PDA

View Full Version : Why don't women wear dresses? Why don't men wear suits?

lingerieLiz
10-21-2014, 10:02 PM
So today I was watching a documentary from back in the 50s. Yep, all the women wear wearing dresses. For the most part they were slim and were wearing long skirts while the younger girls were wearing petticoats under theirs. Reminded me of my youth. I could remember the layers of the petticoats and letting the right amount of lace to show under your skirt. I digress!

While the women were dressed as most of us here on this forum would like it if all women wore dresses, I suddenly thought look all the men have on suits and ties. I know that I have not worn a suit in probably 3 years and seldom a sport coat. Ties are seldom seen except for regimented sales offices.

If you want women to wear dresses do you wear a suit and tie in guy mode? If not why not? Women like guys in suits. Or so I've been told by several who complain that their husbands never dress up.

Amy Lynn3
10-21-2014, 10:14 PM
As for myself....as a man I wear suits, sport coats and ties whenever possible. I love to dress that way and wish I could all the time. I seldom go over a week without dressing to the hilt, in both modes. I think we have lost the battle to get the women to return to wearing dresses again. Ugh ! Guess it will be up to us cders to keep the pantyhose and dress makers in business. A job I don't mind doing.:battingeyelashes:

MelanieAnne
10-21-2014, 10:23 PM
Like I said in another thread, if you want to see nylons, high heels, and dresses, it's a do-it-yourself project! :D

LeslieSD
10-21-2014, 10:27 PM
That's a good point and indeed a very interesting observation. I would also wonder what would be answer be if asked to the members of the FtM board on this forum. As MtF CD, I know that for myself the cloth does play a major part in the experience, maybe even more so than living a woman's life. In other word, I would definitely want to stay as a CD as I am now, instead of becoming completely a woman. So if I was presented an opportunity to become a woman permanently (such as an SRS), I would not take it. (Being able to switch back and forth is a different story). That's just me. I know everyone is different.

So back to the original question, I am guessing that reason that most of us prefer dress is that most of us are really crossdressers (which is like a circular statement because we are on a crossdresser's forum).

Nadine Spirit
10-21-2014, 10:32 PM
While I don't see lots of men in suits, I frequently see women in dresses. I often point them out to my wife and jokingly say 'she must be a cross dresser.'

I wonder where most of you live that you all never see women in dresses?

Yoshisaur
10-21-2014, 10:43 PM
I see quite a few women in dresses in my area, as well as men in suits. I myself though don't really like to wear suits it's just not my thing.

Rachael Leigh
10-21-2014, 11:33 PM
No question dresses are now more for special occasions, such a evenings or church or more formal events.
Rare is it you see any gals wearing a dress shopping. I have 3 dresses and wonder if I went out I would not blend.
So I shop for the blending styles.
Shame too cause dresses are just so pretty

justmetoo
10-22-2014, 12:06 AM
I do see a good few women in more casual dresses/skirts. I don't like to wear suits myself because it's almost always too hot where I live, and because wearing a suit would stand out too much in most instances. Just like many women don't dress up to go to many of the casual locations and events in my part of the world many men don't wear suits in the same situations. The few exceptions are certain jobs, and certain occasions/events. I don't work in that kind of job, and I don't often go to that kind of event or location. I do support each and every person's freedom to choose their own apparel and adornment, so I don't expect women to dress in any particular way for my benefit.

Katey888
10-22-2014, 03:50 AM
Liz - this question comes up so much, I do think it depends where you live and work and the season.... :)

If you Google 'office fashions 2014 images' you'll get quite a broad mix of dresses, skirts, tops suits and trousers for GGs - and that very much accords with what I would expect to see around London or other major cities in Europe.

In my last role a tie was not essential in the office when no clients were present, but when they were it simply was ALWAYS a suit and tie and when out on business too, even if it were Dubai or Nairobi - for women the alter ego fashion was tops and skirts or trousers for the office and a suit or smart dress for clients... It's all out there - but you have to go to the right places if you want to see it or blend into it...

I wonder where most of you live that you all never see women in dresses?

As a good Californian colleague of mine used to say: The Boonies..? :devil:

Seriously... If you live anywhere that has a milder climate year round and a tendency towards utilitarian clothing versus fashion or 'smart' business mode (and I'm thinking most of the USA here...) then you're going to have to up sticks and move to the city or Europe.. :D

I can recommend Milan, Madrid or Nice... London ain't bad either...

