PDA

View Full Version : The timie you bought your first ????

Paula_56
09-06-2014, 07:48 AM
We all started out “borrowing” our sisters and mothers clothes as we grew up struggling with the duality of ourselves. We depart from the designation of youthful curiosity and exploration when a spark inside of us calls out to us louder and louder. I’m speaking of that moment of self identity when you realize that you want your own clothes.

I was 22 and had just started my new job with a hi-tech company in New Jersey. There was a dress shop in town that I walked by each day during my lunch time walks. It was an old fashion kind of place that you don’t see any more locally own and operated.

It was the 80’s, so think “Designing Women” style dresses, (sigh). Well, there were all kinds in the window but one caught my eye, a blue print dress with a belted waist and lace collar. After several days I decide that I had to have it. As it was early October the Halloween excuse was perfect.

It took several days of trying to even go into the store. I have to laugh now like a secret agent I made sure none of my colleagues were out in the area I doubled back a couple of times in front of the store. Finally I opened the door and then a loud bell deliberately announced my arrival. Sheepishly I made my way toward the back of the store and a middle age lady looked over the rim of her glasses appraisingly.

My heart was pounding; my face was red as I stammered out a request for the dress in the window. She was very pleasant and settled me down. She took my measurements, determined I was a size 16, and pulled a similar dress in my size from the rack. She then proceeded to sell me an expensive bra and then girdle along with a pair of my first Hanes Silk Reflections the brand I still wear today.
Looking back I think she saw right thru me and was an expert saleswoman. I walked back to my car and hid my purchase watchfully as if I had just bought something illegal.

I never wore the dress outside my bedroom. The dress and foundations would be lost in one of the Great Purges of the 80’s. However an important step had been taken in my journey.

I had bought my first dress.

Kaze_
09-06-2014, 07:59 AM
I have yet to have bought anything in person, but I finally started ordering my own stuff online around a year ago.

I remember even being scared to go pick it up at the post office.

Paula_56
09-06-2014, 08:10 AM
I have yet to have bought anything in person, but I finally started ordering my own stuff online around a year ago.

I remember even being scared to go pick it up at the post office.

Don't be afraid! Remember these words "They're for me" and you will be amazing how freeing that is!

http://www.femulate.org/search?q=they%27re+for+me

JayeLefaye
09-06-2014, 08:11 AM
It's embarrassing, but I'm sure ya'll will understand:-) I was 23 and living alone in my first house. As I was leaving a KMart, on impulse, I snatched up a couple of pairs of baby-doll nighties, scurried to the checkout and hustled out of the store as quickly as possible.

20 years later, I began to take it seriously and got quite comfortable scrounging through thrift stores where I could buy anything that looked like it might fit and not break the bank while I learned about sizes and such....I still raid the thrift stores on a regular basis....and am now also able to hit anything that's on sale, anywhere, without blushing.

Jaye

Seana Summer
09-06-2014, 08:37 AM
Sounds very familiar Paula. I love these threads that take me down memory lane!

Though I did not have the courage to go into a dress shop I too remember being scared to death to buy my first female anything. It was just a simple pair of Leggs Silk Reflections pantyhose, size Q, mahogany in a local department store named Meijers (similar to Walmart). This was before internet, or at least before there was a web site for everything, so I could not investigate what size to buy ahead of time or even what kind to buy and long before those self checkout lines. My only previous experience in wearing pantyhose before this was "borrowing" my sisters Underalls many years before that day.

I remember walking through the ladies section twice, very quickly, to make sure know one I knew was around. Then walking over to the self standing display and picking up a package and examining it trying to figure out which kind would be soft and which might be like sandpaper. Then the size chart! OMG I am off the chart! was my thought, but I determined which size was the largest, Q, and made my way to the front of the store to buy them. I was not about to hang around the ladies department 1 more second! In hind site I probably drew the attention of store security and they were probably keeping an eye on that strange acting guy....but they don't arrest people for buying pantyhose, even if you happen to be a large male:)

It was quite some time after that before I would buy my first dress and really get back to crossdressing, mostly out of fear of being discovered. Many cloths and outfits later, and knowing all of you are also out there shopping, it no longer has the same feel of criminal activity :heehee:

Paula, I admire you for your initial courage to go into a dress shop and interact with a sale clerk, especially back in the 80s!

alwayshave
09-06-2014, 09:31 AM
I recall buying a pair of silk panties at Victoria Secret when it carried more high end inventory, perhaps 1984/85. Of course, they were for my, ahem, girlfriend. Still remember they were plain and light blue. I can remember it took my a bout an hour to build up the nerve to enter.

