PDA

View Full Version : Almost gone..

Jacqui
01-20-2006, 11:08 PM
Around Christmas, in anticipation of some relatives staying with us for a few days, I burned all of 'Jacqui's' pictures from my hard drive to a cd along with 70 pages of a "fictionmania-type" story that I had been writing over a period of several months. I checked the cd after burning to make sure that the files transferred and then deleted them from my hard drive. I put the cd in a cd-box and put it in an inconspicuous location.

The next day, I put in a blank cd and made a slide show with music of a recent vacation to give to my wife as a Christmas present. She loved it!

One week after Christmas, guests all gone, I wanted to put everything back on my hard-drive. I got the un-labeled "Jacqui" cd, put it in, and to my horror, there was absolutely nothing on the disc! All the pics and 70 pages of a story still in progress vanished!

OK, now I'm slightly devastated! Although the pictures were "the best of..," they weren't all that good and could be replaced with better pictures with the advice I get on this forum. But the story was another story! There were parts of it that I read and re-read and thought that were quite good. I would never be able to re-write the dialogue in the chapter in which "Jack had become Jacqui and dreamt that she had a lesbianic experience with ex-college friend Kim at 2:30am in the morning on the beach in LaJolla California!"

So for 3 weeks, I have been a little depressed, feeling that a part of me was lost forever.

Luckily, I had a thought (well, a good one!) and "google" came to the rescue. I searched for "CD Recovery" and found several free demo programs that I downloaded. I inserted each of 3 cd's (what I thought was the 'Jacqui' cd, the blank cd, and the slideshow.) Amazingly, on the slideshow cd, I saw the 'hidden' files of the pics and the story. I must have forgotten to "Close the Session" and then burned the slide show right over it.

None of the demos allowed for recovery, so I picked the cheapest one, paid for it on-line, got my 'key-code' and voila!..... It was nice to see the pics of 'Jacqui' again!
I don't know if the story will ever be finished, but it is a part of me and I'm glad I got it back.

To all those who have had problems with their spouses since the last time I posted, I realize the relative insignificance of my feelings during the last 4 weeks, and I wish you all the best in attaining positive outcomes.

Jacqui

uknowhoo
01-20-2006, 11:16 PM
Well, welcome back Jacqui.

I'm glad to hear of your good news. I know I'd've been more than "slightly devastated." All's well that ends well.

Hugs,

Tammi

susandrea
01-20-2006, 11:20 PM
Whew! :doh: :eek: :thumbsup: :clap: :D

xam
01-20-2006, 11:30 PM
actually when you delete your file from your hard drive, the files is still in there. Most operating system only delete the index/location of that file. you can try this program http://www.snapfiles.com/get/restoration.html and restore it to a different harddrive. Anyway your files are safely return!!

Jacqui
01-21-2006, 05:18 PM
Thanks Tammi and Susandrea.

Xam, it's good to know that when you delete files, they're still there. I also went to your web pages and to answer your question, "Yes, you ARE hot!"

Shelly Preston
01-21-2006, 05:39 PM
Hi Jaqui

I suggest that you use winzip or something similar.
This will allow you to compress the files and more importantly password protect them and encrypt files names.

you will have to start with an innocent file name that you have a reason to secure.

Hope this helps.

Jacqui
01-22-2006, 11:02 PM
Shelly, thanks for the tip. I will try to do as you suggest, but if I run into trouble, I hope you wouldn't mind if I pm'd you for assistance..

Thanks,
Jacqui