PDA

View Full Version : Question about estradiol

Christina Sevilla
09-10-2014, 12:58 PM
I have been reading that sublingual estradiol is better than taking it orally. Is sublingual estradiol different or i can i take the small blue pill and take it sublingually?

Donna Joanne
09-10-2014, 01:18 PM
Without going into dosage details, there isn't any sub lingual estrogen on the market as far as I know Christina. Most let them dissolve under the tongue. I prefer IM, but that's my personal choice and don't mind needles.

Frances
09-10-2014, 01:41 PM
There is no better method for everyone. Some work better than others. Blood tests reveal if the hormones are well absorded or not. I do great with patches, others do not.

Christina Sevilla
09-10-2014, 02:13 PM
I will go with the sublingual route then as from what I read less impact on the liver.

Angela Campbell
09-10-2014, 02:14 PM
I took the blue pill sublingually for a year or so. It is better for the liver. I moved to injections every two weeks. Just put it under the tongue and in a few mins it is gone. Doesn't taste bad.

Christina Sevilla
09-10-2014, 02:33 PM
Cool Angela! Took the first orally but for the next i will place it under my tongue. Will see how it goes until the next appointment this December.

Frances
09-10-2014, 02:34 PM
The thing about a statement like "better for the liver" is that it does not quantify possible damage. It can be better than incredibly negligeable, for instance.

Kathryn Martin
09-10-2014, 03:08 PM
Sub lingual means under the tongue where it is absorbed through the mucus membrane directly into the blood stream so that it does not get passed through the liver and kidneys whch essentially kick most of it out. The liver side effect is not significant, so Frances is right it's better than nothing serious

whowhatwhen
09-10-2014, 03:54 PM
I dunno, I just swallow it every morning and so far the E levels are going up up up!
:D

LeaP
09-10-2014, 04:42 PM
Administration methods differ and may be better for one purpose or another but not in any absolute sense.

Impact to the liver, meaning harm, is only one consideration. Passage through the hepatic portal (which is what happens when you swallow the pill) actually works differently chemically. The whole business of a "first pass effect" is widely misunderstood. Even so, estradiol doesn't change a whole lot either way and the impact, given modern dosages, is modest enough from a harm perspective.

The major requirement for sublingual dosing is that the drug is sufficiently finely ground enough for it to pass through the membranes under your tongue. The term used to describe this is "micronized." As far as I have been able to tell, virtually all oral estradiol tablets on the market happen to be micronized. I have had them from several different generic manufacturing sources. I checked each and all were micronized.

The major difference with sublingual estradiol administration is it produces the quickest rise in serum estradiol levels. Because the half-life of estradiol metabolism is relatively short, however, that also means that you will clear more of it from your system more quickly also. Whether that is good, bad or indifferent is another question.

Angela Campbell
09-10-2014, 05:03 PM
never the less a doctor will do a liver enzyme test if you are on estrogen. Mine does.

Christina Sevilla
09-10-2014, 05:18 PM
I appreciate all of the advices girls. Thank you!

VanTG
09-10-2014, 05:55 PM
Cant wait, this is what I get to look for in about 2 or 3 months. I may be stopping by and asking questions.