AnneC
09-06-2014, 09:36 AM
Gosh, it was so long ago I don't remember. I do remember the heart pumping and being very excited when I bought a pair of black patent pumps from a discount shoe store back in the mid 1960s. What a fun memory now.

Allison Chaynes
09-06-2014, 10:23 AM
I think I bought four pairs of panties at Big Lots in college. I remember I was nervous and spent almost an hour in the store waiting for that section of the store to empty out.

CarlaWestin
09-06-2014, 10:33 AM
In the late seventies, I would make my way into the city just to peruse all the beautiful lingerie, bras and foundations in the two glass showcases at the entrance of the Dor-ne Corsett Shoppe (http://www.dornecorset.com/).

Although the original store is gone the company still remains in business and is gender friendly. I remember trembling as I finally entered the store as a young teenager. The matronly clerks tried to interest me in an elaborately decorated brocade full corset but I purchased a black Bali longline bra. It felt so good to have that magical hug and nice water balloon boobies bouncing as I walked.

bridget thronton
09-06-2014, 10:40 AM
Skirt, blouse, belt when I was 20 something. Yes I was terrified even though it was a discount store (TN Maxx) and lost in my only purge a few years later

Lexi Moralas
09-06-2014, 10:47 AM
It was the late 80's and I was a wanna be rocker. So big hair eyeliner and skin tight spandex pants ( I loved the spandex jeans with no pockets and the zipper in the back !)were regular apparel worn by guys in that crowd( thank god for poison, they made it ok for a little while )And I had no problem buys those item. At the rock club the easiest way to tell the guys from the girls was the shoes , we all wore similar stuff but all the guys were in high top sneakers or cowboy boots and the girls wore sky scraper heels. So I guess my point is the first real girl thing I bought that I didn't flaunt to the world was a pair of super sexy white high heel lace up ankle boots. You remember those from the 80's don't you girls ? I loved them ! Wish I still had them today

Vikky
09-06-2014, 10:49 AM
Hi Folks

I bought my first items of clothing about a year ago. The SO was away for a couple of weeks so it was an opportunity to order online and get them delivered without her knowing. I ordered from Amazon and the first packages – bra, slip, skirts – were delivered when I was out and taken in next door. Horror. Was there a picking list on the outside of the package? Would they open in error? Would I be found out before I had hardly started? Fortunately it turned out OK.

I also had a voucher for a well known UK retailer and about the same time I ordered a lacy top with integral chemise and tights online for delivery at a local branch. Went there a few days later underdressed in bra, full slip and thigh highs, but wearing several layers of outdoor clothing (it was raining and cold).

My goods weren’t at the counter and I had to wait, during which time a GG well-known to me appeared to collect her own packages. We chatted (if only she had known what I was wearing!), and then my stuff appeared, again in a plain wrapper.

Sighs of relief but an exciting start to my CDing.

Vikky

Ally 2112
09-06-2014, 11:19 AM
I was about 15 and it was at Christmas time i took the bus across town to a store i had been by many times .I started looking throu the rack of skirts and a nice young lady (but older than me obviously) asked if she could help .Without thinking becuase i had planned this for some time and had worked up the courage told her i was buying for my sister (of course i have no sister ).I walked out with a nice black skirt and white blouse .
I also wanted a slip but did not have enough money and this was way before debit .My heart did not stop pounding for 2 days i think .The nice thing was my parents went away for a couple of days just after Christmas and my older Bro had a Gf and spent most of his time at her house and was never really home much .So my point is i had a lot of time to dress and that had to be one of my most favorite times for being able to dress because it was the first time i actually had my own clothes :)

Dianne S
09-06-2014, 11:29 AM
I was 19 and living by myself in a different city for a four-month work term. I went into Sears and picked out a bra, panties and camisole. I was so nervous I forgot I had them and left the store without paying. Thankfully, no-one caught me and as soon as I realized what I'd done, I went right back in and paid for the items. I was incredibly nervous.

Now I just go in and buy items without a second thought. I cheerfully make smalltalk with sales associates and checkout people; I really don't care what they think, and mostly they're very friendly because they want to make a sale.

Nikki A.
09-06-2014, 11:32 AM
Back in the 80s, Fileens Basement an all in one shaper and hose. I was more of an under dresser initially. Now I've gone to all kinds of stores and buy whatever I want and say it's for me.

Karen kc
09-06-2014, 11:44 AM
I remember buying pantyhose, probably 20yo, at the old Ames here in town! was nervous as a church mouse.

Anna H
09-06-2014, 01:01 PM
I'd always managed to *get* clothes...and bought stuff for my
girlfriends since 17 regularly. But it was pretty obvious that
the stuff wasn't for me (a dress or a nightie here & there) and
I had no fear at all.

