PDA

View Full Version : Isha is going to work today (well sort of)

Marcelle
09-26-2014, 09:58 AM
Hi all,

As some may know I have come out as TG at work and have been given the support of my military chain of command. Now this does not mean I will be going to actual work place as Isha as that would just be me in combats with a wig and that is not pretty. Besides there is nothing in current policy which allows a TG/CD to dress in the opposite gender uniform for purpose of work. However, a unique opportunity has presented itself and I will be taking advantage of it. Since I came out, I also discovered the Canadian military is rewriting it's TG policy so I called the desk officer and set an appointment to discuss it with her a week back. It went well and we discussed my participation in the policy writing board. So today I am meeting with her supervisor to discuss the TG/CD side of the spectrum as the current policy does take us into account. My intent is to ensure we have the same rights of protection as the current policy affords TG/TS members. I asked if she minds if I attended as Isha as I feel more comfortable discussing my TG side dressed as such . . . she agreed. So I will be going to a military establishment for the first time as Isha to discuss something near and dear to me . . . rights. I decided to wear a new dress as it is such a lovely warm day today . . . wish me luck as I am heading out to my meeting now. :)

Hugs

Isha

Allison Chaynes
09-26-2014, 10:01 AM
Wonderful! Good luck Isha!

samantha rogers
09-26-2014, 10:03 AM
Wow, Isha, this is so awesome! You must be so excited (and nervous) Well, you look amazing (as always) and I am sure you will do yourself and all of us proud. Good luck, honey! I am so proud of you for what you are doing! You rock, Sis!

Darlene-VA
09-26-2014, 10:05 AM
That is very cool and I really like that dress.

Natasha V
09-26-2014, 10:05 AM
Good Luck, Show them we are not just for show hun. Love Natasha

Alice Torn
09-26-2014, 10:09 AM
You have guts! But times have changed. Militaries have changed. Sadly, i was discharged from the U.S. AF for wanting Saturdays off, for sabbath rest.

i could never have imagined military allowing cd rights in my lifetime! You look fantastic, beautiful dress! Best wishes there.

heather ann martin
09-26-2014, 10:17 AM
Best wishes. You look lovely.

BethCD
09-26-2014, 10:21 AM
Isha, you look great.

Tracii G
09-26-2014, 10:24 AM
I'm so proud of you Sis.
Please let us know how it went.

Julie Denier
09-26-2014, 10:25 AM
What a great opportunity! You look terrific -- best of luck ;)

Bria
09-26-2014, 10:26 AM
Isha, you are leading the way again for the rest of us, THANKS! But then I guess the military has invested a lot in making you a leader, soooooo we don't expect any less!

You look great , I hope all goes well!

Hugs, Bria

AngelaYVR
09-26-2014, 10:30 AM
Isha, I must say I was not aware that there were differences between male and female uniforms anymore, I thought it had all gone unisex. But how very, very brave for you to walk into a military establishment like that! Good luck!

Angela xx

stacycoral
09-26-2014, 10:44 AM
Miss Isha, girl you look lovely, I so happy for you I glad to hear that your military is moving forward on this item, being x-military, I always had to keep it very low,by the way girl did you see my thread on my coming Halloween costume. I will be thinking about you and hoping that you can show them that your the same person dressed either way and can do the mission at hand. Can't wait to hear how it comes out. hugs your friend Stacy

Claire Cook
09-26-2014, 10:47 AM
Isha, Yes, all the best with this. It sounds as though the Canadian forces are more enlightened than those south of the border. And yes again, what a great looking dress!

mykell
09-26-2014, 10:48 AM
isha is as isha does, paving the way again, you do rock that dress, kudos for volunteering your time with the board.

best of luck today....

UNDERDRESSER
09-26-2014, 10:54 AM
Excellent news!

That is a fantastic dress and suits you perfectly! I want to get an Indian style tunic in something like those colours, cut for a men's frame, don't have or want forms. Stunning look, Go Isha!

Alana Lucerne
09-26-2014, 10:55 AM
I am sure you will do us proud. And you look great.

Alana

docrobbysherry
09-26-2014, 10:55 AM
How inspiring and brave of u, Isha! I hope it all goes well for u? Obviously Canada is lite years ahead of the US military.

I doubt I'll hear in MY lifetime someone say that they were told by an official of the US military, "Sure. Show up crossdressed. That will be just fine!"

