PDA

View Full Version : An elite group

Melanie B
09-24-2014, 04:57 AM
I guess that quite a few of us wish we were shorter. I'm pretty certain that I could blend better - maybe even pass - if I were 6 inches shorter. So I tried to find out what percentage of GGs are as tall as I am. And in the process, I stumbled across a blog written by a GG who is 6ft3in. She said:

But knowing that I am one in an elite group of only 6000 women puts a smile on my face. It really puts into perspective how rare, special and blessed I am; we are to be so tall. Knowing exactly just how odd and out of the ordinary I am makes me feel like I can never be depressed about being different and neither should you. Because who wants to be ordinary?

I just thought it was interesting. The whole thing is here:
http://thejunoesque.com/2012/03/24/less-than-1/

charlenesomeone
09-24-2014, 05:03 AM
A nice attitude to have. We girls need that same attitude.
It applies no matter how we choose to present, be happy with who
you are!
Hugs

mariehart
09-24-2014, 05:42 AM
I'm 5'8" and easily the tallest in my family. But the kids seem to be getting taller all the time even the girls. Better diet I suppose. Soon six foot women will be a lot more common.

NancyJ
09-24-2014, 05:55 AM
Melanie, great post! I've certainly spent too much time wishing that I was shorter and had a more traditionally feminine stature. However, as such wishes don't come true, we are best off accepting not only who we are, but what shape we are starting with. At 6'2 plus loving to wear heels plus broad shoulders, I make for a big gal. So thanks for this link--enjoyed it. Nancy

Beverley Sims
09-24-2014, 12:00 PM
I am happy to be in the 5'7" 150 lbs category.
Size twelve to fourteen. :)

StarrOfDelite
09-24-2014, 12:04 PM
Thanks for supplying the graph chart. I am 5-11 (180 cm), and was surprised to see that the 99th percentile begins at 5-10. I probably see a GG who is as tall as I am, give or take an inch either direction, about three or four times a week.

Jaymees22
09-24-2014, 12:26 PM
Usually tall women are attractive, so you tall girls have to try harder. I'm 5'7" tall and manage to wear a size 8 so I fell lucky to fall into the norm for women. I think crossdressers in general are an elite group as we are a very small percentage of the population.

Teresa
09-24-2014, 12:54 PM
Melanie,
When I photographed weddings I did one where the groom was 6' 6" and the bride 6' 3", they made one of the most elegant couples I ever worked with !
The only problem is when shooting close ups you should do it at eye level, being only 5' 7" and using a Bronica camera with a waist level viewfinder proved rather difficult ! Spent most of my time balancing on my camera case to get the shots much to the amusement of everyone !!

samantha rogers
09-24-2014, 01:14 PM
I may have told this story before...but I worried for years about passing at six three. Kept me miserably closeted for years. Last winter my wife and I were in a local mall and ran into an attractive family. Nice looking dad, two gorgeous kids and a very pretty mom who looked me eye to eye wearing flats. She even had a very similar build. I wanted to hug her..of course I didnt, lol. We happened to be going the same way so I had the chance to observe her for awhile. Just as I was beginning to remember that this was probably a once in a lifetime thing, I turned around and bumped into another tall slender woman who also matched my height to the inch. I was now totally dumbfounded, and began to wonder if a womens basketball team was cruising the mall that day. Lol
Regardless of odds or coincidence, I have never worried about my height as a factor again.

AngelaYVR
09-24-2014, 01:48 PM
There is a gorgeous model for the UK lingerie firm Kiss Me Deadly who is well over 6' and a UK10/US12 in shoes.

Kate Simmons
09-24-2014, 01:53 PM
I guess if we feel we are elite and have self confidence, that is half the battle, isn't it? :battingeyelashes::)

Bria
09-24-2014, 02:07 PM
I'm 6' 3" (or at least used to be) and have a daughter that is 6' and loves to wear platform shoes that make her taller than me. My sister had a college student from Brazil living with her for a couple of years, this young lady is taller than I am and played volley ball on the college team, oh and BTW she is drop dead gorgeous. I wish I could look half as good as she does when I dress!!

Hugs, Bria

Taylor Dame
09-24-2014, 07:04 PM
I work at a college and notice that a good number of women are about 5'11" or taller, and they are not all on the basketball team. Perhaps my 6' height is not a total give away.

kimdl93
09-24-2014, 07:24 PM
I really appreciate her perspective and also the links to tall fashion finds!

Seana Summer
09-24-2014, 09:43 PM
I like being 6'2" I think I could present well female at that height. I just wish it didn't come with huge feet! They could stand to be smaller male or female.

CherylFlint
09-25-2014, 02:36 AM
I'm 6'1". which is why my "heels" are only 3/4"
I'm just a tall girl, which is why my wig lays flat on the top of my head and goes to a pony-tail, usually.
I don't usually wear dresses. I wear skirts that show-off my legs, long sleeved blouses, a neckless and other stuff that tends to "shorten" the look.
But one thing I've learned is that, on the whole, on average, tall women have better posture than tall men.
I can "pass" and I think good posture is part of the reason.
Interesting height chart.
Who wants to be ordinary indeed!

Persephone
09-25-2014, 02:38 AM
Eryn and I have been out in public many times, and while I'm 5'6" tall she is around 6'2". No problems and we both seem to pass well. After watching her interact with people I've definitely concluded that attitude counts way more than altitude.

Hugs,
Persephone.

kimdl93
09-25-2014, 05:50 AM
Eryn is about my height, although I am eternally envious of her slim physique. Though I am lacking those long, lean lines, I feel very comfortable going out and, from what I can observe, generate very little reaction...this despite my height or stature.

samantha rogers
09-25-2014, 08:12 AM
Ha, I just looked at the chart again, and at my age 95% of women are 5'6" or less, a good seven inches shorter than me...before I put on heels...tee hee. I suppose it is a good thing I don't care.:battingeyelashes:
I mean, really, are we living to care about what others think, or are we trying to make the best of the time we have?
Your answer may be different than mine. :)

Krisi
09-25-2014, 09:01 AM
It's best to be happy with what you have because there's not much you can do to change it (height, that is). It's true that there are some tall genetic women around and it's also true that the population (in the USA, anyway) seems to be getting taller, but if you look at the six foot plus tall women, we still don't look like them. Most are much lighter build, thinner arms and legs, etc. and smaller hands and feet. A six foot tall male won't look like a six foot tall female without a lot of work.