PDA

View Full Version : Cross-dressing at what cost?

KittyD
08-17-2014, 12:38 PM
From me cross-dressing isn't a sexual thing...!
Ok may be there is a little bit of heat, but I'm a man and if your a man that can shapeshift and turn
yourself into what you perceive to be a reasonable looking female there is going to be a certain about
of blood pumping through you viens if you get my drift. :heehee:
"Please note I was using myself as an example"

But 90% of it for me is the artistry and the skill of transforming oneself from one gender to the other.
Which is where the cost factor comes into play:
Makeup - Outfits - Shoes - Wigs - Underwear - Flase Boobs - Eyelashes - Pantyhose - Nails
Its an endless list of goodies, but at what cost?

I would dare say this year alone I've spent £700 - $1285 Dollars give or take.
So by the end of the year I'm going to be looking at £1250 - $2086
Pretty scary when you think about it, when your buying clothes for the both of you...!

Q: What's your limit if indeed you have one?
Q: How much do you think you spend a year?
Q: And how much do you spend on him?

Thanks for any comments, I'll look forward to reading about your purse strings :)
KD

Katey888
08-17-2014, 02:37 PM
Kitty - while motivations (whatever they are and seemingly quite variable for many folk here) make this need for me something much more than a 'hobby' - I think you need to approach it in the same way... particularly for us closeted girls, shopping at Harvey Nicks is NOT a frequent occurrence in my household, for either me or the wife... :)

I'd agree with you regarding the artistry and skill needed - a little dexterity and artistic ability can go a long way with makeup, but you still need to buy it, and while I won't buy the cheapest available, there are mid-priced products that offer good value and eBay continues to offer the odd bargain... (sometimes very odd). I'm very much a M&S girl when it comes to undies - maybe La Senza.. and makeup and undies are the things I do NOT intend to get secondhand... :eek: Oh - and jewellery as well, but there's some great value stuff available from China...

On the other hand, eBay and charity (thrift) shops can offer great opportunities for bargains - if you're happy taking a chance on a pre-owned piece of apparel... but you have to be picky and careful.

A1: I don't have a preset limit, but I don't go overboard (or out - so that helps.. ;))
A2: Estimate about £400-500 ($700-800) per year... but I'd dip into the slush fund if I found a pair of shoes or boots I really had to have...
A3: On clothes - less, but approaching that...

My purse strings are drawn quite tight at the moment... :)

Katey x

Shelly Preston
08-17-2014, 02:57 PM
I think being careful in your choices can reduce how much you spend.

Some outfits can seem timeless, like the little black dress. So it may be worth going to the extra expense as you can use it when the right occasion arises.

I am not a person who counts how much I spend but I am careful not to go mad.

My last Lipstick cost me £ 25 or $ 41 from Dior.

We all have to have some luxuries :)

Kate Simmons
08-17-2014, 02:58 PM
I guess it would mostly depend on if you get the ROI (return on investment) you were expecting when you expended your resources. in most cases the result can't be justified in dollars and cents or Euros but in the amount of satisfaction it provides and that can be priceless.:battingeyelashes::)

Angie G
08-17-2014, 03:05 PM
I dont have a limit as I only spend a few hundred dollorsa year on angie. And not that much on my man self.:hugs:
Angie

AllieSF
08-17-2014, 03:13 PM
I don't have a monetary limit because a grand majority of what I buy is from thrift/second hand stores, or recently, off of eBay. There is no doubt that I spend too much. As those of us that splurge on whatever, we always have some types of justifications that actually have some or a lot of truth to them. Then, we also have those useless reasons too! My logical reasoning is that since I started crossdressing in late 2006, almost 8 years ago from zero, I am still learning, just like a young girl. I am approaching this with an adult mind and am consciously and pro-actively learning, i.e. maybe and hopefully learning quicker. That being said, my experience is to learn about clothing and accessories, sizing, fabrics, shapes and styles, how something hangs and when is tight fitting too tight fitting in order to consistently and economically put together great outfits and build a very workable wardrobe. I am learning when it is good to wear one style versus another and how to comfortable and correctly accessorize it with jewelry, shoes, purse, coat, jacket or sweater, etc.

