PDA

View Full Version : Possible full time

Ash Leland
09-29-2014, 05:32 PM
I wasn't sure if I should post this in the transsexual forum. I read a few of the sticky threads and I wasn't altogether sure if that was the place to bring uncertainty such as this, plus I'm also out of the young members forum (from inactivity I think) so I thought this would be the best place to post this.

Before I get started, I know what I'm about to discuss is not smart and why exactly I did it may bear further reflection on my part. Basically, last spring, I started checking out a bunch of forum websites dealing with natural breast enhancement. I guess reason one for doing that was that at the moment I'm too poor for surgery and I wasn't too confidant with how things were going with my therapist, and if I did get surgery it would have to be out of state (no such resource in my hometown, or possibly anywhere in state except maybe Anchorage). I also have a number of trans friends locally who have gone about this in every way imaginable. I know a girl who passes, is full time and is completely non-op and no-ho. I know someone else who surgically transitioned without hormone therapy and two others who are pursuing hormone therapy without any plans for surgery. Basically, I've met a handful of people who have transitioned to their satisfaction in different ways. So at the time, while I knew that the proper channels are the safest, I wasn't exactly convinced the typical roadmap is absolutely necessary and if your insurance coverage is wonky then you're hands are kind of tied anyway.

At this point, I'd been "out" to my mom for a few years, although her behavior sort of made it clear that she wasn't quite convinced it wasn't a phase. Nonetheless she knew transition is on my radar. I'd sort of come out to dad. He knows I'm a crossdresser and that I'm bisexual. Anyway, my thinking was that this is my body, and if this regiment of vitamins and over the counter hormones (you can find what they are on your own if you really want to) causes any problems I could stop. I wasn't altogether concerned about genital \ reproductive consequences since I hardly use my genitals during sex anyway and I've never wanted children. Beyond that, I simply did not care about adverse health consequences. If they worked, woo hoo. Eventually they started working. I'd also suspended judgement about work or social consequences. I couldn't really imagine any insurmountable problem or confusion in my social circle and if anyone asked what was going on, I'd tell them.

This continued through July when I quit my job (sketchy coworkers, unsafe environment) and took another one involving delivering newspapers at night. I think completely reversing my sleep schedule messed with my brain chemistry since I had the worst onset of self-destructive feelings and behavior in years, so predictably that only lasted a week. After that was the first job interview I went to as a woman, and it went smoothly. The position they found for me wasn't exactly amazing: part time telemarketing. No possibility of saving and I could no longer afford my meds (for ADHD) but it got me by from day to day. At that time my dad had sort of vanished from my life. His dog died in the spring and he started walking dogs with the neighbor lady and soon they were in a relationship, which means that he more or less slept over at her place every night and I'd go weeks without speaking to him and when I did there was no possibility of a long, sustained conversation. Eventually he started going to a Catholic church. I won't read too much into that. Around the time the telemarketing gig happened, I was house sitting for him, for about two weeks.

Two things became clear. One, and possibly most importantly, was that I was beginning transition without my father. The other had to do with my work place. Mostly staffed with younger men, mostly misogynist. At no point were they verbally abusive to me, but I still couldn't help noticing how frequently /scary/ jokes came up. As in, "I just say the creepiest thing I can to a girl and if it doesn't freak her out, then we're doing it." Then there was this guy who kept saying, over and over again, that he divorced his wife of twenty years because she was fat and married a twenty-nine year old. The fact that I was doing this without my dad plus my growing awareness of how much women are marginalized made me feel kind of up a river with no paddle. And it's not like I didn't know anything about misogyny before then. I think a lot of it is that most of my friends are LGBT and this was the first time I was in an exclusive group of straight, young men in a long time, combined with the fact that I hadn't had any meds in about a month. For me, being medicated for ADHD has to do with how well I solve problems and manage my life. If you can't do that, you feel like you can't control anything and it's easy to get morbidly depressed and get stuck in destructive, circular thought patterns.

So basically I came to the conclusion that I was rushing in too fast and stopped. After the telemarketing job ran out (it was seasonal) I was hired as a substitute teacher, as a male. I've been working for or less full time this month, but something has still been eating at me. Ever since I was hired as a sub, I've been drinking hard on a regular basis. I can drink quite a lot, much more than I am now, and still manage a full daily routine. Family patterns combined with being temporary in jail during a blackout at the age of 21 has taught me that I'm probably a congenital alcoholic. At the same time, since I don't have a significant other who prompts me to drink all the time, I can now see the problem for what it is. That's probably at least one reason why I feel like my brain is all over the map. I also want to go back on the vitamin supplements and hormones. I have a small shelf in my chest, and without my shirt you can tell I have breasts, but they're still not that big. I also might be hired at a liquor store by people who know I'm trans. That would be later this month. And that's another problem. I know for a fact that I could get a permanent full time para-professional job with a special needs kid in the school district (in a local school that I haven't worked in yet), but I feel like in order to do that I'd have to come out to the human resources department. So I could roll the dice with a high paying job with health care, or I could wait for a lower paying, more menial job where gender identity doesn't matter. And oh yeah, the talk with dad would have to happen.

