PDA

View Full Version : Attended a Renaissance Fesitval The Other Day

MissAmy
09-22-2014, 08:36 AM
It was my first time but I didn't dress up, not even as a male. But looking around I saw a lot of girls dressed up as maidens, princesses, and the costumes with the butterfly wings and really wish I could have gone as something like that.

Anyone gone en femme at a Renaissance Faire?

Joanncdnj
09-22-2014, 08:57 AM
I haven't, but it sure looks like a good reason and opportunity to dress........... The outfits are so elaborate, I'm sure we could blend pretty easily.....

bridget thronton
09-22-2014, 10:01 AM
I bought an Irish overdress, blouse, and skirt this summer. Need to hem the dress (hoop skirt not in my plans for this outfit) and then I hope to wear it at a Renaissance fair some time.

mariehart
09-22-2014, 10:53 AM
'Irish overdress' What's that? Never heard of one before and I live in Ireland! Anyway sounds like fun. We don't do renaissance fairs here either. Pity that. I'd love get into one of those historic dresses.
I was in the film studio during the making of 'The Tudors'. I actually stood in the lunch queue with Henry the Eight, Jonathan Rhys Myers, behind me. Never saw a star do that before. Nice guy. But I digress I also got to see the fabulous dresses the ladies wore. Stunning is the word. I was pretty jealous. Apparently they they made as per the real thing and were very expensive. The only odd thing was seeing Renaissance ladies standing around talking on their cell phones and smoking!

Yoshisaur
09-22-2014, 12:42 PM
I would just love to go to a renaissance festival in general, never got a chance to go

Butterfly Bill
09-22-2014, 01:39 PM
Yes I have. You could too.

Kim_Bitzflick
09-22-2014, 06:04 PM
It was my first time but I didn't dress up, not even as a male. But looking around I saw a lot of girls dressed up as maidens, princesses, and the costumes with the butterfly wings and really wish I could have gone as something like that.

Anyone gone en femme at a Renaissance Faire?

Where was it? Why didn't you invite me? I would have dressed up! PM me the next time.

Eryn
09-22-2014, 08:22 PM
I've gone to the original Renaissance Pleasure Faire in SoCal a couple of time with Persephone and our spouses. If you search my started threads you can read of our experiences there.

It's a great place for a CDer. Nobody is going to pay us much attention when there are fairies and vikings striding about! We've always had a wonderful time. I've never dressed in Renaissance costume for the event, but find that a boho sort of skirt and blouse work nicely.

BLUE ORCHID
09-22-2014, 08:24 PM
Hi Amy, We have a big Ren. Fest just South of Baltimore maybe this year I can make it to it.:daydreaming:

Sometimes Steffi
09-22-2014, 09:39 PM
I've gone to the Maryland Renaissance Festival 3 times in female period costume, plus a couple of other times in boy mode with my family.

The first two times I went, I rented a wench costume there. In fact, the first time I ever went out en femme was at the Renaissance Festival. It game me an excuse to get help buying some makeup (at Ulta), buying my first wig, and accessorizing, in particular, buying an appropriate Renn-styled purse.

It was actually pretty cool. Most people didn't even take a second glance, but a number of girls told me I looked good. It was nice to hear, but I know they lied, but, nonetheless ... Oh, and while I didn't get ma'am'ed, I did get a m'lady.

I'm planning on going again within the next couple of weeks.

When I went last year with a CD friend and her wife, they let me borrow one of their extra costumes.

Violetgray
09-22-2014, 11:43 PM
I also frequently appear at the Maryland Renaissance Festival dressed. I even have video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHC6QtzjGCk&list=UUOQUkSoVPZkfsXtMWLoZV5Q

bridget thronton
09-23-2014, 01:24 AM
Http://www.plussizecostumeshop.com/ren-irish-packages.html

I bought the one in forest green

Persephone
09-23-2014, 01:36 AM
As Eryn has already mentioned, the four of us regularly attend the SoCal Ren Faire. We're always en femme and most years I do wear a costume. It is a lot of fun, there are alway interesting things to see and to do, and, of course, there is the shopping!

Hugs,
Persephone.

Krististeph
09-23-2014, 02:18 AM
We have one supposedly in Bristol, WI, just over the border. I was dragged to it recently by some friends, we did not dress up, but I really liked the whole deal. I could definitely see myself getting into the spirit, either male or (preferably) en femme. I did not see any CDs this last time, but i was not so intent on that as I was the female costumes that were there. A good thing I did not bring spending money...

I could definitely see myself in a few female outfits- from shopgirl to lady/princess to warrior- but the clothing would have to be good quality- no cheap costume type stuff. Something to consider, including fixing up an antique motorcycle to ride up to the faire... (yes, i know they did not have motorcycles back then, but it is in keeping with the retrospective motif)

Beverley Sims
09-23-2014, 09:42 AM
Yes, and no one knew either.
Absolutely fabulous.
It was in the UK about five years ago.

Nadya
09-23-2014, 11:19 PM
I would love to dress up for a renaissance fair. It would be so much fun but I don't know of any out here. :/

Jean. Ann
09-29-2014, 03:48 PM
There is a Ren Fair at Waxahatchie Texas
Would any care to get together and go ?