are still talking to me at all or just tell them, "Look, call me by the right name and pronouns or don't talk to me at all." But then I really would be alone. It's bad enough rattling around this empty house by myself all the time. But if I need human interaction, my sister is just a walk down the street. If I gave her an ultimatum like that, she might as well live on the other side of the planet, not the other side of the street.

Going full time felt great at first. A great burden lifted from my shoulders. But now the fallout is starting to pile up. And I don't have a shovel big enough. I would talk to my therapist but he left the clinic I saw him at last month and I'm waiting for him to get his own office set up so I can continue with him. I have a potential appointment in two weeks but it's not set in stone yet.

I'm not really sure if I feel any better but tomorrow is a new day. Maybe it will be better in the morning.:strugglin :yawn:

Badtranny
08-02-2014, 11:10 PM
You really need to chill girl.

...and I mean CHILL.

If your real attitude is anything like what came through in this post than you are looking at a life that will make this last three months look like a cool morning nap.

I was dealing with this kind of stuff at work over a year after I went full time AFTER FFS and a BA! Every transitioner I know goes through the same stuff. I changed jobs to get away from my old name, but my family will probably never see me for anything other than the dude they knew.

This is the life. You have two options, get used to it, or get a another job because you will never change those people. I commend you for your courage to transition in place, but there comes a time when we all have to move on and spread our butterfly wings. Perhaps this is your time?

Kimberly Kael
08-02-2014, 11:15 PM
There can definitely be times when it feels like nothing is quite working out the way you had hoped, and it sounds like you're squarely in the middle of one. As you say, hopefully tomorrow is a step back on the right path. For the most part all I can offer is empathy, but I do have one concrete suggestion. Instead of confronting your sister maybe you could ask for her help? Ask her what it is about you that still reads male to her, why it's difficult for her to get used to new pronouns et al. Let her know that you understand that it's difficult but that it would mean a lot to you to make forward progress.

If she thinks you're asking for her guidance and assistance she's much more likely to be in the right frame of mind than if she feels like she's being accused of not supporting you or given an ultimatum. Just a thought.

noeleena
08-03-2014, 02:34 AM
Hi,

can i say as i dont know your people over your way and some attitudes seem quite different to us here in NZ ,as to names my birth name is noel or no-el , and at others requests and they were more than happy with it was / is noeleena,

now over night a nation changed with me and from knowing noel accepted with out a moments hesitation to noeleena, now if over 3 Million people can change over night and call me noeleena , then i see little reason over a month those around you can not get used to another name

I have a few who call me noel and thats lovely and i would never ask them to say different .

yes i know it was far easyer in my case yet .......its about attitude .

A persons demeanor shows through and in how one handles a situation no matter how tough and sometimes we are better to step back and see it from the other persons side of view ,

hard as that may be sometimes , i know because iv had to pull my self back and back off , long term, ill use what i have done i,v won the others over by not retaliating and just do what im meant to be doing and with out a word , the time will come and will work out right ,

Plain english .....>>> ZIP IT <<<.....

...noeleena...

stefan37
08-03-2014, 03:14 AM
Those close to me have known about me transitioning for a very long time. I have been full-time for a year now. I still get called by my old name and pronouns at work. For the most part they are good, but slipups are common. It is not unital to be, him, her, he, she in the same paragraph. Guess what!! Welcome to the world of transition. There will be many that will never see you other than your birth gender.

My parents will most likely never call me Stephanie or Steph. I WILL always be their son. But they accept my decision and I can be me around then. They are 80 years old and I will cherish the time they have left. My soon to be ex does her best at work to use my new name and proper pronouns but still slipups happen. At home it is still Steve and him. She is my business b partner and we will remain friends.

Only way to escape it at work is to find a different job. I would transition in place and complete as much as you can then move on. Just because you are transitioning doesn't mean others will automatically treat you as female.

I joined a sailing club and I have been well received. I have not had any facial work yet. My hairline is maleish and I get midgendered frequently. They have only known me as Stephanie and I definitely present as female, but some get it some do not. But they all treat me with respect. Those that do misgender me reinforces in me the need to further work on my presentation.

Transition is a brutal process that really forces us to learn an entirely new set of social skills in a very short period of time. Many of us will never leave trannyland because they refuse to change who they really are. Hormones, breasts and a dress will not magically allow others to see us as female. I will almost guarantee to have not changed your behavior sufficiently at work for your coo workers to take notice. Oh and even if you do, I doubt it will change their attitude.

Better get used to the misgendering. It will be with you for a long time. And to escape it at work will definitely require a change of venue.

BOBBI G.
08-03-2014, 06:37 AM
Cheyenne,
I have to agree with BT. I have friends and ex-family that have known me longer than some of their kids have been on this earth. I'm talking, like, 40 plus years. I have been living as a female 1-1/2 years now and I still get miscalled and the wrong pronouns used, on occasion, and thought it does aggravate, I am grateful they are still talking with me.
As for co-workers, I can't help much. I saw my supervisor about a week after I opened the closet door, and she had no problems. I had concerns about a large corporate meeting on the calendar, and She assured me there would be no problems. I asked it she minded me going to her supervisor to get his feeling on my appearance at the meeting. He also assured me there would be no trouble , and should there be an problems at all, to let him know, and he would take care of it immediately. The few people I see at my job could care less. I am me and they are they. The majority of them were introduced to me by my name "Bobbi" and that is how I am called.
Just lucky,

Bobbi

Nicole Erin
08-03-2014, 10:23 PM
They knew the male side first so that is going to be REAL hard to shake. It is nothing personal.

For them treating you as "one of the guys", no big deal there. If they are at least treating you as a human being, that is good. Not all TS have that luxury.

