PDA

View Full Version : Got laughed at

Michelle James
10-15-2014, 01:17 PM
I mean really in your face laughed at. This has never happened to me like this before.

My SO and I had to go to Kroger for a few things. I dropped her at the door since it was raining and I parked and walked toward the door. A few steps before I got to the door a 30 something lady crossed my path. She looked right at me and laughed out loud. I stopped and gave her my best what's so funny look and that sent her into a real belly laugh.

Oh I've been read before, many times that i know of and most likely infinitely more that i don't. There have been a few that rattled me but not in a long while. This one was different somehow. I'm not really upset it's just that I can't stop thinking about it. More than anything it brought back memories of being the fat kid in the classroom and being teased for it. Oh well life goes on.

natalie_cheryl
10-15-2014, 01:49 PM
That's awful! Next time you should start picking her outfit apart or her make up or whatever you can. Imo when you tear down someone trying to tear you down they stop.

Confucius
10-15-2014, 01:52 PM
Sorry that you got laughed at, but I just want to tell you that I am proud of you for cross-dressing in public.

So, someone laughed in your face. No big deal. You just made her day. Now her boring day has life, color and fun. If she was smarter she might have used the opportunity to ask you a question and learn something.

Next time someone laughs in your face be ready with a quick response. You might say, "I'm glad I brought a smile to your day."

Sandra
10-15-2014, 01:53 PM
I would have laughed with her that most likely would have shut her up. Try to not let it bother you, what she thinks has no impact on your life the only people that matter is those close to you. :hugs:

Marcelle
10-15-2014, 01:57 PM
Hi Michelle,

So sorry to hear this. Unfortunately for every three great people we run into there is some DB waiting in the wings whose life is so miserable that they will latch on to anything to make themselves feel good about their pathetic existence. I am glad that you can see it for what it is but it still doesn't make the hurt go away.

Hugs

Isha

Nadine Spirit
10-15-2014, 02:21 PM
Well that sucked! But you lived. Good for you. Some people just suck and have no manners.

Lacyfem
10-15-2014, 03:14 PM
If we haven't put on our best effort and are not quite passable this can happen as so many are mean and selfish. So sorry you went through it as I'm sure you were feeling just wonderful and fem and it's just a shopping trip. Oh well, there are worse things and just stay sweet.

Jaylyn
10-15-2014, 03:23 PM
Look at it as that's life and then compare your life span to a piece of string. Tie a knot at about where you think you are on that string and say that's the day the lady laughed at you. Now look and see how much string you have left. You still have a long time left to worry about that silly lady and that little bitty knot. Next time just smile and walk on by. Don't wish her ill and don't make her day by letting it disturb you. Life's not worth getting your feelings hurt there's too much string left.

Sarah Beth
10-15-2014, 03:43 PM
I was just having a conversation with my grand daughter about this yesterday and what it amounts to is manners. Peoplle don't seem to have manners anymores. I was raised to be polite, this was polite behavior. The fault Michelle, was not yours, it was this other woman's. You stand head and shoulders above her in class and style.

Eringirl
10-15-2014, 03:56 PM
Hi Michelle:

So sorry this happened to you!! Some people have no class at all! Don't worry about her. You didn't stoop to her level and attack back, kept your dignity. She was being rude, and someday, someone will call tell her exactly that, and that will probably be the end of it.

Don't give her any power over your feelings by dwelling on it...

Erin

Cheryl Ann Owens
10-15-2014, 04:02 PM
Some people are simply jerks. Sorry she rattled you. If it makes you feel better, I would be prepared to say something like,

"I'm glad you like my outfit. It's too bad you can't wear it as well as I do." OR

"Do you get off laughing at people?"

"That's funny. I thought you were a man in a dress"

"Do you have a teenage son? Maybe he's raiding your lingere when you're not home?"

I could go on editing as I think of remarks! LOL!

Get creative with prepared remarks as I would if it happened again. This woman is just being a disrespectful A-hole. You can have the last laugh when karma catches up to her.