But it took a looong time for me to get the courage to buy my own
shoes, which I'd always wanted desperately. I was about 26 or so.

I just finally had to have them...whatever it took. I went to
the mall to payless when they first opened in the morning and
bought some white 2" pumps. It was very scary because they were
size 12 and they were obviously for me...lol!

I had a storage unit that I was working out of near that mall and
wore those shoes doing woodworking every day. I was SO happy with
my very own shoes!

I wore them out, but it was much easier to buy them the next time
because I knew how happy they'd made me. I was Much more productive
for some reason. Heehee!

:)

Yoshisaur
09-06-2014, 01:45 PM
I first started ordering my own clothes about two years ago. It was a nice black mini dress and a pair of bra and panties to match the dress. I was so scared about getting the package hoping no one else in my house gets to it before me. I'm still trying to expand my wardrobe hopefully I can someday get up enough courage to actually buy something at a store.

Blynda52
09-06-2014, 01:51 PM
I was 18 and home on leave and went to a dept store and bought my first pair of heels. Id like to know how many I've had since

CherylFlint
09-06-2014, 02:18 PM
Good story and LUCKY YOU that the SA was so kind and accomidating.
My experience that such SA's in stores don't even want to have anything to do with us.
However, thankfully there are exceptions. What I do nowadays is carry a photo of me dressed in a dress, nice photo, and, as I show it to the SA, say this is me and I'm looking for a bra/skirt, whatever. Some SA's get all bent-out of shape, come completely unglued, and then I just leave, while others may say "I'll be glad to help you" OR "Let me pass you over to another SA who will be more than glad to help you."
But MOST of the time the sales lady is rude, and then that store NEVER sees a penny of my money.
I'd like to own a lingerie store, actually.

Katey888
09-06-2014, 02:33 PM
Do I really remember or have I subconsciously blotted it out of my mind... (It's that latent guilt thing going on again... :()

My first purchase didn't come until I'd left my parents' home to go to Uni... and then the wonder of mail order allowed for packages to arrive discreetly - but sadly I had little spare cash... I do recall my first purchase 'in the flesh' was at a local charity/thrift shop when I was about 22... and my first pair of new boots a few years later... (really still have a thing about boots... :D)

You youngsters don't know how lucky you are with the web and eBay and Amazon... I still get nervous shopping in store, but actually it's quite a pleasant buzz - nothing wrong with that! :)

Katey x

cindi_in_satin
09-06-2014, 03:06 PM
So far, I've only been able to muster up the courage to buy pantyhose. I sooo want to buy a dress or lingerie when I'm out shopping. Been thinking of trying thrift shops, but afraid of the reaction I might get. Now that Halloween is approaching, this may be a good time to pretend I'm purchasing a costume.

Leslie Langford
09-06-2014, 05:16 PM
For me, it was my first pair of high heels when I was about 18 and in my first year of university (or a "freshman" as they say in " 'merican" ;) ).

Having grown up in Montreal, I went to a local university at the time and commuted by bus every day through a French section of town. And each day, I passed this independently-owned shoe store which had the most amazing heels on display in their window, and over which I would invariably salivate. Montreal - then, as now - was a fashion Mecca populated by some of the most gorgeous and stylish women on the planet, and those shoes reflected that reality.

I saved and saved my hard-earned money from my part-time job and eventually screwed up the courage to get off at the bus stop nearest to that store and purchase the pair that had caught my fancy. Luckily, I already knew my shoe size, having surreptitiously experimented with some of my aunt's clothes (who was exactly my size) when she had come for a family visit from overseas a few weeks before.

Yep, I experienced all of the angst, second thoughts, and assorted other terror that we all feel just before taking that final plunge and heading off into the proverbial lion's den. And in my case, the extra kicker was that I had to conduct my purchase in French, and I was unsure if my language skills were good enough at that point to convey my intentions while not flubbing my "cover story" (What else? - Halloween ;) ).

In the end, the transaction went off without a hitch, the ladies tending the store were most gracious (probably more impressed that an "Anglo" could speak such good French rather than the fact that he likely was a "transvestite", as we were called back in the day), and the shoes ended up fitting perfectly.

But the story doesn't end there. When I hopped into the next bus to continue on home, who do I see sitting in the back but my best friend who was attending the same university, and who had just gotten out of his classes which ended later than mine. I clearly had no choice but to sit next to him, and he did ask at one point what I had in that bag as we chatted, but fortunately, he didn't me press for details after I mumbled a plausible deflecting response.

