PDA

View Full Version : Piano (wo)man...

Eringirl
10-17-2014, 12:35 PM
My SO was out of town a few weekends ago, so I took the time to be Erin. I was selling one of my keyboards and a guy was supposed to come and pick it up on the Sunday between 1-3 in the afternoon. I waited in drab, and after several unanswered text messages, no show. As I wanted to do some weekly shopping and be out and about as Erin, I decided to do just that. So got all dressed up, jeans, top, infinity scarf, fleece jacket (it was cool out), makeup, wig, etc, etc. and off I went. (you no doubt know where this is going ;) ). Anyway, after shopping for about 20 minutes, my cell phone rings and it is the guy that wants to buy the keyboard, and he is at my house, asking if I could meet him now. Well, not wanting to miss out selling it, I decided that I would head back to meet him. I quickly told him that I couldn't meet him, but my partner was going to be home any minute and "she" could finish the deal. So, off I went...

Long story short, turns out he was a musician/piano teacher, and was with one of his students, a lovely retired woman about 65 years old, and her 30 year old daughter. Oh great ! Too late now, I am in the driveway. So, head up, shoulders back, "let's do this". So off I go to greet them. In the house, he tries out the keyboard, she agrees to buy it, and the daughter gives me the money. We all had a great chat. All told, about 10 minutes. No one, I mean none of them, batted an eye. I am pretty sure the daughter clocked me, but she was too classy to say anything. Deal done, off they go, and I go back out to do more chores/weekly shopping.

I am sure there was a good debate in their car on their way home, but that didn't bother me any. They were kind and respectful, and I sold a keyboard. Win, win.

Thought I would share a positive experience that I very much needed.

Have a great weekend ladies!

Erin

Julie Denier
10-17-2014, 12:39 PM
That's awesome! You owned it, Erin -- great story ;)

Amy Fakley
10-17-2014, 12:51 PM
Aaah, a fellow keyboardist!
Way to own it, girl! That must have been wonderfully validating, bet you're on cloud 9 :-)

Marcelle
10-17-2014, 12:54 PM
Hi Erin,

Nothing like an accidental outing to give you a bit of confidence. Great story and best part . . . you sold your keyboard after all . . . YAY!

Hugs

Isha

Beverley Sims
10-17-2014, 01:10 PM
I have just started to own it over the last few years, I used to "own it" when I was twenty.

Just ask me.

You did well under the circumstances.

Stephanie Julianna
10-17-2014, 03:17 PM
Great story. And I looked at your earlier posts and pictures. I don't think they saw anything different than what I did, a very classy lady.

Leslie Langford
10-17-2014, 04:34 PM
"Songs in the Key of Life", as Stevie Wonder would have put it...

Great job, Erin, and what a confidence booster! D*mn, we Canadians are so polite and unassuming... ;) :heehee:

Margot Emerson
10-17-2014, 05:10 PM
That is such a wonderful story! It makes me smile just thinking about it. That is a terrific experience!

Dana does shopping
10-17-2014, 06:07 PM
Sing us a song was that a piano woman?

bridget thronton
10-17-2014, 06:28 PM
I that people often reflect the politeness they are shown

Isabella Ross
10-17-2014, 06:49 PM
So this is what they mean by "owning it". Nicely done. Want to buy a guitar now that you have spare change? ;-)

kimdl93
10-17-2014, 07:10 PM
Tangential, but I recall hearing Piano Man a little more than 40 years ago. What a great song and what a great artist.

S. Lisa Smith
10-17-2014, 08:03 PM
Wonderful!!! You were very brave and it worked out well!!

Maria 60
10-17-2014, 08:18 PM
I loved the quick thinking about meet my partner story, that was great. Clocked or not I don't think you will ever see them again. Good job.

docrobbysherry
10-17-2014, 10:53 PM
Very impressive story, Erin. Imagine, going out shopping dressed after!? Not a chance I'd ever do that.

U r one brave girl!

ChristinaK
10-18-2014, 12:29 AM
Quick thinking and steady nerves. Great story.

Eringirl
10-18-2014, 09:20 AM
Thanks for all of your kind words :hugs: to all. Yes, it was a real confidence booster for sure, and couldn't have come at a better time for me.

@Stephanie: thanks for the compliments !

@Dana LOL, yup that would be my version of the tune!

@Bridget: I hope you are right, I always treat people with respect hoping for the same in return.

@Bridgette: got two myself, both Yamaha "hand mades". Sold my Les Paul about 30 years ago when I needed the cash. What a bone head move that was. :sigh:

@Kim: agreed, what a classic tune. Played it a few times last night with a big grin on my face. Ha, ha.

jennifer_w
10-18-2014, 09:56 AM
Great story, I enjoyed reading it. Thanks for sharing.

Linda Leigh
10-18-2014, 10:09 AM
Thank you for sharing a wonderful story and as you said it was a WIN Win :)

gwen55
10-28-2014, 04:48 PM
great story, I play too, currently have 6 and need to thin my collection. I'm an original owner of a 72 B3, I still play out but its getting to where i'm the oldest one in the place.