PDA

View Full Version : How many of us are in a female dominated profession?

Stephanie Julianna
10-10-2014, 03:11 PM
After I posted my last thread about my 20th anniversary in nursing I got some feedback from other, I hate to use this word, MALE nurses. It made me think. How many of us here are in professions that are recognized more as female professions? I can think of the obvious, such as nursing, cosmetology, hairdressing, executive assistant (secretary). So show us your colors and fill in the blanks. I know I am proud to be a nurse. Show your pride.

Sarah Beth
10-10-2014, 03:22 PM
I'm not working at it now but for years I worked in Social Services. There were times when I was at meeting when I was the only male there.

Rachel_B
10-10-2014, 03:23 PM
I am a cashier with Wal-Mart. While a cashier isn't considered a female profession, it is a job that is more dominated by females then males

macada10
10-10-2014, 03:43 PM
I worked for a time on a lingerie shop...and indeed I did perform well.

Trish
10-10-2014, 03:44 PM
The 'keep busy' job I took after I retired, purchasing for the county, I was the only male in the office. All other empliyees were female. I stayd fifteen months.

Michaelasfun
10-10-2014, 03:46 PM
Social Services for me, too. I've been referred to as one of the girls even tho I'm not "out" at work, so it made me smile:)

MsVal
10-10-2014, 03:54 PM
I worked a couple of years as a school bus driver for a county wide system (well over 100 routes). I will never forget the first time I stepped into the drivers lounge and found saw so many women and so few men.

I figured that it could either be a very good or very bad thing and walked right in.

It turned out to be a very good thing. I played the part of a clueless man (easy for me to do) and about 10 women took me under their wing.

taylormercedes
10-10-2014, 04:02 PM
I'm right there with you in nursing, even in the ER 80% of the staff is women. As much as I like girl talk about weddings, and clothes and tanning, etc; i do find myself wishing to talk with the guys more and more.

Michelle Crossfire
10-10-2014, 05:05 PM
As a firefighter, not so much. A few females here and there. Some of the ones i have met don't belong, because they simply can't do the job. As a paramedic, a little more so with the private ambulances as opposed to the fire depts, mostly because of the physical demands of that job as well.

EllenJo
10-10-2014, 05:16 PM
Sara Beth and Michelle, I am with you in social services. At one point my boss referred to me as the token male and asked me to make the coffee for a meeting. I did her one better and not only set up the coffee but brought the home made apple cake to go with it. All the other employees wanted my recipe. I often wondered if I was wearing the prettiest panties in the room.
Hugs
Ellen Jo

Mellisastocking996
10-10-2014, 05:34 PM
Working in social care for a good number of years with women predominately. Always felt under represented but strangely enjoyed it!

Sarasometimes
10-10-2014, 05:39 PM
I've done both hairdresser and now firefighter. I loved doing hair but it was also a bit like being in a candy store and not having money buy anything. I had little opportunity to indulge in the feminine offering but was surrounded by them.

AngelaYVR
10-10-2014, 05:47 PM
I work as professional in a field that is about 80% women. I don't want to say what it is as the type of work requires a large amount of trust and everyone knows everyone else. I've always related to women better so it's good for me.

Angela

devida
10-10-2014, 07:33 PM
I am a professional jeweler. I design and make everything we sell so I am not the type of jeweler you encounter in a jewelry store. Craftspeople like me are known as artist jewelers or metalsmiths. There seem to be as many female as male artist jewelers. There are even a few transgender jewelers out there!

MissTee
10-10-2014, 07:52 PM
Here's a twist: I am male and in a male dominated industry. I am widely known for championing many women/female recognition and mentoring programs, and for advocating for women's advancement in the industry. Am also known for my great passion for my daughters and granddaughters and creating a future for them without bias. I accept that, but there is a secret ingredient, too.

Tiffanyselkoe
10-10-2014, 09:35 PM
I have been a nurse for 20 years and still enjoy it

Janine cd
10-10-2014, 10:06 PM
I was a teacher for 35 years. At the time that I started, that was a female dominated profession, especially if you didn't coach a male sport.

Crissy Kay
10-10-2014, 10:13 PM
I believe that my field, being a PCA, or personal care attendant, does employ more women then men.

LilSissyStevie
10-11-2014, 12:49 AM
When I started out in analytical chemistry the field was male dominated but by the time I retired it was female dominated.

Diane Smith
10-11-2014, 12:53 AM
I am a high school teacher. The split in our school is about 60%/40% women to men. It's a very pleasant environment for me.

- Diane

Kaze_
10-11-2014, 03:29 AM
Certainly not me.

I work in the oilfield, its very male dominated.

Out of the 100s of people I've interacted with in the work place I can count the number women on two hands.

Melanie B
10-11-2014, 03:41 AM
The company I work for employs more men than women, but it is certainly "female dominated", because the managing director is a woman.

Vickie_CDTV
10-11-2014, 04:48 AM
I know all about being in a female dominated profession, about 98-99% of electrologists are women, I am a rare exception (being a male), though a majority of the very top elite electrologists in the USA are men.

MsDanii
10-11-2014, 04:57 AM
I have predominately worked in call centres, its a 80% ratio women to men... Most of my friends are women too...
Joys of life evolution

Raychel
10-11-2014, 06:22 AM
Working as an Auto mechanic for 42 years, definitely dominated by men.

wanagione
10-11-2014, 07:53 AM
I'm an RN, yep woman dominated, but i don't care.

OKPink
10-11-2014, 10:11 PM
I am in social services/counseling). I am often the only male at meetings. I am also quite certain I always have the prettiest panties on :)

abbylhr
10-11-2014, 11:30 PM
Flight attendant, a very female dominated world.