Reflecting back on that experience, I still wonder to this day what caused me the greater terror back then - walking into that shoe store and making my first purchase of high heels, or unexpectedly running into my friend and facing the distinct risk of being "outed" in public the very same day...

lingerieLiz
09-06-2014, 10:45 PM
First time I went into a store to buy a pair of panties by my self I was singled out as a shop lifter by one of the clerks. I was acting weird. That was in the 60s. I left the store empty handed. Did go to another and buy a pair. It was funny because I had been with my mother and sisters when they purchased for themselves and on occasion for me.

CarmenSkye
09-06-2014, 10:50 PM
I'll never forget the first time I bought my first purchase in femme. It was really late at night at a Walmart but I couldn't have cared less. It was exhilarating. I bought a bra, a belt, and I think a few basic tees. I loved every moment of it! The best part was being completely checked out by a guy. THAT was a huge achievement- along with using the ladies room for the first time in public!

Bonnie Chan
09-06-2014, 11:42 PM
I feel like I'm lucky to have internet these days. If I was born decades ago I would never be brave enough to start buying stuff in person. Today you can just order stuff from online easily, but will have to deal with sizing issues instead, which I think is far more easier to handle than going in store in person :)
I really admire you ladies out there that were brave enough to buy your first from the store in person.

Now back to the topic :) I started with buying my first forms along with bras 4 years ago from thebreastformstore.com. I have always dreamt of having my own boobs and wanted to get the feeling of it. Then only year after I wanted to explore myself more so I started ordering fem clothes from online.
I still have yet never go to buy fem clothes from store in person, though I would really like to experience what it's like to be a girl shopping for her own clothes once.

Tammy Lynn Tx
09-07-2014, 12:48 AM
Don't be afraid! Remember these words "They're for me" and you will be amazing how freeing that is!

http://www.femulate.org/search?q=they%27re+for+me

Paula, this is true and can even be fun, especially when in drab you look like a 250 Lb truck driver or gorilla ( sometimes it is about the same thing). Even when I actually do buy something for my wife, which is often. It also is for me. She loves telling her friends that I surprise her by buying her something nice/ sexy to wear.

Devorah
09-07-2014, 01:20 AM
i remember heading into JC Penney's lingerie department when i was in my early twenties. i had even scribbled out a note that made it look like i had sizes "for my girlfriend". Ha! The sales clerk, an older lady who apparently was the only one working the department at that time, saw right through me almost immediately. When I approached the cash register with the four pairs of panties that i had selected - nothing over the top, just satin floral hi cut panties that were "more sensible than sexy", she complimented me by saying that i had made a wise choice in selecting comfort over something flimsy. I was stunned for a second as i realized that she knew that i was buying them for myself. i must have turned fifty shades of red before she introduced herself with her name and told me that she would be more than happy to help me make more purchases in the future. she wasn't horrified, she didn't laugh, she didn't ridicule me. i am forever grateful for that first interaction when a total stranger accepted me for who i was and did everything she could to make me feel at ease.

Marcelle
09-07-2014, 04:40 AM
Like most here I started with online shopping but got tired of having to send things back which did not fit right. So after getting comfortable being out and about as Isha, I walked into a Winners went through the racks, picked out some items and proceeded to the change rooms. I bought a skirt that day . . . my first purchase as Isha. The SAs were fine and SA at the change rooms pointed me in the direction of the women's side.

Hugs

Isha

Paula_56
09-07-2014, 05:48 AM
Leslie

I love you story about the first time you bought shoes, and then the part about your friend getting on the bus. Gosh these are all things we have in common. It's funny we were all so alone for so many years but going thru many of the same rites of passage.

Your sister
Paula

Claire Cook
09-07-2014, 06:11 AM
These stories bring back lots of memories -- how much we identify with them! First time for me ... gosh, probably 35 years ago, long before Claire went shopping for herself. Just had to buy a bra, but had no idea about sizes or styles, just bought this padded thing in (I think) a J J Newberry's (doesn't that date me...). Nervous as heck, told the SA it was for my wife (:brolleyes:).

My, how times have changed. Now Claire is much more particular about what she buys ... and I guess it's time for her first bra fitting!

Ellen2d
09-07-2014, 06:35 AM
I don't recall what I first bought in a store, it was almost 25 years ago. It was probably panties. or something that I bought for "Someone else" Probably the first big purchase for Ellen was a wig. At that time I belonged to a local club for CD's and there were several recommended vendors. I went to a wig shop that had one person that worked with "us". It was exhilarating. Most of my outer clothes were purchased from catalogs as the internet was in it's fledgling stage. After I'd acquired some clothes I went to a makeup specialist and after that went to the Mall of America dressed. It was both scary and exciting.

annecwesley
09-07-2014, 06:36 AM
Pantyhose were my first, when I was 16. I long admired the packages of pantyhose at the local corner market, and finally I got the courage to buy a pair. I did this twice, and I strongly suspect the clerk knew they were for me. I simply don't know why I didn't shop outside of my neighborhood.

