PDA

View Full Version : Nylon sounds?

Shiny
01-24-2006, 01:26 PM
In looking at all the pictures posted on the thread about "best legs pictures" and in reading about the demise of the hosiery industry etc., I had to ask a question some of you fellow older CDers may understand:

Back in the very late 1950's through the late 1970's or so do you remember that classic zipping/swishing/wisking sound of nylons when ever a woman would walk by or sit and cross her legs? That sound was further amplified back in the days of those tailored, knee length satin lined wool skirts.

That classic "shick-shick-shick" sound under a tight skirt was a real head turner and adding that metronome sound of clicking stiletto heels on a tiled floor down a long hallway as the women minced and wiggled along was enough to make many men drool! And if she was a babe? Forget about it!!! I suspect that many women well understood that look as well as the "Sound" of their sheer hosiery as well, but that's another posting listed under "Tease."

Many of us in here got started with ladies "hosiery" and part of it for me besides that glassy sheen on pretty legs was that slippery "sound" that piqued my interest as to "just how would these feel?" The combination of tactile and auditory sensation there was the first thing that got me hooked and I believe it is the "Rosettastone" that got others going as well!

As time went on I thought all nylons were the same. In the old days they were, but alas, it didn't last. Soon those original Hanes Flat Knit style 415's and others began to dissappear in the mists of time. Hanes also used to make great support pantyhose called "Alive" that were RHT. These had the same "Plain knit" as the stockings which gave that perfect feel and shine. But today, they cheapened the weave and all Hanes hosiery these days are a far cry from yesteryear with more stocking manufacturers dropping out all the time.

Most stockings today are cheap and have a "Pebble" finish or a "Mesh" weave which imparts a dull look, the sound of sanpaper rubbing when you cross your legs and a terrible "Itchy" feel. Instead of that "gossamer" sheer fabric you used to get as you wisked a fresh pair from the box you now get what looks like two dried up balloons in a plastic bag! Even if they get the weave right they add lycra to hose these days as well to simplify the manufacturing process so they don't have to "Card" or "Board" the stockings as that takes time and money.

Maybe instead of being lazy or not wanting to be "girly" gurls that's why girls don't wear nylons anymore because they scratch! I have also heard they are too expensive, too hot and many other excuses as well to favor the "Bare leg" look that is bringing lament from male (as well as CD) leg watchers all over the planet! I love looking at pretty women but always catch myself looking at her outfit and wondering where I could find it in my size.

Anyway, I am always searching the world for the shiniest, slipperiest and swishiest hose to add to my collection and have found a few remaining suppliers. I would love to hear some input as to what you folks might think.

Also, I read a neat thread on the British StockingsHQ site that if you don't like that "Slippery" feel or that "Swishing" sound when you cross your legs all you have to do is wear one stocking inside out! And amazingly, it is true, although why someone would want to lessen the excitement of wearing those classy, old fashioned "Department store" hose is beyond me!

Julia Cross
01-24-2006, 01:40 PM
Hi Shiny,

There is hope.

The hosiery you are describing, ironically isn't as durable as today's better hosiery. back then, they were called nylons, because they werre made of 100% nylon, unless you are thinking way back when they were actually silk. The nylons of that era were of a thicker/heavier DIN than todays nylon which played a part in the sound back then. The sheen as well was a result from this older weave of nylon.

Today's "nylons" are not exactly nylons anymore, they are blends of polyester, lycra or spandex as well as nylon. Tights may have cotton blended in.

And yes, today's pantyhose can be just as luxurious, and don't need to cost a fortune. They can, but if you shop around, at discount stores like Winners or BB Bargoons for example or even wait for the BIG SALE at Sears, you can get the higher quality pairs for a very reasonable cost.

I have found that the best hosiery by far is from italy and france. Incredible fit, styling and durability, as well as the shiny, ultra smooth, sensual feel we all want to experience from these beautiful accessory items.

They are out there, but you need to look in better stores for better brands.

julia

JoAnnDallas
01-24-2006, 01:49 PM
Ahhh....to be real nylons they need to have the black seam running up the back of the leg.

suanne
01-24-2006, 01:51 PM
Shiny thanks.:clap: I have been having flashbacks of those days. :cry: Ah....yes. I looked at some of my high school year books just awhile back. Oh my.. I looked at some of the girls and remember........and they looked soooooooo good. Short skirts, nylons with nice shoes. Well prepared hair and makeup. Looking at some of these kids going to school now, well.......heck I dressed better when I went out to work on my car.:doh:

Ok, ok I know I am ancient. But I would like to go back for just a few days with what I know now. (I would bring back with me tons of girdles, nylons, slips, panties and high heels):D

Grandma Suanne

Sedona
01-24-2006, 04:54 PM
Ladies,

Start here:

http://www.stockingirl.com/stockings.html

Then, start shopping. Their prices are fairly high, but so is the quality. The site is a little hard to navigate, but keep hunting and you'll find their sale-of-the-month and bazaar sections.

I've bought several things over the months from them, and have always been satisfied. They've always been good about responding with emailed questions. They used to have a live-help IM service, but I don't know what happened to it.

-S

MarieTS
01-24-2006, 08:42 PM
Girls, what do you think of Hanes Silk Reflections Pantyhose? I think they offer the feel and quality of the older nylons with a bit more durability. They are what I wear most of the time. Sometimes I'll wear Leggs Active Support under jeans or slacks because the are tough. Anyway, Silk Relections are about the best I've found, although I wish they had about an inch more in length. JC Penny used to have a very good brand also.
Oh, and thanx for the web site! I jusy might give it a try.

AprilMae
01-24-2006, 08:54 PM
Oh,those sounds got me through Grade school in the '60's.

Butterfly Bill
01-24-2006, 11:03 PM
Girls, what do you think of Hanes Silk Reflections Pantyhose?

I'd love them if only they didn't come only with Control Top. I don't have a "tummy" problem, and they wind up pressing in on something else instead, most uncomfortably to me. I have to buy their second most expensive (I forget the name) to get some without it.