PDA

View Full Version : "This look totally works for you"

LeslieSD
08-04-2014, 03:34 PM
My SO is traveling this month, so I am taking this opportunity to go out as much as I can. A few days ago, I passed Costco and happened to remember that I needed to buy some soil milk and other stuff I needed. Normally I don't dress and go to Costco, because that is one of the "ID" places.

For those who are not in US, Costco is a membership warehouse store. That means to checkout and buy stuff here, you will need to show your membership card. Your photo is on the membership card, and they match that to you. The photo on my card is of terrible quality, but it is definitely recognizable as a male. For that reason, I have almost never been to Costco dressed. But, this time I was thinking: this Costco is a good 15 miles from my house. No, I am not concerned so much on running into someone I know (I don't know many anyway), but the gas is expensive these days and I don't want to come back for another trip (economy leverage starts working). So I said to myself, "Let's do it".

Into Costco I went, and everything went pretty smoothly. Then it is time to checkout. Out of the array of cashiers, I chose an older lady (probably in her 50s). For some reason, I always felt that ladies are more pleasant to work with even when something went wrong. Anyway, she greeted me, looked at my membership card, and then looked back at me saying "I would need to see an ID". Sure, I have my driver's license ready. She checked to make sure everything matches, then returned them back to me with a smile and said the words that made my day - "This look totally works for you!"

"Yeah, I like this look a lot better too!" I replied with a grin. :)

DonnaT
08-04-2014, 03:37 PM
California Cool!

Nadine Spirit
08-04-2014, 03:43 PM
Leslie-

Good job and nice complement. Just FYI Costco will issue you an ID with your fem picture. I have two cards, one male, and one female. I told them what I wanted and they were happy to do it.

CynthiaD
08-04-2014, 03:45 PM
If your avatar is any indication, I totally agree! Cool!

LeslieSD
08-04-2014, 03:58 PM
Just FYI Costco will issue you an ID with your fem picture. I have two cards, one male, and one female. I told them what I wanted and they were happy to do it.

Really? That sounds cool. I have the Amex card which doubles as the membership card. Can they do that too? I guess I will go in to find out one day. Even though Costco is not my favorite shopping destination when dressed, it is good to get stuff done while I am out there.

Dana does shopping
08-04-2014, 04:04 PM
Great look is right Leslie, but, those Nazis at Costco ... You don't save much & You gotta show Your ID?! Geesh ... I HATE getting jerked around by retailers ...

samantha rogers
08-04-2014, 04:16 PM
Dana, Costco is actually a great store. They only ask for id b/c they are a membership store, but in all other respects they are fabulous. Great products, good prices and an extremely progressive store. The CEI takes a relatively modest pay check and employees are treated very well with an extremely open minded and liberal hiring policy. Costco is a poster child for how good citizen businesses shoyld be run, at least inmy opinion. I never mind spending my dollars there, and I spend way too many...lol

Sarah Beth
08-04-2014, 04:55 PM
I've never been in a Costco but Sam's Club is a memebership thing to with photo ID cards but they never pay much attention to the cards, our son has used my wifes card as well as mine to go there and pick up items. So I have to wonder how much the clerk's at any of those places really care.

Roberta Young
08-04-2014, 04:58 PM
Leslie, Wow what a cutie. Hugs Roberta

Joan_CD
08-04-2014, 05:02 PM
I was in Costco in Danbury on Sunday. Second time I've gone there. I showed my membership card both times and not a word was said!

KaceyR
08-04-2014, 05:05 PM
Same way Sara..I've used SAMs club membership many times dressed. No issues.
Then again, they don't pay much attention. Their printer did such a bad job with the photo even my male side doesn't match. (Almost looks like a 4-bit photo printed on a 1980's dot matrix printer... :) )

willow-the-wisp
08-04-2014, 05:07 PM
It's great if you can pass as you obviously can
me? I never make it past my own door. Have to
shop online or my oid male selfie

Jen60
08-04-2014, 05:09 PM
Your look is totally passable, so i agree that it works for you!

Eringirl
08-04-2014, 05:15 PM
Outstanding Leslie! Way to rock the look! I would like to go to my Costco, but they really do check I'd. I have seen them turn people away. However, good to know that they will do a second membership card with new picture! Great story

Hugs,

Erin

lauren_m
08-04-2014, 07:22 PM
How wonderful; congrats on the positive experience!!!

Angie G
08-04-2014, 07:34 PM
Awesome Leslie.:hugs:
Angie

BLUE ORCHID
08-04-2014, 08:02 PM
Hi Leslie, I can sure see why she wanted to see some more ID, No guy should look that lovely.
Here in Baltimore gasoline is about $0.10 cheaper @ COSTCO than the street price.