An example might be trying to buy and wear a sun dress, which I have been doing all this summer. If I am lucky, I find the perfect dress right away. But my luck being what it is, that does not happen often enough! So, I buy, try on and say to my self, "No, this one does not work." Then I may go out and try to find another sun dress with wide or skinny straps, longer or shorter to keep trying as I look for that one style, fabric, brand, fit and look that actually works for my eyes. So, for us wannabe's our learning experience is all on us, meaning that we have to pay for our experiments, and keep trying until we give up or have success. A normal young girl grows up with parental and maybe even sibling support and can experiment at home and even at friends houses at little or no cost. Anyway, that is my good excuse and I am sticking with it! Good luck and have fun experimenting. I know that I do.

abby054
08-17-2014, 03:32 PM
A few years ago, I read a CD's website where she said bluntly that this can be an expensive hobby. She stated that if I am not prepared to spend US$1000-3000 per year, it may be wise to do something else with my time and money. I thought that was a lot of money and I still do, but since reading that, I have averaged in the low end of that range annually. It varies with activity level. Some years with a lot of opportunity and activity, like 2010, I spent above the middle of that range, but last year, with other things demanding my attention, I spent about US$600. I do put a loose limit on it and I become really careful when near that limit. I know from experience that this can get out of control financially without care and attention.

I have purged only once, in 1981, during my first year of dressing to go out and about. I tallied up the cost and noted to self that this was too expensive to repeat. And I haven't.

Candice Mae
08-17-2014, 04:11 PM
I just spent a little under $200 for four bras, VS is expensive but when you need to wear a bra there isn't any comparison.

I haven't bought any guy stuff since before Christmas, we'll if you don't count face shaving supplies.

bridget thronton
08-17-2014, 04:44 PM
I tend to shop and buy quality items on sale. I there is something I really want I save for it and buy it on discount or not. I do love to shop though.

mariehart
08-17-2014, 05:32 PM
I absolutely never account for any amount of money I've spent on anything. Never mind clothes. It's not that I don't appreciate money. I do but if I knew how much I spent on anything it would freak me out.

All I know is that I spent a fortune.

That gets tricky come tax return time!

typhoidmary
08-17-2014, 05:44 PM
i spend less than £100 a month, I try and only buy one item of clothing and any makeup i'm running out of. I'm on minimum wage working at a café so I have to be careful, would be so easy to blow my month's wages online :D

Eryn
08-17-2014, 06:34 PM

I don't have a specific limit, but at the same time I am motivated to keep spending reasonable. I shop Kohls and Macy's, not Nieman Marcus.

I intentionally don't calculate it. My biggest expense is electrolysis which isn't usual for CDers. Clothing probably runs 50-150 per month. The social activities in which Eryn participates add a couple of hundred per month. Can't just dress Eryn up and expect her to stay at home!

Spending on my male self? Pretty little, considering that I wear female clothes most of the time even in male mode. Most of my social life is in female mode, but I do occasionally socialize with my male-mode friends and colleagues.

Another way to consider expenses is to think of what other avocations might cost. Want to ride a motorcycle across the country? A Harley can cost $23,000 without riding gear. Want to go fishing? A bass boat runs $30,000-75,000 and a fishing trip to Alaska might cost $2500 for a week plus travel.

Ashley Wray
08-17-2014, 07:20 PM
I don't have a limit set just buy when I can depending on what I need. I really haven't added it up but know that I have thought a few times its really adding up. I definently spend more on ashley than my guy self these days just this weekend I'm at over a 100 on ashley and really didn't buy anything big just little things but it adds up quick!

susan54
08-17-2014, 07:53 PM
I rather like good quality clothes for all situations, but because there is less variety of male clothing I spend less on that - around £1000 a year. About 20 years ago I got my style analysed in both male and female versions which has almost eliminated the failed experiement, and both wardrobes absolutely work - I get a LOT of compliments. The last year I costed the female clothes (not counting tights make up and underwear) I spent £7000. I have around 1000 skirts and 650 dresses (all catalogued - that is part of the fun for me). In my defence I spend most of my time in these clothes and I go out in them, though the fun of that is lessening for some reason. I only wear the make up and wig to go out. I do buy clothes in the cheaper shops and in charity shops but I have my favourite haunts where I know how to hit their sales and I get5 stunning bargains. I am warmly welcomed however I am dressed - and though I try to act the part I do not hide my true gender. I almost never pay full price for anything costing over £20. I recently bought a designer silk skirt/top/jacket outfit reduced from £1150 to £50 in two of my main colours in cascading silk - after trying it on as a man. Though I do not do this for sexual reasons or for identity issues I get a lot of pleasure from wearing this stuff. I would actually be more willing to admit that I wore these clothes than how much I spend on them, even though I can afford it. I do not view wearing womenswear as a a problem but there might be a bit of an issue about the amount of clothes I buy. As has already been said people spend a lot on their hobby - but I have more than one hobby!

