PDA

View Full Version : Kid in apparent tights

jjjjohanne
09-11-2014, 05:44 AM
I saw a boy I know recently dressed unusually. He is around 8 years old. He was wearing shorts and what looked like black, opaque, wool tights. Later, I saw him sitting down with his family and I saw that they were thigh-high socks. Probably boys' clothes. But while standing, he looked like he was wearing girls' tights with his boys' shorts and shoes. There were a couple dozen people around. No one paid him any particular attention. No one seemed to care or perhaps notice if he was wearing what looked like tights in public.

Kate Simmons
09-11-2014, 06:18 AM
This isn't usually as big a deal to kids as it is to adults it seems. :)

devida
09-11-2014, 07:17 AM
I dunno. Nobody pays any attention when I wear black opaque compression tights in public! They pay more attention to my thigh high socks, which with winter coming soon to the South, I'll be able to wear again. The attention they pay is mostly to compliment me. Most people like to see someone wearing something different, especially men who I think are a little depressed at the clothing purgatory they feel sentenced to inhabit. Anyway, my long socks of which I have a large and colorful collection bring joy and hope to the guys (who have gone as far as to stop their cars to praise them). I live in a little Florida East Coast oceanside town full of retired people. The men usually dress very badly. Their wives look at me and wonder what their husbands would look like dressed like me. In the cities I get much less attention because I am much more normal, if quite a bit older that the stylish young.

The fashion industry has been trying hard to normalize tights for men. It hasn't quite made it but unisex tights wearing is now normal enough among the fashionable as to be not worthy of comment. The thin edge is athletic clothes. Running and bicycling compression tights are popular among male athletes, even weekend warriors.

As far as young boys wearing femme clothes wait until Halloween. I personally know a couple of 5 year old boys who are so smitten by Frozen that they will be wearing princess costumes next month and Prudence, the agony aunt at Slate, just scolded a woman who was worried that her boy would demand to wear a princess costume. She told the mother to make sure she told her son there was nothing wrong with him wearing princess clothes but that there were some ignorant people who might tease him. She suggested the mom should encourage her son to be brave and self confident.

Krisi
09-11-2014, 08:08 AM
This just goes to show that all the people who give advice that others won't notice what you are wearing are wrong. You noticed why would other people not notice.