Cheryl

Michelle James
10-15-2014, 04:46 PM
So today "I got right back up on the horse" SO and I went to Catherine's and did some retail therapy. Nothing happened. Treated with respect and as a lady.
And so it goes

Sarasometimes
10-15-2014, 05:05 PM
Don't let the exception change the rule! It sounds like you are out in public a fair amount and this was your first AH to laugh at you. She has a lot more problems than you will ever have if that is how she conducts herself!! We should feel pity not anger but that is tougher to do. Focus on how today went, that is more the norm in my experience.

Erica Marie
10-15-2014, 05:34 PM
One simple response.
Say "Hello my name is Kharma glad I made you day"

Julie Denier
10-15-2014, 05:44 PM
Some people just suck and have no manners.

Bingo! Doesn't matter who you are or what you think is funny - keep your comments to yourself and behave. Good for you taking the high road.

~Joanne~
10-15-2014, 06:57 PM
Like most have said, there are tons of impolite people with nothing better to do than give other people sh*t while their own lives suck to no end. I am glad it didn't phase you to the point where you didn't go back out. It shook your horse but you kept on riding ;) If it had been me (seeing I hardly go out) it would have scared me out of my wits and I most certainly wouldn't be back out any time soon.

Rachael Leigh
10-15-2014, 07:31 PM
So sorry for you that happened but it's definitely my fear if I ever make it out in the real world again. One of the things that keeps me in

kkaye
10-15-2014, 07:39 PM
Hi LeighR:
Im sorry to hear something like that. Remember do what makes you happy. I learned to avoid places, people and situation where, I would compromise what makes me happy in being out as what, I like being. I usually just blend in and at the worst, I may appear as this woman that walks funny in heels. I'm middle age and, I have that going for me because we usually don't get a second look. Get back out there and find your comfort zone

Brynna M
10-15-2014, 07:48 PM
I'm sorry that happened. I sucks when someone disregards us (as people in any form not just crossdressers) and then don't even care enough to try and control it. Hope you feel better.

Kris Avery
10-15-2014, 07:58 PM
I have found that often the ones that spit the most awful comments in life are the ones that have a crappy life themselves.
We should all hope that that DB's life might improve and she can grow into a more positive, kind, and loving person.

suchacutie
10-15-2014, 08:18 PM
Here's the deal: some people have the intelligence and manners of a slug. They are insecure and need to make fun if others. Anyone they consider to be different from what they perceive as the norm has the potential to make them feel somehow marginalized. So, they need to put you in your "place" by belittling you any way they can, and laughing at you is the prime candidate.

I pity their condition, but they are a real pain in any civilized society.

just my two cents.

BLUE ORCHID
10-15-2014, 08:20 PM
Hi Michelle, You just can't fix Stupid.:hugs:

Wildaboutheels
10-15-2014, 09:01 PM
There's no law against people being clueless. Adversity of some type is inevitable if one goes out enough times dressed. Good for you for getting right back on the horse.

Sometimes Steffi
10-15-2014, 10:06 PM
Some people are simply jerks. Sorry she rattled you. If it makes you feel better, I would be prepared to say something like,

Get creative with prepared remarks as I would if it happened again. This woman is just being a disrespectful A-hole. You can have the last laugh when karma catches up to her.

How about

What's so funny? That I look better a a girl than you do?

donnatracey
10-15-2014, 10:15 PM
Look at it as that's life and then compare your life span to a piece of string. Tie a knot at about where you think you are on that string and say that's the day the lady laughed at you. Now look and see how much string you have left. You still have a long time left to worry about that silly lady and that little bitty knot. Next time just smile and walk on by. Don't wish her ill and don't make her day by letting it disturb you. Life's not worth getting your feelings hurt there's too much string left.

