PDA

View Full Version : The door bell rings - again, and again

Vikky
09-28-2014, 09:43 AM
Hi Folks

Leading on from the ‘fire alarm’ thread I had a similar thought.

You are a closeted crossdresser like me and the SO is out so you have the house to yourself. The lights are on and your car is parked outside.

You are all dressed up to the nines and enjoying a pleasant evening en femme when the door bell rings, again, and again and they won’t go away. I sneaky look through a curtain and you see a neighbour, mate etc determined to see you.

It’s a fear of mine. What do you do?

Vikky

Raychel
09-28-2014, 09:58 AM
Well where I normally sit at my desk is in clear view of the back door
where everyone would come knocking. So at that point they would have already seen me. :doh::doh:

Might as well just go to the door. :thinking:

natcrys
09-28-2014, 10:11 AM
I would just not answer the door. If that means skipping the evening/night of fun.. then so be it. In my case, my direct neighbours don't know about Tassia.. so unless it's a fire threat or anything like that.. I'm not showing myself.

If I run into them later that day or week.. I'll go for plausible deniability. I tell them that I was in a hurry going out.. and left the light on. And that I was picked up by a friend.. so that's why my car was still there.

Btw, I live in an apartment building, with 4 apartments on each floor.. so most likely it's one of the other three families who would directly ring my front doorbell. All other people will first have to pass the main entrance on the ground floor. So I will just not answer the intercom.. ;)

Drusilla
09-28-2014, 10:37 AM
if they ask, you had a long stressful day, had a couple of drinks and fell asleep in front of the TV and nothing short of an earthquake was going to wake you up.

Jenniferathome
09-28-2014, 10:42 AM
I have answered the door! Of course, to be fair, I looked to see if it was someone I knew. If a delivery guy or the like, answer the door. Who cares.

AliciaWeb
09-28-2014, 10:43 AM
Generally I do what natcrys does and hide away. I have answered the door when it seemed urgent and I had minimal makeup by putting on a dressing gown, removing my wig and wiping my face with a cleansing tissue on my way to the door. The most amusing/nerve-racking incident was when the window cleaner arrived and began work without knocking. When I noticed his presence when his wash leather landed on the window of the room I was in. I spent a frantic 10 minutes scuttling from room to room shedding feminine clothing and trying to find male clothes.

Stephanie47
09-28-2014, 10:45 AM
Unless you smell smoke, i.e., your house is on fire, don't answer the door! I'm a retiree with a working wife. My routine in the morning is to make her breakfast while she showers and gets dressed. Basically, I look like I just fell out of bed, which is the truth. Since she does not drive I take her to work. When I get home, it's Stephanie time. When the doorbell rings like it did this past week, I just ignore it. If I need an excuse I always say I was taking a bath, which entails reading a book and sipping a cup of coffee. In case the person is intent on messing up your day with a call, I also screen my calls during the day. I don't need a neighbor trying to get my attention by calling from the front door.

Teresa
09-28-2014, 11:05 AM
Alicia it's easier to clean your own windows then you can wear what you like !

Vicky I use to have customers call at my home and not all would make appointments ! I had an important lady client who worked for a large company and I had a sundress zip stuck when she rang the doorbell ! The lumps and bumps under my drab clothes must have been pretty obvious but at least I didn't lose their work ! She was a very attractive lady and always winked with a smile after that day ! Maybe she liked the style of the sundress if she read the shape !!

bridget thronton
09-28-2014, 11:15 AM
I do not feel compelled to answer the door if I did not invite the visitors to call on me (same for unsolicited phone calls from strangers)

Kim_Bitzflick
09-28-2014, 11:34 AM
It depends on the neighbor & the situation. Generally my neighbors don't do that except one & we are thinking of telling her. So I think I would answer. If they don't like it, they'll not come back which I'm OK with.

Jennifer-GWN
09-28-2014, 11:46 AM
Up until recently I'd call through an upstairs window "I'm on the phone". If it was a delivery they'd leave the package and go on their way, others would simply leave perhaps coming back another time. Now Id be quite ok with someone calling. 99% it wouldn't be someone from next door as to date they've never knocked in the past. Daily I present well and am getting in the routine of makeup and hair in the morning before starting work.

