PDA

View Full Version : First cosmetic

Sarah Doepner
09-10-2014, 10:13 AM
I was letting my mind wander, always a bad thing when it's off the leash, and I remembered the first time I tried a cosmetic. I applied my mothers lipstick, and I loved the taste and was amazed at the look. It would be years before I tried anything else, probably compact powder. Did any of you start with eyeshadow or nail polish or something else?

I'm pretty sure lipstick was the first cosmetic I purchased for personal use as well. Now, cosmetics should have a line in the budget. :)

kimdl93
09-10-2014, 10:31 AM
Hmmmm, my older sisters mascara. I was about 10.

NicoleScott
09-10-2014, 10:39 AM
I loved to see magazine and catalog pics of women wearing perfectly-applied deep red lipstick. So it was the first thing I tried. I remember the scents and tastes, and lament that it's not the same nowadays. If I drew a pie-chart about "Everything I like about CDing", lipstick would have a pretty big piece of the pie.

Foxy Lady
09-10-2014, 11:49 AM
My mother wore dark red lipstick and that's what I wore. I still prefer the darker shades.

shelly1
09-10-2014, 11:57 AM
my first cosmetic was my wife's fingernail polish

Kate Simmons
09-10-2014, 11:58 AM
Lipstick was mine of course, the redder, the better. It's still the very last thing I put on before going out the door. :battingeyelashes::)

Cheryl Ann Owens
09-10-2014, 12:05 PM
Well, when I was about 5 my sisters with my mom's blessing painted my nails a bright red. I was maybe clueless about being a CD back then but they got a big kick about doing this. But years later I tried the obvious lipstick which seems to be common with posters here. Today I don't do much makeup except for a full adventure, but I love adding mascara to really enhance my eyelashes. I go out this way and anyone probably thinks I just have nice lashes. No one has given me any funny looks.

Cheryl

Lexi Moralas
09-10-2014, 12:14 PM
Eyeliner , In guy mode , I was an 80 rocker wannabe

typhoidmary
09-10-2014, 12:15 PM
I was around 15, when I was home alone I used to sneak into my parents' bedroom and "borrow" some of my mum's eyeshadow.

Katey888
09-10-2014, 02:53 PM
Amazingly - scarily - the first genuine cosmetic I bought and applied was only just about 18 months ago and was just eyeshadow and lipstick...

Things have accelerated pretty quickly since then although I'm darned if I can get the hang of mascara... :facepalm:

I have to admit - embarrassingly - to trying to use poster paint (water-based paint) as eye-shadow and nail polish when I was about 13... :eek: I'm surprised the trauma has not stayed with me longer.... :lol:

For non-CD reasons, I've had a long addiction to lipstick... :devil:

Katey x

Kate Simmons
09-10-2014, 02:59 PM
Years ago before having the courage to actually buy makeup, I made my own using talcum powder and water based colored markers. Amazing what we can do out of necessity.:battingeyelashes::)

NicoleScott
09-10-2014, 03:43 PM
Kate, I thought I might be the only one who improvised makeup. When I was a pre-teen, I used a water color paint kit, wetting the brush and getting the color I wanted, then mixing it with white toothpaste and brushing it on my lips. Washed right off. Like you, I have used talcum powder. I tried (and failed) to make fake eyelashes out of black construction paper. I used a black t-shirt for hair...the list goes on. Oh, to be able to buy stuff now. Sure is easier and much better.

Lucy Lou
09-10-2014, 04:10 PM
I think the first thing was eye shadow and then lipstick. It took a long time to go the whole way but was worth it. Lucy Lou.xx

Adriana Moretti
09-10-2014, 04:44 PM
my grandmother..besides having the deepest walk in closet full of 3 daughters worth of old clothing and wigs from the 60's, had a beautiful makeup station, with a 6 ft mirror , it had these great little drawers and a cute chair, inside one of the drawers was a ton of lipstick samples which I loved to play with at a very early age..maybe 9 ish..i used to lock myself in that bathroom.

Renee Elise
09-10-2014, 04:58 PM
When I was about 14/15 and decked out in a beautiful dress of my Mom's, hose, and heels, I tried her lipstick. I was a little freaked out at the time because I realized with more makeup I could look like a girl. Never went all the way though because I wanted to have long hair with the makeup.

Anna H
09-10-2014, 05:28 PM
My mom was an "Avon Lady" so i've always been around cosmetics of
all kinds.

I recall she had 2 little boxes of tiny lipsticks that were samples of
every color they made. I vaguely recall playing with that on my own
a few times. She'd experiment on me from time to time.

She'd always get excited about any new perfume, so I was used to
getting spritzed a lot...lol!

Laura28
09-10-2014, 06:01 PM
I can still recall trying my moms lipstick. i would do it when i was taking a bath so i would lock the door and put it on, i can still remember the taste and smell i loved it of course it was deep red, i do recall the first time i used the face cloth to wash it off and was horrified when i could not get it off the wash cloth. I took it out with me and threw it away outside. My mom asked about and i played dumb. From that point on i used toliet paper so i could flush the evidence, lol.

Brenda456
09-10-2014, 06:16 PM
I had to think about that one. I remember trying on my moms eye shadow. . .

Pantyhoselover1979
09-10-2014, 07:37 PM
Probably moms eyeshadow or nail polish I can't really remember which

Sarah Doepner
09-11-2014, 12:23 AM
I'm really glad that others remember the smell and taste of lipstick from an earlier day. I found some by Mary Kay that had that smell, but it's been a while and would love to find some more. Now it's all herbs and mint or candy.

Yoshisaur
09-11-2014, 12:55 AM
First makeup I ever put on was my lipstick by my sisters, but the first piece of cosmetic I bought for myself was an eye makeup set

bridget thronton
09-11-2014, 12:57 AM
Lipstick borrowed from wifrE

Cynthia99
09-11-2014, 10:14 AM
My sisters lipstick - and the clothes she left behind when she moved out (Being 8 years older than me). I eventually tried the mascara and eye shadow she had left also - and had a difficult time removing it!

Marcia Blue
09-11-2014, 09:51 PM
Lipstick was the first cosmetic I tried, when I was 5. My mom also sold Avon. I was in heaven with the lipstick samples,

Ashley Wray
09-11-2014, 10:34 PM
I would have to say powder foundation at 10