PDA

View Full Version : Owning It

Dani0948
08-17-2014, 02:53 PM
If you misssed my thread from yesterday - it got moved to clothing & beauty. Last week I tried to go to Goodwill and chickened out because I was wearing a dress & heels. I thought I was too overdressd to blend. So I stopped at Walmart yesterday and picked up a pair of girl jeans. Today I was determined to go back to Goodwill and get a few things. I wore my new jeans, wig makeup etc and drove over. I got out of the car and walked straight to the women's shirt rack. I really didn't look directly at other customers Pretty sure I was clocked, but like many here have said - No pitchforks or burning brands. I found a couple blouses and walked back to the fitting room. The lady asked if i wanted to try them on. I said "yes" in a quiet voice. As she unlocked the door she said "good luck". It must have worked because both blouses fit nicely. After changing back to my jeans I exited the fitting room and headed for the dress rack. I found a dress, tried it on and headed for the checkout.The casier was polite and even asked if I wanted to join the loyalty club. I decined and left. Enclosed is a pic of the dress.

I guess I'm getting braver.

Angie G
08-17-2014, 03:15 PM
Good for you Dani I shop at a few g.w. shops I'v even tryed a few thing on. I just got a brand new dress tags still on it and two really cuit skirts. A $40 dress and tow skirts $9.:hugs:
Angie
PS That dress look great on you hun.

bridget thronton
08-17-2014, 04:55 PM
Well done

Vickie_CDTV
08-17-2014, 04:59 PM
I think you would have been ok in a dress there (I have seen women in summery dresses there, sometimes even in more formal attire), but I would wear a longer dress. You have beautiful long legs and something above the knee might draw attention (even if it is for positive reasons.)

6inchheels
08-17-2014, 06:46 PM
First off, congratulations. That's a great story. Second, the Goodwill was and is the closest I've ever been to going out at all. I was in full guy mode but tried on 3 dresses and then bought one. I think I was able to do it because I always figured it was reasonably deniable that I was buying a dress because I like to wear dresses. I almost chickened out when I noticed that I knew the guy at the counter. He is a super nice guy and openly homosexual as well so I guessed that he would be accepting. As previously stated, no mobs or torches. Haha :)

Nikki A.
08-17-2014, 07:11 PM
Good for you, some nice deals can be found.
I know it's silly but I'll go shopping en femme in stores and malls but I can find the nerve to go to a Goodwill or Salvo (Salvation Army). But in drab I've shopped at Salvo and gone through the men's & women's dept

mechamoose
08-17-2014, 08:00 PM
'getting clocked' and getting told to sit in the penalty box are not the same thing, dear.

Ok, a mundane spots you as 'off gender'.. then what? What do they get to do, invalidate you? Pull your girl card?

F* no. Their opinion is valid, but it doesn't invalidate *yours*.

Rock it, honey. Don't you apologize to *anyone* for who you are!

- MM

Marcelle
08-17-2014, 09:00 PM
Hi Dani,

Congrats on your outing and of course your finds at goodwill.

Hugs

Isha

Anna H
08-17-2014, 09:32 PM
I Love that dress! Very Pretty! :)

Ms Deidre
08-18-2014, 06:32 AM
I have noticed more dresses on women this summer than I have in a long time. Dresses of all hem lengths are the fashion and I think women are enjoying showing their femininity again. Don't let a dress stop you from going anywhere you want. With that said jeans or a skirt and a button front blouse are definitely a lot easier in a fitting room! One doesn't have to completely undress to try something on. Just some ramblings from someone who has been out and about a long time.

BLUE ORCHID
08-18-2014, 06:42 AM
Hi Dani, Going to Goodwill is like going on a treasure hunt you just never know what you will find.
That's a cute little dress.

Eringirl
08-18-2014, 08:24 AM
Hi Dani: Good for you! Great feeling, isn't it?? I made an "unscheduled stop" at Value Village (similar to Goodwill here in Canada), it full guy mode. Perused the women's section for dresses (I am lacking in that department), but nothing caught my, but then didn't have a lot of time. Did find a great deal on a Tom Hilfiger Purse, a button down blouse and a belt. So not a total waste. No one batted an eye. In fact, two young men stopped me and asked for my opinion on a few sports jackets they were trying on - I don't know, maybe thought I was gay and assumed a "fashionista" ?? Anywho, I find most people have enough going on in their lives that they don't have time to care about what others are doing if benign.

Keep us posted on your future adventures!

Erin

Chari
08-18-2014, 12:56 PM
Continue moving in that positive direction Dani, and soon you will be so relaxed going out & about! BTW, adding a bright colorful belt or a fancy silk scarf to your new dress will give it a bit of a fashion kick! Enjoy.

suzanne
08-18-2014, 02:42 PM
Way to go! There is no substitute for shopping for yourself, and it makes no difference whether you are drab or femme. The immediate gratification of finding that perfect dress and having it at home that same day, coupled with knowing before committing to buy, that it looks and fits properly on you, is why brick and mortar stores will never be killed off by Amazon et al.

As your shopping experience grows, you will find that no one cares that you are a man trying on dresses. Not the SA's, not the female customers, not even the male customers. (You still have to decide for yourself how to deal with the people you know personally). In my experience, the SA's are not only helpful but supportive and sometimes even enthusiastic about helping you find a dress (or whatever) you will love. So go in confidence. We're all rooting for you, because each individual's success makes things better for us all.