Jennifer-GWN
09-26-2014, 11:08 AM
Wow...what an opportunity. I'm sure you'll do very well. And that dress. Super a far cry from standard issue uniform. Was actually hoping to see that picture. you'll represent us well and are a great ambassador.

Kate Simmons
09-26-2014, 11:25 AM
Hotsy totsy. You look stunning my friend. :thumbsup::)

natcrys
09-26-2014, 12:01 PM
That is so awesome! Let us know how to things progress! :)

Oh.. and cool dress, btw! :)

Lorileah
09-26-2014, 12:44 PM
I...love...that...dress

Heidi Stevens
09-26-2014, 01:15 PM
Well i do know one thing, Isha. That dress is definitely NOT cammo!!! I'm having late 60's, early 70's Fashback! I was a competitve swimmer back then and one of my practice speedos had that pattern and colors in it. When my mom said why such a wild suit, I told her it was so they could find me if I went to the bottom. I figure thats some of the tactic you're using with that dress, you will not be missed in a sea of cammo in that outfit. Way to go!

Melissa in SE Tn
09-26-2014, 01:15 PM
Great story, great person , great dress. Educate them , Isha. Peace, mel

Eringirl
09-26-2014, 01:17 PM
You go Girl!! Wow, that is amazing. So very proud and impressed with what you are doing.

BTW....if that dress suddenly goes missing, you will have to drive 2 hours to get it back!!! You look so amazing...

Erin

Melissa18
09-26-2014, 01:18 PM
Hi Isha
Good luck with the meeting. You look lovelly in that dress. I love the colors
Hugs adelaide

Barbara Ella
09-26-2014, 01:18 PM
You will be the hit of the meeting, in every way possible. So proud of you girl.

Barbara

lexivanderpump
09-26-2014, 01:34 PM
Isha,
Good for you!
Please keep us posted as to how it went. I'm cheering for you although it is difficult to do cartwheels and backflips in 9 inch heels.

Love,
Lexi V.

Teresa
09-26-2014, 01:35 PM
Isha,
I'm so proud of you taking on the responsibilty of putting the case for our spectrum of TG/CDers ! The military have realised that's in their interest to accomodate the personal preferences of their personell ! These days they can't ignore it because they risk passing up valid members of their forces when they compete in the job market !

I would have fought for my country no matter what I wore and who I was shoulder to shoulder with !

Your dress is really stunning but I hope they don't expect you to wear it as a replacement for your combats when they're worn out !

Annaliese
09-26-2014, 01:36 PM
Please let us know the out come of your meeting.

Rachael Leigh
09-26-2014, 01:58 PM
Isha what cool opportunity how great for you I wish you well and I'm sure you will be great.
Hugs Leigh

charlenesomeone
09-26-2014, 02:05 PM
Isha,
You look great. It's great they are open to your opinion.
After Action report please.
Hugs
Char

Gretchen_To_Be
09-26-2014, 02:26 PM
Hi Isha. You are quite the trailblazer! I spent 25 years in the US military and can't imagine doing what you are doing. I really admire your conviction and courage.

paulaprimo
09-26-2014, 03:04 PM
yeh isha, so proud of you and wishing you the best!
love the dress and you look awesome! :)

TinaZ
09-26-2014, 03:18 PM
Wow! You are truly a hero, Isha! Keep us updated.

Donnagirl
09-26-2014, 03:28 PM
I'm only going to echo the chorus of 'wows'... What a mix of courage and conviction.

Requal Jo
09-26-2014, 03:28 PM
Go for it Isha. It is great that the military is taking this approach. It would never have happened in my day.

There is a case in the Australian Army of a Major coming out. Her name is Kate McCloud. She now works fully enfemme within the Defence Force.

The ABC TV (Australia) did a program on her coming out recently. You may find it on the net.

Lydia Hamilton
09-26-2014, 03:44 PM
Great news for you. when I was in the military, 1969-1994, even a whisper of any such activity brought out the witch hunters and dishonorable discharges. But, times are finally changing, thank God. Enjoy your opportunity! Oh yes, the outfit is smashing. Lydia

Katey888
09-26-2014, 05:35 PM
Good luck Isha - I hope your day went well...?

