PDA

View Full Version : Hateful article by Norah Vincent

Gilded Graper
01-23-2006, 10:54 PM
In 1890's Magnus Hirschfeld, MD and sexologist developed the theory of a third, "intermediate sex" between men and women.
He also introduced the concept of 'a woman trapped in a man's body.'

Since then we learned there are women with XY (male) chromosomes, with vagina and ovaries, and men with XX (female) chromosome with testicles and penis.

Norah Vicent, the lesbian F2M CD on last Friday's 20/20 wrote 'Self-Made Man: One Woman's Journey Into Manhood and Back Again', and the following in The Advocate, THE gay political magazine.

Cunning Linguists

Norah Vincent
THE ADVOCATE
June 20, 2000

Nowadays it's fashionable to pretend that sex and gender mean the same thing. They don't. It's just that language has been hijacked by politics.

Naturally, many transsexuals, the most draconian arm of the PC language police, are fond of mis-using the word gender-mostly because, unlike the word sex, there's no biological imperative attached to it. This is where the postmodernists are right. Gender in humans is socially constructed and therefore fungible. Coiffed wigs and makeup are feminine now, but our oh-so-butch founding fathers wore them once.

Sex, however, much to every transsexual's chagrin, is not socially constructed. It can be cosmetically constructed or reconstructed, but this doesn't change the fact that though some people are born hermaphrodites, the vast majority of people are born male or female.
Regardless, society has no say in the matter except in neonatal surgery. For purposes of procreation there are two sexes. Anything else is a genetic/biochemical anomaly that we correct to save kids humiliation in the locker room.

Transsexual activists are always telling us that it's a crime to surgically reassign hermaphrodites at birth. I agree. If I'm born doubly blessed in the south 40, then the doctors should let me beeven if I get teased-until I'm old enough to decide my own fate.

So why, as adults, do transsexuals mutilate their bodies in order to make them conform to the fashionable version of the opposite sex and gender? That only reinforces oppressive stereotypes every bit as much as liposuction or a bimbo's boob job. If You're a man in a woman's body, then live androgynously if you're such a revolutionary. Don't conform. I do it every day, and it isn't particularly easy. Half the time I'm sir, and half the time I'm ma'am, and that's how it should be when sex and gender don't matter.

If you truly want to thwart gender norms, don't pull a fast one on the dictionary or your poor blameless privates. Live with all the polymorphy God gave you, body and soul. It's a lot more radical.
The FULL June, 2000 article is at:
http://www.ntac.org/news/00/06/20vincent.html

Still living in 1868 miss norah?

Marlena Dahlstrom
01-24-2006, 12:46 AM
Yeah, Vincent past writings have been fairly transphobic -- reflective of a particular strain of gender queer thinking that wants to abolish gender. And there is something to the point -- harshly expressed to be sure -- that many TSs are as staunch defenders of the gender binary just as much as social conservatives.

Vincent's mistake was assuming sex and gender are the same thing. I'm curious to see if her views have changed as a result of her experiences posing as a man. (People do change sometimes, ya know...) Hopefully the experience may made her realize that sex is what's between your legs and gender is between your ears.