I know that I now have enough clothes for every possible situation, and plan to cut down the spending, but a little bit of variety is required in life.

BLUE ORCHID
08-17-2014, 08:58 PM
Hi Kitty, Now days I'm pretty much just replacing pantyhose and makeup as needed
with three closets full and 130+ pairs of shoes I have so many choices of combinations.
Plus all the wigs and Jewelery.

I really don't want to even try to think what this program has cost me over the years
I know that it's into the five figure range.

Adriana Moretti
08-17-2014, 10:06 PM
I dont have a limit...I just try to be smart and buy what I need, and clothing wise I make SURE I really REALLY want it, I never buy on impulse.

I average probably around 2400 a year 200 a month...That does not include my hotels and bar tabs at cd events etc. Or my drugstore bill...which must be another 2400 a year...i seem to drop 60 bucks everytime I step into a drugstore.

If I'm lucky 200 bucks.

I cut out going to lots of baseball and football games, fancy dinners...ohh...and dating women...that saved me a bundle too.

Eryn
08-17-2014, 10:48 PM
...fancy dinners...ohh...and dating women...that saved me a bundle too.

Didn't work for me as I to to a lot more fancy dinners dressed than I ever did in drab. :)

Donnagirl
08-17-2014, 10:54 PM
Good grief, I've spent hundreds just on a pair of boots. But that is starting to pale into insignificance now that the SO has accepted and befriended Donna. She is spending a small fortune. (I'm not complaining... It's just a little overwhelming.)

But as has been said previously, what price happiness. Guess we are lucky to have a little disposable income!!

Anna H
08-17-2014, 11:20 PM
If i like something, i'll figure out how to get it....lol!

Luckily, I don't need stuff that costs $$$$$$$. I like to change
too often to have a fortune tied up in one thing.

Guy...he has to eat. But he knows to stay trim...so that's cheap!

:)

Alice Torn
08-18-2014, 12:16 AM
Kitty, You are so right, about 90% ofit being art. Creative art, transforming into a semblance of an attractive womean, which under all the things, is not one. I spend far less now, as i am on a fixed low income, and my bloody car sucks most of my time and money, with constant electrical woes. I guess I spend around $140 a year.

GenieGirl
08-18-2014, 12:29 AM
No real set limit. I have limits on single item purchases ie no more than $50 for a pair of shoes.
I spend about $100-150 a month on makeup, clothes, shoes, etc. Probably about another $150 a month going out as Ginger ie dinner, clubbing, movies, traveling, going to events etc.

All in all about $1200-$1800 a year in girl accessories. Another $1800 a year having fun as a girl.

My guy side gets clothes only if he really needs omething maybe $250 a year in clothes etc. He goes out about the same amount as Ginger so $1800 a year having fun as a guy.

Clodagh
08-18-2014, 11:13 AM
Over the past 7 years that i have been doing this, I'd say I have spent on average about 120-130 euro per year. I have gone long periods without spending anything. this year I have probably spent more than ever.

Of course there is the cost of petrols for all my trips in the car. That is probably the biggest cost.

Cheryl T
08-18-2014, 11:29 AM
My limit? Well, I don't think of it as a limit. If I'm shopping and see a bargain I'll get it. I'm lucky enough to be able to afford whatever it is I may want to buy, but in all aspects of my life I'm frugal. I don't just run out and buy something most of the time.
In a year I might spend $500 unless there's a big ticket item like a new wig or forms.
I don't spend a dime on him. He can buy his own stuff!

Rachael Leigh
08-18-2014, 12:02 PM
Me too I seem to look more of my dressing as an expression of art but yes there can be a sexual aspect. I in fact today was thinking about cost and wondered if I asked my non accepting wife could I have a clothes budget so I just dont spend wildly cause I do look for bargains but can still be pricey

Jaymees22
08-18-2014, 01:48 PM
I think I might need a limit, but right now I just try to get things on sale. I'm wearing a dress I bought today, the label said "Material Girl" for that alone I had to have it. Luckily it fits and feels good too.

If I consider my dressing therapy, can I get a tax deduction??

susannma
08-18-2014, 01:49 PM
Well, I dont dress very often, but guess like you I try to look as feminin as possible when dressing.

I have not set a limit for how much I can use, but on avrage I think I might spend somewhere between 500 - 1000 $ each year. But some years I dont spend anything, and other times I might spend much more.

I usually tend to plan, well in advance before shopping. So what I buy is not at random. I rather goes for a few quality items, rather than having lot of clothes to choose from.