My real beginning was after I got married. I simply got the confidence (at least around Christmas time) to buy the slips or bra and panty sets I admired the rest of the e year.

I was over thirty before I got bold enough to try on clothes in a store (a thrift shop). That was a big break. I could buy dresses, skirts and blouses with the assurance that they fit -- and that they looked good on me. Now I regularly browse and buy at the local thrift and department stores.

Lucy Lou
09-07-2014, 07:58 AM
That is me. Lol. It was exactly the same for me. The first things I bought were some lingerie, a basque and some fish net stockings. I was given a strange look from the sales girl who was quite young and I dwelt with it by saying that I hoped my girlfriend liked it. The point about feeling your heart pumping is so true and makes it worse for us.

Now I don't have quite the same reaction, but buying things on line makes is so much easier as there is no face or interaction to deal with. I haven't ever been in a position where I was asked if I wanted to try a dress on, so well done for you, [all those years ago] Make up is harder to buy because you can always use the excuse with clothes, but buying some lipstick is more tricky. In the stores near me there are express checkouts where you do it yourself and so it is easier to get certain items without being noticed.

Some of the on line places I buy from must know that the items are for me and I have also taken to writing a 'thank you' note to the companies saying how much I like wearing the items I have purchased. I have received very kind replies and comments. Not judgmental at all, which makes me feel so much better. I am sure we all go through these same emotions at some time or other and it is wonderful to be able to talk about it.

If it is true that the governments are really spying on us from time to time then my secret is out and they know I am a crossdresser, which in a way makes me feel good.

Lucy Lou. xx

Ressie
09-07-2014, 09:03 AM
I was 'on the road' with a band in the early '80s, so my first purchase was in a town far from home. I was around 30 years old, went into JC penney's and bought a flannel shirt and a bra & panty set.

Adriana Moretti
09-07-2014, 01:51 PM
I can remember going into the local punk rock clothing shop ( not Hot Topic ) and buying a sexy pvc outfit and garter belt outfit....I think the sales rep knew it was for me...I diddnt care though..glad I grew up though......even if it is just a little bit.

Mafalda
09-07-2014, 05:11 PM
It was a shoe shop in my city... They had big size shoes and regular, I got these wonderful red patent stilettoes, saying they were for a theatre show... Best female shoes in my life! Lost in a purge.

BLUE ORCHID
09-07-2014, 05:45 PM
Hi Paula, It was well over 50yrs ago :daydreaming:at the old S S KRESGE 5 & dime store which was the fore runner of K-MART stores
The first items were a bullet bra, garter belt and a pair of nylons, Not sure how long the nylons lasted
but the bra and garter belt lasted a very long time.
Now days if I hooked all my bras together they would probably reach all the way around the block.

kimdl93
09-07-2014, 05:46 PM
Hmmm first real life, not on line purchase...not all that long ago. Already had a closet full of catalogue and on line purchases. I suppose my first in store purchase was About four years. I shopped en femme, so no it's for my wife excuse. I believe I bought several tops, all 3/4 sleeves and some skinny jeans and none of which I wear anymore.

aussie cd
09-07-2014, 06:18 PM
when about 19 I think early 80's just moved out of home by myself into a 1 bedroom unit, walked into outer city shoe shop , was the only customer there thank the lord, and locked eyes on an amazing pair of red stilettos with spike heels!! (same red colour as my face with sweat beads furiously forming!!!!) the SA asked what size? I said 9 for the GF (non existent but cover story!) , hmm she said she has big feet, I mumble something i cant remember , then said now i'll have a pair of runners. what size? hmm size 9 thanks, she twigged right there I reckon! but all went well , couldn't wait to get back to the car to try on....OMG loved them (a bit tight to start didn't realise needed a size up from mens size) but WOW I was in love right there....wish I still had them , they would still be fashionable today...went with one of the purges (new GF,since married/divorced!)

HIGH heels have always been my weakness, current wife of 12 years is good with my femme side and buys me heels as much as I want....she doesn't know how I walk in them as she is hopeless in them...she will buy anything for me as well when we are out shopping....we both peruse the racks and if I make comment about how nice something is..she always says i'll buy it for you....god bless her!

Fi Evo
09-08-2014, 01:08 AM
Two stand out occasions for me;

There was a dress hire place I used to pass on my way to work and I noticed one day that they were selling off stock. I plucked up the courage and walked in and asked where the sale rail was. The assistant asked if it was for me and said she'd take me to the dressing room. She then spent a good twenty minutes with me bringing out gowns she thought would work with my figure and build. I bought a beautiful strapless, floor length evening dress. She was so kind and understanding.

