PDA

View Full Version : itching to get out there

Erica3
10-09-2014, 05:30 AM
I have only dressed completely a few times and always had help from a makeover service. Since then I have purchased some basic clothes and a wig but am nowhere at all a makeup professional. I have been wanting to try a CD meet up in pa but I'm afraid I'll either overdrwss , underdress, or my makeup will be so bad it'll look horrible. I have heard of the raven meet up in pa and want to go but not sure how formal or informal I should dress for a meet up. Any suggestions?

Donnagirl
10-09-2014, 05:45 AM
The first time I went to such a meet, I went in drab and really regretted it. I could not wait until the next meet to go dressed. It does not matter what you wear, how your make up looks or whether you've made a inadvertent fashion faux pas... One thing I'm sure of is that no one will criticise, no one will be anything but supportive. You will get advice, assistance, help and friendship. Everyone there will have been through the same experience. There is no such thing as dressed wrong (providing you maintain decency that is.)

I recently took a friend along to my local group. For her first visit she went dressed. At the end of the evening, she did not want to leave. She enjoyed the experience a little too much I fear....

Sara Jessica
10-09-2014, 06:00 AM
All of the issues you have brought up are fairly easily to address...

1. Overdress? Nearly impossible in a gaggle of CD'ers. If it is a support/social group that you are describing, then chances are very good that a decent percentage of the attendees prefer to dress it up when they go out & about for a myriad of reasons. In the group I sometimes attend in San Diego, there are several who consistently overdress in terms of venue, weather, etc. but rarely would they be considered overdressed in the context of the group gathering. It helps that our area is semi-secluded.

But why worry? This is your first outing and while you may want to impress the group, do this for YOU. If you prefer a dress, hosiery & heels, then go for it. You only have one first time, make it count.

2. Underdress? Probably just as impossible. If your group gets together in a public place and you want to "blend", then consider what other women attending the same venue might be wearing. If in doubt, see #1.

3. Makeup. This is where it gets fun. For your first meeting with the group, you want to look your best. I would schedule a makeover at a department store. I would recommend scouting ahead of time rather than calling, talking to a few different counters to find an artist who is truly enthusiastic about making you beautiful. Although I cannot stand Mac cosmetics personally (their foundations make me break out), many here have had wonderful experiences at their counters and the actual Mac stores should still carry their fullest coverage foundation which may or may not be an issue for you. Be sure to ask about the minimum purchase requirement, make your appointment and HAVE FUN!!!

DonnaT
10-09-2014, 01:53 PM
The Raven is a club, so I suggest club wear, but nothing too daring. Something comfortable. Most of the gals will not be wearing jeans.

Annaliese
10-09-2014, 02:01 PM
We all have had the fear, I once thought that I could never go out, I was at a Gold rush, I had been to Studio Light told them I was there for the Gold Rush, gave them my name (male) then told them I could not make it out of the room, That night there was a knock at the door, there stood Dianna she wait for me to get dress and took me down. I had the time of my life. Go to the CD meet up

Teresa
10-09-2014, 02:10 PM
Erica,
You have raised a good point here ! I have blown hot and cold over getting out to a group meeting ! All those things go through your mind, from thinking you should rush out and buy all new underwear to panicing about your wig, whether to dressup or down !

I was invited to a meeting by a member on the forum, with the possible request of giving a talk on photography ( being a professional for thirty years ). I had a new outfit picked out from Next and would love to go through with it ! The situation with my wife and family was just too much of a stumbling block ! Without that restriction I certainly would do it, I'm sure it's exactly what Teresa needs but the man could end up in deep **** !!

I'd probaly end up like Donna's friend and enjoy it too much ! If that's possible !!

Adriana Moretti
10-09-2014, 03:07 PM
Erica,...I hope THIS time you make it out to Raven....I will be there...already booked for the weekend...it is a great place for a first outing, you will be very comfortable there. Try and make BOTH events Friday and Sat....and if you cant make both...come early Sat to the Cub room...it is a nice ice breaker...as is Friday's meet and greet. Hopefully Gretchen..another member of the forum here who made it for the first time at the last event will pop on and vouch...she was fine...and me and the other gals all had a good time. I wouldnt worry so much about what to wear, just be comfortable in whatever you choose.Styles vary...if you join the meetup group they have...you can see all the gals pictures so you can get a feel, but styles go everywhere there. They also do makeovers there. If you need any info at all on any of it...feel free to email contact me..I will answer any questions you have. You should REALLY try and make it this time. Here are some pics from the last one. As you can see I went Dirtbag style LOL I also did a review re-cap on the event. and how a typical weekend there flows...you can see it by clicking the link down below and scrolling to the bottom. xoxo hope you make it down....we got your back.

paulaprimo
10-09-2014, 03:22 PM
adriana is the raven pro so stick with her, but not too closely as she has a problem with the vertical position...LOL
anything is acceptable at raven. i'm not a flashy dresser and dress for comfort, so i wore jeans all weekend and was fine,
so wear what you like, a must go for fun and meeting and making friends!! :)

Adriana Moretti
10-09-2014, 03:29 PM
ha ha..yea...if I am not falling down in potholes in the parking lot, or spilling drinks off the bar cause I tawk with my hands, ....I survived my first time thanks to Paula and Sammi....you will too....xoxo....Paula thats a blackmail photo...im gunna get you for that...

Beverley Sims
10-09-2014, 04:06 PM
Erica,

I was going to say casual. :)

But Adriana Moretti's lot and Paula Primo, suggest diferently.

Me I am going out to See Attle and get some clam chowder. :)

GretchenJ
10-09-2014, 07:21 PM
Hopefully Gretchen..another member of the forum here who made it for the first time at the last event will pop on and vouch...she was fine...and me and the other gals all had a good time.

..and vouch I shall! I have been to a few small meet ups, but had the opportunity to get to the Raven to the meet and greet. Totally different experience with over 50 girls in attendance. Also went out for the chance to meet Adriana and Samantha from the forum that I hoped that will be there. I knew Sami RSVPed, but was surprised and ecstatic to see Adriana across the bar, trying anything to get the bartenders attention to take her drink order.

To say I had a great time would be a major understatement. You are among people who get you, and are so understanding and friendly, I had a hard time saying goodbye. And if you run in to Ms. Moretti, she will have you feeling at ease, I promise.

So if you are on the fence Erica, stick your toes in the water and venture out. And if you go, my recommendation is not dress to blend, but dress the way that makes you feel good about yourself. You will just regret not wearing that LBD or skirt outfit and heels you were dying to go outside with.

i am fervently trying to figure a way to get to the next outing in November. If I can work it out, I will look for you!

My only regret was not getting a picture of the 3 of us together!

Gretch

Jenniferathome
10-09-2014, 09:33 PM
...1. Overdress? Nearly impossible in a gaggle of CD'ers. ...

:heehee: that's a good one.

kkaye
10-09-2014, 10:00 PM
233863Hello Erica:
I'm itching to get out there all week. I am a weekend warrior girl. It takes me to long to get my face on which erases any signs of him, and I have to dress away from home so, I make it on weekends when, I can take my time and trip plan. My first time out was in the downtown area. My only problem were the heels. Uneven sidewalks will make some of us walk like ducks. Dress for you and your right to be you.

Erica3
10-10-2014, 12:31 AM
Thank you all so much