Katey x

Sarina Curtis
10-22-2014, 04:21 AM
I wear suits and ties to my job quite often, but there is a somewhat different and more old fashioned expectation for clothing here in Japan. In spring and autumn it's really nice to see all the women here in skirts and dresses, I get lots of great ideas for my own wardrobe although it does also make things trickier for me as a foreigner wanting to pickup clothes for myself, especially shoes. I'm hoping I'll eventually be able to find a discreet place that would dress me in a woman's kimono! (I already have a men's one)

silkycdresser
10-22-2014, 04:32 AM
I'm a straight crossdresser and wear suits, shirts, black shoes and ties every week for my work - and when I dress in women's clothes, I like to dress smartly, too.

Part of my desire to crossdress is because my wife doesn't wear any feminine clothes, apart from in her job. As soon as she comes home from work, on go the jeans or baggy sports trousers/pants. Her sister dresses like a man too, and so many other women dress either scruffily or masculinely these days. It makes me sad and that's part of what drives me to crossdress. I also love the feeling of women's clothes.

Yes, it would be great if society could go back to the days when women dressed as women and men as men, with people taking pride and care in their appearance.

noeleena
10-22-2014, 05:07 AM
Hi.

We have grown up since then and cast off how we were expected to be seen in public the 2 nd WW saw to that and who in the main had to work at home while the men were at war, we have a freedom to be us and not ...TOLD .... what to wear . plus ease of what we wear ,

In the 60,s we were starting to see a easing off of the stiff upper lip attitude and Victorian attitudes, us English we were locked under for years, you wont us to go back to that draconinan life no thanks, it may look good on film .

no way ,

yes the clothes look nice and lovely from your perspective and other,s and how males wont to see us yet we have unlocked those chain,s never to go back there again ,

Real world, many women will tell you the same.

I have a few dress,s yet im in skirts most of the time why well i prefer them over dress,s and i can mix and match my clothes , though i wont be wearing those undergarments you quite like, for like mowing the lawn ,s or doing house work and a lot of other work , I dress nicely and i have lovely clothes and go visit my friends and down the road and again not in high heels ether,

And many women will slip on their jean,s and a top and out the door, your way how long to get ready to be out the door 1 / 2 an hour or more .

From your thoughts you and others see things differently and from a dresser,s point of view , not from our perspective as females, big difference,

As a ? you allready let your self down you dont get dressed up so why say we should when you dont. and again from what i read here, and would you get dressed up in your suit lovely new shoe,s and spent a lot on, and all to mow the lawns or do dirty work on the car underneath it and doing mucking out,

the old story call the kettle black. oh how i love it.....

of cause there will be some females who will wear clothes as you,v said for a do or Church or move,s or opera house or the like , or some thing ... oh yes a wedding . i,ll do that as well,

just every day ,, no thanks, never get any thing done, i do have a life you know and it does not include being dressed so i cant do any work, apart from wreak my clothes, even with my pinny on,

For many of us we were still coming out of the depression and still had short supply of goods and not much money to come and go on.

...noeleena...

heather ann martin
10-22-2014, 05:28 AM
I suppose it's up to the individual. I always wear a skirt or a dress as a personal preference but I have female friends who spend their lives in pants. I do think guys look lovely in suits though!

Kate Simmons
10-22-2014, 05:32 AM
We've come a long way from the attitudes of 60 years ago. Why can't we just be ourselves, gender notwithstanding? If we can't do it or refuse to do it, it means we haven't progressed with the times.:)

Eringirl
10-22-2014, 07:50 AM
If I am wearing a suit and tie, I am either on my way to a wedding or funeral. I try not to wear one unless I have to because I look like a schmuck in a suit. I am fortunate in that I don't have to wear a suit for work, but business casual (dress pants, dress shirt) is acceptable. Having said that, I am fortunate to be in an environment where many of the women wear dresses and skirts year round. It is great to see! My office is 10 people, 7 are women, 5 of whom are really sharp dressers. Two other departments that I interact with daily are also majority women...one completely women and the other 80% women. Majority of them wear skirts or dresses daily. So, I have a lot of resources to see what is trending and how to coordinate outfits ! :)

Maria Blackwood
10-22-2014, 08:00 AM
I hate suits and consider ties the work of Lovecraftian entities of ancient world-eating evil. I'm amazed anyone puts any stock into a man wearing a suit anymore. To me it's the official uniform of corrupt CEOs, sociopath politicians, slimy salesmen, hypocritical televangelists and greedy lawyers. I see a guy in a suit and wonder what he's trying to hide.

Clean gloves hide dirty hands as the saying goes. To me its not a suprise that some guys who hit it big, such as many Intertent billionaires, who can now wear whatever they want because they have "F.U. money", don't wear suits unless they are in a situation that our dippy society absolutely dictates it. Some not even then.

