PDA

View Full Version : Washington DC

countrygirl
08-04-2014, 02:07 PM
Ladies,

I hope this is the place for this. I am sorry if it is not correct place for this question.

I am headed to Washington DC for the day tomorrow. I am tempted to go to Washington DC dressed as Amanda. It would be the first time I ever went out as Amanda. Should I is the question. So very nervous about this decision. HELP!!!!

Amanda L.
08-04-2014, 02:35 PM
If it was me I would go,as Amanda, such a lovely name.
Seriously do it. The rush will be enormous. Have you got someone to go with you? It might help to have someone in support or at least keep the engine running in the get away car.
Good luck
Cheers
Amanda

countrygirl
08-04-2014, 02:42 PM
No, I would go alone. I would be taking the metro not driving. I want to wear a dress, however there is a part of me that says no wear pants. I have ladies jeans it it just takes a lot of padding to fill them out.

AllieSF
08-04-2014, 03:13 PM
It all depends on how confident you are and on how well you can handle any "issues" that may happen, like cat calls, stares, looks and whispering, etc. I always recommend for the first time out to do it very low key, with a partner if possible and keep a lot of "exit options" available. You will be taking the metro so you are immediately held prisoner so to speak once you get on that train until you get off. I.e. the only exit option is the next station and then you need to go back the way you came. If you have the courage and confidence, then that is another situation. As for dressing and makeup, as many will say here, keep it really simple, dress down and comfortable, i.e. no heels or too short or tight dress or skirt, and Plain Jane makeup, not too much and no wild colors or heavy eye brows and eye lashes (raccoon eyes). I would think that you want to make that first time a big success and avoid issues, stares or unnecessary comments to you. There are a ton of other older threads here about how to go out that first time with recommendations from a short walk around the subdivision at night to a train ride into or through a big city. Whatever you choose to do, remember to keep you head up (sun glasses help a lot there!), look people in the eyes and smile and try to not let your nervousness show through too much. Have a great time.

DonnaT
08-04-2014, 03:25 PM
You shouldn't have any problems, depending on where you are going.

I've ridden the Metro enfemme.

Visiting museums won't be an issue.

DC has anti-discrimination laws. Just stay away from the shady parts of town.

Krisi
08-04-2014, 04:40 PM
There are parts of Washington DC where I wouldn't go as a large, armed male, much less dressed as a female. On the otherhand, much of it is as safe as anywhere in the world, especially in the daytime.

I would be more concerned with the heat. This time of year, most GGs will be wearing as little as possible because of the heat. Check the forecast before you go. The other issue would be having to use the restroom.

alwayshave
08-04-2014, 07:50 PM
Amanda, Any portion of NW DC, Dupont, U St., Georgetown, Friendship Heights, etc. should be OK. Also directly around the Capitol and the Mall (Smithsonian), also OK. No to any where in SE or NE, except for directly around the Capitol. The problem with DC is you can be in a really nice neighborhood and drift two blocks over and it can be really sketchy.

falcongts
08-04-2014, 08:02 PM
For me I would not Do it for my first time out and alone at that Be CAREFUL !!

Sometimes Steffi
08-04-2014, 09:05 PM
If the question is can you, I would say "Yes". You got a couple of comments above from DC area locals.

If the question is should you, I would say, "Maybe". If you're confident that you can handle whatever may come up, then go for it, but be careful. I'm also a local, and I've been out dozens of times in NoVa, but I've never gone to DC dressed, nor have I gone on the Metro dressed. But, I have a lot of friends who have.

Just remember, that once on the Metro, you will be locked in until the next stop. During the rush hours, you may have trouble finding a spot to stand without bumping into other people. During the mid-day and after the evening rush hour, you may be almost alone on the train and at the stations. I was a regular commuter for several years, and an occasional weekend user, and I had a few scary incidents in male mode. I even got off the train once to avoid a disconcerting incident that may or may not have turned serious. A guy was on the train, who might or might not have had some mental issues, but he was being loud and obnoxious and dropping trou.

If you have some concerns, and you have an accepting wife or another way to visit DC another time, check out this web site:

http://www.meetup.com/DC-TransLadies-Community/

There's a girls night out in a couple weeks with 25 girls already signed up to attend. It's a place that we go to regularly, that appreciates our business, and there is safety in numbers. There are usually a couple of SOs in attendance.

countrygirl
08-04-2014, 09:22 PM
No wife as I am gay. I will be alone. I have nobody other then family mom,dad, sister that knows I dress but it is they can't see there is no problem. With sister she said someday maybe she will go out. But not anytime soon.

Ladies, thanks for your helpful insight to this first to timer. I think I will probably not be dressing out right. Maybe just keep it to underdressing. I want no problems of having to explain to family why I was dressed as Amanda and not as my male self Ben if I got into trouble.

Beverley Sims
08-08-2014, 08:32 AM
I would say do it, just as long as your act is perfected enough to pass without too many problems.

Annaliese
08-08-2014, 08:53 AM
Good luck with your trip, as I will be traveling to DC in September this has given me some good Ideas

DonnaT
08-13-2014, 12:31 PM
Amanda, Dupont Circle is one of the better known gay/trans friendly areas. The area is famous for the high heel races every you the night before Halloween.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUdtf1lEcVI