Ineke Vashon
09-28-2014, 11:46 AM
Happened to me, people I know. I called out from behind the door: "I'm just starting a shower. Can you come back in fifteen?" Worked ok.

Ineke

Beverley Sims
09-28-2014, 11:54 AM
As long as the place is locked up go and lie down.
They soon tire of it. :)

Kate Simmons
09-28-2014, 07:08 PM
I guess it would be good for shock value if nothing else. :heehee:Go for it! :battingeyelashes::)

CynthiaD
09-28-2014, 07:14 PM
I wouldn't let the doorbell ring again and again. I'd answer it right away. But I'm not exactly in the closet.

Ally 2112
09-28-2014, 08:19 PM
If it is dark out i rarely turn my lights on not only does it keep my bill,s down people do not think im home .If it is light out i just do not answer the door and if they question it i say i was in the shower sleeping or was out for a walk .Usually works :)

Leslie Langford
09-28-2014, 08:23 PM
Unless you're living your life as a television sitcom or reside in a town of 500 inhabitants or less where everyone knows everyone else's business, your door is likely locked most of the time and people are not randomly walking in on you unannounced as the mood strikes them.

If your door is locked, you have nothing to worry about, and can just wait them out until they tire of knocking on your door or ringing your doorbell and move on.

I think Ann Landers said it best when responding to readers' letters like yours when the writers said they felt guilty about not answering their door every time someone appeared at it. Basically, her philosophy was "If you're uninvited or unexpected, then you're not welcome...

JenniferR771
09-28-2014, 08:39 PM
I am a bit braver now. I think I would have the nerve to answer. Maybe.
But it happened to me a few years ago. Loud knock. I ignored. Repeat. I peeked out the window and it was a police officer. Changed quickly and come out the door as he was talking to my neighbor on the left. Said I was in the bathroom. I was nervous. He was looking for the female roommate of my male neighbor. I don't know for sure--but I suspect she was a recent parolee. Probably moved without permission. I had not seen her in months.

Badwolf
09-28-2014, 08:52 PM
I'd probably not answer personally. I do leave the lights on, I shower at odd hours etc etc.

Majella St Gerard
09-28-2014, 10:49 PM
just don't answer the door, tell them you had head phones on and didn't hear the bell, when he asks. there is no law that you have to answer the door bell. i would just answer the door, i don't give a **** what others think anyway.

Tracii G
09-28-2014, 10:54 PM
Just don't answer it. Keep the blinds closed unless you are wanting to get seen.

arial
09-29-2014, 06:46 AM
They can knock until their knuckles hurt...door isn't opening

Amymonroe
09-29-2014, 07:08 AM
thankfully i do not have some of the problems that you all have. i live in an apartment the only one that would show up is the maint. guy. (when he does show) other than that i have my neighbor next door and i would be ok if she saw me dressed as she is gay, but she doesn't bother me either as she is wrapped up in her own world.

amy

Krisi
09-29-2014, 08:02 AM
I look to see who it is. Then I'll either ignore them or do a quick change back to male mode. Of course you can't do a quick change if you have a bunch of makeup to remove.

Why didn't you answer the door (in case they ask later)?

I was in the shower/bathtub.
I was on the toilet.
I was sleeping.
I was in the garage working on something.
I was in the (fenced) backyard and didn't hear the doorbell.

NicoleScott
09-29-2014, 08:25 AM
My wife and I always peek through the blinds to see who's there. If it's obviously somebody selling something, soliciting donations or votes, or spreading "the good news" we don't answer.

If it's someone you know, there's nothing wrong with saying "I can't come to the door right now. Come back another time, please. Call first."

It's my home, my door, my doorbell, and my choice to answer it or not. I'm sure that my need to remain in the closet outweighs whatever's on the other side of the door.
Exception: Publisher's Clearinghouse van in the driveway. People on the porch holding a gigantic check. I'll answer that one. haha

charlenesomeone
09-29-2014, 04:32 PM
Happened today.
Just finished face about to apply lipstick, ding dong.
Contractor to repair sprinkler. Changed to drab but to late to do
the face. At least I have done a fair job this time. HaHa.
He never said anything if he noticed and don't see how he couldn't . Finished, showed me, took check, and
pleasent good bye.
The world didn't end. Then drove 3 hours in femme. Other older neighbor sees me arrive,
smiles and I smile back.
All and all, great day.
I am smiling.
Char

ambigendrous
09-29-2014, 09:51 PM
Had a gaggle of Jehova's witnesses at the door one day so I decided to open the door. The looks on their faces were priceless! Haven't seen them again!