I'm not sure I like that analogy! Quite a few of us have only a short piece of string left.....:eek: Now the rest of your advice I like.....

lauren_m
10-15-2014, 10:56 PM
Incidents like that really hurt my heart. I don't know that there's any one "right" way to respond to that kind of incident, or any specific way that we're "supposed" to feel, but I do hope that you've bounced back and won't let that kind of negativity keep you down.

muslegirl
10-15-2014, 11:01 PM
My guy side reacts to this like i would to a guy insulting me...jack him up!! but as a lady it would be hard... so sorry! i feel no acceptance in the world

Carmen
10-15-2014, 11:01 PM
Too bad because she missed her chance to meet a very wonderful person!
I'm proud of you for going out and being yourself!

GinaD
10-15-2014, 11:25 PM
She isn't worth worrying about. I know it hurts when someone treats you badly, but her mean spirit will be a burden to her one day. Move forward and let it go. You will probably never see her again.

Nadya
10-15-2014, 11:31 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about that experience. I have to say that I admire you for being so strong through the experience. I don't know if I would have been able to handle it and probably ran out and cried. Glad that your next trip was much better.

ChristinaK
10-16-2014, 09:46 AM
Well, it was better than getting yelled at :-) I know it hurt and I feel for you. I think some people don't see us as real humans with feelings.

Beverley Sims
10-16-2014, 10:10 AM
Michelle I am having an enlightened trip Ihave had manysmirks and a lot of like your boots, some have said I have dressed stylishly and most of all I have attracted more attention and spoke to more chicks than ever before.

Samantha_Smile
10-16-2014, 11:42 AM
That's quite rude really.
I'm not sure if it's worse than a straight up insult.

Tracii G
10-16-2014, 11:50 AM
When that happens I feel sorry for the person mainly.
I do send a message back whether is a 1000 yard stare or jab at their outfit.
My favorite jab is "seriously that outfit?"
You continue being you and don't worry about those kinds of people.

mykell
10-16-2014, 12:00 PM
i read this yesterday and felt so bad i didnt know what to say, not being in a situation to go out i dont think i would have handled it as well,
but what i really found inspirational is you saddled up and rode out the next day, good for you.....

Roberta Young
10-16-2014, 12:49 PM
Michelle, Im SOO sorry that happened to You. That lady( use the term losely) was an IDIOT. Hugs Roberta

katie elouise
10-16-2014, 01:44 PM
Hello Michelle ,Firstly I must say that I really admire your courage for posting about your less than pleasant experience , and also how you retained dignity by not losing your cool so well done you .Please don't think that I am being pedantic but there was only one lady present and that was you .Katie x.

RachelRICD
10-16-2014, 02:49 PM
If I had a dollar for everytime I got read I'd be rich. My best was standing in line at CVS to get some prescriptions. The woman behind me said, "as a man you should be ashamed of going out dressed like a woman" I simply stared her in the eyes and said " Don't be rude because I look better than you." Everyone in the line broke in laughter and she shut up after that. By the way, I did look way better than her.

Michelle James
10-16-2014, 03:11 PM
Rachel that just made my day. I'll let you know if I use it

samantha rogers
10-16-2014, 04:27 PM
Michelle, everyone else had given you great advice. The woman does not deserve your care or concern. Bit it still sucks. Hugs, baby. It was her problem not yours. Big hugs.:hugs:

Alice Torn
10-16-2014, 07:31 PM
I think i might take the advice of the post that said, just laugh right back with her. That would catch her!

Teresa Monsivais
10-17-2014, 08:35 AM
I'm so sorry for the experience. More than not, we may have more positive experiences than bad ones and I am sure we will all run into an idiot or two one time or another. I am glad you got back out there.

Krisi
10-17-2014, 08:45 AM
Society seems to be becoming more and more rude and thoughtless. I don't know if it's TV. the Internet or what. It's over now so the best thing to do is move on and forget it.

BethanyAnn
10-17-2014, 11:14 AM
I'm sorry that happened, hon. I've had something similar happen 10 years ago. It was at a grocery store as well...really hurt.

