PDA

View Full Version : Started finasteride and spiro

Charla
10-05-2014, 08:01 AM
After much discussion with my therapist about my objectives, I decided that I want to take the approach of exploring moderation of my GID. I decided also to approach with family doctor with the talking points that I did not want to transition, but wanted to ask his opinion about a medical solution to this ongoing state of mind.

He understood my position and said that there were a couple of medicines out there. I brought up spiro and he immediately recognized it, and when I commented that its use for GID was an off-label application, he said that the medical community recognized that and it was commonly used to treat women who had hairy faces. He said that there was one other med to go with this and he would look then up.

He returned a few minutes later and told me that he had emailed a prescription for spiro and finasteride to my pharmacy. He gave me a 30 day supply with 11 refills for both with the comment that I could check back in a month and see if he needed to increase the dosage.

So after all my fears about this, it was a non-event. The doctor acted professionally - he even commented that he had a friend that transitioned about 5 years ago. I got my insurance to cover the costs, too. I wish had done this several years ago but now it seems the only person holding me back was me.

I am on day 3. I do feel calmer and I find that I need to drink more water. It's a good feeling to be calm.

Persephone
10-05-2014, 03:33 PM
Yes, Charla, drink water and make sure your doctor is carefully watching your potassium/sodium balance! Spiro is a "Potassium-sparing diuretic" that can create a potentially dangerious imbalance.

That being said, Finasteride can have a very possitive effect on your prostate, possibly preventing some prostate conditions, and it is great for retaining a head of hair! (I am not a physician nor do I pretend to offer medical advice, always consult your physician).

Personally, I love my finasteride and low-dose spiro.

But will a finasteride/spiro cocktail "moderate" your GID? That could be a very controversial question as some have suggested that it can increase GID. One person even has a lawsuit going, saying it turned him into a woman!

YMMV!

Hugs,
Persephone.

Cheryl123
10-08-2014, 03:31 PM
I'm glad you are feeling better Charla. If you follow these threads you will see that people have different reactions to these drugs. Since you don't wish to transition, that eliminates any long term use of estrogen. Spiro and finasteride will decrease the amount of testosterone you body produces and inhibit the absorption of testosterone it does produce. Since your body produces a small amount of E on it's on, lowering the T level may very well increase the absorption of E, or so the theory goes. The bottom line, of course, is that if it makes you feel better, then great.

Drink plenty of water, watch the potassium levels and consider eliminating from your diet potassium rich foods. Good luck. I wish you well.

DebbieL
10-08-2014, 05:36 PM
Seeing a doctor is a good idea. Glad you took that approach. Sounds like the doctor is working to block the masculine without turning on the feminine.

Spiro is also used for blood pressure. As others have pointed out, your doctor will watch your kidney function, blood pressure, and potassium.
Finistrade works a bit differently, and is good for prostate reduction, but also blocks and lowers T-levels.
It sounds like your doctor is being supportive based on the needs you have expressed.

If you are feeling that much calmer that soon, it's probably mostly placebo effect. You're calmer because you have taken action on something that has caused you stress for a very long time. That can be very calming as well.

Your approach of starting T-Blockers is also good if you aren't sure that you want to transition (yet). You can see how you adjust and accept the changes that result from loss of testosterone, but you won't have grown breasts that have to be surgically removed if you decide that transition was a bad idea.

Hopefully, your therapist will help you sort out doubts and concerns, and Real Life Experience will help you decide if this is the right choice for you.

Good luck and congratulations.

LeaP
10-08-2014, 08:27 PM
Finistrade works a bit differently, and is good for prostate reduction, but also blocks and lowers T-levels.

Debbie! Finasteride doesn't block or lower testosterone. It inhibits the conversion of testosterone to DHT (5a-dyhydrotestosterone) by binding the 5a-reductase enzyme. Serum testosterone levels can RISE with Finasteride.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14624915