Many years ago I spied a wig I wanted in a local hairdressers window. It was the end of the day and quiet so I walked in and enquired. They immediately assumed it was for me and without hesitation asked if I wanted to try it. They took me to the back of the shop and fitted it and did a rough styling in front if the mirrors. The assistant was so accepting and courteous, obviously they got the sale!

Fiona

CalvinKlein
09-08-2014, 05:52 AM
Funny to think how nervous I was, pacing around and walking by stores - now I just walk right in and browse like I belong there! My first time was at Kohl's and I bought three thongs the summer I got my license. I graduated onto buying Calvin Klein underwear in the dept store and eventually Victoria's Secret. I used to get so nervous!!! Turning red and not wanting to communicate with anybody - now my heart won't even skip a beat.

mariehart
09-08-2014, 06:30 AM
I actually cannot recall what I bought first. Probably tights. I was quite lucky in that I had access to my sisters' clothes which fitted me even though they were younger than me. I never wore my Mother's clothes. Plus I had access to charity donation clothes which helped.

I think my first real 'risky' purchase was a pair of shoes, high heels. Luckily I was a size 6 at the time and while the girl made a jokey comment about them being for me. I just laughed and pointed out how small they were. Most men being an 8. My feet have grown since. I never realised that you feet got bigger as you get older. So it's harder now.

I still find it hard to shop. Only this morning I went into a shop determined to pick up a skirt. Believe it or not I have no skirts! But I lost confidence and left with nothing. :o

trishacd
09-08-2014, 07:55 AM
The first time i bought was in the 60s.I rode my bike to a local store and bought thi high nylons.pantyhose had not even been out yet. Now i dont think twice about trying something on.

Jenny Doolittle
09-08-2014, 09:23 AM
I can't say it was my first time buying anything, but it was the first time buying anything that I allowed the sales girl know it was for me....

About 12 years ago, I was on a Golf Vacation with 27 other guys, they all went to dinner,and I went to the outlet mall, just to check out the shops you understand. Well, they had a Dress Barn, so I went in to brows (like it is not uncommon for an un-attached guy to go in to a women's shop to"brows") Anyway, the sales associate met me at the door and asked if she could help, and of course I said "No Thank you, I am just looking." I searched the different racks, and admired all the clothes, and on several occasion the sales girl asking again if I needed any help or could assist me in any way. Each time I declined until finally I summed all the courage I had and I asked, "Do you have any side or back zipper slacks in black?" I mean, Heck, I was 600 miles from home and no one knew me here! She smiled and said, "Of course, We have several selections right this way," and the search was on with me in tow.

We went from this rack to that rack of beautiful clothes, looking at several styles of slacks. All the while the sales girl was quizzing me about where will the slacks be worn, what type of outing, will she be in heels, how high of heels. I had no idea this would be so involved and I would need to know all of these answers! Plus, of course, I needed to tell her a size, that I would be guessing at. Finally after she had handed me four different pair I asked, Nearly shaking with anticipation, "May I try them on?" A huge smile came across her face and she said, "Certainly" knowing all along who these slacks were eventually going to envelope in a beautiful evening out.

Long story short, I ended up with a complete Christmas Party outfit and a wonderful new friend that I visited for serval more years as I went on my golf mecca each November. I have to thank Juanita for giving me the confidence to shop in person. We in deed did become friends in an odd sort of way, her giving me fashion advice every time I visited the Dress Barn in South Carolina.

Stephanie47
09-08-2014, 10:07 AM
The first garment I bought in person was a long nylon nightgown. Actually, I cannot remember if the first was a floor length black gown or a below the knee pink peignoir set. The black one was somewhat form fitting, so it has since been donated. The pink nightie is still in my wardrobe and I guess would be classified as vintage. I cannot bear to part with it. Those two nighties were purchased on shopping trips with my wife. I also acquired through a hand-me-down a red peignoir set from my wife. She got it from a friend. I tossed it because the fabric was too scratchy. My wife bought me a garter belt and stockings. All that occurred before we realized I was a cross dresser. Go figure! Everything was alright before a label was attached to wearing women's night wear!!!!!

lexivanderpump
09-08-2014, 10:56 AM
My first purchase was a pair of pink ruffled panties when I was 21 years old on a business trip. My most exciting purchase was buying my first pair ever 6 inch heels and having the female employee check my "woman" shoe size.

SusanaO
09-09-2014, 07:26 PM
The first thing I ever bought was a pink and black thong after I moved out at 18. Just a few bucks and I loved wearing it under my jeans.