UNDERDRESSER
08-04-2014, 08:22 PM
When I go to Costco, which is not very often, I borrow the corporate card, and pay with cash. Not that ID would be a problem as I'm not even thinking of "passing"

Costco and Sams are both membership stores, but they do not have similar reputations. I would not expect the staff at Sams to be as focused on their jobs, whereas all the Costco people I have dealt with are pretty much always on the ball. That's what happens when you pay a good wage and treat the staff right, they work to stay there!

Lauren Richards
08-04-2014, 09:07 PM
Leslie,
"I like this look a lot better, too." Perfect summary of how I feel when en femme. Congratulations on stepping out of your comfort zone and having a new experience. Great look in your avatar. Love the thought process you when through. Can totally relate to finding excuses not to do something, and then discovering better reasons to move ahead. Great choice of who to trust at checkout. Enjoy your extra en femme time while your SO is away.

Hugs,
Lauren

kimdl93
08-04-2014, 09:09 PM
I can see why. I have no idea what your ID pics look like but your avi pic is lovely.

Nadya
08-04-2014, 09:42 PM
Yay for a positive experience! I'm on the verge of spending some time out in public too, I just need to get comfortable with the idea of seeing neighbors and such dressed as a woman.

LeslieSD
08-05-2014, 12:15 AM
Thanks for the kind words, people. I am really moved.

The avatar picture are taken with well controlled situation, fresh makeup, best lighting, etc. I wish I could look like that all the time. Indeed, I have been working on my makeups lately, to see what can be reduced. They say in makeup "less is more". I am working on reducing my makeup routines to see where I can reach that "not trying" look every woman has mastered.

Georgia_Maine
08-05-2014, 09:28 AM
I don't know about your location, but here in Denver Costco also accepts their company issued American Express card, with a Costco logo on the back, as membership id. It doesn't have a photo.

Marcelle
08-05-2014, 09:38 AM
Hi Leslie,

Cute story. I go to COSTCO quite often dressed. Only had one glitch with a young male who wanted another piece of ID when I entered.

Hugs

Isha

flatlander_48
08-05-2014, 09:46 AM
Dana, Costco is actually a great store. They only ask for id b/c they are a membership store, but in all other respects they are fabulous. Great products, good prices and an extremely progressive store. The CEI takes a relatively modest pay check and employees are treated very well with an extremely open minded and liberal hiring policy. Costco is a poster child for how good citizen businesses shoyld be run, at least inmy opinion. I never mind spending my dollars there, and I spend way too many...lol

I started going to CostCo when I lived in Taiwan. In my estimation, the quality of their meats and sea food was consistently better than other places. I would continue here at home, but there isn't one that is remotely close.

When I go to Costco, which is not very often, I borrow the corporate card, and pay with cash. Not that ID would be a problem as I'm not even thinking of "passing"

Costco and Sams are both membership stores, but they do not have similar reputations. I would not expect the staff at Sams to be as focused on their jobs, whereas all the Costco people I have dealt with are pretty much always on the ball. That's what happens when you pay a good wage and treat the staff right, they work to stay there!

Agreed. The operating philosophies are very different. CostCo is the leader conceptually and probably still financially. Let's hope that AMEX doesn't screw them up.

GailNightshade
08-05-2014, 01:34 PM
Leslie-

Good job and nice complement. Just FYI Costco will issue you an ID with your fem picture. I have two cards, one male, and one female. I told them what I wanted and they were happy to do it.

This. This just made my whole year

ArleneRaquel
08-05-2014, 01:36 PM
Leslie,
Thank you for posting a great experience. It really made me feel good.

Katey888
08-05-2014, 01:48 PM
Great experience Leslie.. :)

Great tip about choosing the right checkout too - but you still need to have the look to back it up, and I think you have that... :cheer:

Katey x

Carol Elizabeth
08-06-2014, 08:22 AM
Not as an advertisement for Sam's Club, but rather for information only; Sam's now issues a Master Card and use it a the Identification Card to shop there. There is no member picture on the Master Card, so it may just be a matter of time before I try using it in drag.

Carolina
08-06-2014, 08:51 AM
Fantastic story! No matter what, lighting, make-up, whatever you did for your avatar pic, it does look you have the looks!
Without your great looks I go shopping as a man for all my women's clothing. Never had a problem, but obviously never had such a great story as yours!!
Thanks for sharing!

Andrea Payer
08-06-2014, 09:37 AM
your look works totally for me too, leslie :o

i wished there was a costco in austria

Beverley Sims
08-08-2014, 03:45 AM
Costco isn't all that bad, if you are from another state, visiting, they treat you like an import and give you guest free status.
Works for me.