I guess my essential problem here is that I feel compelled to do this and I don't know why. Maybe there is no why. I also can't help but suspect that failure in other areas of my life might give this problem an extra level of seriousness. I've only recently got back to creative writing. From childhood through age 23 or so, it was a constant, so losing that was kind of a sign that something was wrong. I'll not get into any of that right now but I wonder about it. And then there's the label thing. I seriously can't imagine a reason why I should not want to change my body, other than social ostracism and no one wanting to be in a relationship with me, and both of those are kind of in the same realm. And obviously social problems include day in day out misogyny and everyone thinking you're an extremist, nihilistic crazy person. In terms of personal preference, what I want for myself though, there's no question.

Brianna_H
09-29-2014, 05:43 PM
What country/state do you live in? Honestly, you need some professional help to face these issues. Are there any communities or support groups in your area? It sounds like you need some friends and contacts to back you up. Don't let your guard down or admit anything to anyone who doesn't need to know. Safety first!

It's a very rough place to be in, especially without resources and support. There isa lot of wisdom on this board and for some it may be the only understanding they get. It sounds like you know what you want for yourself, it's a matter of creating a plan and crafting your life so you can make it happen safely.

There are people out there in this big crazy world who can offer support and love. don't give up hope for these things. It's ok for you to be you! In fact, it's the best.

celeste26
09-29-2014, 06:03 PM
Living in the Pacific Northwest, I feel no prejudice and even before I start on HRT I am full time. Granted I am retired so I have no workplace issues, but I go everywhere en femme and I just dont get negative comments from bankers, grocers, clerks of any kind. I know that I am not one of the beautiful people but maybe they just dont focus on me since I am just OK. Maybe they all see me as just another CD but that is not the way they treat me.

Ash Leland
09-29-2014, 06:55 PM
Celeste and Brianna- thank you for your replies. Celeste mentioned that in the Pacific Northwest people are pretty tolerant. I haven't had any adverse reactions myself. I guess what I said earlier, by being freaked out by sexist coworkers, was kind of like having my nose rubbed in an experience that I think I avoided simply by associating mostly with LGBT people. And that is something I worry about in terms of, not just other peoples reactions, but my family as well. When you come out as trans it's a very visible thing, being trans in and of itself makes you visible, unless you have a gift for passing. Even though transition is very necessary for some people, on some level in involves walking into a situation where your visibility is an open invitation to judgement and, depending on your situation, the opinions of others may have any or no bearing on your quality of life. One thing I'm really afraid of is that my parents will see me as a disabled crazy person forever. More so on my dad's side. What's funny is that when I told my mom I was bi and trans she told me she remembers me wanting to be Ariel for Halloween because of the shell bra or the Pink Ranger (was not allowed to do either but anyway). My dad on the other hand was totally blindsided by me telling him I'm bi. When I let slip that I'm a "crossdresser" and started coming home dressed, he never said anything but seemed kind of sheepish, as if the whole situation is totally alienating and he had no way of seeing it coming. As a writer and a student of history and philosophy there's so much I want to do with my life and want to be and I'm outraged by the possibility of being reduced to a stereotype for the rest of my life.

Brianna- my therapist thinks that my fear of telling my father is a sign of uncertainty and I don't think we'll talk about hormones until that's resolved. Seeing as my housing situation is up in the air, however, and I need to get a hold on my drinking somehow, I think the talk with dad might happen in the next few days.

Earlier in the message I said I was concerned about mentioning uncertainty here. I guess what I mean by uncertainty is that he's gonna want to know why, and I don't know why my self. I'm kind of anticipating a laundry list of "what if it's this kind of sexual frustration, or this kind of latent sexual developmental problem, or this kind of etc".

There's of course the popular way of going about this. When did you feel different about your gender? Pretty early. When I was like five or so I'd lay awake at night wanting to develop breasts when I grow up and wear women's clothes. Gender conformity happened later in elementary school with the force of denial behind it. Then I sort of fell apart in high school and was in this morass of suicidal crisis and substance abuse in my late teens and early twenties. I had this odd delusory certainty that my genitals developed wrong and was morbidly obsessed with mutilating them. This was both a source of fantasy and utter terror, which haunted every waking second. THE major force behind substance abuse, actually. School and life improved when I started getting medicated for ADHD (was medicated in childhood but stopped at age 16) and got engaged. The engagement fell apart but I kept up on my meds and life in Anchorage was good, then tuition went up, could no longer afford student housing and have been back in my hometown of Ketchikan ever since. Life here has not been going well.