ReineD
10-22-2014, 08:05 AM
A History professor at the University of Nevada wrote a book about this. She believes that college students in the 20th century redefined American style. There's a short article about it here:

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2014/03/28/author-discusses-new-book-how-students-influenced-and-were-influenced-fashion-trends

NicoleScott
10-22-2014, 08:19 AM
Want to see women in dresses? Go to an Ole Miss football game in Oxford. But you probably can't get tickets this year.

I went to my bank recently for account changes. The branch manager was a man in a button-down collar oxford shirt, no tie, no jacket, no problem. My banking matter was handled competently, and that's what I cared about.

Many companies discovered that casual Friday had no downside, and made it full-time.

Sara Jessica
10-22-2014, 08:24 AM
I'm a straight crossdresser and wear suits, shirts, black shoes and ties every week for my work - and when I dress in women's clothes, I like to dress smartly, too.

Part of my desire to crossdress is because my wife doesn't wear any feminine clothes, apart from in her job. As soon as she comes home from work, on go the jeans or baggy sports trousers/pants. Her sister dresses like a man too, and so many other women dress either scruffily or masculinely these days. It makes me sad and that's part of what drives me to crossdress. I also love the feeling of women's clothes.

Yes, it would be great if society could go back to the days when women dressed as women and men as men, with people taking pride and care in their appearance.

This thread was born on a slippery slope and didn't last much more than six hours until the "women dress like men" theme invaded.

Where do you live where women dress like men (aside from your own home but I have a feeling your perception is mistaking casual for masculine)??? You make reference that your wife doesn't wear feminine clothing apart from her job, that she puts on the comfies when she gets home. What is she supposed to do, hang out in a dress and heels for your amusement? Seriously, have you ever spent an entire day in the real world dressed like that? Give me 8 to 10 hours and I'm ready for the comfies much sooner than that.

As for your wife's choices in clothing driving you to crossdress, that's a new one. :eek:

If you think she dresses like a man, put on her comfies and head out into the real world and see how many "dude dresses like a lady" looks you get.

An individual can be utterly casual and still take pride in their appearance. Women in particular are absolutely beautiful and unmistakably feminine whether casual or dressed to the nines.

As for the gist of the OP, society has gone less formal, no question about it. But that doesn't mean style is completely out the window. Look around, there's lots of style going on.

And right on Nicole, for both women and men, the increasing casualness in the work environment means lower dry cleaning bills for all of us!!!

Ressie
10-22-2014, 09:07 AM
Styles change. Men in suits are either going to a formal event or have a professional job that requires a suit. I'll be wearing a suit this weekend and it's job related. Lots of office working women wear slacks now days, but some wear skirts.

Did factory works of the '50s wear suits? That was reserved for management mostly. Occupation has a lot to do with clothing no matter what era. The '50s & '60s were so long ago, I can't remember how many women weren't actually wearing dresses in the real world. But, not every woman was June Cleaver. I'm sure that all of my female school teachers wore dresses 50 years ago, and the male teachers wore sport coats rather than full suits.

JocelynRenee
10-22-2014, 09:16 AM
Sometimes I feel like the weirdest crossdresser on earth. I prefer skirts over dresses because they are more versatile from a mix/match perspective, but I love women's jeans and slacks as well. I definitely don't find women's pants to be masculine.

I prefer sexy men's underwear over those designed to fit a feminine body because of the fit and the fact that they are simply utilitarian to me. Same thing for bras; I just need one to hold my forms in place, although a touch of lace can enhance the right top.

I don't wear hose, probably because I live in the desert. And, if I do say so myself my bare legs look awesome!

I love heels, but not when I'm walking around for hours. Flats and sandals are beautiful as well.

I work for a bank where the expectation is business casual, but I frequently wear a suit and tie because I find them to be beautiful. I have a ridiculous collection of ties and male dress shoes in a variety of colors, patterns, and materials. Overall I would say my male wardrobe rivals my female wardrobe in variety of color, style, and textiles - and I love both!

Whether presenting male or female I dress not so much to blend, but with comfort, utility, and image in mind. I'm not going to wear a skirt and heels or a suit and tie for an afternoon of errands. But, I have no problem donning either outfit for an afternoon of clothes shopping, despite what others may be wearing. I think GGs do the same for similar reasons, and why not?

BillieJoEllen
10-22-2014, 12:35 PM
My wife and I just watched an old 'Leave it to Beaver' episode. In it they all went to a football game on Friday evening and the boys and their father all wore suits. June of course wore a very nice dress. Yeah, things were different back then.