Pantyhoselover1979
09-10-2014, 01:18 AM
It was a pair of opaque tights at walmart last year but I went through self checkout does that count lol I've bought tons of stuff online though

ArleneRaquel
09-10-2014, 01:54 AM
My first femmy clothing purchase was in the late 1960's either from Sears or a local chain-Goldblatts. Shortly thereafter I purchased my first pair of female perscription glasses.

BaliGirl
09-10-2014, 02:41 AM
I bought my first bra plus foam forms online about 8 years ago from the BreastFormStore.com I've only bought sleepwear in person. I admire those you of you who are brave enough to buy lingerie in person!

charlenesomeone
09-10-2014, 03:55 AM
My first girl purchase was a mistake. Saw a great pair of jeans and bought them. I was about 12. Then found out they were feminine. Oh well wore them anyway so not to noticeable. Fast forward, last trip to Payless in girl shirt and cute flats.
XX
Char

EllenJo
09-10-2014, 06:40 AM
What a great thread. Since I am an older member it is hard to remember the exact details of my first purchase but it was panties at a KMart store. Flowered bikini panties from the discount bin. I was so embarrassed going through the checkout but nothing was said by the cashier.

After that is was from department stores when I was traveling on business.

My most memorable purchase was about a year and a half ago after my wife became accepting. We were in a local consignment store and I jokingly picked out a cute denim skirt and asked the wife what she thought. She took one look and went to a different rack and picked out a different style denim skirt and said try them both on and see which one you like. I surprised her by doing just that. I remember the girl at the dressing rooms not even flinching when I showed her what I had and she pointed me to a dressing room. Of course the wife had the better taste and her selection did look good on me. When I came out, I gave the other skirt to the attendant and walked over to the check out and handed the girl there my selection. She offered me a shoppers card which I declined that day and she said I had chosen a nice skirt. I replied that my wife actually picked it out for me and that she knows what looks good on me. We left with my purchase and it will always be a special skirt for me.
Hugs
Ellen Jo

shelly1
09-10-2014, 09:21 AM
my first purchase was a pair of panties and thigh highs about ten years ago.

KatieV
09-10-2014, 02:00 PM
Love the expression "one the great purges of the 80's" - as if it were instigated by Stalin himself!

Daryl
09-10-2014, 02:15 PM
It was in the late 70's or early 80's. Not sure of the exact date. They were panties and panty hose from Target.

NicoleScott
09-10-2014, 03:52 PM
I was fortunate to have been the same size for several teen years as my older sister (clothes AND shoes) and she had some great very high heels. It was best described as occasional dabbling in limited aspects of CDing. Things changed in my early twenties: the desire to fully transform head-to-toe, more money, and more private time and place opportunities. Scared as heck, I started buying things in stores. Had to have them.

Lucy Lou
09-10-2014, 04:06 PM
The first thing I bought was a basque and stockings. A few different times and then after many years I went on to buying more. Now I buy whatever I want, either on line or in a shop and i don't care if someone thinks anything of me after I have left.

Lucy Lou xx

Stephskk
09-11-2014, 06:59 AM
my first was a pair of shoes. I stood at the register and was positive everyone knew they were for me. No one said anything but I also had that feeling said by someone else that I felt I was buying something illegal.

Even today its an adrenaline rush buying something.

BillieJoEllen
09-11-2014, 09:57 AM
In 1967 all of my access to feminine wear disappeared. I thought to myself that I would purchase my own complete change of women's clothes. On my way to my 2nd shift job in a different city I stopped at a dimestore and bought a bra and a girdle. I then bought the following items at separate stores in yet a different city: stockings, slip, blouse, skirt and then the one that caused me the most fear was panties. It was probably the longest second shift I ever put in because of the anticipation of trying those clothes on after work.

cdintraining25
09-11-2014, 10:04 AM
Oh, My first bras were so terrible and uncomfortable! I didn't realize how I felt until I got my first pair of heels and flats that really made some outfits.

Lorna
09-12-2014, 04:41 AM
I don't think it was unusual, back in the 60s, for men to buy most items of female clothing: dresses, skirts, blouses, stockings, etc genuinely for their wives and girlfriends. I certainly did it and plenty of others did. There were, though, some items that I don't think any man would have bought - bras, girdles, women's shoes being the most obvious (though sometimes, around Christmas perhaps, men could be seen buying fancy underwear with which to surprise or shock their beloveds). For me, therefore, it was not a problem to acquire most items and it caused me no embarrassment. I am fortunate in not being especially big, so the women's sizes I buy "for my wife" are entirely plausible. In most cases I have bought in shops with an easy returns policy so if the size turns out to be wrong it is simple to exchange the item.

