PDA

View Full Version : Unique position - Companies Discrimination Policy

Megan G
09-03-2014, 06:23 PM
So,

I found myself in a very unique position today and actually got a little chuckle out of it. As I mentioned a while ago last fall I took a job with a company that was based in the United States that was expanding into Canada. I spent the winter working away from home as a project manger building solar farms. When I completed my project I was offered a promotion to "Director of Ontario Operations" and have been working from home for the past 2 months while we are waiting for new projects to start up.

I have been very busy while at home converting all the US company documents to better align with Canadian Laws, developing policies and procedures and networking with potential suppliers and customers. Well todays task was reviewing the "US Version" Employee handbook and making it better apply to the Canadian business.

At first I did not even think about me and looking to see if Gender Identity was covered, but once it dawned on me that I better look into it I noticed it was not specifically mentioned. It covered sexual orientation and the usual stuff (race, disability ect..) but gender identity was not mentioned anywhere.

So I looked up the Ontario Human rights code and sure enough it was there. Of course I copied it word for word into my employee handbook, just like the old saying goes....

gotta cover your a$$ :heehee:

Megan

VanTG
09-03-2014, 06:26 PM
Thats actually a little humorous, and very good. I was waiting for the negative part but seems like you fixed it. Need more Megan G's out there.

Tammy Lynn Tx
09-03-2014, 06:39 PM
And no one can say anything cause they told you to make sure everything was aligned with Canadian Law right? Good Job

Rogina B
09-03-2014, 10:13 PM
Good job!

Marleena
09-03-2014, 10:28 PM
Pretty cool when you can write your own policies!:)

Jorja
09-03-2014, 11:10 PM
I wasn't sure I should look when I saw "unique positions":)

I love writing my company policies.

1) Cannot have a problem with alternative lifestyles

2) No leather Chaps after 7am or before 5pm

3) With a concern for public decency, panties will be worn with micromini skirts at all times.

Andy66
09-03-2014, 11:24 PM
Good job, Megan! :thumbsup:

Angela Campbell
09-04-2014, 04:50 AM
3) With a concern for public decency, panties will be worn with micromini skirts at all times.

even the guys? could be interesting.....

Jorja
09-04-2014, 06:26 AM
Whats good for one is good for all.:)

kimdl93
09-04-2014, 06:53 AM
And if it ever comes up you can point it out in the company's own materials. Way to go!

Megan G
09-04-2014, 10:17 AM

even the guys? could be interesting.....

OH GOD I would hope not......:eek::doh:

Jorja
09-04-2014, 11:27 AM
If the guys want to wear micromini skirts, who am I to stop them? But, they will have panties on when on my dime.

Judith96a
09-04-2014, 12:01 PM

Does that mean that your employees have to wear micromini skirts at all times?

If so, do you need a computer programmer / engineer?

;) judy

Jorja
09-04-2014, 02:11 PM
Judy, Judy, Judy, what are your qualifications? ;)

Megan G
09-05-2014, 12:10 PM
Well as the age old saying goes..

Don't count your chickens before they hatch..

It looks like I just wrote a policy that will not apply to me with this company. I was just on a conference call with the CEO and COO of the company and unless they find a project in the next 4 weeks I am getting laid off...

Maybe this is just the push I needed to start living as me more often? To find work in a field that is not male dominated (construction). I don't know what the answers are to this but I do know that it pisses me off!!!

Megan

Angela Campbell
09-05-2014, 12:23 PM
If the guys want to wear micromini skirts, who am I to stop them? But, they will have panties on when on my dime.

Who's going to check?

PretzelGirl
09-05-2014, 06:44 PM
I am sorry to hear that Megan. I hope you find something before the month is out so you have no breaks in income.