Brynna M
10-22-2014, 07:10 PM
I'll respond as a guy. I don't wear suits and ties because, I am not obligated too they are too warm, don't help me with anything I do and I don't like the way I look in them. I suspect that women aren't all that different they wear clothes for a mix of practicality, comfort and self image.
As a crossdresser when I get to dress I like skirts and dresses because i want to feel more feminine but I am certain I would be in jeans (and a cute top) if I were doing grocery shopping enfemme .

Beverley Sims
10-22-2014, 08:37 PM
Years ago if you flew in an aeroplane anywhere you wore a suit and the ladies wore hats and gloves and carried a handbag.
Now days most passengers wear what they like, or even less if it is hot and try to put bloody big suit cases in the overhead lockers. :)

Wildaboutheels
10-23-2014, 11:42 AM
Fifty or sixty years ago, few women had jobs "outside the home". They NEEDED to dress like all the other women to COMPETE for men. As in best possible mate.

Today's women have plenty of job opportunities and don't "need" men nearly as much. [To support them and/or an possible children.] So more will dress however they want to and not how they NEED to. Women will generally be more attractive [TO MEN] showing more body parts, and skin in general. While I don't go to clubs, my guess is that few women would be wearing granny dresses and flats?

Men win very few points for "dressing" a certain way. Which is why their clothing choices are so limited compared to women's. Spending excessive time, money and effort on their appearance does them little good as women simply are not programmed that way.

It's not complicated.

People should wear what they want to.

ReineD
10-23-2014, 08:53 PM
Wilde, we can "compete" for men without getting all dressed up. :D

Seriously, college girls during the 1960s (the generation that was largely responsible for changing everything), dressed casually compared to women a decade earlier. They managed to look very sexy in tie-die Tshirts, peasant blouses, jeans, flowers in their hair, etc, and the guys of that generation were attracted to them.

Stephanie47
10-24-2014, 12:09 AM
Before I retired I worked in a government office. The employees were supposed professionals. We interacted on a daily basis with businessmen and businesswomen, attorneys, and CPA's and others. When I first started working there it was guys in a bare minimum of dress slacks, shirts and ties. In the field it was suits or sport jackets. Women wore dresses and skirts/blouses. By the time I retired I was still wearing the same garb. However, the new employees dressed like total slobs. Women sometimes wore sweat suits and sweat pants, capri pants with sandals, all while meeting with the same professional people. Many times the clients assumed I was the office manager because I was professionally attired. In the end I was so happy to get out of that environment. They were a total embarrassment to the government.

If I am going to interact with the public, friends or family I will dress appropriately for the occasion and NOT embarrassment myself or the others around me.

Maria Blackwood
10-24-2014, 02:26 AM
"Dressing professionally"

I've helped bring in tens of millions in R&D contract wins, and racked up nine patents and an employer that worships me, all while wearing blue jeans and casual polo shirts. Some of the work was done telecommuting in my underwear or lingerie. Some particular configuration of fabric dictated by the current fashion paradigm as "professional" had absolutely boo to do with any of these accomplishments.

The people who created and drove the technological revolution were often casual dressers. Where were all the suits? Oh, they were over in the financial sector cratering the economy with ever more exotic and leveraged investment vehicles and paying off the other suits in government to legislate more nonsense.

Suits... Feh...

Mink
10-24-2014, 03:25 AM
can't STAND suits!

and what the heck is the point of a tie?

honestly now!

ties are so stupid!

Georgina
10-24-2014, 08:01 AM
I don't have a male suit at the moment but I have a few skirt suits which I love wearing.

Jenni Yumiko
10-24-2014, 08:37 AM
I'm an engineer who seldom wears more than shorts sandals and a tshirt when I have to go into the office. I do however take the opportunity to wear a suit whenever I can. I love the fit the clean defined look and the fact that it turns my wife on.
My wife wears yogas all the time and occasionally will wear a dress or skirt. Mainly when we go out and I'm suited cause she says I make her look frumpy when I'm dressed and she's not.

Ressie
10-24-2014, 09:17 AM
Men look good in nice suits. I've noticed that women are attracted to men in suits too. Probably because it conveys an image of a successful professional (even though that may be completely wrong!).

sometimes_miss
10-24-2014, 10:16 AM
Women don't wear dresses because: 1. They don't feel that people take them seriously enough if they present as sexually attractive, 2. They don't like the body hugging fit, 3. They don't like worrying about exposing themselves 'below', and with common plunging necklines, above as well, and all the wardrobe maintenence that goes with it, including the additional jewelry they feel pressured to pick out to go with it, 4. They don't like spending a fortune on stockings/pantyhose, 5. They don't like pulling said stockings/pantyhose up all day, 6. Women already complain about being cold more often than men, and skirts/dresses are simply more drafty than pants, 7. They don't like having to deal with unwanted sexual attention and the harrassment that goes with it, etc.. I could go on, but you already get the idea. Pants are more practical 99% of the time. The only time a dress or skirt has an advantage is when a woman is trying to attract a man, or in extremely warm temperature situations.