MissTee
09-30-2014, 12:44 AM
I wouldn't answer. No law that says I have to, either.

AletaHawk
09-30-2014, 07:04 AM
Happened to me, people I know. I called out from behind the door: "I'm just starting a shower. Can you come back in fifteen?" Worked ok.

Ineke

That's exactly how I'd handle it. Or just not answer, because at the end of the day they don't really KNOW I'm home unless they've seen me. How do they know I haven't just left the lights on? We have two cars, so maybe I'm off in the other one.

Teresa
09-30-2014, 07:44 AM
Ambigendrous,
I must try that one the next time they call !
I wonder if their calls will increase or tail off ???

Jenny Elwood
09-30-2014, 09:51 AM
In my crime-riddled country everyone lives behind walls and fences. Very few people actually have a working bell at the gate, otherwise beggars will bug you all day. You do a missed call on the persons' mobile phone when you arrive at the gate. There's no such thing as arriving at someone's door unannounced.

Francine
09-30-2014, 10:26 AM
Become a 'quick change clothes artist! :heehee: I know.. I've been there, done that!
Francine

Sarah Beth
09-30-2014, 12:26 PM
This actually happened to me about five years ago. It was winter time and I wasn't working that day but my wife was off to work and I got dressed. I am terrible at doing my makekup because I dont get a lot of chances to work on it but I had spent about two hours doing that and experimenting and had a look I could live with for the day.

It was then about 11 in the morning and I was planning on spending the whole day dressed and just doing little things around the house. The door bell rang and while it shook me up I just ignored it, I was in my home office and just kept on doing what I was doing. Then the door beel again and in a couple of minutes it went again, then in a few minutes there was a pounding on the door. Finallly deciding I couldn't just keep ignoring it I rushed to the bathroom stripped of my girl things and used some makeup remover wipes to get the makeup off my face. In the meantime the pounding on the door has happened again.

Pulling on some jeans and sweatshirt and finally make it to the door. I look out to see who it is and it's some stranger. I open the door to see what he wants and has a delivery for someone else. Turns out they had the address numbers turned around on the delivery slip but the person had promised to home to take delivery and the guy said he couldn't leave until he made delivery. I guess he would have kept on pounding on the door until someone answered.

DonnaT
09-30-2014, 03:52 PM
One morning my door bell kept ringing, and I kept ignoring it until the person finally went away. I then looked outside and saw a limb from one of my trees had come down and clipped a part of the neighbors (not a good neighbor) front porch.

I quickly changed and went out to assess the damage.

Simone's Lil' Sis
09-30-2014, 04:13 PM
Who says you HAVE to open the door to an unexpected visitor or anyone for that matter? If I don't know you or I am not expecting you, then ring that doorbell all you want. They'll eventually go away OR I call 911.

sometimes_miss
09-30-2014, 05:25 PM
just don't answer the door, tell them you had head phones on and didn't hear the bell, when he asks. there is no law that you have to answer the door bell. i would just answer the door, i don't give a **** what others think anyway.

^this. Unless the police are yelling, of course, then you pretty much have to open it or they'll break it down. my neighbors see me wearing headphones pretty much all the time, so they know I might not hear the doorbell. I even have a card by the door saying as such, that they should call me on the phone if they really want me to answer (I have one of those light things that go off when the phone rings, got the idea from a deaf friend years ago).

Wildaboutheels
09-30-2014, 06:33 PM
Just keep in mind that NOT answering the door could cost one a heap of money. At the very least, one should be able to look and see who's there. 3 or 4 hundred dollars or more will buy a lot of CDing "items".

Richelle423
10-01-2014, 09:33 AM
I usually never answer the door and hide from the windows. Sometimes I wish I was en femme when the Jehova witnesses come around. I'm sure they would never knock on the door again!

Vikky
10-01-2014, 01:01 PM
Hi Folks

Thanks for all your helpful replies. There is no way I can risk being 'outed' locally, too much at stake, so some of the excuses will be handy.

Thanks.

Vikky