I guess for him, I spend twice, maybe tree times the amount.

Allison Chaynes
08-18-2014, 02:44 PM
I can't say I have a budget. I don't usually wear makeup or wigs so those costs are low. Most of my expenses are clothing, a little on shoes, and most of it comes from thrift stores, Payless and Walmart, though I will occasionally spend a little at Lane Bryant, Catherine's, and Avenue. I have no idea how much I spend in a year. I'd guess I've spent about $500 this year.

Amanda L.
08-18-2014, 03:03 PM
I guess like most I spoil my girl self, she is so deserving of every cent I spend. My guy side? well he's happy with the minimalist approach.
I don't really cap my budget. If I see something I like I usually buy it but I am careful about splurging on big ticket items (shoes exempted)
As a guide then between $100 and $200 a month but that is usually online expenses so the incidentals such as makeup and bling accessories, which I can buy in a store, are extra.
I don't keep too tight a track, I don't want to really think about it. I have deprived myself for so long and I am now playing catch up.
Amanda

missVS
08-18-2014, 03:45 PM
I don't really budget my fem purchases and have lately gone overboard with makeup. I spend way more on fem stuff than male. This year I have spent at least $2000.00 or so on shoes,outfits, forms, gowns,stockings,jewelry, nail polish,lip stuff,eyeshadows, brushes, wigs etc. I hardly buy retail and do go to thrift shops and get mostly on Ebay. Just went to Sally beauty with my daughter and stuff adds up quick. I bought some nice nail base coat and my daughter commented she never uses that. Sometimes I think we crossdressers tend to go all out and overboard for the perfect look. I know I do. I do sell stuff I end up not wanting so I get some money back but end up buying more stuff wit that money.

CynthiaD
08-18-2014, 04:14 PM
I have a per-item limit, which has been gradually moving up as I try to improve my presentation. I used to have a $20 limit for dresses, and ended up with a few dresses that are only good for cleaning the garage.

I don't keep a running total, mainly because I see female clothing as a necessity rather than a frivolity. Whatever the cost, it's worth it.

suchacutie
08-18-2014, 04:46 PM
I tend to be frugal in both genders, and some items are shared by both genders, e.g. jeans, panties, many facial products, etc. When it comes to long-term items such as breastforms and wigs, I tend to buy at the higher end of the scale, so the year I bought both the cost was high that year (and will be this year as my current favorite wig is down for the count!). Outside of that I buy one or two outfits per year with the idea that they will last several years, and they have. So for items that are just for Tina, it's probably, on the average, $300-$400 per year.

Julie 29
08-18-2014, 06:45 PM
I most likely spend around $100 a month give or take. I'm pretty good at finding items that are on sale most of the time, which certainly helps.

Take care, Julie

kimdl93
08-18-2014, 07:57 PM
Oscar Wilde once commented on people who " ...knew the cost of everything, but the value of nothing." There's actually some sound economic basis for what he said. Cost isn't an adequate basis for determining whether anything is worthwhile. A bypass operation is expensive, but if you have a blocked artery and value your life, it may be well worth having. On a purely consumer level, alloy wheels aren't literally necessary, but if you prefer the appearance to steel rims and hubcaps, then the value of that appearance outweighs the cost.

So it is with CDing. If cost were the only consideration, we would all shop at goodwill and forgo quality wigs and makeup. Obviously, many of us value the experience of shopping, getting a makeover at MAC, or the appearance and feel of an high quality wig....and we have the financial means to afford it.

The question should not be, how much did you spend, but rather did you get what you paid for.

KittyD
08-19-2014, 01:26 PM
Thanking you all very much for taking the time to read the post and reply :)
WOW... I really enjoyed reading all your answers and there were some very funny replies :D
"He can buy his own clothes" LOL
Thanks again :)

KD ox

natcrys
08-19-2014, 01:43 PM
Being in science.. I have a relatively good income.. so I don't really have to worry about spending limits. At least for now.. one never knows in this economy..

Having said that.. I don't spend much on individual items apart from shoes and make-up. Once you have used quality foundations, powders and primers.. you don't want to go back. And walking in 4 or 5 inch high heels really goes easier if the shoes are made with care and attention.

However, dresses, skirts, tops and jeans.. I almost always buy them on sale.. and I can't remember an item costing more than 30-40 euros in the last few years. :)

If you want a number.. probably between 60 and 100 euros a month.. which is reasonable I'd say. Some people spend that going out during the weekends. :p