Men. Men don't wear suits: 1. Because they're expensive, and decent ones require dry cleaning, 2. We're a fat society, and wearing several layers is too hot, 3. Fewer have office jobs that require wearing a suit, 4. Our bosses don't wear them as much, so neither do we, 5. We're lazy, 6. We're stupid, 7. Men have absolutey no idea about fashion, and no concept that a guy in a nice suit is far more attractive to women than the same man in a polo shirt and khaki's, 8. We're slobs. Look around. Consider that even the lowest, worst looking males, have sunk to new lows: The rapper emulater, the guy with the backwards baseball cap, the giant cheap clock around his neck or cheap giant watch if he even has one, the oversize t shirt which, even when small size, says XXL on it because he's so insecure that he has to fake his clothing size, the filthy sneakers that have untied laces, and last but not least, the filthy, smelly trousers falling off his ass and uncoordinated underwear barely covering the crack in his ass. And the bizarre fact that a huge percentage of kids want to emulate that last example, rather than look like a successful businessman.

Maria Blackwood
10-24-2014, 10:45 AM
Men look good in nice suits. I've noticed that women are attracted to men in suits too. Probably because it conveys an image of a successful professional (even though that may be completely wrong!).

It's a textbook case of cultural conditioning. Gender normative groupthink and conformity.

Sara Jessica
10-24-2014, 12:58 PM
Women don't wear dresses because...

And a man can state these "reasons" as if they're fact because???

Gina Glowe
10-24-2014, 01:22 PM
I too like to look the part as is needed - if it calls for a suit, than I am more than happy to wear one- I only have to wear office wear and dressing up is great for me and my wife too, likes when I do- when we have the opportunity to go all out. I believe women don't wear dresses because of the women's lib thing- the opposite sex wants to be more like the opposite sex. And that is probably one of the reasons I wear lingerie when I dress- I wish my wife would more often - I buy it for her and compliment her on it, but she mostly likes the casual look. I try to exude femme- Gina loves pearls, hose, lace, gossamer, silk, corsets, heels, and doesn't dress any other way- as if that is how women should dress, and if given the opportunity in the real world, would only be seen in smart dresses. As the man, as must be, I am all too happy to dress in ties and suits when ever I can.

Judith96a
10-24-2014, 02:25 PM
Women don't wear dresses and men don't wear suits?
Looking around me today at work (and it wasn't particularly warm) I saw several women of various ages (18 upwards) wearing dresses of various lengths (none longer than calf-length). Plenty of women wearing jeans / trousers too.
I also saw plenty of men wearing some variation on a suit & tie and lots wearing polo shirt & jeans.

This 'girl' actually prefers skirts to dresses - mostly because I find that tops & skirts fit better. And in male mode, at work I'm a suit-wearer while at home it's polo shirts and jeans.

I think that much depends on where you live!

Jennifer_Ph
10-24-2014, 03:03 PM
I'd wear skirts, hose, and heels 24/7 if possible. Well, not when I'm in the barn and working on my truck and or welding... but damn it'd be nice to come to work in clothing I truly find comfortable. Sometimes it's not practical, sure. But when it is, I wish I had the damned OPTION.

gennee
10-24-2014, 03:42 PM
I'd wear skirts, hose, and heels 24/7 if possible. Well, not when I'm in the barn and working on my truck and or welding... but damn it'd be nice to come to work in clothing I truly find comfortable. Sometimes it's not practical, sure. But when it is, I wish I had the damned OPTION.

I'm with you on this, Jennifer.

:)

sometimes_miss
10-25-2014, 04:58 AM
And a man can state these "reasons" as if they're fact because???

Because I work with a staff of 95% women. I get to hear lots of things most men don't; some that I want to know, and others that I'd prefer I'd never known. Take that any way you'd like it. Everything you read, that I wrote here has come out of the mouth of a woman at least once, some, hundreds of times, and that's only the times that I've heard it.

How about the reverse? YOU can state that they're all false because??

Maria Blackwood
10-25-2014, 03:02 PM
Because I work with a staff of 95% women. I get to hear lots of things most men don't; some that I want to know, and others that I'd prefer I'd never known.