The real challenge came with acquiring the underwear. Funnily enough, the first item I bought in that category was a rather attractive dark blue waist slip from a distant branch of Marks & Spencer. That was easy. It gave me the courage, not long after, to go into another M&S branch and select a firm control girdle from the rack. I also put a couple of male items into my basket and headed for the payment desk. The assistant made no comment but when she picked up the last item, the girdle, I said something like "she can change that if I've got the wrong one can't she?" to which the assistant replied "Of course. She can take it back to any branch." I was en route to a meeting and couldn't wait to get to my hotel so that I could try on the girdle with some stockings. It was fine - and I didn't need to take it back!

Over the following years I managed to buy several more girdles (though it wasn't always as straightforward). I also bought some long-line bras (saying they were for an elderly relative) and some prettier bras (taking them through a self-service checkout). I know there will be criticism from those who say there's no need for such furtiveness but everyone has different circumstances and has to go about things in the way they feel most comfortable.

vicky_cd99_2
09-12-2014, 07:50 AM
The first thing I actually bought was a very sexy babydoll set from a lingerie store in Germany. It was completely never racking. I know my face was as red as a stop sign. I still get that way a little when I buy anything. I guess my size and build has a little to do with that.

Paula_56
09-12-2014, 08:48 AM
Love the expression "one the great purges of the 80's" - as if it were instigated by Stalin himself!

We are known for drama!!! LOL

Jenny Doolittle
09-12-2014, 01:48 PM
Thank you all for giving us this information... the C.I.A. and F.B.I. are doing a much better job at sharing information and this has been a test case in how well they all do!

Be assured, Next time you go in to buy your wife or Girlfriend something special, "We will know the real truth!" :)

susan2010
09-13-2014, 06:53 AM
I was 17. This was about 1971. I took the bus into Philadelphia, and stalked the big department stores: Wanamakers, Strawbridges, Gimbels. Back in those days lots of the lingerie was in glass cases, not hanging up on racks.
After wandering for hours I got up the nerve to walk up to a counter and tell the woman I wanted to buy a full slip, half slip and panties for my mother. I had no idea of sizes, so I had to try to describe her. The woman waiting on me seemed to thing it was sweet that I was buying lingerie for my mother; another woman there seemed to think that was wrong, or she knew it was for myself. Eventually, I got thru the long selection process, got everything boxed-up, and went home with a lovely yellow full slip, half slip, and two pair of panties.

aprilgirl
09-13-2014, 08:29 AM
For me it was 1985, fresh out of college and working in Chicago. I had my own apartment and therefore the privacy to begin assembling my own wardrobe. I ordered a couple of skirt suits and dresses, along with the necessary undergarments, from a JC Penney catalog. I remember filling out the form, attempting to print like a girl, and addressing it to Kimberly. Mailed it off and maybe 10 days later a big box appeared on my doorstep…it was like xmas!

My first time buying something in store occurred the next year. I was out making sales calls one morning and made a detour to TJ Maxx. It was pretty nerve wracking for me, even though the store wasn’t very crowded. I essentially grabbed two dresses that caught my eye that looked as though they might fit me and checked out. I paid cash and my hands were noticeably trembling when receiving the change, though the cashier didn’t bat an eyelash.

Jane G
09-13-2014, 09:32 AM
I can still remember that wonderful day. I bought a lace bra and knickers, together with a white nylon full slip.:daydreaming:

raven_crossdresser
09-13-2014, 04:36 PM
Living in a conservative area, I still feel myself blush and heart pound when I buy things like the first time when I bought my first pair of heels.

jeank
09-14-2014, 03:45 PM
First time I shopped in a store was about 20 years ago - I saw a pair of heels on offer outside a shop in my size and went in and bought them. I do remember being very nervous, and I was certainly in and out quickly - :)

Other than that around the same time I bought a couple of dresses in department stores "for my wife's birthday". Like a number of others, I was sure someone was going to point at me and inform the rest of the shop in a loud voice that a man was buying woman's clothes ......

Have still never felt confident enough to say they're for me.

Beverley Sims
09-14-2014, 10:01 PM
It was my first skirt on special when I was sixteen.

Jessicaa
09-14-2014, 10:14 PM
My first face to face purchase was in 2010, it was a dress "for my girlfriend" (emphasize the "for my girlfriend" part) at a small clothing store in my town. Unfortunately that was a casualty along with many others in The Great Purge of 2011, I seldom speak of those days anymore...

kimberlybates
09-15-2014, 06:17 AM
My very first purchase was a white silk blouse and a flowered skirt. I saw each and had to own them.