You are out at work and I assume working in your new gender role. People are still being nice to you. It sounds like things are going well, honestly.

arbon
08-03-2014, 10:59 PM
Transitioning at work is a hard thing. Sometimes it takes a lot of time for people. Where I work its still an ongoing issue and I have those days when I can't win, days when people embarrass me. It does hurt but at work if you need the job you don't let it show or become an issue. You can talk to people one on one in calm manner and try to explain why its important for but it can be a slow learning process for them.

LeaP
08-04-2014, 08:52 AM
I'm not transitioned yet, so take this as you will. I completely agree with Misty (Badtranny). As I was reading the OP, I was barely a few sentences in before I was thinking that you were a real handful from a management standpoint. Then I hit the line about you having a reputation for being a hothead!

I've managed people for 35 years, including many, many instances of disciplinary actions. Based on what you are describing, I would guess that you are on thin ice. I say this in full recognition that you are in a difficult position, may have some legitimate complaints, may be facing actual discrimination as well as ongoing lapses, and may not have full management recognition and support.

What do you think the chances are of success in this situation by the issues spontaneously taking care of themselves? Or being resolved by continued conflict? Zero. Open conflict alone at the workplace of the type you are describing can result in your being fired. It is not an appropriate way of handling the situation.

My suggestion is that you get together with management and plot a path out of this mess. There are ways of escalating to more senior management if needed. You are more likely to get structured support from a corporate HR department than you are with local managers. But diversity policies notwithstanding, you should keep in mind that HR departments, in the end, exist to protect companies, not to protect employees! They will typically try to do the right thing by you. They will do their best to execute against workplace policies and the law with good intentions. Right up until the point where they start seeing you as the problem. At that point, the focus will turn from supporting you to working with management to work you out.

Your best chance of success is to lay your case out with whoever the right management is, present your actions in the workplace as frustration that you need and want to get past, and ask for assistance in resolving the situation. It needs to be sincere.

And chill.

Jorja
08-04-2014, 09:44 AM
I totally agree with what Lea has said here. I do understand exactly how you feel and how frustrating it is to be continually disrespected and misgendered. However, you said it yourself, "I have a reputation for being a hothead!" Slow your roll and do it right for a change. Get in contact with the appropriate management personnel and together find a solution to your problems. Remember, they are a large corporate restaurant chain with well known diversity policies. Work with them!

JohnH
08-04-2014, 01:07 PM
But then there are my fellow cooks. On the one hand, they still treat me like "one of the guys". They haven't given any notion that they have a problem with my transition. They still talk to me as they always have, laughing and joking about whatever topic pops up. But on the other hand, they still treat me like one of the guys.

They knew the male side first so that is going to be REAL hard to shake. It is nothing personal.

For them treating you as "one of the guys", no big deal there. If they are at least treating you as a human being, that is good. Not all TS have that luxury.

I say be grateful your fellow workers are not shunning you. That would be much worse than your current situation.

Johanna Anna

Pink Person
08-04-2014, 08:44 PM
There are many ways to be offended by the behavior of other people. There is only one sure way to buffer yourself against assaults on your dignity. Maintain a very large amount of self-respect and a similarly large amount of respect for other people. It’s easy to be offended by other people when your self-respect is depleted. Don’t let it fall to a level where you can’t endure minor insults. Likewise don’t let your respect for other people sink so low that you can’t pardon any of their imperfections. Sometimes it takes deliberate effort to manage your emotions. Don’t assume your temper will control itself automatically.

Cheyenne Skye
08-06-2014, 12:23 AM
I've been busy the last couple of days (working of course) but I would like to respond to some of the comments.

First I would like to remind everyone that the point of my post was to vent so that I wouldn't go off on anyone and make the situation worse. And I'm sorry if I gave the impression that I start sh!t with people when they misgender me. I don't. That's why I'm so frustrated right now. I bottle it up and let it eat at me. And each time I have said something to someone it was a case of taking them aside and calmly telling them how I feel. And I would like to take my concerns to my management but as I stated my general manager wouldn't even use my new name until I took him aside and told him how much it upset me that he wasn't using it. And his boss and I are on tenuous terms for the most part. His reasoning for not liking me all that much for the last few years was that I was always down and depressed. (We can all guess some of the reason for that.) He wants all the employees to be upbeat and outgoing at all times. That's not who I was and he couldn't get over it. So I really don't know to which level of management to go to with my concerns. That just feeds my anxiety about the whole situation. If I knew who to talk to, I would at least have some hope of a resolution.

@Lea: I seriously doubt I am on thin ice. I have been with the company for a little over 11 years now and only have one negative write up in my file. It was because of an incident involving a previous manager who was later fired. That was around eight years ago. I'm otherwise a model employee. I'm always on time, rarely call out, work extra shifts when asked, and very good at my job. Having been depressed for so long I was quick to anger when put under a lot of stress. That is what I meant when I said i was a hothead.

Now my main source of depression is my financial situation. After my divorce, I am saddled with so many additional debts. And I haven't had any change in my income since before the divorce. So every day I get up and go to work, I am reminded that no matter how hard I work, it won't improve my financial situation. Chances are, I'm just projecting that on top of the issues with name and pronouns.

You should also keep in mind that the anti-discrimination/diversity policy uses the terms gender identity or gender expression. I wear a uniform and work a sweaty, dirty job. I grew my hair out about three years ago and if I wore makeup, I would just sweat it off. So unfortunately, my appearance didn't change when I came out (aside from what hormones have done). Which makes things more difficult for sure. So the only part of that policy that really applies to me is the identity. Without some outward projection of that, it makes it much harder to convince others what I feel inside. I have to rely solely on my declaration of my identity. So I guess what I'm really saying is, does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this catch-22?