PDA

View Full Version : Femulating?

cassandra54
09-13-2014, 01:19 AM
You learn something new everyday. Apparently cross dressing is very popular in Japan. They call if femulating. I kind of like the term. What say you?

Jenniferathome
09-13-2014, 01:24 AM
Cross dressing is no more popular in Japan than it is anywhere else. I've lived there. I speak the language and know the culture. Don't take one simple blurb from the internet and happy it so liberally.

cassandra54
09-13-2014, 01:30 AM
Cross dressing is no more popular in Japan than it is anywhere else. I've lived there. I speak the language and know the culture. Don't take one simple blurb from the internet and happy it so liberally.

Well you would know. But it is an interesting term.

Rhonda Darling
09-13-2014, 07:34 AM
And, "Femulate" is the name of Stana's excellent and long running blog. She has been refining her look and style for a very long time and has used the term Femulate as a verb, noun, adverb, adjective, etc. or a very long time. You can find her at Femulate.org. Highly recommend.

Rhonda

Linda E. Woodworth
09-13-2014, 08:07 AM
Nope, I don't get it.

I have to think too much about it to figure out what it means.
It doesn't jump out at me when I say it.

Heck, I couldn't figure out how to pronounce it to begin with.

kimdl93
09-13-2014, 08:16 AM
There's been a femulate blog and website here in the states for quite a few years...google it and you'll see.

TanyaWonder
09-13-2014, 08:23 AM
To me, femulate feels like aLOT more accurate term to describe the actions I do regarding lady clothing a stuff.

Genny B
09-13-2014, 11:36 AM
I only lived there for eight years. I love the attitude of the Japanese of how women should dress, but do not remember cross dressing being popular at all. I got many strange looks! More than where I'm at now.

Genny B

JessicaJHall
09-13-2014, 12:11 PM
I invented the term up just after I got here a couple months ago, then my gorgeous friend Kate Haylette, pointed out that I didn't.
Like I told her, most of my brilliant ideas are pre-stolen (already been done). Used it in my sig. anyway!! Is it plagiarism if you didn't know??

Joni T
09-13-2014, 01:17 PM

Konnichiwa, Jennifersan. O genki desu-ka?
Joni

Sarina Curtis
10-22-2014, 10:22 PM

Having lived here for nearly 14 years I'd have to agree that it isn't any more common-place in Japan than it is anywhere else. I think cross dressing and cos-play get confused a lot in western circles. They definitely are more open towards costumes and I will say that they are more open to the notion of transgenderism despite being a VERY patriarchal society. There are a few TV celebrities that cross dress (i.e. Miss Mangrove and Matsuko Deluxe but the latter edges more towards being a drag queen) and theatres were women play every role (can't remember the name for it though) so you do see it a bit more than in western media. There's even a popular comedienne named Ai Huruna who is a fully transitioned MtF who has done a lot to lower barriers here as well. The Japanese still have a ways to go though, just like everywhere else.

Maria Blackwood
10-23-2014, 12:56 AM
Well *something* has to explain James from Team Rocket on Pokemon.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z153/turk29114/lol-1.png

Lynn Marie
10-23-2014, 01:04 AM
Femulating works for me. I've often used the term "emulating my dream girl" to answer that perennial question of whty I like to dress up.

Sarina Curtis
10-23-2014, 02:45 AM
Well *something* has to explain James from Team Rocket on Pokemon.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z153/turk29114/lol-1.png

I'd have to look to James mom about the tutu.

There is an increasingly dominant influence of the mother on Japanese kids. The dads are usually working long days and do their side of the parenting on Sundays. The moms have begun to assert their own more fashionable and often feminine ideals on their sons (especially if they don't have a daughter) and the feminization of the young boys here is a much stronger current here than in the west. Most Japanese men between 20-25 spend more time in front of a mirror than their female counterparts. Half of the fashion that is popular with young men right now would get most of the Canadian boys I know teased incessantly. I love that I can wear a bright pink t-shirt and socks with my jeans and have no-one bat an eye at me though.

Kate Simmons
10-23-2014, 04:32 AM
It doesn't matter what you call it. If you have fun doing it, that's the important thing. Let's not confuse the poor "label people" any more than we have to. :heehee::)

Mink
10-24-2014, 03:02 AM
Anything goes in Japan!

Mollyanne
10-24-2014, 07:39 AM
Cd'in by any other name is still cd'in!!!!!!!

Molly

sometimes_miss
10-24-2014, 11:33 AM
You learn something new everyday. Apparently cross dressing is very popular in Japan. They call if femulating. I kind of like the term. What say you?

Why, crossdressing is very popular here in America, too; just read this forum, or go to one of the TG festivals and see. Perhaps take a walk in NYC during a gay pride parade, you'll see lots of crossdressers as we take the opportunity to blend in with the crowd. Does that make it 'very popular' everywhere here? NOPE. But you'd believe it was when you see that on TV news or read the threads here.
Femulating. A rose by any other name.......

Judith96a
10-24-2014, 02:48 PM
And, "Femulate" is the name of Stana's excellent and long running blog. She has been refining her look and style for a very long time and has used the term Femulate as a verb, noun, adverb, adjective, etc. or a very long time. You can find her at Femulate.org. Highly recommend.

Rhonda

An excellent blog by a really lovely lady!

Beverley Sims
10-24-2014, 11:29 PM
The blog does make interesting reading but it is mostly cos play I think.