And I'd be interested to hear how entry went via the guard post with your ID card... surely a double take or three...? ;)

Katey x

Marcelle
09-26-2014, 09:54 PM
Hi all,

The meeting went really well! I have been brought on to the writing board as a "subject matter expert" of sorts to bring a different perspective to the process. I guess when the original policy was written it was patched together last minute when the military first accepted TG/TS and as such it was written to direct supervisors on accommodation during transition. However, they have come to realize that TG is far more complex concept and that the policy is out of date. So I will begin working in conjunction with the desk officer and the board to make the policy more inclusive and this includes those who are TG but will not transition but still wish to present female some of the time. It is unlikely the uniform policy will change but the concept of presenting as the desired gender when civilian clothing is authorized is a distinct possibility. Not saying things will change over night as policy documents can take up to a year to pass final signature but at least the ball is moving down the court and I have the distinct pleasure of helping . . . very psyched and very happy to help pave the way for others. :) I also have permission to attend any working groups as Isha should I wish to.

Being in a military building "en femme" was shall we say was . . . interesting. The building in question was administrative in nature but it houses a lot of people I know whom I ran into and interacted with during the day. One female friend literally ran into me coming out the elevator (she knows about Isha but has never met her). I said "hi" and it took her a second to register recognition and then she hugged me and said "I never would have guessed it was you if I just passed you on the street" . . . I guess a bit of validation of sorts. I ran into a few males I know who also know about Isha and both conversations were a bit awkward but after a few minutes they warmed up and we just talked like we always have.

Needless to say it was a great day and I am still feeling the high of the excitement of being out at work (well sort of at work).

Isha, I must say I was not aware that there were differences between male and female uniforms anymore, I thought it had all gone unisex.

Hi Angela,

There is still a difference in the dress uniforms but the combats are unisex.

. . . And I'd be interested to hear how entry went via the guard post with your ID card... surely a double take or three...?

Hi Katey,

Well it was a bit of an experiment as the routine to gain access is you hand over you military ID and your civilian driver's licence. The military ID is verified and the licence is kept until you return the building pass. When I first handed in the ID the guard looked at me, then the ID . . . looked puzzled . . . looked at me again then back to the ID. I then said "Trust me that is me". He shrugged his shoulders looked again and sail "Well I'll be . . . it is you" then handed me the pass and said "Have a good day ma'am".

Hugs all,

Isha

samantha rogers
09-26-2014, 10:36 PM
Isha, you have me smiling ear to ear and laughing ot loud with happiness. Good for you, sis! Good for all of us.:hugs:

Dani0948
09-26-2014, 10:48 PM
Isha,

I've followed your posts since the beginning. I think I speak for most of us in saying how proud we are of you.

Please keep it up.

Dani

Amy Fakley
09-26-2014, 11:38 PM
wow!
I don't really have more to add than that ... just WOW!
and a "you go girl!" :-)

Jannis
09-26-2014, 11:40 PM
I can echo what everyone else has said. We are all very proud of you. Huge thanks ang hugs all around.

Donnagirl
09-26-2014, 11:41 PM
You're a inspiration to us all Isha...

LeslieSD
09-27-2014, 12:03 AM
Wow! Wow! That's courage!

Katey888
09-27-2014, 03:27 AM
:cool:

Now you're an SME you should be angling for another rung up that greasy pole... ;)

Or is it just the case that your bigger gratification will be able to swish and dazzle when others are a little more drab...? :)

I am sure you'll do a great job for all your TG service members... :cheer:

Katey x

flatlander_48
09-27-2014, 05:10 AM
I'm not Canadian, but...

Thank You!

Claire Cook
09-27-2014, 05:19 AM
Isha dear,

You have indeed raised the bar and set an example for everyone. Would that other employers and organizations would be so enlightened ... and be so fortunate to have someone like you. As are we. Thank you so much!!

Dana does shopping
09-27-2014, 05:41 AM
Curious; what aspect of Your Military training would you say better prepared you for this task at hand?

JuliaM
09-27-2014, 07:11 AM
Wow what an amazing opportunity! Your actions will impact the lives of others...in a positive way...you go girl!

Curious if you alter your voice at all when out? Does it depend on audience?

Christen
09-27-2014, 08:12 AM
Dear Isha,

I've said it before and it looks like I'm just going to have to keep saying it, you are inspirational, totally! And my God! if you're going to make an entrance, that is the dress to wear. Absolutely love it!!
Really, really hope it goes well for you.

