PDA

View Full Version : I'm out lol!

Jessika
09-22-2014, 03:14 PM
Well I finally did it! I came out to my family, and a lot of my friends! Honestly I thought it would be a total disaster but it went AMAZINGLY! I found out that my brother is also Gender Dysphoric!! Needless to say we are closer than we have ever been! It really is a relief to have done all of this, I've been catastrophizing this event in my head for so long I started to doubt whether or not I would ever be able to transition. I haven't started hrt or anything yet I still need to take care of a few things but I'm not in a rush! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Leanne2
09-22-2014, 03:24 PM
Good for you Jessika! What a relief it is to face our biggest fears and survive. Have you had any gender counseling yet? Even though some doctors don't require it anymore, in my experience it has taught me a lot. And be forewarned, even though you had a great coming out experience, some people won't understand and they will shun you. You see, they won't want their children to catch it from you. But for now, enjoy life! You have a lot of living to do. Leanne

Chari
09-22-2014, 03:25 PM
That is great to read your family and friends are accepting and understanding of your feminine side! Please continue to go slow, communicate with them, and always be comfortable and confident in who you are. Enjoy.

Princess Grandpa
09-22-2014, 03:38 PM
That is awesome! May this be the beginning of your happily ever after.

Hug
Rita

Kimberly Kael
09-22-2014, 03:45 PM
Keep in mind that some initial discussions go well, complete with declarations of support, only to reverse course within days or weeks. It's unfortunate but some people whose initial impulse is to be supportive find that conversations with others sway them. Their initial positivity is somewhat tentative and then they witness resistance, and discover that they don't have answers for the world's negativity. It's not their battle to fight, so they come back with "tough love" trying to spare you the pain of rejection. Best case when this happens is that you can convince them it's important to you. Worst case is they cave to peer pressure and dig in their heels against you because they don't want to be accused of enabling your decisions.

... so be on the lookout for signs that this is going on. Hopefully it won't be an issue for you, but if it is you'll be better prepared by understanding the dynamic.

arbon
09-22-2014, 03:50 PM
I'm curious as to why you would start telling people before doing anything else? Are you seeing a therapist?

Are you going to start presenting as a woman around all these people now?

Jessika
09-22-2014, 04:02 PM
Yes I have been seeing a therapist for quite some time now. And I will not be presenting as a female, I AM a female lol! Just in the wrong body!

stefan37
09-22-2014, 04:05 PM
You go girl!

Tonya Rose
09-22-2014, 04:09 PM
you go gurl! i know what a big relief it is to just be yourself... my step daughter recently cought me in a dress. acepted and embraced me. and now we have a comon ground. we share make up.. nail polish clothes .. etc..and are planning our first shopping trip togather. i nevver would have thought my step daughter would be my gurlfriend. but it is so nice to have someone to talk to that is not judging me... im 45. shes35 we have a lot in common and its sutch a reliefe not to have to hide from her anymore...

any advice on my new found freedom?

Annaliese
09-22-2014, 04:35 PM
It good that everything is working out, it wonderful that you have your brother to share this with.

Jorja
09-22-2014, 04:53 PM
The others have mentioned that there might be some rejection by some as time goes on. Heed the warnings. It is quite common. Go slow and make your moves when you feel comfortable, not when someone else wants you too. If you are going to eventually transition, start making a plan to follow. Don't carve it in stone or write it in blood though. There is so much to do you need a guide and must become flexible when your plans don't quite workout.

Krisi
09-22-2014, 04:58 PM
I wouldn't make the mistake of thinking everything is just fine now. You may find that they are not as "accepting" as you think after one or two conversations. Once this sinks in they may not be so good with it.

Jessika
09-22-2014, 05:33 PM
I suppose I need to revise that amazing. It went very well with MOST of the people that I told. I had a few friends that were pretty nasty about it! I guess I should say ex-friends, they've been blacklisted lol! But in the end I simply can't put on my "man costume" anymore. If they can't accept it then their loss!

Jorja
09-23-2014, 12:08 PM
Jessika, I just wanted to say, do not totally count out (blacklist) friends and family that do not agree with your decision to be you. From my own experience and many others, I have seen these friends and family members reunite with the person months and years after their announcement. It is not easy but it happens all the time.

Jessika
09-23-2014, 12:36 PM
Right, I totally agree. This is a process that I have to adapt and evolve with.