VAWyman
10-11-2014, 11:42 PM
Medical support assistant. Basically an office assistant to a team of doctors and nurses, all female. I love it. Two male doctors, two male nurses and me vs. five to six female doctors, twice as many nurses, and six support female support assistants.

grace7777
10-11-2014, 11:55 PM
I am not sure accounting is thought of as a woman's profession, but apparently 60% of accountants and auditors are women. From my experience the higher the job the more likely the job is held by a male, and if it is an accounting clerk job the more likely it is held by a female.

Teresa
10-12-2014, 05:08 AM
Stephanie,
As a professional photographer for thirty years, the main stay of my business was weddings so I spent much of my time ( perhaps too much ! ) arranging beautiful dresses around some very pretty women ! I guess being a CDer did help ! Not because I wanted to be the bride but trying to make her look her best ! I must confess I always wanted to be bridesmaid, I loved the variety of colours and how much easier the dresses were to wear !

If I had two or three weddings to cover in one day it was exhausting a CDer can get too much of a good thing !!

It always amused me that the guys were so reluctant to even touch the wedding dress ( I guess frightened they might suddenly become transformed CDers ! How terrible !!) and yet it would have looked odd if I stood back and didn't arrange them correctly ! and to think I got paid for it as well !!

MsVal
10-12-2014, 08:46 AM
I once had a job assignment where I replaced a woman in a six woman group that had been known as "Chick Central". It was great. I felt so much more relaxed and had more fun with those gals than I can remember ever having with guys. It was a casual office and I wore bright Hawaiian shirts all summer long.
(Hmmm... that was about the time I began to wonder about, and began investigating what turned out to be my urge to crossdress.)

weyburn
10-20-2014, 01:33 AM
Near on thirty years as a nurse here

NicoleScott
10-20-2014, 08:30 AM
It's just the way I am, that I make a better support person than a leader. Yet, my career has been in management. I have the skills and the mindset to make a great executive administrative assistant, a job that I think (being a guy) I would never get serious consideration.

Sarah Doepner
10-20-2014, 08:49 AM
My career was in Law Enforcement, a male dominated profession. However I was not an officer, but a member of the professional support team working with the analytics. Once you move out of the Uniform part of law enforcement it seems there a quite a few more women, so I was on the cusp once again. Now I'm retired and if I live long enough it will be in a group that is predominately women since most men seem to die a little earlier.

Allison2006
10-20-2014, 08:29 PM
I've been a nurse for more than 25 years now.

Vintage4sarah
10-21-2014, 04:43 AM
Being a life long educator, I have always closely with women a I have a lot of respect for them. Most of my friends that I have developed in this career are women, some of whom I try to emulate when I become Sarah. I just wish that I could share this side of me with them, but alas it will forever remain a secret.

Samantha_Smile
10-21-2014, 07:18 AM
I'm a Staff Nurse in a North West A&E department. Been there for nearly 6 years. Been qualified 9 years and I've worked in care since I was 19 (am now 32).
Side points of note, I am pushing to become an approved mentor to the student nurses we get in out dept. as I am very passionate about forwarding the knowledge and skills to the new generation.
I am also our department's lead nurse for Equality and Diversity, I'm currently in the process of developing an 'Equality/Diversity Crash course' due to doctor rotation and high staff turn over (A&E is silly busy).

CarlaWestin
10-21-2014, 08:44 AM
I'm not in a profession that would be a predominantly female venue but, there's been quite a thorough house cleaning in management. The result is that my new director is female. Extremely personable and professional and totally appreciates the experience and expertise I bring to the department. Very refreshing after having worked with back stabbing unqualified trolls for nine years. Also, the entire HR staff has been revamped with intelligent women.

Hmmm? Female dominated, HR staff, Vegas style office attire.

I might have to get in trouble, again!

joank
10-21-2014, 10:38 AM
educator-39 years (ret). 15 years Administration the rest as a teacher-both regular and special education HS. ( I really liked teaching and hated being a principal.)

Cathypb
11-06-2014, 07:13 PM
Likewise, flight attendant for 20+ years

Nikki.Kontos
11-06-2014, 09:31 PM
I coach sports so I would say from what I have seen the majority of workers are men

Sarina Curtis
11-08-2014, 01:19 PM
Teaching English to children in Japan means I am seriously out-numbered by the ladies at work by at least 4:1.

celeste26
11-08-2014, 03:38 PM
I am entering the field of professional tax preparers and it seems like it is dominated by women. The classes I take are filled with women and the teachers are women.

karanne
11-09-2014, 06:36 AM
IT work is supposedly dominated by men, but of the five people in my staff, there's only one guy (and it's not me). We pinch-hit to cover each other, as the City Council still has a hiring freeze on since the start of the Bush Recession.

It's frustrating - interviewing these people knowing that I have 0% chance of actually HIRING them...

ChristyN246
11-09-2014, 12:55 PM
I used to work as a probation officer. I was one of two males in the county. Then I switched to working for the school district where it's about 20% male.

lilly_may
11-09-2014, 06:18 PM
I used to work in construction but for the last 8 years I have been a house husband looking after our 3 teenage kids and also working part time in housekeeping within hotels and holiday cottages, a very female dominated industry.

girl_in_pantyhose
11-09-2014, 07:48 PM
RN too. Who would have thought that so many of us would have ended in this line of work. I often wonder about a few of my "male" co-workers. I just don't have the guts to out myself at work. I do wear ladies nurse shoes and tights, but the only people who notice are the ladies.

Michelle colson
11-10-2014, 03:43 PM
I'm an HVAC mechanic by trade which is very male dominated. In fact, I've never seen a female HVAC tech before, although there's bound to be a few out there. I work in a hospital that is something like 80% female though so I'm surrounded by women all day.