Christen x

Amanda M
09-27-2014, 08:23 AM
Isha - leading from the front as usual. Many years ago in a country far far away, I had a CO who was a Major in the Canadian Army. Let me tell you he was one of the best officers I have ever met. Just look at the number of replies on this thread - that will tell you how we regard you. Go for it!

Kris Avery
09-27-2014, 08:25 AM
Well, once you have the Canadian military fixed up, head south...:devil:

Beverley Sims
09-27-2014, 08:33 AM
Isha,
Back in my service days we would have been tarred and feathered by rednecks that did not understand.
There was an underground of course and I survived that brilliantly by being off base all the time.

Of course there were understanding people but the "law" was different.

Yes I will wish you all the luck you would want to wish yourself.
Walk proud and let your personality shine through. :)

Tina B.
09-27-2014, 08:33 AM
Isha, you are wonder woman! Such a brave thing to do, but it must have felt great getting a "have a nice day mam" by the guard at the gate.
I guess they where serious if they put you on the team, congratulations. And thank you for your service to both Canada, and to our community.

Melissa18
09-27-2014, 08:54 AM
Thank you Isha,
You're a courageous lady, youre not only doing it for the Canadians , you're doing it for all of us girls,
Thank you
Hugs Adelaide

Stephanie Sometimes
09-27-2014, 09:12 AM
Nice work Isha! I will bet you turned a few heads in that amazing, cute dress. Nothing like making an introduction that nobody can miss, eh? Looking forward to hearing more of your co-workers reactions as time goes on.

I admire your courage and your willingness to stand up for your TG rights and therefore all our TG rights even if we are miles away in another country. It’s really pretty awesome what you did.

Thanks Sister and hugs,
Stephanie

Nadya
09-27-2014, 09:15 AM
I'm glad you had such a great experience. That was quite brave of you. I don't know if I could do the same in my workplace but your story is bound to inspire others. Thank you.

SmoothLegs
09-27-2014, 09:21 AM
Wow Isha , I'm speechless , I now know you are a inspiration !

ReineD
09-27-2014, 09:30 AM
Wow Isha, that's amazing!! Good for you and congratulations! :)

I also love the dress, it looks great on you.

Jamie Lynn
09-27-2014, 09:34 AM
Congratulations Isha! You've definitely joined the "Torchbearer" ranks and should be proud! You're a great inspirational person! Love the dress and you look good!

suchacutie
09-27-2014, 09:57 AM
Some people in the right place at the right time can't seem to muster the intestinal fortitude to seize the moment. We are all so very impressed with your courage and strength. And that's besides looking terrific at the same time!

Nyla F
09-27-2014, 10:25 AM
They should give you the Medal of Bravery for what you have done! I'm super impressed.

Nataliebabe
09-27-2014, 10:41 AM
Isha, you are my hero! :)

JessicaJHall
09-27-2014, 12:05 PM
Isha, thanks so much for sharing your amazing story from the CD front lines. As is often the case, the US could learn much from Canada!! Keep 'em coming girl!!

Suzanne F
09-27-2014, 12:41 PM
Isha
Thank you so much for your efforts on behalf of all transgendered people. I love your openness about Isha. It is so wonderful that you present us in a favorable light. Everyone you come in contact with as Isha must confront the fact here is a wonderful person who happens to be transgender. I applaud your courage and hope that I am doing my part also.
Love
Suzanne

bridget thronton
09-27-2014, 01:14 PM
Well done and thank you for you service

Bria
09-27-2014, 02:54 PM
Isha, I knew that you would make a good impression. It may remain to be seen how much influence you are able to have on the final version of document, but at least you will have had a say in its formation and hopefully steer it in the proper direction. Just as with legislation in parliament or congress sometimes you don't get exactly what you would prefer, but you have the opportunity to have a positive impact.

I am confident that you will be a great ambassador for the TG community. I would only wish that the US military (and civilians) would look at the Canadian policy as a model for modernization.

Hugs, Bria

Kara in CT
09-27-2014, 03:29 PM
Awesome! I wish I had an ounce of your courage. As others have said, you are an inspiration to all of us.