There's actually a psychiatrist here who specializes in transsexual needs, but she's private practice and charges an arm and a leg.

Brianna_H
09-29-2014, 11:44 PM
I hope some gals with more TS experience will come here to speak.

I am no expert, but I will try to advise based on living 40+ years as a human being. From your post, it sounds like you are more concerned about your dad's questions than about him freaking out and doing you harm. That's a great starting place. It means your dad probably loves you more than his ideologies. :) Also, I'm assuming you have to tell your dad, as you mentioned in your post. Mostly, it's a bad idea to come out to anyone unless you have to.

Now, you don't have to be certain of what's happening or why to ask for help, support and love. That's what you really need from your dad, right?

1. You've felt different, like you were really a girl. It's not a popular place to start with because it won a beauty pageant, but because it's a fundamental fact about you.

2. Transition is ****ing scary. Figuring this all out is scary. You don't have all the answers, but you still need to know your dad is going to love you while, and after, you do. Can you say that to your dad?

3. If he doesn't flip out, he might still have a ton of questions. So what? Won't it be better to be out in the open with him? Why not explore some of the scientific information that is out there regarding trans biology and psychology? Even if he fixates on a certain answer, at least there's a conversation going.

Again, I am assuming your dad is gonna be a talker and not a hitter; that you really feel the need to talk to him about it; and that some more folks will come here to offer you some feedback.

Take care of yourself and those you love.

Keep us posted.

Rianna Humble
09-30-2014, 02:49 AM
Earlier in the message I said I was concerned about mentioning uncertainty here. I guess what I mean by uncertainty is that he's gonna want to know why, and I don't know why my self. I'm kind of anticipating a laundry list of "what if it's this kind of sexual frustration, or this kind of latent sexual developmental problem, or this kind of etc".

It's OK to let him know that you don't have all the answers and that you are working through this with a therapist.

If he asks you "what if" questions where you don't know the answer, you can reply something like "I don't have a direct answer for that but I know who I am and hope I can count on your support and love".

I hope all goes well with the big talk

Kaitlyn Michele
09-30-2014, 06:18 AM
Its not a compulsion. It's you trying to live in congruence with your identity. Every human on earth lives their own lives, nobody lives it for you.
Nobody can decide if you are transsexual...even you can't!! You don't need to convince anybody here, but I hear you that posts are judged on content and its fair question to say "are you sure about this"...

Accept your feelings as real all the time, not just some of the time. Then focus on what you are gonna do about it (which is what you are doing...good job!!)
but do your best to leave out all the imponderable questions and the comparing to others...
I realize nobody is perfect but if you can stay focused on just your own life that can really help...

Your situation includes your self destructive drinking, your parents, and your money ... all of those will impact whatever choices and whatever path you take..

By all means tell your dad.. be prepared for any reaction but keep it simple and stand your ground. As Rianna says, you don't know everything.. you just tell him about this path you are on...
This is real..He is gonna have to accept that.

Make sure no matter how it plays out that he understands you are going to thrive BECAUSE you are finally taking care of yourself genderwise... this is inside of you and that will never change..

I hope its not, but if the outcome of talking to him is bad, then that will certainly impact your life.
If he pushes you away its even more vital to take care of yourself and to take care of the things that are in your life now.
No matter how bad it gets, you are still going to have these feelings, and you are still going to have to live your own life..see what i'm saying???

People (including your dad and mom) will do what they do....its their life... if they can't handle it, unfortunately that will sting but you will still have to go forward with your life..

Are you going to live as a woman? how are you gonna make money? are your living arrangements stable??how is drinking helping anything??

One other idea I have is to call that psychiatrist anyway and tell them you have no money ...they may blow you off or they may help or they may point you to some other help... I know my therapist sees a couple people for very low cost but doesn't like anybody to know..

LeaP
09-30-2014, 10:42 AM
It is perfectly appropriate for you to post here.

If you are transsexual, you have two sets of problems, not one undifferentiated pile. Gender and everything else. I know how hard it can be to keep those separate, but there is a rationale for doing so. You made a comment that failures in life perhaps lent gender issues more seriousness. I suggest that this feeling is more a matter of being under pressure from every direction. As hard as it might seem, you need to determine how intensely you experience gender pressure independent of other issues.

If gender is inevitably driving you toward transition, you can be sure of one thing - that until you do, the pressure only gets worse and the problems deepen and multiply. That doesn't mean you need to take a female-role job now, find a way to take hormones now, or any other particular immediate step, but it does mean that whatever you do choose to do should be in the context of a transition plan. That in itself will go a long way toward reducing your psychological stress.

