PDA

View Full Version : Violating a gender norm for class, suggestions?

watts
01-23-2006, 06:37 PM
Hello everyone! I'm taking a class on the psychology of gender, and for next week's assignment we are supposed to violate a gender norm and then write down our response and how other people responded. I am pleased to have such a legitimate excuse to do something feminine, but am unsure of what might be a good violation. I'm not really that comfortable with dressing in public yet (in fact, I've never done any in public at all) so I don't want to do anything too drastic, but I thought that you all would probably have some fantastic suggestions as to possible options :)

Thanks in advance!

DanaJ
01-23-2006, 06:42 PM
Wear nail polish, a femme color...

Angela Burke
01-23-2006, 07:01 PM
That sounds like a really interesting assigment.
I agree awith Dana, an obviously feminine shade of nail varnish (pink, red) would seem to be the solution if you're reacting with strangers.
Plus nails are easily hidden if the need arises.
I'd like to hear the outcome.

SandraInHose
01-23-2006, 07:16 PM
Pantyhose would get my vote.

Of course, with today's college crowd, even the girls might not know what they are...:(

Joanna Maguire
01-23-2006, 07:28 PM
I sugest wearing full make up . Must be applied properly. Also if you want to go to the expense and your hairs long enough a feminine hair style< A wig ? (The easiest way would be to go to a beauty shop and have a full makeover.)
This may not be as way out as you might think as many rock singers or other way out men wear make up to night clubs these days.
Have fun, You might get some admiring comments or critisim about style from the RGs in class.
Joanna

kneehighs
01-23-2006, 07:33 PM
Pumps!

Whip out the Manolo's, let those Nine West's shine! Easy solution that requires very little time and effort.

watts
01-23-2006, 07:52 PM
Great suggestions! I can't really do FULL dress, for one thing I don't really have any full outfits :( (I've just started living on my own and couldn't keep anything around before). I have pretty short hair, how much would a makeover type thing run? Femme nail polish would also be really easy.

As for pumps, I had actually been thinking about going to a shoe store and picking some up then wearing them around a bit. I don't know, I'm still kinda nervous about the whole thing. Should be a great experience though!

I'll definately let everyone know the result :D

KathrynW
01-23-2006, 07:53 PM
do it right...
go get breast implants before the next class... :OMG:

SherriePall
01-23-2006, 07:55 PM
I side with Dana on this one. Maybe a set of nails applied and then a femme red. If the weather is warm where you are, perhaps, a matching pedicure and a pair of sandals (No, not the strappy kind. You know just plain flat summer-time sandals). Good luck with this experiment.

tara 24-7
01-23-2006, 07:56 PM
the very best of luck to you,, im proud of you, tara

Laurie Ann
01-23-2006, 08:26 PM
Kathyrn has a great idea but if time is a factor Dana's idea is probably the best.

watts
01-23-2006, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the support everyone, there seems to be a consensus on nails being a good choice. I talked to a friend about it, and she suggested that maybe painted nails wouldn't really be enough of a norm violation to get a reaction at all? I don't know.

I could definately see doing makeup as well, I don't have any though so I'd have to get it done at a salon or something. Hmm. Shoes appeal a good bit as well, I'm just really torn in general!

Whatever the case, thanks again :D

nikky
01-23-2006, 08:55 PM
i agree with the pedicure and manicure....do them pink or red and wear a flat pair of sandels or flip flops. that would be cute

Karren H
01-23-2006, 09:00 PM
How about jewelery, necklace, rings, the works!!

Love Karren

watts
01-23-2006, 09:05 PM
Having both nails and toes with flip flops would be great, were it not 30 degrees out! :)

Jewelry is a great idea, but I don't have any :(

Dragster
01-23-2006, 09:13 PM
Go on Watts, get your dress on and everything else. You say you'd be uncomfortable going out in public dressed; but you've got the perfect excuse now, and nobody needs to know your true feelings about dressing as a woman. It's all part of your assignment! You won't get a better opportunity, and you'll kick yourself if you don't! I wish I was in your class!

Good luck,
Tony

DanaJ
01-23-2006, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the support everyone, there seems to be a consensus on nails being a good choice. I talked to a friend about it, and she suggested that maybe painted nails wouldn't really be enough of a norm violation to get a reaction at all? I don't know.
First you say that you are not comfortable with doing any dressing in public, then you don't want to do anything too drastic.

