PDA

View Full Version : Did my toddler just suggest I dress for Halloween?

AletaHawk
10-11-2014, 11:25 PM
This story was too sweet to not share. My 3-year old is having her first Halloween where she's really aware of what's going on, and has decided she's going to be Dorothy this year. This morning, she was telling me her whole plan in that adorable way toddlers do. First she says our dog will be Toto. Then she announces my wife will be the Scarecrow. Naturally, I said who's Daddy going to be? Without hesitation, she says "the witch!" :eek: At first I thought she was being silly, but later in the day, while driving with my wife, she told her the same plan.

The question is, dare I play along? My daughter would be none the wiser, and it would probably make her very happy. This would be a HUGE step for me (I've always been an underwear only CDer, and not even that often), but one I've felt the itch on for a while now. Am I crazy for even considering this?

carahawkwind
10-11-2014, 11:42 PM
I have a three year old too. I've never really dressed around her, but he's asked me to wear my wife's dresses several times out of nowhere and we play pretend games where I'm girl or where she's a boy, I usually go along with it. Just last week she did however find a picture on my phone of me dressed, she told me it was cute. I think my wife and I are going to try a fairly modest gender swap costume this year and see how she reacts to that. I'm pretty much going to have fully come out her at some point, she's just far too observant, curious and good at getting into things to really stop her from finding out.

Beverley Sims
10-12-2014, 02:00 AM
Go, on! Be a witch and play along. :)

bimini1
10-12-2014, 03:10 AM
Tough call. Last night my 3 year old daughter asked me what I was going to be. I said what do you want me to be? She said Dora The Explorer.

Rachelakld
10-12-2014, 04:05 AM
Why not go as a witch, I did to the work function.
I was a bit OTT, and used lots of liquid latex to meld an extension of my nose to my face
Only once I spoke did they know who I was.
About 10.30pm everyone was feeling my boobs, then someone borrowed it, so I was a 1 boobed witch for 15 minutes or so

My daughters see me dressed often, but they are teens

Jeri Ann
10-12-2014, 05:07 AM
There are two witches in the Wizard of OZ.

Leahann
10-12-2014, 06:35 AM
Go for it! It might become a tradition, and besides, it's Halloween.

phylis anne
10-12-2014, 06:56 AM
yes ,yes go for it ! and if little dorothy gives you a hard time just remember the immortal lines===== I'll get you my pretty! sounds like fun but beware of little girls with water buckets or you'll be melting ,mellllllllllllllllllllllting
hugs and have a happy halloween phylis anne

Sarah Beth
10-12-2014, 08:03 AM
I would have to say that you should just go ahead and do it. I mean she is your child and she asked you to and it would be so cute the three of you in Wizard land. If anyone says anything tell them the truth it was your daughters idea and you just couldn't say no.

Andy66
10-12-2014, 08:11 AM
Haha! The things we do to make our kids happy, right? Youre not going to let little Dorothy down, are you? Make sure you take plenty of pictures. Shell probably get a kick out of them when she gets older.

Diane Douglas
10-12-2014, 10:11 AM
OMG, I can't believe you let your 3 yr. old watch The Wizard of OZ. I still hate monkeys and I blame this movie for it. :) Seriously though, if your wife is good with it, you should give it a try and enjoy yourself.

Victoria StJohn
10-12-2014, 10:55 AM
Aleta, what a perfect opportunity to dress up. I did this a few years ago with my daughter and wife--3 witches. If you go the whole nine yards, heels, hose, undergarments, etc., just add green makeup to your face and nobody will be thinking of CD. Fun, fun and great memories. :) If only I had the opportunity again, so sad.:sad:

Ginger Jameson
10-12-2014, 01:46 PM
I say go for it. Kids that age have no gender hangups unless they were instilled by the parents, so there's no need to worry about if she remembers or not. My grand daughter is also 3 and she loves it when Muhmuh dresses up. For me, her acceptance went a long way towards helping with my own acceptance.

Laura912
10-12-2014, 02:47 PM
Go for it. Might try it myself. Won't need any green makeup, though. Will be green with envy.

leeann_360
10-12-2014, 07:32 PM
I say go for it, be the good witch in her pretty dress. ( you don't want to scare your daughter..LOL)

My wife and I are going to a wedding reception / Halloween party next Saturday night and all of my wifes family will be there along with our daughter, none of who have ever seen me dress. My wife is going as the Pope and I am going as a Nun, with full lingerie and womans shoes. We just found out today our niece is going as a ****ty Nun and her husband as a Priest...... This is going to be sooooooo much fun, I cant wait.

alwayshave
10-12-2014, 08:34 PM
Billie Burke was a hottie, Margret Hamilton not so much, go as Glenda the good witch (i.e., Billie Burke).

Tina_gm
10-12-2014, 08:41 PM
Leanne, for my 1st halloween with my wife I was the priest and she was a she devil. I was turned to the ways of evil lol. As for the OP and their 3 year old, If you are looking for validation on Halloween from your 3 year old, you should be the lion. Sorry to be the Debbie downer on this one, but a 3 year old is not who you should be looking to for validation for what you want to do, that would be you.

5150 Girl
10-13-2014, 12:01 PM
It's Halloween. DO IT!!!

Stephanie47
10-13-2014, 12:08 PM
There are two witches in the Wizard of OZ.

Exactly, play either the wicked witch of the east or west or Glenda "The Good Witch" in her lovely sparkling gown???

Judith96a
10-13-2014, 12:11 PM
Go for it! I'd go for the Wicked Witch of the West, that way you get to play with green foundation! Great fun!

natcrys
10-13-2014, 12:21 PM
You've got your daughter's blessing.. go for it! :)

AletaHawk
10-13-2014, 10:45 PM
Wow, I can't log in for a day and it's suddenly a ton of responses :)

If I do go this route, it's got to be as the Wicked Witch - I don't want to set off any alarms with the neighbors. We're still new to the area. Going full Glinda may seem like I'm trying too hard. Going to see what the wife's thoughts are, as we haven't really had the time to discuss it yet. Still, seems like a pretty solid idea to me, and it might be the only chance I get for a while!

5150 Girl
10-15-2014, 06:02 PM
- I don't want to set off any alarms with the neighbors. We're still new to the area. Going full Glinda may seem like I'm trying too hard.

It's Halloween for cry'n out loud! FREE PASS for anybody to be ANYTHING!!!

ms merlot
10-15-2014, 06:18 PM
A lot of good replies here. Yes, Halloween is a "pass" day. Once dressed as just a woman I went grocery shopping. The young make clerk did ask if "those were mine". Ah such is the college town.
I have a few outfits but the best to cycle in is as a witch. Hat. Nose. Green face paint (Bill Nye?). 2 problems. The heels have to fit well enough to cycle in or bring a second pair. Th elatex nose glue starts to deteriorate after a few miles, I go 8. So I end up with pinched toes and a drooling latex nose. One time I did forget the kiddies go around early. One turned around as I attempted to sip my coffee with my nose to the side and said "You're not a girl". Boy was she right several ways. Once I got home I went to a neighbors house. She thought it was hilarious. The next day she asked me if I was going to dress again. (Guess I missed that opportunity).
Do it but I like the lion or Glenda costume ideas.