PDA

View Full Version : Low dose HRT

(Sara)
08-17-2014, 07:30 PM
Hi everybody,

I am currently at a crossroads, I have looked into the gateways to transition but I am studying abroad for a year, therefore the NHS will not be an option for a long time. Ultimately, with much deliberation and reading of side-effects and potential harm, I feel I need to start self-medicating, and as it would not be monitored by a doctor. I would consider a lower dose than is usual starting at 1/4 dose, rising to 1/2 doses if no negative reactions are felt. I am looking for advice on whether this would be beneficial for me, though I am not currently looking at a full transition due to circumstances out of my control, I am quite sure of my dysphoria. My aim is to alleviate the negative feelings and feminize without major physical change (namely in the breast department), though a halting of further masculine development is much welcomed.

Would it be reasonable to assume this is possible? Has anybody else had similar experiences and could share?

Thank you!

P.S. I am well aware nobody is a doctor and advice is not gospel etc. but anything you feel can help would be great.

whowhatwhen
08-17-2014, 07:33 PM
Are you unable to get medical care where you're going?
It seems kinda dangerous imho to do it without getting regular bloodwork done.

Eryn
08-17-2014, 07:56 PM
What you suggest is rather dangerous as different people react differently to these medications. The HRT patient needs to have levels established through lab tests to ensure that effective dosages are achieved without going too high.

PretzelGirl
08-17-2014, 08:18 PM
Results are variable as everyone reacts differently. I think you will find that most here will tell you the only viable option is to use a doctor. Anything else risks your health and no one here should be telling you what will happen based on your plan.

(Sara)
08-17-2014, 08:21 PM
Thank you for your concern, I understand the danger without a doctor. I realise that, but I'm at a point now where I can't keep waiting (and ageing), treatment of this sort I don't believe will not be offered in my host country due to the briefness of the stay there not to mention language difficulties, conversations around my dysphoria would be difficult indeed. This leaves me with a issue, as said already.

My plan is too have very low doses in September, any negative reaction that is beyond realms of expectation result in cutting off HRT and waiting. Though, if all is as expected I will raise it over months and by August next year I'd like to be on a one half dose compared to guideline dosages. I am confident that over-dosing is not a possibility, but vigilance is key - anything unusual would be reported to a doctor and HRT stopped. I do not feel that would be a dangerous approach personally given the circumstances. Any critique of what I am thinking is most welcome though, being informed reduces the chance of something bad happening!

@Sue, I understand where you are coming from. Though without anybody giving advice about the plan, I'll be doing it anyway without much guidance, I do hope if there is any experience among people in the forum, positive or negative - sharing is caring, as the saying goes! :)

Angela Campbell
08-17-2014, 08:31 PM
If you really need treatment to the point of self medicating then it is enough of a problem to cancel the out of country studies and seek proper treatment. Hormones are not something to just try out. I advise to give up the trip or the hormones.

sandra-leigh
08-17-2014, 08:47 PM
Might we ask which country you will be in? There is a chance someone would have some information on how to find the treatment in that country.

(Sara)
08-17-2014, 08:59 PM
To fail university to undertake low dose HRT would do wonders for dysphoria (I hope) but I'm sure you understand, it is not an option. Both my education and my need for action in respect to my dysphoria are monumentally significant to my potential life outcomes. To match them up against each other is to match a immovable object against an unstoppable force, I'm sorry. I understand you all are saying no in reply to my asking if it would be beneficial for me, ultimately out of health concerns, and it is your right to advise and I appreciate that.

That being said, I have already been aware of those risks and a doctor would be the first place I go if I have any unusual effects (along with stopping treatment instantly). I know low dose HRT won't make me drop dead either, I feel I am addressing potential risk and safeguarding against significant harm. If there is more one can do to ensure safety while self-medicating, I'm all ears. :) Though I am hoping for anyone with experience of the low dose HRT effects (monitored or not monitored) and whether I am being realistic in what I aiming to get out of taking the risk I am looking to take.

@Sandra, I should have mentioned earlier! Yes, I'll be going to Spain.

LeaP
08-17-2014, 10:14 PM
To be blunt, you have no idea what risks you are assuming. You are not a statistical average, you're an individual. I was on low dose HRT for the first 18 months. I had both stellar results AND potassium problems.

Rianna Humble
08-18-2014, 01:15 AM
You have full access to medical facilities whilst in Spain and depending on where you are, there are plenty of doctors who speak enough English for you to do this under medical supervision. Unless you are studying to be an endocrinologist, you do not know what the side-effects are and some can only be prevented by regular blood analysis.

This thread is done.