Now - painted nails or even long painted nails (a bright red) isn't enough to get a reaction? So, I don't understand what you are really after here....

Rachel Morley
01-23-2006, 10:00 PM
Gosh, this sounds like a fun assigment. :) I agree with others, if it were me, I would wear bright pearly pink nail polish on my finger nails and black masscara with perhaps also a woman's sweater or blouse.....oh and earrings.

Whatever you decide, let us know how it works out.

Staci
01-23-2006, 10:05 PM
I would do the fingernails and make-up. Also, if you are uncomfortable a nice pair of women's jeans with a conservative women's top could work. This way you still blend in and get to be outside dressed as a girl as it sounds like you would like to do. You could add a pink belt to the jeans.

MarinaTwelve200
01-23-2006, 10:37 PM
Definately wear a BRA--at least a C cup, and fully padded, under your shirt.---Makeup or painted fingernails may go un noticed, unless they are extreme or seen relatively close up, but BOOBS on a guy would not be missed:D It would definately get a reaction.

watts
01-23-2006, 10:48 PM
First you say that you are not comfortable with doing any dressing in public, then you don't want to do anything too drastic.

Now - painted nails or even long painted nails (a bright red) isn't enough to get a reaction? So, I don't understand what you are really after here....

I didn't think about LONG painted nails, that would be great! I was thinking that JUST polish on nails might not be that noticeable as I have known guys who do that for other mysterious reasons (ah, college), but long nails would be a different story. I don't know much about long nails though, would it be hard to get them off? It's something I've always wanted to try anyway, which would be a plus.

Jeans are a great Idea too, and I actually have a pair of women's jeans (that one could NOT mistake for mens, they are low rise stretch tommy hilfigers with no back pockets). I'm really bad with tops though, what sort top would go with jeans?

Amanduhrob
01-23-2006, 10:52 PM
I'd wear a skirt, a most definately femme skirt, and maybe paint my nails.

I wouldn't wear heels, if you haven't been wearing them, you'll be hurting by the end of class.

Make up, goths wear make up all the time, so it's not that gender bending, and you don't seem comfortable enough to go out made up.

watts
01-23-2006, 11:03 PM
It is WAY too cold to wear a skirt right now, I'd freeze to death!

I'm thinking that I will try different things throughout the day and see which one provokes the strongest reactions. Like, I'll start with the nails, then the jeans (and a top if I can find one, though I imagine I'll have my coat on most of the time anyway due to coldness), maybe try makeup and wear everything walking around shops downtown that evening or something. I think it would perhaps strengthen my paper to see what people react to most strongly as well. (I predict that alone none would have much reaction, but all together people might look twice).

I'll have to talk to my boss tomorrow to make sure they won't fire me if I show up like that.

Edit: Since I'm a college student I actually will only have two classes the day of (neither one the gender class, so I don't get to see everyone elses choices, sadly) so I can fool around with a few different things.

Gwen
01-23-2006, 11:09 PM
I want to know what school you're going to so I can sign up.

No one suggested it so I will. I would wear a skirt with everything else guy. I have a rushed cotton skirt (just above knee length) that looks great with a guy's shirt and Uggs. Also a full length slinky skirt (leopard print) with a long guy shirt (For public exhibition I make sure I cover the genitals with the shirt). As a guy I find it surprisingly comfortable to wear around an unpredictable audience. You can think of it as a sarong. Even “common” guys wear sarongs…

So what school was that?

Gwen
01-23-2006, 11:15 PM
Opps sorry. Nixed the skirt before I got it posted. Can you tell I'm from California. We can still wear skirts in the winter here. :cheeky:

watts
01-23-2006, 11:21 PM
I'm hesitant to say what school on the net as it would be really easy to figure out who I am (not a huge deal really, I'm just a very private person). I will say that it is a Jesuit university and it isn't a typical gender studies class, but an upper level psych class.