I know. That whole thing with the dimensional parasites and the Moon Treaty of 1905? *shudder*

Sara Jessica
10-25-2014, 05:51 PM
ow about the reverse? YOU can state that they're all false because??

I never said any of those were false. Only questioned your "sources".

Seriously, most women I have ever known revel in their fashion choices. There are times and places for dresses, heels, hose, etc. and there are (more) times and places for casual. Casual doesn't have to mean sloppy.

I'm not totally buying what you're saying because...

1) At least a couple of the categories have sexuality at their base. I know plenty of married women, some of whom are very capable of being wonderfully provocative in their style. Yet they're secure in their marriages so that they dress HOW THEY WANT rather than worrying about what some hormone-drenched male might think.

It has been said that many women when going out with a group will dress for one another. I totally get that. When I go out with my friends, I am not concerned in the least bit with what any guy would think. Instead, I want my friends to think that I am well put together and utterly stylish. The fact that I love my look is most of the battle, if I get a boatload of compliments, that's simply icing on the cake.

2) There are a lot of dresses out there which are plenty practical. Nothing like tossing on a comfy dress or skirt to go about one's business. Women here in SoCal do that all the time. I don't think they'd do so if they felt they were at some sort of a disadvantage.

3) Hosiery isn't even part of the equation. They wear it if they particularly like it (few do) or need to wear it for whatever reason. Otherwise, bare legs rule the day and aside from tights in the wintertime, nothing is really going to change that any time soon.

So I guess while I'm not saying any of what you said is patently false, I do disagree with most of it...based on my own observations here in the land of the most beautiful women on the planet.

BLUE ORCHID
10-25-2014, 07:46 PM
Hi Liz, In fashion trends if you wait long enough, What goes around comes around
the younger generation will someday find all those pretty things.

Until then we must keep the trend alive.

lingerieLiz
10-25-2014, 09:47 PM
I started this thread because I read so many here and else where men lamented about women not wearing the fashions of the bygone years. They didn't indicated they wore suits to encourage the women.

Many things contribute to changes in style. I can remember when men wore hats. Today its caps except for cowboys for the most part. Suits didn't make you a better engineer or smarter. I wore suits both men and women's at one time in my life. I've been through the fashions from the 50s to today. Today I wear casual clothes 99% of the time to match my life style. I prefer casual. My wife worked in an environment where women wore suits and hose were not optional. A casual day was a dress. If you watch The Good Wife you will notice the dress code still in effect today.

Tracii G
10-26-2014, 01:23 AM
Hasn't this subject been beaten like a dead horse long enough?
Come on times change and styles change its part of life.
Don't get me wrong I love the styles of the 40"s and 50"s for both men and women but it is 2014 things are different get over it and move on.
What good does it do to piss and moan over something like this?

If you like the style then by all means wear it but don't be surprised if you can't find that style in a clothing store.

Maria Blackwood
10-26-2014, 02:33 AM

Um, fun? :D

Teresa
10-26-2014, 03:53 AM
Liz I posted a thread a while ago titled , " Only one wearing a skirt, must be a CDer !"
I like the way MelanieAnne sums it up !
Even when you attend fairly formal functions nowdays men don't always wear ties, even try and dress jeans up with a suit jacket ! To me a complete contradiction ! Your comments come from our age bracket when women dressed like women ! As CDers from the era we loved the look and the femininity ! Full skirts, petticoats and stylish heels !!

mariehart
10-26-2014, 04:28 AM
The irony of this thread is that lately I've noticed a considerable increase in the number of women wearing skirts and dresses compared to previous years. It's noticeable on the school run and the drive through the city where you see the same faces daily and many only appear to wear skirts/dresses. Of course I live in Ireland so there's the European influence. But to me skirts are back. The irony is that I don't own one myself. A situation I really should rectify.

As for suits. I hate them and always feel awkward and conspicuous when wearing one. It's like.....well like crossdressing in public.

Vickie_CDTV
10-26-2014, 05:50 AM
It depends on your perspective. I don't like wearing a man's suit and only do so when I am forced to. I wear a dress (or a ladies skirt suit) because I like them and I choose to wear one. I wear what I like and brings me pleasure, and don't want to wear anything that I don't like. To be honest, I really don't like pants at all and would be happier in a skirt all of the time... maybe not heels 24/7, but I could certainly live in a skirt or a dress all of the time.

