PDA

View Full Version : Vacation ideas

KC Samanatha
08-07-2014, 10:43 AM
My SO and I are looking to go on a vacation this winter to a local that is much warmer then the Midwest US in January.
Thinking of the Florida Keys or a cruise ship.
Anyone out there had issues with dressing while on vacations?
Thoughts on Florida Keys and how TG Friendly they are?
This might be my first time out in public too, so scared and excited for the trip.
Thanks
Samantha

Sarasometimes
08-07-2014, 11:09 AM
Don't know about either the keys or a cruise but here is my two cents. A cruise will depend on who happens to book on the same ship as you and their way of interacting. The keys give you more room to move about. I think if given your options I would consider a larger city maybe like Charleston SC, Similar cities in FL maybe. Also I would strongly recommend that you try to go public many times before this trip to make it where you will be feeling comfortable out and about. Get your dressing routine down as far as makeup, hair removal, any need for spray tanning, tucking... so you can enjoy the sights and sounds. Since your wife is OK with this trip travel a bit away from home and get out there to work out the bugs. She can help you with movement/deportment and mannerisms, restroom use...
Getting ready could be as good as the trip itself. I'm oozing with envy as I write this post.

Phillypa
08-07-2014, 11:13 AM
Hi,
Been to the Keys twice and it would be a great place to get ur feet wet:-)
Hugs
Ash

KC Samanatha
08-07-2014, 11:16 AM
Good thoughts Sara, I will work on getting out more here in the Midwest first. Really hadn't thought about going out here first, but probably better here to start with then be able to "Strut" my stuff which ever way we go.

GailNightshade
08-07-2014, 11:23 AM
Florida in January is still a bit too cold to get in the water.
A cruise to the Bahamas maybe?

prettytoes
08-07-2014, 11:51 AM
From what I saw when I was in Key West, it is pretty much a "anything goes" kind of place. Lot's of great bars. You wouldn't have any problems at all there!

CynthiaD
08-07-2014, 12:12 PM
I'd go for Key West or the Bahamas myself.

Persephone
08-07-2014, 12:19 PM
Samantha,

I'm an FFG, Former Florida Girl, grew up there, and the Keys are pretty much known for being tolerant.

If your trip might include your first time out in public then I would kinda suggest against a cruise unless it is a CD/TG cruise. Most of us are pretty nervous on our first time and, frankly, can often be easily read because of that and because we usually don't quite have the rythhym of being a woman yet. You're knda trapped on a cruise ship with the same people and that can make you even more uncomfortable.

So, for a first time I suggest places and events where you can move around if you feel uncomfortable - maybe a road trip to several places in Florida, for example. If you don't want to drive all the way you can explore bigger resort areas, like Fort Lauderdale or Orlando, or rent cars to travel between places.

Just my opinion, of course, but I think you will be most comfortable when you give yourself and your spouse the most options.

Hugs,
Persephone.

Adriana Moretti
08-07-2014, 08:16 PM
from what i hear...and read...the keys are very friendly.....i too am looking down there....at some of the gay resorts...not sure thats the kinda place you wanna take wifey....but overall i hear it is a very friendly place....i also heard of an all cd cruise that takes place once a year...i wonder if thats going on this winter

Kristine_NEPA
08-07-2014, 08:24 PM
I know its not the best location in January but in the summer months rehobeth beach, Delaware is the place to be!

RADER
08-07-2014, 08:37 PM
Just something to remember about Florida; You are not the highest member of the food chain.
Alligators will eat you, Snakes will eat you, Sharks will eat you, and that is not enough, the
Ground can eat you.
So I know it is cold, but Northern Illinois is great for winter. There is something Soul Searching
about -10 degrees; It kills off all the vermin. LOL
Rader

Edyta_C
08-07-2014, 08:42 PM
I think you will find Key West lovely. There is a large gay community and some transfolk also. Most of the places are generally accepting.

Cruises depend highly on what crowd is booked. A cruise with other CD/transfolk might work but most cruises might present some problems.

Edy

Sometimes Steffi
08-07-2014, 09:31 PM
What about the left coast? San Francisco, LA or San Diego. San Francisco won't be very warm, but it will be much warmer than Kansas in the winter. And yes, I've been to all four places in the winter.

Beverley Sims
08-08-2014, 02:27 AM
Florida Keys is like another world and it is always summer. :)