We watched a very interesting video today on a lesbian woman who dressed up as a man for eight months to really experience the differences between male and female life. She passed AMAZINGLY well (and was not unnatractive as a female or anything of the sort either) and had a number of insightful comments, she wrote a book about it but I forget the name :(

Edit: just saw that you replied again about the skirt! Yes, I imagine California is rather nice right now :)

Shelby
01-23-2006, 11:36 PM
I like the idea of trying different things throughout the day. This friend of yours who would help with the nail polish, she might be more helpful in finding things for you to wear if you asked. I'd definetly stuff some boobs under a girly shirt and go with the jeans. Leave the hair alone, paint the nails and use some lipstick. I wish I had a class like that in school. Something to use as a dream now.

AprilCD
01-23-2006, 11:52 PM
If it is a violations to ones gender norms then take a good look at yourself. Find the things in yourself that says you are a man and then change them. An example of this would be your style not necessarily your clothes. Accessories to what you wear would also be an item to consider. You can do this project without really going to the extreme, however If you want to have fun with it then go for the full make over. Now to contradict myself. Do not do anything that you may regret in the future. This project should not be used as an opportunity to go outing in. Make your own opportunity when you are ready instead of taking advantage of one that came up.
A simple solution that is trendy and feminine is a nice purse with matching shoes.

watts
01-24-2006, 12:14 AM
The friend of mine would absolutely love to help me out, but she lives about 8 hours away right now :(

April, you have some excellent points, especially about doing my thing in my own time. Since this is a college class no one will necessarily know I'm doing it for that, and to be honest I'd rather go out in full dress outside of classes (like around town or something). That's why I am liking the idea of different stages, it lets me be a bit more comfortable with it and will let me enjoy it more.

As for style, I'm not sure what I wear that really signals to people that I am a guy, I've actually been mistaken for a woman before earlier this year when it was really cold, I was wearing a hat and one of those face masky things (that were androgynous, I've seen girls and guys wearing them), and had a few guys hold doors open for me and look REALLY surprised when I say "thank you" (I have a deep voice). I'm assuming that wearing tight, lowrise bootcut jeans and nice eyes tricked them! Maybe I'm just dreaming, but I've only had it happen when wearing that hat and facemask.

Ava Mouse
01-24-2006, 12:33 AM
But what are the GG's gonna do? I mean, really, what gender norms haven't women already broken?

If I were you, I'd dress 100% and go to class in an evening gown... ;) :D

In fact, in March I may be an 'exhibit' in a few sessions of gender classes for a day. Our Emerald City group sometimes has CD'rs & TG's go and give quick talks about themselves and answer questions...

Naturally, I'll share it all here after it happens... :D

watts
01-24-2006, 12:40 AM
One amusing suggestion in my textbook was for them to chew tobacco in public. I thought it odd to encourage such things.

The girls gender bending is less likely to be with clothing and whatnot and be more action. I'm thinking things like opening the door for guys, paying for a date, etc. I'm sure some will think of interesting things as there are about 20-25 females and 3 males in this class.

Kryss
01-24-2006, 03:21 AM
Whatever you decide to do, realize that everyone will be watching. Even though you may not see a reaction. Women especially. They pick up on stuff like that in a heartbeat. Don't do anything trashy.. If you do something, do it with taste. If your uncertain how to measure that, look at just what your changing in the mirror. Say to yourself, "Does this scream ****" If it does, dont do it. The idealism we CD's place on our attire is a dead one. Look around next time your out at how few women wear skirts with pumps anymore. Its simply not the norm. Most girls are wearing pants, a top, and whatever comfortable shoe they want. If you really want a noticeble reaction. Subtle Subtle Subtle. Wear Jeans, but get a feminine cut. (Not jeans that force you to have a bare midriff). Wear Sneakers if you want (like a white pair with a little pink stripe on em). If you want to paint your nails, do so.. make em match. Dont wear a sexy shirt if you can avoid it. Simplicity. Comfort. You know who will notice the most? Girls. And if they dont. Your doing it really well.

You should be able to write an additional paper on redefining the double-take as a new form of flattery to the TG community.

Course .. thats just my opinion, I could be in a corset losing blood flow to my extremeties!
Hope it all works out, Good luck to you.

Miriannah
01-24-2006, 03:28 AM
I like the nail polish idea. Either that, or you could even try those fake nails for something sexier. In addition to all the other benefits mentioned, you can just pull them off when you're done, which sure beats breaking out the nail polish remover afterward.

