PDA

View Full Version : Casa susanna

CONSUELO
09-25-2014, 12:09 PM
i recently came across a fascinating clip on You Tube about a transvestite resort near New York( search Casa Susanna on You Tube). It thrived during the 1950's and 1960's and was run by a man in New York city who published a magazine for cross dressers. You could go there and relax completely en femme. What is really fascinating to me is that they would lead a very feminine lifestyle involving what were regarded in those times as "feminine" pursuits such as knitting and cooking.

The revival in interest came after two "flea market" dealers came across a book of photos. They published them in book form in 2005 and since then a lot more information on Casa Susanna has come to light.

I have often wondered what it would be like to set up a club for cross dressers in a major city where transvestites could go and relax, and for those who have to lead a secretive life, leave their clothes etc. I once heard of a club like that in Tokyo called the Elizabeth Club.

When my daughter and I were living alone, she said that I would make a great housewife as I seemed to love cooking and cleaning. I also find that I like to decorate in a more feminine style than most males would like. I would have loved Casa Susanna.

Anyway, I would be interested in any more information on Casa Susanna. Cross Dressing conferences are a great outlet but a private 50 acre retreat sounds even better as a place to really relax and be completely feminine.

Any thoughts?

Natasha V
09-25-2014, 12:18 PM
That is an awesome idea I would love to go to a place like this with beautiful gardens classes on cooking dressing or relaxing by a pool with nice music playing in the background. Weekend retreat type or monthly cabins.

cassandra54
09-25-2014, 01:39 PM
This is crazy, incredible and amazing all at the same time. I read a couple of articles about Casa Susanna and watched the video. And to think that this all began 60 years ago. It really stirred up a few thoughts and reinforced some things that I've thought for some time.

1. We tend to think of people in the early to mid 20th as being very conservative, and narrow-minded. I realized after my mother passed away some years ago that this was not the case. My mother and father both had affairs before, during and in the period they were separated before they finally divorced. I remember that when I was 4 or 5, my older sisters used to think it was fun to dress me up like a girl. Of course I was interested. But now I realize that my mother went along with it, because she was so liberated and free.
2. We've all heard about J Edgar Hoover being a cross dresser. How many more of us were there? In the article it says that Susanna's wife owned a wig store and wrote a column for transvestites. She advertised for the resort in the newspaper and she helped girls with their makeup and hair. Of course they were safe in a resort somewhere in the Catskills for the weekend, but still they got to be girls and have fun. Some of us might thin that the whole idea of dressing in women's clothes is something that's coming of age or a new uncharted territory simply isn't so. The reality is that men have been doing this for hundreds and maybe thousands of years. The mere fact that Susanna was married, and had a wife that was not only accepting, but helped her and others is astounding.
3. Just think how much courage these men had. To pack their girl things, get in a car and drive for several hours for a weekend must have taken a lot. Remember this was back in the day when we didn't have cell phones and cars were not that reliable. First of all to buy a magazine, then see the advertisement and then plan and execute the weekend must have been terrible difficult. But yet the succeeded. Which brings me to my next point.
4. I've always thought that the percentages of men who dress like women is way more that we could ever realize. Just think, for this to have even taken place back then, there needed to be people that were interested and when you consider that only some did, they were the tip of the iceberg if you will. Think about how many kept it a secret in their own homes.
5. In a lot of ways we've evolved. Many of us are going out in public. And many of us have wives or girlfriends that are supportive. We no longer have to hide.
6. It shows in the video, that these girls like to dress and act like everyday women. They thought cooking, cleaning and enjoying a nice quiet evening were things that made them feel feminine. I couldn't agree more. Wearing a dress and hose and going to the movies is very nice, but wearing shorts and a tank top and cleaning house or cooking is truly a feminine experience as well.

Thank you Casa Susanna for the little bit of history I've learned here today. You've inspired me.

Kate Simmons
09-25-2014, 01:39 PM
Someone said something about this here previously. Too bad I was just a little kid at the time. It would have been neat. About 10 years ago CDS I think it was had big get togethers in the Poconos but in recent years had moved it to Rehoboth beach in Deleware. :)

Heidi Stevens
09-25-2014, 01:48 PM
The current Broadway Play Casa Valentina is based on the exploits of Casa Susana.

Vickie_CDTV
09-25-2014, 02:07 PM
Susanna wrote for Virginia Prince's Transvestia magazine back in the 60s and 70s (I have a number of them on my shelf behind me.)

You can read more about Susanna here
http://www.freewebs.com/a2goblue/

J Edgar Hoover being a TV is just urban legend... it has never even been completely proven he was gay, although it is highly probable.
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2423/was-j-edgar-hoover-a-cross-dresser

LelaK
09-26-2014, 12:41 AM
Might as well make Casa Susanna a chain store for every town.

Beverley Sims
09-26-2014, 09:10 AM
Lela,
Some entrepreneur just might do that.

For others, the conferences and support groups are the best outlet these days.

heather ann martin
09-26-2014, 09:13 AM
That must have been such a wonderful place for the girls to just be themselves for a while.

Badwolf
09-27-2014, 08:57 PM
I thought I saw something about a place like this in the UK just a few weeks ago. Either way with our numbers, and the fact that we can be in a lot of the world without major issues means that this won't be too common. I wouldn't be surprised if this exists near major cities though, some more discreet than others.