PDA

View Full Version : Who remembers...

RitaJanelle1964
09-11-2014, 07:55 PM
...the L'eggs pantyhose displays at the grocery store? And the delivery trucks/vans they used to arrive in? I secretly always wanted to break into one of those vans and make off with a crate or two of hosiery! lol

Kate Simmons
09-11-2014, 07:58 PM
Most of the Vendor girls who stocked the displays always wore their pantyhose and either hot pants or miniskirts. Always a pleasant experience watching them.:)

Eringirl
09-11-2014, 08:02 PM
Ah yes, the L'eggs, eggs. The memories ;)

AngieStone
09-11-2014, 08:16 PM
I do remember those display racks, I always loved going into the store and seeing them there and looking at all the different styles and colors of pantyhose. For some reason I always liked the mist hose.

Linda E. Woodworth
09-11-2014, 08:37 PM
Yes, I do remember them very fondly.

Although I saw a lot of women working the vans, on occasions I also saw male drivers. That was a job for me!

candykowal
09-11-2014, 09:59 PM
I remember....and those iconic ladies who showed me how good I would look in them!!!

muslegirl
09-11-2014, 10:05 PM
Yes! Wow! Breathless! Wish i could take them all home! Early memories of wearing moms pantyhose (no sisters) probally 10 or 12... what a trill! Wanted to wear them always!!

Julie Denier
09-11-2014, 11:52 PM
Oh, yes! The displays, the ads, the predominance of ladies who actually wore hosiery then -- all influences on this young boy wondering why he wanted to wear them ;)

MissTee
09-12-2014, 12:32 AM
I remember like it was just yesterday. {deep sigh}

Eryn
09-12-2014, 12:58 AM
No need to remember. The last time Mimi and I were at the Hanes outlet store we found that they have brought back the "egg" packaging:

http://newsok.com/leggs-egg-packaging-is-back/article/3940041

GenieGirl
09-12-2014, 01:10 AM
Sigh....if only I were around to witness this....When did this phenomenon happen? From the looks of the van I guess the mid 80s?

annecwesley
09-12-2014, 05:10 AM
A box without hinges, key, or lid,
Yet golden treasure inside is hid.

Judy
09-12-2014, 05:34 AM
I remember them well! The bad part about the packaging was that they were hard to sneak in. It was difficult explaining that I had only bought my first pair because I needed an egg for a "project I was working on". I ended up throwing that pair out and keeping the "egg"! LOL

BLUE ORCHID
09-12-2014, 06:40 AM
Hi Rita, My wife was a big fan of L'eggs and our two girls had a collection of the eggs to play with.

Sarah Beth
09-12-2014, 07:37 AM
I bought some Legg's last week and had memories of those eggs flash through my head. But the ones I got last week were two pair in a sqared cardboard box, just not the same. I do so fondly remember the Leggs in the eggs, it's all my wife would wear, and in those days I still owned a motorcyle and I used the excuse in cold weather of wearing pantyhose to help keep my legs warm. I have often wondered how many of those other guys I knew who wore them riding bikes were really crossdressers.

alice clair
09-12-2014, 08:06 AM
I drive a tow truck and several years ago I was called to winch out a van at a local mall. When I got there it was a Legg's Van, after I got him out he told me he carried no money and offered to give me some hose for my wife, I gave him MY size and he gave me 10 pairs of them in three colors, it is not the first time I have been paid with something strange.

Krististeph
09-12-2014, 08:15 AM
I have often wondered how many of those other guys I knew who wore them riding bikes were really crossdressers.

Both on motorcycles and bicycles- tights work better than pantyhose, although for cycling, good support hose can help keep legs fresher (by reducing blood pooling) on hard rides (meaning 2 or more hours at 90% + effort).

I've always wanted to get a nice fitted leather outfit, and a smaller, more 'girl sized' bike (400-600cc) for some motorcycling CD fun.

Lexi Moralas
09-12-2014, 10:53 AM
Nothing beats a great pair of leggs!
I used to love to play with the empty eggs as a kid

RitaJanelle1964
09-12-2014, 03:22 PM
Sigh....if only I were around to witness this....When did this phenomenon happen? From the looks of the van I guess the mid 80s?
L'eggs pantyhose debuted in 1970. The eggs remained on the market until about the mid-'80s, IIRC.

Eryn
09-12-2014, 08:01 PM
Easter was never the same after Leggs stopped using their iconic egg packaging. At the time the packaging was under attack as wasteful by environmentalists so the company buckled under and went for cheaper cardboard packaging. Pantyhose were already on the wane at the time.

I recall a study that showed that, in its heyday, a large percentage of women's clothing budgets went to pantyhose. They really didn't realize it but the fact that they wore hose most of the time ensured that they would need replacements often so every grocery trip had a couple of eggs (or No Nonsense packets) added to the cart. Teens went through them even faster!

bimini1
09-12-2014, 09:05 PM
Just goes to show how much has changed. I loved L'eggs. Sheer Energy was my poison. And then later after the egg was done, they came out with these super comfy hose that never quite caught on called Sheer Comfort. I dug the hell out of some Underalls too.

I remember one day after one of my CD excursions and having almost been caught by my mother the actual L'eggs van drove up in our driveway and stopped for some time. I didn't know what the hell to make of it. I'm sure even at that tender age the universe was speaking to me in some way.

I bought some size Q a few years ago and they were too small. I have not grown that much since the good old days it seems a lot of women's stuff (shoes, etc) is getting smaller.

Vickie_CDTV
09-13-2014, 05:32 AM
What memories, as a boy growing up in the 1980s I remember them very well! All the sophisticated, well dressed women in the 80s wore pantyhose! Nowdays, instead of a big van, they could fill all the demand for them by delivering them on a bicycle with a basket on the front, alas...

The article about the eggs coming back was interesting, I noticed that there was a contest involved with them and it was open to "all female consumers over 21." I have to wonder if that was put in because they know that there are men who buy pantyhose... and would it even be legal to not allow someone to enter a sweepstakes because of their gender?

Deborah2B
09-13-2014, 03:57 PM
I remember a true story from many years ago about a man that tried to get a job with Leggs as a sales representative. He was denied the job because all of their sales representatives were females. All of their sales representatives were required to wear the product that they were selling. The man sued the company for sexual discrimination and won the case. He got hired under the condition that he had to wear shorts like the ladies and their product while doing sales. He agreed to do it and it kind of bit the company in the butt in one aspect. His sales were so much higher than every female sales representative at that time. All the females sales representatives complained he had an unfair advantage. His sales pitch was something along the lines of "If these pantyhose can make my legs look this good, imagine what they could do for yours."

Lacy PJs
09-13-2014, 04:31 PM
Nothing beats a great pair of leggs!
I used to love to play with the empty eggs as a kid

I remember that slogan too! Can't really disagree. :)

Lacy PJs