Deborah
01-24-2006, 04:02 AM
Perfect time to wear femme jeans and a blouse and get away with it.
I took psychology last quarter i didn't get to do anything fun like that. I would have gone the whole 9 too and enjoyed it.

Lotte L
01-24-2006, 05:04 AM
Hi Wats,

Realize that others in your class have the same assignment. What do you think they will do, because they see it as fun they probably go much further than you. Being more serious with it you violate more and you might get questions about it. If you want to come out this might be a good opportunity. Have fun anyway.

Love,
Lotte

LeannL
01-24-2006, 07:32 AM
Watts,

You said that you had about 25 GGs in the class. If you have the chance, talk to a couple of them and ask them what they would consider doing if they were you. You might be able to enlist their help or even do something as a "couple" (her-him/him-her couple that is).

Good luck.

jjjjohanne
01-24-2006, 07:53 AM
If you sat with a few girls from your school and told them about it, then you could have an "in" with the ladies about such topics in the future. Then you would have access to any clothes, makeup, etc that you may need. I agree that this should not be your "outing." It should be an attempt to do well on your assignment. I am jealous!

I dressed in a skirt to work for halloween, and after that, I was somewhat in to the "one of the girls" group. I could talk about things with some of the ladies, and it wasn't wierd.

If you talk to your fellow students, you might get lucky and have a "trying on" party in one of their dorms. Wouldn't it be great fun to have some girls dote on you that way!?

Another strategic option is to wax your legs. Waxing lasts longer than shaving and then you can enjoy shaved legs for a little while, with an excuse.

Julia Cross
01-24-2006, 09:01 AM
How about wearing a more conservative, longer skirt. But wear a man's sweater or an androgynous top. It would be a subtle push towards gender equality in apparel without crossing the line of saying, i want to be a woman, it just says, I want to wear what I want to wear, I want to express myself a little more through my choice of clothes. But refrain from other overtly feminine things such as hair, makeup and nails, again emphasizing that you just want to wear what you feel comfortable in without saying I want to be a woman - why can't I be a man and wear a skirt, that already pushes the boundries enough.

Julia

Sedona
01-24-2006, 10:53 AM
Watts,

So, when is your class? When do you do your "experiment"? We're dying to know.

My vote is for long manicured nails, maybe french tip or a girly red/pink. While you're at it, shave your arms/hands as well (if they're hairy).

Just make sure you practice doing stuff with them before you go out.

Cheers,

-S

watts
01-24-2006, 11:33 AM
How about this go on a normal date with you, your date, and a another couple.....have dinner...and sometime before you leave...say "Excuse me"...get up and walk a little towards the restroom...turn look at the other guy and say Bill or whatever his name is..."you want to join me"?

If that doesn't get a reaction nothing will. Two girls going to the restroom together...normal.....Two straight guys...no, no, no.

This is great, I won't really have the opportunity to set something like this up as the paper is due friday, but it would be really interesting.

The class is on mondays, but my paper is due friday, so there isn't really any chance for collaboration with female class members. Also, I am an amazingly shy person so I don't really talk to people that much normally, much less about this! Though for my abnormal psychology class we had to do a video on transvestic fetishism and I wound up wearing a pink skirt over my boxers with a girl's tank top and pumps. Everyone in the class was highly amused.

Kryss, I like what you said about subtlety, I think that feminine jeans and a pair of androgynous shoes I have (my sister liked them so much she almost bought the same pair), plus fingernails would be a good way to violate the gender norm without making it appear more like an attempt at drawing attention.

edit: I actually did have my legs waxed a while ago, the lady's reaction at the salon wasn't too interesting and it's a wee bit too cold to show off such things right now! :)

Julie York
01-24-2006, 11:58 AM
Do you get extra points for getting beaten up in public?

Sounds like a fantasy.....or a project designed by a lecturer who needs to get a grip on reality.

But if you really want to violate gender roles......carry a pink handbag....and see how far down the high street you get without a reaction......(and think of the extra points.).

MsJanessa
01-24-2006, 01:03 PM
It is WAY too cold to wear a skirt right now, I'd freeze to death!