Michelle789
09-27-2014, 03:35 PM
Isha,

I am really happy for you that you are able to have the courage to come out and to have opportunities like this to dress. You look really gorgeous in that outfit :)

SamanthaSometimes
09-27-2014, 04:58 PM
You rock girl! What an amazing day for you. The Canadian military is very fortunate to have such a capable SME to help rewrite their policy. I think your smile in the original picture says it all. BTW - the dress could be used as cammo if you were in a club with other hot girls. You would blend right in and we would never notice.

Marcelle
09-27-2014, 09:05 PM
Hi all,

Thanks very much for all your kind comments and support. I will definitely keep you informed as time proceeds but I see this as a laborious project with lots of push back especially when we begin to tackle the rights of TG/CD to present "en femme" at work and I can't even fathom the bathroom issue.

I really don't see myself as doing anything that brave as the Canadian Military has safeguards in place to protect my job (i.e., they can't fire me on the grounds of being TG). As such the only thing I am risking is some personal embarrassment and I live that each day I go out. Still the sentiment is nice and thanks. I just hope I can do justice to the community and represent well and not get lost in a sea of paperwork during the process. :battingeyelashes:

Curious; what aspect of Your Military training would you say better prepared you for this task at hand?

Hi Dana. I am not sure about that . . . reckless abandon like the first time I threw myself out of a plane (with a parachute that is).

. . . Curious if you alter your voice at all when out? Does it depend on audience?

Hi Julia. When I present "en femme" I use my proximity of a female voice even with friends. It puts some people off but they get accustomed. The interesting thing is the person I met with asked how I wished to be addressed and never batted an eye when I said "Isha".

... And my God! if you're going to make an entrance, that is the dress to wear. Absolutely love it!!

Hi Christen. LOL . . . I never thought about that until I got home. I wore the dress because it was such a lovely afternoon. My wife had the same comment as I had dressed after she went to work. She said "well they certainly could not have missed Isha today that is for sure." :heehee:

Hugs all

Isha

Genny B
09-27-2014, 09:47 PM
I have to log on more often! I hadn't seen this thread! Good for you Isha! I can't think of a member on this forum that I think could do a better job at what you are taking on!

Genny B

Robin777
09-27-2014, 11:03 PM
I agree with Genny, I can't think of a member on this forum that I think could do a better job at what you are taking on.

Plus, I love that dress! I reminds me of the 60's and Laugh In the TV show! Where did you find that dress?

MissTee
09-27-2014, 11:22 PM
Great work, Isha. Like a thousand or so before me may I say: That dress rocks!

Marcelle
09-28-2014, 08:25 AM
Hi Robin,

I thought the same thing when I got the dressed and tried it on . . . 60s Laugh In (just needed the white GoGo boots). I do love the dress though as it is bright and in a way timeless in design. I got it online at Zulily (White Mark Collection).

Hugs

Isha

Raychel
09-28-2014, 08:33 AM
Awesome work Isha. The more accepted we are in the real world the easier it will be for
others.

I hope all goes well for you.

GretchenJ
09-28-2014, 08:46 AM
Hey Isha,

First things first - love the dress!! Something that Isha would not have been caught dead in outside 6months ago. And I must say you absolutely rocked it. Very pretty.

Second, (and I am not trying to be funny here, and I am using this term because there is no other word to accurately describe it), you my friend have the biggest balls I have ever seen. It's one thing to go to a shopping center en femme, but to show up at work, at a military base no less, and put yourself out there in front of acquantices for many years, seeing Isha for the first time - that is amazing! And instead of jeans or camos, you show up in an amazing dress, once again I give you props girl.

The Canadian government should be proud to have you on this committee, because you are the perfect spokeswoman for this cause - you contain all the qualities which are responsible for this task. You are highly intelligent, compassionate, practical, understanding, and above all else , a great listener who is willing to compromise or passionately disagree with an opposing viewpoint.

Best of luck in your new assignment - but I know luck will not be required, and as with everything else that you do, you will do it exceedingly well!

Badwolf
09-28-2014, 08:54 AM
Isha, a true pioneer. The best of luck!

Giselle(Oshawa)
09-28-2014, 09:25 AM
Isha you are an inspiration sis

Vikky
09-28-2014, 09:37 AM
Hi Isha

Just catching up on this thread and WOW! Amazing. The experience must have been brilliant and the dress is fab. You are a heroine.

Vikky

lexivanderpump
09-28-2014, 02:39 PM
Isha,
You are so courageous. You are a trooper indeed. And so darn cute!

Love,
Lexi V.