PDA

View Full Version : Sniffed out?

athena23
09-09-2014, 11:42 PM
So funny/awkward thing happened to me tonight. I play in a band and we have a new bass player that our guitarist knew and the rest of have known each other forever and played together for 5 years.

He was taking about a decision he had to make and how he hated being in limbo. Thinking about my illness and my recent unemployment, I said that I knew what it was like to be in limbo and at some point I had to take control and start living my life. Jokingly, he said " So when are you starting your transition?" And my friend said " he started a few months ago". I was thinking of my decision to start a business instead of a job. I just laughed through the moment but for a second, I wondered and my heart fluttered in anxiety. Mostly because I have been doing a lot of self-examination this summer and recently came out to my wife that I am having strong thoughts about breast enhancement.

Bear in mind I was (and have always been) in drab with my friends and nobody knows about my being TG accept my wife.

Coincidence or can straight guys sense a CD?

Shared this with my wife and she said " is this what is happening, the beginning of your transition" and I honestly said, I did not know. That said, I have no plans to transition but am thinking more about talking to a gender therapist. A side note: this morning I hand washed some sports bras I got recently with the intention of under dressing. I hung them in our bathroom to dry. For the first time in a long time my wife got home before me. I went to start dinner and when she went upstairs, I mentioned that I had left some things hanging in the bathroom. Seeing the bras freaked her out and all I could say was that it was my intention that I would be home before her and she wouldn't have seen them. She was disturbed but said that doesn't me she maybe won't mind it in the future. I assured her that it was ok to feel what she felt and not to worry about it.

I Am Paula
09-10-2014, 06:54 AM
When my transition was well underway, and I was out to everybody, I went back to visit the guys at my old work. The response was overwhelmingly positive, but that not the subject here.
David, who had been my closest friend there, some how always treated me differently, and asked me about girl stuff for gifts, and confided in me in a more feminine way than anybody else. I was not out at all there, although I probably had eyeliner residue some days, and other little clues.
On that visit, I said to David 'You knew all along didn't you?' He responded that he knew I was trans-something from the day I was hired. I asked how, did he have trans friends, or relatives? 'Nope, but I've always had a sense about these things'.
David is straight, cis, and quite macho, but he could see right thru' me.

Sara Jessica
09-10-2014, 07:04 AM
In honor of my 40th birthday several years ago, one of my best friends sent an email to me and a select number of people in our 50-ish employee office congratulating me on the event and also pointing out that this would be a momentous occasion, that I'd be making the decision as to how to spend the rest of my days...living as a male or female.

Granted, this was done in good fun. This guy, my friend, has the sharpest wit of anyone I know and it was funny as heck despite hitting very close to the bullseye. And at that time, the elephant in my room wasn't even particularly loud or visible.

So do your run-of-the-mill Muggle men (or women for that matter) have a TG-dar? Sometimes it seems that way.

More importantly though, I can see how your wife if getting freaked out. Any time the perception of transition enters the equation, whether she is right or wrong in what she perceives, an entirely new set of variables come into play...all of which can be very unsettling for even the strongest of our SO's.

kimdl93
09-10-2014, 07:45 AM
You handled your wife's dismay about as well as anyone could. Now, to the first part...it's just coincidental. But it does underscore ho much more commonplace the concept of transition has become.

Krisi
09-11-2014, 08:38 AM
The word "transition" has different meanings to different people. The average person doesn't associate it with changing one's sexual identity.

For example, a plumber will use a "transition coupling" to change from copper to PVC pipe.

athena23
09-11-2014, 10:13 AM
In my case, it was MTF transition. Basically he said, he my comment gave him an opening was too good for him to pass up.