PDA

View Full Version : Outted by a 3 year old

JayeLefaye
09-02-2014, 08:47 PM
In response to another thread about "neighbors", I mentioned that I had planned to let mine know that they might be seeing me in a dress now and then. This, to me, seems a simple matter of courtesy, especially for the younger couple with three daughters under the age of 6. I figured if I'm right up front with them, then they can think what they want, but at least they'll have a chance to ask any questions.

So there I was inside the local gas station/convenience store today, with sandals and dark red toenails, when I ran into the mother and her three girls who were buying slushies. We said hi, chatted briefly about the weather, and I motioned for her and the girls to precede me to the checkout. As she was at the counter, the three year old looked down, looked up at her mother and said "Mister B. has red toenails". Her mother looked down, looked at her daughter with a bit of a smile, and said "Yes he does". She paid for the slushies, we exchanged pleasant goodbyes, and I was left wondering how their family dinner discussions were gonna progress.

Kids say the darndest things...

Jaye

Kate Simmons
09-02-2014, 09:05 PM
And we get outted by the darndest people. :heehee::)

JocelynRenee
09-02-2014, 09:17 PM
If only adults could hold on to a part of our childhood worldview...at 3 she (sadly) was already aware that painted toes on a boy are unusual, but happily she probably didn't care.

VAWyman
09-02-2014, 09:45 PM
I had a similar experience. I had my toenails pink with a little glitter and my 3 year old granddaughter said "Oh grandpa, pretty nails!" My wife (DADT) about came unglued.

Diane Smith
09-03-2014, 12:02 AM
The little girl was the first to mention it, but I'd argue that you actually outed yourself, by openly displaying your red toes in a public place. (Not that there's anything wrong with that!) I do hope it stimulated a conversation around the dinner table at your neighbor's house.

- Diane

Nicole Erin
09-03-2014, 12:13 AM
Yeah I bet they will be sitting there at dinner talking about Mr B's red toenails.
yeeeaahhh probably not.

JayeLefaye
09-03-2014, 06:23 AM
I agree Diane, I've been doing the red(or (or purple) toenails-sandals thing for a couple of months. Went grocery shopping the other day as a DID, and planned to have "The Chat" with the neighbors soon. And in all that time, she was the first one to say anything:-) I think it's great, especially if yu could have heard the innocent tone of her voice, and because it makes The Chat that much easier to have, since the door is already partway opened.

Jaye

Claire Cook
09-03-2014, 07:38 AM
Hi Jaye,

Yeah, kids do say the darndest things. Hopefully whatever conversations ensued will lead to a little girl's appreciation of other's lifestyles.

Krisi
09-03-2014, 07:44 AM
If you're walking around in sandals and red toenails, you've outed yourself. Many adults are too polite to say anything but young children haven't learned that yet.

Jamie001
09-03-2014, 10:11 AM
With all of the guys wearing colorful tattoos and earrings of all different types including the ones that stretch the earlobes out of shape, red toenails will not be a big deal. It is just another form of self expression.

Stephanie47
09-03-2014, 10:25 AM
Young kids have keen senses of observation. They're inquisitive. They take in everything. They have a tendency to blurt out the obvious. How they perceive the world around them is governed by the adults around them. In another household the discussion of Mr. B's nails may not be very enlightened. I've seen race hatred come out of the mouths of four years with great ease, mimicking mom and dad.

Tiffany Jane
09-03-2014, 10:36 AM
Do we ever really know our neighbors? I believe an open courtesy would be more acceptable than having an awkward moment if a neighbor knocked on the door and having Jaye answer. More guys paint their nails now and it is only our taught color bias that makes others think twice about it. I remember when pink shirts in school got me some teasing...darn it pink looks good on me.

Zylia
09-03-2014, 10:58 AM
I'd say you're outed by wearing sandals with painted toenails, but I guess that's a matter of perspective :D

Sarah21
09-03-2014, 05:01 PM
Thanks Zylia. I nearly choked on my coffee as I was reading your reply. Very funny and true.

Jaye - at least you dipped your toes in to how your neighbors will react, it doesn't sound like a bad reaction.

charlenesomeone
09-03-2014, 05:09 PM
Kids do notice a lot . But Mom seems to have been very nice about it.