PDA

View Full Version : Psychological effects of HRT

Diana Bain
08-11-2014, 01:44 PM
In the final few weeks before I start my transition (waiting for the results of the blood work). Next appointment is September 8th, that could be the date I've waited for all my life. So excited. I've read all I can on the physical changes that I can expect...my question is: What psychological effects can I expect?

whowhatwhen
08-11-2014, 01:51 PM
For me the emotional highs are higher and the lows are lower with the range in between being much more vast, however the emotional triggers remained exactly the same.

Last week my doctor said I was acting lighter and happier so I guess that's another benefit I didn't even see.
:)

Sandra
08-11-2014, 01:52 PM
Well one main one for Nigella is it made her so laid back she's practically horizontal, I kid you not everything now can wait for tomorrow, tomorrow comes and it can still wait. lol

I'll let her answer the rest herself.

Jorja
08-11-2014, 02:15 PM
The psychological effect can be all over the map. We are all different and the effects of HRT can be different for all of us. Do expect you emotions to change. Always carry a handkerchief in your purse because the waterworks will more than likely be turned on high.

Kimberly Kael
08-11-2014, 02:24 PM
I suspect it's hard for most of us to separate the actual from perceived effects of deciding to start HRT, not to mention everything else we tend to have going on in our lives around transition. As far as I can tell the changes are mostly emotional with no impact on my ability to reason, solve problems, or read maps. ;-)

I feel much more immersed in my emotions, less able or inclined to hold them at arms length. In that respect it reminds me of the impact the world had on me in my early school years. Thankfully, I've also lost that angry, competitive edge that I associate with testosterone. I still feel driven to accomplish goals, but I'm a better collaborator and find it more instinctive to support others instead of feeling threatened by them. I wasted a lot of time and energy fighting that anger response pre-HRT, so I don't miss it at all.

JohnH
08-11-2014, 04:23 PM
Kimberly expresses my feelings very well as follows:

Thankfully, I've also lost that angry, competitive edge that I associate with testosterone. I still feel driven to accomplish goals, but I'm a better collaborator and find it more instinctive to support others instead of feeling threatened by them. I wasted a lot of time and energy fighting that anger response pre-HRT, so I don't miss it at all.

However, I guess I respond a bit differently with my emotions. I'm actually more able to examine my thoughts and feelings more objectively than before. But most of all I don't have the roller coaster effects of being on top of the world followed more than often with crushing depression. That seems to be the opposite from "WhoWhatWhen"'s experience.

My wife has told me she really prefers me on HRT. She told me before I went on HRT she was contemplating leaving me.

Johanna Anna

Angela Campbell
08-11-2014, 04:38 PM
I guess you will find out. Expect nothing and then be surprised at what you get. For me it happened very slowly. It is like my emotions were asleep for most of my life and somehow just woke up. Then again with all the other changes in my life for the last year or so it is just another part of the growth.

Then again there is much less aggression, I do not get as angry when driving, or when in front of really stupid people, and like Sandra said about Nigella, laid back is much more prominent then before.

I also seem to smile a lot more than I used to, but I doubt if the hormones get all of the credit for that.

LeaP
08-11-2014, 05:23 PM
I really like both Kimberly's and Angela's responses.

I could easily have written Kimberly's second paragraph and, in fact, I usually describe my state of mind as a return to how I perceived it in childhood. Anger (and rage) are gone. I find that not holding my emotions away, however, does affect my thinking and decision making. This was a longer-term affect, though.

I definitely attribute the smiling to hormones, Angela! It still amazes me that people smile at me in turn. This coming from someone who has been stopped on the street in years past - by complete strangers - asking why I was so angry.

There is a possibility that HRT will not agree with you. If you find yourself confused, out of sorts, unable to concentrate, etc., get back to your therapist and doctor asap. People describe reactions in different ways. Keeping a record of how you feel and react for a while is a good idea.

Leah Lynn
08-11-2014, 08:27 PM
Back in the Man Days, I thought I was emotionless, stone cold. Therapy tought me that I was blocking anything that didn't portray the tough guy image. After accepting who I am, then starting hrt, my emotions came flooding out. At the possibility of a friend moving away, I cried for three days. I have these things under control, or at least they have settled down now, but I do react to movies and such much easier. Before, I would make a snap judgement and stick to it; now, I tend to vacillate. I'm much calmer, except for idiot drivers. My only downside is being a bit depressed by living alone, I'm a widower, and no hope of finding someone to share life with...

Hugs,

Leah

samantha rogers
08-12-2014, 10:55 AM
After six months, as others have said, the emotions do run back and forth with ease as the mood swings like a pendulum. Highs are higher, lows are lower. Rainy days are sometimes tough. Yes, laid back with a tendency to procrastinate...lol. Much less aggression or competitiveness. Overall, I like myself much better.

becky77
08-12-2014, 11:48 AM
No more road rage! I'm happy to let them go and I have turned into a more careful driver because of it. I'm no longer in such a rush, before I was always trying to get somewhere, now i'm more content where ever I am. So way calmer!
I'm more sociable but thats also an effect of being my self combined with Hormones.

The competitive thing is also true, I feel I have nothing to prove and i'm not all hung up on what over people think. Transferred that to new hang ups though lol.

I don't think I am any more emotional, but i'm not able to control it anymore or I don't feel the need to control it. Not sure which but the emotions are better able to escape now. I have had some Hormonial moments but they are rare, I think i'm pretty balanced way more than before.

I have become a little more forgetful, not sure if thats the hormones or just that I have so much more on my mind right now.

whowhatwhen
08-12-2014, 10:02 PM
There is a possibility that HRT will not agree with you. If you find yourself confused, out of sorts, unable to concentrate, etc., get back to your therapist and doctor asap. People describe reactions in different ways. Keeping a record of how you feel and react for a while is a good idea.

Just as an addition to this, anti-androgens can be rough on the body in terms of side effects even to GGs who take them.
I'll just suggest doing thorough examinations of your thoughts and feelings during that time.

Good luck!