I'm thinking that I will try different things throughout the day and see which one provokes the strongest reactions. Like, I'll start with the nails, then the jeans (and a top if I can find one, though I imagine I'll have my coat on most of the time anyway due to coldness), maybe try makeup and wear everything walking around shops downtown that evening or something. I think it would perhaps strengthen my paper to see what people react to most strongly as well. (I predict that alone none would have much reaction, but all together people might look twice).

I'll have to talk to my boss tomorrow to make sure they won't fire me if I show up like that.

Edit: Since I'm a college student I actually will only have two classes the day of (neither one the gender class, so I don't get to see everyone elses choices, sadly) so I can fool around with a few different things.
Nonsense---wear a long midi type skirt with knee hi stilletto heeled boots, appropriate underwear---panty hose, waistnipper and bra--or corset --a girly type sweater, makeup, long fake nails and a wig----if you are going to challenge somebodies gender stereo types, challenge them---don't beat around the bush---anyway the above oufit should be enough to keep you warm---remember tobe tasteful---your going to class not to a local club---save the short black leather for later. and good luck--:dom:

Bobbi_Gurli
01-24-2006, 01:32 PM
I'd ask that female friend to help you with makeup and nails and anything else you decide to do. Why pass up a chance to have a woman help you...most CD's biggest desire!

cmiller1031
01-24-2006, 01:49 PM
For what it is worth, I am aware some of you are skeptical about the assignement, however, when I was in college, there was a genders studies class that had a similar assignment, I was not in the class that I took, however we always knew when the assignments were coming due, as we would see men in skirts and women in business suits. I wanted to take the class, but for an Accounting major, no room.

Good luck on the class, may I suggest you wear some panties and hose no mater what you do, even under some non descript clothing, it will help you feel more girly and sell the violation.

Wendy me
01-24-2006, 02:00 PM
oh sillys look way too easy eather some eye shadow or eye liner nothing over board but noticeable....

paulaN
01-24-2006, 02:37 PM
I am all for the nail polish idea. red is a good color after all you want it to be noticed. Also a nice pair of dangley clip on earings, that should turn some heads too. Good luck to ya and remember. We're all pullen for ya.

KimberlyS
01-24-2006, 04:36 PM
I am really interested to see both your reaction and those of your classmates.

My vote would be a very feminine top, with the rest outwardly male. Bra and padding optional.

KimberlyS

KathrynW
01-24-2006, 05:11 PM
Bra and padding optional.
optional? I'd say at least C cup forms... ;)

MsEva
01-24-2006, 05:16 PM
How about a girly blouse? You can get one fairly cheap at second hand store..it can look really femmy or slightly femmy, the buttons on the blouse will give it away...combine that with a light clear coat of polish. You don't want to be in your face kind of attitude...you can choose the blouse with just the right amount of femmy look:rolleyes:

Sedona
01-24-2006, 05:24 PM
I have to say (and I think this is same for lot of others), that I've been having the most fun following this thread. Watts sounds sincere, but bad Karma and juju if she's yanking our, um garters.

One thing that came to mind is by all means, do not look cheesy/trashy, otherwise, folks on campus/town will assume you're a frat boy doing a hazing stunt. The key is to look like you wear your nails/blouse/skirt/whatever every day. I think the suggestion of panties/hose under the outfit (even if you're in guy jeans) is a good one to help you set the mood.

-Sedona

watts
01-24-2006, 06:17 PM
Ha, I'm definately not yanking everyone's garters, the violation that I choose to do might not be as interesting as some are hoping for though. I just have so much going on that it is hard to do anything as elaborate as some of you are suggesting, as fun as it might be!

Right now I'm thinking a pair of lowrise, bootcut girls jeans, painted fingernails, and I'll try eyeliner but I don't think I'll be able to do it right. I'll probably save more extensive dressing for just for fun occasions or on a weekend when I have more time. I'd really like to do the long nails thing, but I'm afraid it will be really bad for them when I take them off.\

edit: I'll be sure to post pictures of whatever I choose, just don't be too dissapointed if it isn't really drastic! :)

Also, I'm quite sure the professor isn't projecting, and the suggestion is actually in our textbook as well. And I wouldn't really think that getting beat up would be a huge danger as most people doing this live on campus, I live downtown in an apartment, but I've never seen anyone very intimidating in my area (I also live right next to the police station).