SusanaO
10-17-2014, 04:24 PM
Once, while waiting to cross the street at a stop light, some elderly woman told me "You know, earrings are for women! You shouldn't wear any." I had my hoop earrings that I almost always wear in male mode.

I turned to look at her and noticed she wasn't wearing any earrings. So I replied, "You know, you should be more lady-like and wear earrings. And spend some time on your hair, you look like a man that needs a haircut."

All I got back was a blank stare.

Eryn
10-17-2014, 07:38 PM
...Next time you should start picking her outfit apart or her make up or whatever you can. Imo when you tear down someone trying to tear you down they stop.

That's how wars start.

Lots of people get laughed at. Tall skinny people, short fat people, short men, bald men, big busted women, flat chested women, and on and on.

Does it hurt? Yes. Is it worth letting the the person who laughed at you live rent free in your mind? No.

A person like that isn't worth the effort. You're not going to change them and arguing with them only reinforces their own sense of self-worth. Concentrate on good times and good people.

joanna marie
10-17-2014, 08:02 PM
Once, while waiting to cross the street at a stop light, some elderly woman told me "You know, earrings are for women! You shouldn't wear any." I had my hoop earrings that I almost always wear in male mode.

I turned to look at her and noticed she wasn't wearing any earrings. So I replied, "You know, you should be more lady-like and wear earrings. And spend some time on your hair, you look like a man that needs a haircut."

All I got back was a blank stare.
LOL I love it

I was in drab buying some needles and thread at a fabric store ,when and an older woman came up to me and said " what would a man know about sewing" I just looked at her and said " I guess you have never heard of a Tailor" she just stared as I walked away .

Ressie
10-17-2014, 10:33 PM
The ability to laugh at one's self is better than feeling hurt because of taking one's self too seriously. We'll never know, but it's possible that she was in a frame of mind where she would laugh at almost anything at that time.

Anyway, it must be rough dressing in all public places. I would expect a few unwelcome reactions if I dressed full time in public.

Barbara Maria
10-18-2014, 12:28 AM
Hi Michelle.I've found that people who would do that to a complete stranger are usually the kind of person who has to be constantly teasing and belittling someone.If it had'nt been you it would have just been someone else.You just happened to be there.I'm no expert but I've known alot of bullies and have found that it's usually because they have no life and have never accomplished anything more than razzing other people.Brush her off like you would any other bug and just be yourself.I envy you.It's jerks like that that keep me in the closet.XO Barbara

Nicole Erin
10-18-2014, 04:30 AM
The biggest problem here is that the woman was how old? At least 30? When is she gonna grow up?

Sometimes when people are rude it is more annoying than other times.

Thing is, that idiot who laughed like that is probably part of the reason that crap like Duck dynasty chia pets exist. In other words, some low class trash. She is the type of person that civilized folks avoid. Honestly, would you want anything to do with her trashy ass either way?

sometimes_miss
10-18-2014, 06:11 AM
Once, while waiting to cross the street at a stop light, some elderly woman told me "You know, earrings are for women! You shouldn't wear any." I had my hoop earrings that I almost always wear in male mode. I turned to look at her and noticed she wasn't wearing any earrings. So I replied, "You know, you should be more lady-like and wear earrings. And spend some time on your hair, you look like a man that needs a haircut." All I got back was a blank stare.
Turnabout is fair play. And I would say, what you said to her was probably taken worse than what she said to you, she was probably just surprised that you said anything at all, and too embarrased to say anything else.

Samantha_Smile
10-18-2014, 10:14 AM
If I had a dollar for everytime I got read I'd be rich. My best was standing in line at CVS to get some prescriptions. The woman behind me said, "as a man you should be ashamed of going out dressed like a woman" I simply stared her in the eyes and said " Don't be rude because I look better than you." Everyone in the line broke in laughter and she shut up after that. By the way, I did look way better than her.

This cracked me up :D
I'm gonna have to write that one down xx