Personally, I can do everything I need to do in my life in a skirt, at least in one calf length or longer (when you have to constantly move around in a chair and lean over someone for hours and hours at a time it really is more comfortable to be in a skirt with nothing in the middle cutting into you!)

sometimes_miss
10-26-2014, 08:14 AM
Hasn't this subject been beaten like a dead horse long enough?
Yes. But some people love to complain, and some love to debate already decided matters. I answered a question and got an argument. Some people like to argue. Takes all kinds to make a world.

None whatsoever. But allowing those who are upset to vent, DOES help everyone else who has to live with them!

Sara Jessica
10-26-2014, 08:36 AM
Yes. But some people love to complain, and some love to debate already decided matters. I answered a question and got an argument. Some people like to argue.

Ummmm, no.

Is it decided that a man has the insight to state categorically why women don't prefer to wear dresses like many in these pages wish they would? I don't think so. You clarified later that your comments were based on anecdotal evidence from your own world but your original message came across as gospel and I call it out.

Nor is anything decided when we keep getting comments such as...

Your comments come from our age bracket when women dressed like women !

I mean, really? This is low hanging fruit. What do women dress like now? Let me guess...MEN???

I must live in a really lucky corner of this world because what many here piss and moan about is not evident in SoCal. Women dress for their busy lifestyles as well as for time/place/event/weather. They don't have to pander dreams of fashions from times gone bye-bye forever. Elements of styles may come and go but the days of women and men dressing to the nines for simple things such as airplane flights or going to the movies are never returning.

And I do have to say that while this thread is yet another way to spin a cat, OP presented it in a very nice manner in that she put the shoe on the other foot, if one laments for those styles, is your guy-self willing to wear a suit? It'd be pretty hypocritical for a guy whose standard wardrobe is jeans and Chicago Bears sweatshirt to expect his SO to always dress to the nines around him. But as I said early on, it didn't take long for the "women dress like men" opinion to invade. I guess this is an opinion that will never evolve.

Sigh.

Kaitlyn Michele
10-26-2014, 08:41 AM
women wear dresses all the time. also I don't see a lot of mean wearing leggings ...

Women do dress like women for crying out loud, they just don't dress to please crossdressers

Karen kc
10-26-2014, 12:08 PM
I have no suits, but many dresses. One time my wife asked me{jokingly} what are u going to be burried in? You dont have any suits!

dont know

Nadine Spirit
10-26-2014, 01:19 PM
Because I work with a staff of 95% women. I get to hear lots of things most men don't; some that I want to know, and others that I'd prefer I'd never known. Take that any way you'd like it. Everything you read, that I wrote here has come out of the mouth of a woman at least once, some, hundreds of times, and that's only the times that I've heard it.

You are so lucky that you get to know what women think and why they do what they do; how fortunate for you to be able to be so knowledgeable. I mean if you have overheard it from the women at your job, then wow, it must be true. I am jealous.

abby054
10-26-2014, 07:11 PM
In the immortal words of Pogo, the cartoon philosopher, "We have met the enemy and they are us!" This discussion reminds me of a conversation that I overheard in the Boise, Idaho, airport a few years ago. Two guys were having a conversation at the baggage carousel. One of them lamented that women did not get dressed up to fly on the airlines anymore. His friend expressed similar disappointment. I looked their way to see two stocky forty-something fellows who were dressed, shall I say, rough even for the wilderness. I thought, "Guys, you need look no further than the nearest mirror for an answer to your complaint."

Ally 2112
10-26-2014, 09:02 PM
I do not like wearing suits or dressing as handsome man in a shirt and tie even thou i have been told i look very nice the few times i have.I just rather dress in my jeans and t shirts when im in guy mode because it is way more comfortable to me . Maybe when some women have to dress up they feel the same way and just do not like it or really have no reason to

ReineD
10-26-2014, 09:30 PM
Women don't wear dresses because: 1. They don't feel that people take them seriously enough if they present as sexually attractive, 2. They don't like the body hugging fit, 3. They don't like worrying about exposing themselves 'below', and with common plunging necklines, above as well, and all the wardrobe maintenence that goes with it, including the additional jewelry they feel pressured to pick out to go with it, 4. They don't like spending a fortune on stockings/pantyhose, 5. They don't like pulling said stockings/pantyhose up all day, 6. Women already complain about being cold more often than men, and skirts/dresses are simply more drafty than pants, 7. They don't like having to deal with unwanted sexual attention and the harrassment that goes with it, etc.. I could go on, but you already get the idea. Pants are more practical 99% of the time. The only time a dress or skirt has an advantage is when a woman is trying to attract a man, or in extremely warm temperature situations.

