PDA

View Full Version : cosmetology school

maryjanecapri
01-24-2006, 07:56 PM
Well ladies it looks like my career is changing. I've been a professional actor for about 12 years now. Unfortunately the American political system is not a good bedfellow for the Arts and I see it slowly dying away. So I'm looking at a big career change and I will more than likely (about 90 % sure now) be taking on cosmetology school soon.

And why not? Transgender males are perfect candiates for good hairdressers.

Plus it looks like my fiances mother (both of which totally accept me) would love for me to take over her salon in florida when she retires in two years. Should that happen one of the things I intend on doing is offering services at certain times for my transgendered sisters and brothers so they can feel comfortable coming into a salon and asking for exactly the look they want.

Does this seem like something people would want? Anyone have any ideas about it (or opinions)?

Thanks all. Hope everyone is well.

DanaJ
01-24-2006, 08:09 PM
Better go to school in Florida then - 1200 hours to get your license vs 1800 in Kentucky ;)

Paula Rae
01-24-2006, 08:15 PM
Hey Mary Jane,

Sounds good to me, there's nothing I'd like better than be able to go to a CD acceptable salon thats managed by a CD. I would more than likely become a weekly visitor to such an establishment.

Cosmetology seems to be the profession of many Gay Men, I wonder about the number of CrossDressers in the profession?

Ricki B

maryjanecapri
01-24-2006, 08:40 PM
Better go to school in Florida then - 1200 hours to get your license vs 1800 in Kentucky ;)

very true. but i'd have to live in florida for a year to get residency first. there is an outstanding school here where i can get the license in 11 1/2 months (that's going 40 hours a week for nearly a year).

plus my fiances daughter is in her last year of high school next year and doesn't want to leave the school she's in. AND my fiances mother wants to retire in two years. sooooo - she'd like me to have my license and then work under her for a year. then i would take over her salon.

maryjanecapri
01-24-2006, 08:41 PM
Hey Mary Jane,

Sounds good to me, there's nothing I'd like better than be able to go to a CD acceptable salon thats managed by a CD. I would more than likely become a weekly visitor to such an establishment.

Cosmetology seems to be the profession of many Gay Men, I wonder about the number of CrossDressers in the profession?

Ricki B

well if you're in the florida area you'll have such a service for sure. :bs:

RenaCD
01-24-2006, 10:03 PM
Mary Jane it sounds like you given this a lot of thought. First off Good Luck, I think you do well. I can tell you as an Armchair Quarterback I just finished building a Beauty Academy for some of the girls in the family and everyone is doing very well. Both teachers and students work very hard, but it seems to be a great profession. There student ranks are growing daily, as long as hair keeps growing and turning gray you'll be working. My only regret is I can't go down there for a makeover it's in the family.

Best of Luck Rena :thumbsup:

maryjanecapri
01-24-2006, 10:20 PM
Mary Jane it sounds like you given this a lot of thought. First off Good Luck, I think you do well. I can tell you as an Armchair Quarterback I just finished building a Beauty Academy for some of the girls in the family and everyone is doing very well. Both teachers and students work very hard, but it seems to be a great profession. There student ranks are growing daily, as long as hair keeps growing and turning gray you'll be working. My only regret is I can't go down there for a makeover it's in the family.

Best of Luck Rena :thumbsup:

thank you so much Rena! my SO and i chatted more about it. she wants to help as well (she's licensed as well). not only does she think it's a great idea she wants to offer her skills at make up (and whatever else she can do to help). i'm really excited about this possibility.

if anyone has any ideas i'd love for you to share them.

thanks all!