Christina Nicole
01-24-2006, 06:29 PM
Everyone suggested the regular stuff. Everyone on campus is going to know what is going on. Big deal! Try something different. Next time you are disappointed, something does not go your way, whatever, break down and have a good cry. Men don't cry. You'll get a reaction. That is for certain. If you want to ice the cake, wear some eye makeup, especially mascara. Don't forget to cry about your mascara running and ruining your "face."

Warm regards,
Christina Nicole

Sedona
01-24-2006, 06:37 PM
Brilliant Christina N! I was watching football (U.S. style thank you), and couldn't help but laugh at the milwaukee beer ads that showed guys being scolded for sopping grease off of pizza slices, and coochie-cooing a pomeranian. Clothing aside, crying is pretty much at the top of the don't-do list for guys. Pizza de-greasing and toy dog admiring aren't even in the same league.

watts
01-24-2006, 09:54 PM
With the essay due friday, I'm hoping for no cry-worthy occurances, but definately a good suggestion.

I went out shopping today, and I have a cut pair of medium/low heels (i probably won't wear these to class as I have to walk a LOT on my way, but will put them on for work and the evening) a pair of ralph lauren polo juniors jeans for 4 dollars at the thrift store, along with a nice light green girls t-shirt. I also picked up a set of those silly glue on nails at target (the french manicure look ones). A friend at work said that we were going to HAVE to do a little photo shoot when I told her about the project, so there will be pictures for you all! Thanks again for the help!

watts
01-25-2006, 02:36 AM
I've gotten the nails on, it's kindof going to be hard to type like this, but i'm thinking people will definately notice! From a distance they actually look much better than I thought they would too. Tomorrow is the big day, i'll let everyone know how it goes :)

Jan W
01-25-2006, 07:56 AM
I would love to believe this school assignment is genuine but I am afraid that if it were so how much of a coincidence is it that someone who does not even give a normal name, or post a picture of themselves and have just recently joined this forum, and happens to be a member of a crossdressing forum is asked to participate in cross gender behavior?

Perhaps I will win the lottery after all.

watts
01-25-2006, 08:51 AM
I would love to believe this school assignment is genuine but I am afraid that if it were so how much of a coincidence is it that someone who does not even give a normal name, or post a picture of themselves and have just recently joined this forum, and happens to be a member of a crossdressing forum is asked to participate in cross gender behavior?

Perhaps I will win the lottery after all.

That doesn't really make much sense to me, why would I post this if it wasn't genuine? Also, consider that my interest in crossdressing might influence my class choices. Anyway, believe what you want, I don't think there is much I could do to convince you.

KathrynW
01-25-2006, 09:24 AM
That doesn't really make much sense to me, why would I post this if it wasn't genuine?
Because this kind of thing happens *all* the time around here. ;)

Anyway, believe what you want, I don't think there is much I could do to convince you.
Pics...Pics...Pics...;)

MsJanessa
01-25-2006, 11:30 AM
We are all dying to know---how did it turn out?

watts
01-25-2006, 12:42 PM
Midday report!

I couldn't wear the heels to school this morning because I am chicken and more practically I have to walk a lot and am not used to them. I got some doubletakes on the nails though :D No one asked, and I didn't volunteer that it was for a class, so I may have some interesting rumors out. It was really a challenge typing correctly as well, I'm impressed with girls that can do this for a long time (though I'me getting used to them, and actually really enjoy them despite the whole embarrassment factor) I don't think anyone really noticed the jeans, but that might be because I wear pretty tight jeans normally and I was wearing a jacket most of the time.

I'm going to work now, and am going to wear the heels. Funnily, I'm most worried about seeing people in the elevator here, rather than anything else :)

I should have some pictures tonight!

-- also, I didn't realize that people would fool around with you folk on this sort of thing, I'll try to help convince you all :)

DanaJ
01-25-2006, 06:16 PM
Hey, so you got the nails huh? How did they go on? Have any troubles? What brand did you get?

watts
01-25-2006, 06:47 PM
The nails went on ok, I put them on last night and they still are holding pretty well (though they are starting to come up at the edges a little). They are broadway nails Fast French kit, medium square. They look pretty nice for being glue on (at least to me) although the line of white does not match up at all with where my actual nail bed is. The only trouble I had was that they tended to be a bit too curvy, and some weren't sized quiiite right (but I think that could have been fixed with a file if I'd had more time). I also managed to glue myself to myself on the LAST nail, which was annoying. The hardest thing so far has been typing with them, as I type very quickly and had to change my finger movements a bit because i was afraid of popping them off.