If you decide the gender pressure is insufficient to drive toward transition, then the conflation of gender and other life issues you describe needs to be unwound. It then becomes a matter of compromise, accommodation, and decision about how you will live your life and not a matter of inevitability. There are all kinds of solutions here, from periodic cross dressing, to a genderqueer identity or presentation, to living part-time ... whatever.

If you decide to transition, then do it however you can - if you can. By "if" here, I mean you need to decide what is necessary and what is not. For example, I think I would be in a difficult place indeed without hormones, quite possibly to the point of blocking transition - but that's because I was, and would be, a psychological disaster without them. They were enormously clarifying for me, like snapping a picture from almost unrecognizable into sharp focus. But as you pointed out, there are many who transition without them, or without surgeries, or without hair removal, or without support, or without ... and some of them do just fine. The ONLY consideration for you, however, is what YOU need (not want, need).

You have some introspection ahead of you still ... hopefully with a therapist's assistance. I can tell you that it is possible to reach a point of clarity where many of your concerns become irrelevant to moving forward (whatever direction). All the issues will still be there - the parents' opinions, the misogyny, the job issues, the psychological baggage - all of it, but they can melt away as obstacles and instead assume an aspect of work to do. You can't force this change. It's the result of sorting out the identity and identity pressure.

Ash Leland
10-01-2014, 01:32 AM
Thank you everyone for your helpful and empathic comments. At the moment I'm about to stay with my dad for a few months (between places) so I think I'll see him and speak to him soon. Me and my mom were hanging out today and we spent a long time talking about him. Like Brianna said, I do think he loves me more than the culture he was raised in. At the same time, difference alienates him. I feel fairly certain that he is definitely a "talker" rather than a "hitter". Beyond that, I don't know anything. Today with mom I brought up my uncertainty about talking to dad about how \ why \ if to go full time. She told me that people are pretty simple and they need one statement of truth with no fluctuation. I'm either Ashleigh or Patrick, but if I jerk people around then to expect zero sympathy. This totally brought me back to something LeaP mentioned, about how strong these feelings are and whether or not they're leading inevitably toward transition. I mentioned earlier I was drinking. It's getting less and less. I've had bad, prolonged binges before but I think I'm starting to feel my self-preservation instinct a bit more. Thing is, when I sober up I start thinking more and more about transition. Alcohol dulls your feelings and they come squirming back to life once you stop. I think with dad I'm gonna hear a lot of "do you really NEED to do this". In all honesty, I'd push a button to make myself a woman if I could. At the same time, I know what I'm asking from both of my parents. I also worry about whether or not anyone will find me attractive. I live in a small town, and as someone who prefers sex with men, finding men as a man is hard enough. I have had a few encounters with people who prefer no strings attached who prefer CDers or trans people, and it's easy to be afraid that that will be the norm if I go full time.

I also like Kaitlyn's suggestion about calling the gender identity specializing psychiatrist anyway. I might actually do that. Thank you so much everyone <3

Angela Campbell
10-01-2014, 05:35 AM
I knew I was going to transition when I realized that when I was the boy all I thought about was the girl. When I was the girl, I never thought about the boy.

I haven't missed him yet.

LeaP
10-01-2014, 01:25 PM
In all honesty, I'd push a button to make myself a woman if I could.

This comment has been sitting on my mind. It's a common sentiment among crossdressers, where it represents fantasy as much as anything else, and gender-variant people, where it represents just one of many different directional pulls, but it's not something in you can afford to invest psychological energy if you are transsexual. It's a type of wishful thinking that obscures reality by approaching it emotionally. Emotions are important - don't mistake me - but identity comes from a deeper and more visceral place.

Jorja
10-01-2014, 02:09 PM
So, you think you want to be a girl. It kinda sounds like a book title, doesn't it? :)
First, it is important you tell your father no matter his reaction. If you are really going to do this, there is no sense sneaking around. You need to be out and freely able to proceed. Second, get your drinking and any other social or psychological problems under control before attempting transition. Transition has enough roadblocks and pitfalls on its own. You don't need anything interfering or competing with your transition. Third, locate an experienced gender therapist to help you through the process. Finally, join a support group and find a group of transsexuals you can sit down and talk with. An in person, one on one, conversation with someone going through or has gone through transition can be helpful to you in so many ways.

We can sit here all day and discuss the subject. The only real way you can tell it is for you is to live the life. Start out for a day and work your way up to 24/7. When you can say you have lived the life of a woman, then you can determine if it is really for you or not.

Stephanie Julianna
10-01-2014, 02:18 PM
Everything Jorga said is on the money. I cannot add to that except to say that I will pray for you that in time you will find your happiness in a way that completes you. Best of luck. I can safely say that all the girls here with you all the way. Love, Steph