PDA

View Full Version : What? I'm wearing a woman's shirt!?

Sedona
01-24-2006, 08:29 PM
A quick story from a few years ago.

Several years ago, I noticed that a male co-worker of mine was wearing a woman's collar-less shirt. I'd seen him in it several times previously, and on that day, noticed that the buttons were on the "wrong" side.

For obvious reasons, I'm pretty in tune to what's made for females, and what's not, but I'd always thought it was a man's shirt, as there was nothing remotely "girly" about it. One day, over the water cooler, I think I said something to him like, "Fred that's a cool shirt, oh, look at that, it's made for a woman, see the buttons go up the other side, but it looks just like a dude's shirt." 'Fred' looked surprised and muttered something about finding it on-sale on a men's table at The Gap.

Thing is I believe he didn't know the difference, and honestly, the shirt looked exactly like a man's shirt with the buttons up the wrong side. I figured he'd blow it off, but funny thing is, he never wore the shirt again.

I figure that 'Fred' is either a CDer (very unlikely), or most likely, a typical 'guy' who thinks any hint of unmasculinity is a negative quality.

Sure, I suppose I could have kept my knowledge of the shirt's gender to myself, but mostly, I really kind of feel sad for his insecurity. I think a lot of men are like this. CDing, or any hint thereof, is kind of the last taboo.

Butterfly Bill
01-24-2006, 08:39 PM
I remember the first time I tried putting on a woman's shirt and right away noticed that the buttons were different from what I had been used to. I'm surprised he didn't.

Sedona
01-24-2006, 09:23 PM
I remember the first time I tried putting on a woman's shirt and right away noticed that the buttons were different from what I had been used to. I'm surprised he didn't.

Good point. I think a lot of folks simply don't know about the button siding issue, and figure it was made overseas or something, without giving it too much thought.

Laurie Ann
01-24-2006, 10:03 PM
Really the buttons are on the other side I had no idea.

LisaRaye
01-24-2006, 10:42 PM
yes they are I notice that the first time I wore a button up..

GypsyKaren
01-24-2006, 10:46 PM
Hi Sedona

You know, it took me forever to get used to the button issue. I had to wrestle my blouse to the ground and hog tie it before I could get it right.

GypsyKaren

Ms. Donna
01-24-2006, 10:52 PM
It's a great way to let people 'know' without being too overt about it. I have two women's denim jackets I wear all the time. The buttons are on the 'opposite' side and while I've never noticed any guy's noticing, I have noticed women notice...

Of course, the fact that the buttons say 'Liz Claiborne' on them could be a factor as well. :rolleyes:

Love & Stuff,
Donna

Sedona
01-24-2006, 10:52 PM
I seem to remember reading somewhere that once, all shirts were historically buttoned like a modern woman's, but the guys were switched to allow them to easily reach for their sword (attached at the left hip, as most folks are right handed) for easy dueling matches (or some such nonsense).

Paulette
01-24-2006, 11:28 PM
Ladies belts should follow the button rule as well. I posted a response to one of our ladies the other day abotu this issue as she looked soooo good walking up a flight of stairs but she was wearing her belt like a man (OK for the FtoM crowd but not us ladies).:D

Genifer Teal
01-24-2006, 11:55 PM
Sedonia, I had not heard that before. The seord fighting idea sounds like a possibility. I have also heard that womens shirts button the opposite way because way back, wealthy women who dressed properly, had (and often needed) servants to help them dress. The buttons were opposite so they were correct for the servant helping them. This idea always sounded reasonable to me.

Genifer