Also, I am currently resizing my pictures :) (sorry but I'm probably going to blur my face too, nothing against anyone here but this forum does show up on searches :( )

watts
01-25-2006, 07:11 PM
Ok! Here are my pictures!

Everything went pretty well, I was really nervous this morning and didn't wear the heels to class (as I said before this was also due to having to walk a lot), but I did have everything else. People didn't really notice the nails until I grabbed something, or passed papers forward, at which point they would usually stare at them from the corner of their eyes for a moment. I had to borrow a pen from a girl in my history class and she stared at them a bit. Overall I didn't feel too uncomfortable. Like I said in the above post, the hardest thing really was typing.

After those two classes were done, it was about 11:30 and I headed home to put on my heels. I was even more nervous this time, but thankfully no one was in the elevator. When I got to work my co-intern was the only one there, and she found me outfit enourmously entertaining (she was impressed that I got the nails on). We chatted about it a bit and got some lunch, she made a few jokes about how it looked like I was liking the heels (which I was :) ).

I saw a few other more senior members of my little company (I'm an intern) but the CEO is having a baby today ( yay!) so I think their minds were so focused on that they probably won't even think about it untill I show them the pictures (which my co-intern took).

By the end of the workday I was still doing well in my heels and nails and whatnot, it was actually really fun at work as I am good friends with the other intern so it wasn't akward. I headed home, and was about to take the stairs, but I'd gotten pretty comfortable in my stuff so I just took the elevator. Sure enough there were some people in it, but I got in anyway.

All in all it was a very interesting experience, and I thank everyone here for the support! I know it isn't as interesting as some of you might of liked, but hey, at least it wasn't a hoax! :)

NylonMan
01-25-2006, 07:17 PM
Very nice. Your nails look real. I can't tell, are you wearing nylons?

watts
01-25-2006, 07:25 PM
Nope, no nylons. I kindof wish I would have as it might have made the shoes a bit more comfortable (but they weren't bad at all, especially for how cheap they were). My legs/feet/armpits were shaved though. (I painted my toenails too, to get more in the mood :) )

DanaJ
01-25-2006, 07:39 PM
Very very nice, thanks for sharing - if you need removal tips, send me a pM :)

Sedona
01-25-2006, 09:25 PM
Watts, sorry about the mini Riots about your possibly being a poseur. You Rule! Wonderful pix, and welcome to the forum, hope you can stick around for a while.

And, DanaJ, last time I tried to pry off nails, my thumbs ached for a week. Can you PM me as well, or post here?

Cheers,

Fallen Angel
01-25-2006, 09:37 PM
I have to agee with danaj just do you nails and so peoples reactions.If your frightend about going out in "la fem " mode and you show uncertaincies this may knock you back a few steps and you may never venture out side again>now if you were outspoken and had an a i dont care what people think attitude then i would say go for it XXX

watts
01-25-2006, 10:16 PM
Thanks everyone for the compliments! No worries about thinking that I was fooling around, I guess I never thought that would be something that happened often.

I've been wearing my full outfit since late this morning, and I have to say that I'm kinda bummed to be taking it all off tonight. I went and got the mail, took out my trash, etc. and saw a couple people. I didn't notice there reaction much as I was focusing on finding my keys, but I have to say that it was really an enjoyable experience all around. I NEVER would have gone out dressed like that had this assignment not come along, and it felt great! I'm even doing ok with the typing now.

I just hope no one completely wrote off the thread thinking it was a trick :(

Anyhoo, thanks everyone! I probably would have only worn girl jeans or something equally unassuming were it not for all of your support. (and thanks to those who gave advice on not going completely nuts too :) )

uknowhoo
01-26-2006, 12:20 AM
I'm glad to hear your exeriment came off so nicely :D , too bad the femme details have to come off too.:o Thanks for shring the pics. Take care, Tammi