PDA

View Full Version : Whats the the difference between a mirl and a metrosexual?

Mistress Frillee
01-23-2006, 06:42 PM
Whats the the difference between a mirl and a metrosexual? :confused:

susandrea
01-23-2006, 07:12 PM
New feminine bloke is no joke

By Liam Houlihan

Herald Sun
June 17, 2005

A NEW breed of ultra-feminine straight men has arrived that make the metrosexual look like a rugged caveman.

Variously called "mirls" - male girls - or "hermaphrodudes", they're not afraid to carry a manbag, wear feminine jewellery, spend a fortune on fashion or work in traditionally female jobs.

Yet when it comes to romance they remain committed to pursuing the opposite sex.

While metrosexuals could be identified by their pink T-shirts and occasional moisturiser, hermaphrodudes take it a step further, wear pink scarfs and work in women's fashion and lingerie shops.

In recognition of the mirl revolution, female fashion chain Sportsgirl released a line of "boy jewellery" specifically for guys.

Sportsgirl spokeswoman Prue Murphy said the line of wood and bead necklaces, bracelets and leather chokers and wrist straps had sold well.

"Girls would buy them for their boyfriends or a guy might come in with his girlfriend and see them and take an interest," she said.

"Guys are definitely taking much more care in the way they look and it's not considered bad to be wearing bracelets."

New research by youth forecaster Lifelounge shows urban lads spend only slightly less on fashion than females of the same age.

Nearly half of males between 16 and 29 spend more than $150 a month on fashion, and nearly one in five spends more than $250.

Auskar Surbakti said he was simply one of a lot of guys who were not particularly macho.

The proud owner of three pink shirts, a new pink scarf, and 10 man-bags, insists on "a different bag for different occasions" and struggles to leave home with just a wallet and a phone.

The student, 21, spends a quarter of his income on fashion and reckons his mates are baffled as to how he can pay $100 for a haircut.

"I just bought a pink scarf and didn't think twice about it because I thought it would go with my pink striped jumper," he said.

Mr Surbakti's feminine traits and habitual use of lip balm and chapsticks does nothing to put off female suitors.

A female admirer once even paid $50 for a kiss from him at a university fundraiser.

Mr Surbakti is part of a global trend that has also been described as the birth of "hybrid man".

International research spearheaded by French marketing and style consultants recently found that macho men such as Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone are an endangered species.

But isn't the mirl synonymous with the metrosexual? Not quite.

So, who makes a mirl?

Mirls have no qualms about working in a lingerie boutique (and not for the seedy reasons you are thinking of) and spending the bulk of their salaries on jewellery, skincare and clothes.

The major difference between the metrosexual and the mirl is the latter's ultra-femininity — it makes you ponder "is he or is he not straight?"

Why, mirls won't even baulk at wearing pink shawls but that's about as pink as they will get. Don't mistake them for contributing to the pink-dollar economy because mirls like and woo the opposite sex.

After the metrosexual, this further-modified male variant should come as even better news to the fashion and beauty industry that has been courting the male dollar aggressively of late.

While the metrosexual may splurge on an understated platinum ring, the mirl prefers things a little more RuPaul-esque and would go for a diamond solitaire pinkie ring instead.

The metrosexual may pamper himself with expensive designer fragrances but the mirl takes things a little further — if a woman's fragrance appeals to him, he'll get it.

Metrosexuals buy men's skincare products faithfully but mirls may also snap up men's make-up. This means retailers and marketers have a whole new world to tap into should they want to target this group of fashion-savvy spenders.

The emergence of the mirl may also be good news for women.

He understands that the colour fuchsia does wonders for your complexion (and his, too, so be prepared to share that new fuchsia fitted shirt), thinks that diamonds are a girl and a mirl's best friends, trades tips on the best nude-coloured lip gloss and reminds you of your best gay friend with his catty jokes and his flamboyant moves on the dance floor.

And the best thing is … the mirl wants to date you, too.

Stormgirl
01-23-2006, 07:21 PM
uh....um....:rolleyes: :thumbsdn: I dont even know what to say.

Laurie Ann
01-23-2006, 08:34 PM
I still don't understand the difference. I am so confused.

Butterfly Bill
01-23-2006, 09:03 PM
But what if you wear the femme clothes (as in cloth -es), but not the makeup and the jewelry?
(Does this make me a girl-man or "gan"?)

Helen MC
01-24-2006, 12:10 AM
Would a Mirl wear panties instead of male underpants, would they wear a skirt or dress? It doesn't say but one thing is good out of all this, the strict clothing code "Berlin Wall" is following its concrete predecessor into a pile of rubble. Thanks and good luck to the Mirls and the Metrosexuals. We may yet see men wearing skirts and dresses accepted in day to day life apart from in redneck areas.

Rachel Morley
01-24-2006, 12:18 AM
I always thought a Mirl was a "male-girl"....whatever that means. :undecided

Miriannah
01-24-2006, 03:56 AM
Think of it this way, one emulates gay guys, the other emulates women. To elaborate:

Metrosexuals are basically just straight guys who have many of the habits gay guys do.

Mirls in contrast, if I'm following this right, have many of the habits actual women do.

Lindahexi
01-24-2006, 10:36 AM
Quote Miriannah:

Think of it this way, one emulates gay guys, the other emulates women. To elaborate:

Metrosexuals are basically just straight guys who have many of the habits gay guys do.

Mirls in contrast, if I'm following this right, have many of the habits actual women do.

I got that, thanks, guess I'm a MIRL for sure.

LINDA.

Jillian310
01-24-2006, 11:18 AM
WHATEVER! I use these groups as a 'cover' with my wife for some elements of CDing. When I began wearing panties and shaved, it was because 'the younger guys find it more sanitary and sexual'. When I had my ears pierced, I had cover. When I started having my nails and toenails done, I had cover. When I started growing my hair, I had cover. When I spray my wife's perfume into my panties before I put them on, which I do every day, I have cover. And I began these activities only @ a year or so ago, and I am 68+, nearing 69! Thank your metro sexuals, mirls, and whatever! You have made it possible to be in the closet but with the door ajar permiting a little light in and a little bit of Jillian out!

kathy gg
01-24-2006, 11:19 AM
I think it is super freaking cool!

Alot of trends like these start in japan or in europe.

I can tell you that here near Toronto, I see boys in like 3rd grade and up getting highlights for their hair and most parents dont' think twice.

I think it is great when we can further blur the lines of gender and stereotypes!

Of course this is where our future might be headed. And I have to say I like it! Androgenous boys were always the ones I noticed first!

MsJanessa
01-24-2006, 01:13 PM
the difference is clothing, make-up(t-girls use a lot more) and attitude

Tiffy
01-24-2006, 04:30 PM
Would a Mirl wear panties instead of male underpants, would they wear a skirt or dress? It doesn't say but one thing is good out of all this, the strict clothing code "Berlin Wall" is following its concrete predecessor into a pile of rubble. Thanks and good luck to the Mirls and the Metrosexuals. We may yet see men wearing skirts and dresses accepted in day to day life apart from in redneck areas.

Even rednecks crossdress.:angry:

April Marie