PDA

View Full Version : Exercises to strengthen ankles for heels.

CarrieFan512
08-14-2014, 09:45 PM
Hello everyone what are some good exercises I can do to strengthen my ankles for wearing 5-6" heels. Every time I practice walking in them my ankles are too shaky.

Nikki A.
08-14-2014, 10:20 PM
try wearing a lower heel that will strengthen your ankles

Candice Mae
08-14-2014, 10:33 PM
Is there really a need for 5-6 heels? I'm comfortable and confident in my 4 inch heels all day, and I find the platforms to be tacky.

Wildaboutheels
08-14-2014, 10:52 PM
Simple. Hands down, Inline skating. Not to mention what it can do for legs and glutes.

But DON'T be a Dumbazz and skate w/o a helmet and don't think you can get a decent pair for 30 or 40 bucks.

docrobbysherry
08-14-2014, 11:55 PM
Ankles? I never have ankle issues.

But, if I can't stride safely across the room in my 5" heels, I don't wear them out for the evening. My foot issues after a nite out is nearly always sore toes!

I stay away from platforms whenever possible. Besides making my feet look gargantuan, they r dangerous as heck to dance in!

mechamoose
08-15-2014, 01:47 AM
From a martial arts perspective, work what is weak.

Do 'lifts'. Focus on standing on your flats then going up as high as you can on to the balls of your feet. Lift, drop.. lift drop. Work in times where you lift and HOLD. 10 seconds, later 15, 20, a minute.

Do it on a pedestal or stair, a place where your 'flat' stage drops below 'normal'.

It is worth it for cute legs, sweetie!

- MM

Marcelle
08-15-2014, 03:26 AM
Well I don't wear that particular style of heel (5-6") but I do know that my ankles have become extremely strong from jumping rope. It has to do with the actual movement. I normally jump for about 40 - 50 minutes a day and it has worked wonders on my ankles and calves not to mention a very quick weight loss.

Hugs

Isha

mechamoose
08-15-2014, 04:03 AM
Jumping rope is great, but 'advanced'. (Unless you are a 7-year old!)

- MM

Kate Simmons
08-15-2014, 04:23 AM
You may want to start wearing a lower heel, gain experience and work your way up. All-in-all I've found club dancing helps tone my ankles and my whole body as it is basically aerobics. I've also recently instituted whole body isometrics to keep my muscles toned and feel better generally.Not too bad for an old geezer really.;):battingeyelashes::)

Marcelle
08-15-2014, 04:50 AM
Jumping rope is great, but 'advanced'. (Unless you are a 7-year old!)

- MM

LOL . . . Yeah I get a few looks at the gym from all those military types in my pigtails, dress, ankle socks and Mary Janes :)

Hugs

Isha

mechamoose
08-15-2014, 05:19 AM
Are you doing jump-rope songs at the same time?

(and you would look super-cute dressed up that way)

josrphine
08-15-2014, 07:19 AM
Hi Carrie, I don't know how tall you are or your weight, but 5 an 6 inch heels wow. Start with 2 or 3 an work your way up, that will help. Also you will find that after a while you will go back, good luck.

Emi_
08-15-2014, 07:58 AM
Just let me Google that for ya:

How To Exercise For Wearing High Heels (http://youtu.be/G8I-ugsNr24)

"Looking for a tutorial on How To Exercise For Wearing High Heels? This invaluable bite-size tutorial explains accurately how it's done, and will help you get good."

HelenR2
08-22-2014, 02:21 PM
Lol. I tried to watch that video but couldn't take my eyes off her lovely face

BLUE ORCHID
08-22-2014, 02:37 PM
Hi Carrie, Practice makes perfect .

lexivanderpump
08-22-2014, 03:01 PM
For me the best exercise was to walk around in 4 inch heels for about 2 months. Now I comfortably walk around in 7 inch heels. Looking forward to walking in 9 or 10 inch heels

Love,
Lexi V.

Alice Torn
08-22-2014, 04:44 PM
Ice skating, too . I used to go ice skating farly often, even bought some new skates, but drifted away from it. Mostl;y because of the distance to drive, my old car, and now on a low fixed income. But, when i skated about once a week, my ankles were definitely getting stronger.

Sometimes Steffi
08-22-2014, 08:40 PM
Heel lifts. Stand flat, lift your heels, standing on your toes. 3 reps of 10 each
Toe lifts. Stand flat, lift your toes standing back on your heels. 3 reps of 10 each
Ankle twist. Wrap an exercise band around your foot, tying the other end to a sofa, or something. Turn ankles away from sofa. repeat 3 reps 10 each, both ankles, both directions.

MelanieAnne
08-22-2014, 08:56 PM
It takes a while to get used to heels. Mens shoes are basically flat on the inside. Womens heels have a sort of S curve to them, which tends to bend your foot. Besides your ankles, you should just sit around in heels for a few hours every day if possible to get your feet shaped and accustomed for womens shoes. Also, wear mid heels 3 inch or less for going out and walking, and save the 5 and 6 inch stilletos for the photos.

JoannaCD
08-22-2014, 09:05 PM
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?217465-Interesting-article-for-heel-wearers&p=3580239&viewfull=1#post3580239

CarrieFan512
08-22-2014, 09:55 PM
Great info. Thank u everyone :)

SO1Adam12
08-22-2014, 10:18 PM
Walking in heels is less about ankle strength and more about your center of gravity. For men this is typically middle/upper torso - they lead with their shoulders. For women it is middle/lower torso, we lead with our hips.

My suggestion (having to teach my daughter to wear heels for her prom after many years in cleats) was to shift your weight onto your lower torso. It will take practice, but put your shoulders back and let your butt feel the weight. You legs should automatically adjust and you should feel your upper thighs tighten up. This automatically changes your balance. Don't try to walk on your toes, women who are comfortable in heels actually walk in a hell to toe roll.

I always suggest wedges first with a good ankle strap even for GG's who say they can't walk in heels. They give both balance and there is no concern about slipping out at the heel.