1. It's true that we are taken more seriously at work when we don't emphasize cleavage, etc. This is true of men too. I don't see too many business men wearing muscle shirts. lol. What's important at work is obviously the business at hand, and any clothing that distracts from that is not desirable. That said, many men and women don't work in the types of jobs where looking a certain way is important so the constraints don't apply to them. Also, people can dress how they please when they are not working. I'm sure there are successful business women who know how to dress to the nines when they are out socially, when dressing up is called for.

2. Your statement is too narrow. Women with good bodies are apt to show them off more than women who aren't in as good shape. But age and context are important too, see above.

3. Nonsense. If a woman wants to deck herself out, she will. Not at work so much, but socially. And again it's about context. A younger woman who goes out of the town a lot will dress for the occasion, including jewelry. Where did you get the idea that women don't like jewelry? I live in a college town and the girls who are out dancing on the weekend don't mind showing off their legs, cleavage, etc.

4. Again, your statement is way too narrow. If a woman wants to dress, then I'm sure she will find $5 for a pair of pantyhose.

5. Nope. This might be true if you spoke to one woman at your work whose pantyhose keep falling off, but when I wear pantyhose I don't feel them. They don't ride down any more than my underwear does. lol.

6. CONTEXT! It's not cold in the summer and lots of women wear skirts, maxi-dresses, etc.

7. Please. If a woman is in the market, she will appreciate being noticed if she puts some effort into her presentation. I'm not in the market for anyone but I enjoy compliments or appreciative glances when I get them. True, no one likes jerks, but these type of men are not the norm. Most guys are decent.

Janine cd
10-26-2014, 10:28 PM
I see a number of older women wearing dresses in church and at concerts but most wear slacks or skirts. I love wearing dresses but usually wear a blouse or sweater with a skirt.

Maria Blackwood
10-27-2014, 12:07 AM
You are so lucky that you get to know what women think and why they do what they do; how fortunate for you to be able to be so knowledgeable. I mean if you have overheard it from the women at your job, then wow, it must be true. I am jealous.

I felt a ripple in the force... As if someone were using... sarcasm.

sometimes_miss
10-27-2014, 07:40 AM
You clarified later that your comments were based on anecdotal evidence from your own world but your original message came across as gospel and I call it out.
The OP posted this thread as a question. I answered it. If you think that every answer to a question should be qualified with a 'sometimes' or a 'some' or 'most', you're crazy, because there is simply no way to know why the population does what they do unless you ask every single one of them...which you are free to do, and then post your results to debate my statement. Until then, I will stand by the reasons that I have heard real, actual women say out loud to each other. And you are free to quote the women that you have discussed this with as well. But please don't try to tell me that I've not heard what I clearly have heard from the mouths of real, actual living women. Because that's simply being needlessly argumentitive.

Jeninus
10-27-2014, 11:59 AM
So today I was watching a documentary from back in the 50s. Yep, all the women wear wearing dresses. For the most part they were slim and were wearing long skirts while the younger girls were wearing petticoats under theirs. Reminded me of my youth. I could remember the layers of the petticoats and letting the right amount of lace to show under your skirt. I digress!

While the women were dressed as most of us here on this forum would like it if all women wore dresses, I suddenly thought look all the men have on suits and ties. I know that I have not worn a suit in probably 3 years and seldom a sport coat. Ties are seldom seen except for regimented sales offices.

If you want women to wear dresses do you wear a suit and tie in guy mode? If not why not? Women like guys in suits. Or so I've been told by several who complain that their husbands never dress up.

To your point, in the town hall of Ocean City, MD, there are a number of large photos on the wall, of Ocean City's Boardwalk taken in July 1948. Just as you say, all of the women were wearing dresses or skirts, heels and nylons and the men were not only wearing suits and ties, but also hats. And July in 1948 was probably as hot and oppressive in OC as it usually is now.

NikkiBeth
10-27-2014, 12:46 PM
When I left the corporate world, and entered the world of entrepreneurship , I decided to hang up my suits and ties, especially my ties, occasionally I will wear a suit sans tie. My typical business meeting attire is jeans, and blazer. As far as women wearing dresses, from what I gather from my wife, its because its too much work to get dressed up in stockings, heels and makeup.

NicoleScott
10-27-2014, 01:05 PM
...and what the heck is the point of a tie?...honestly now!...ties are so stupid!

I worked in the office for a manufacturer of "big metal things", with all the huge machinery required. I saw a show on TV about a woman working in a similar place who had her hair and scalp ripped off after it was caught in a machine. Our plant supervisors were required to wear white shirts and ties. I asked the plant manager about this, and he said it was so the supervisors are recognizable, should one be needed. I suggested that a red baseball cap would be more recognizable and safer, and he said: long ago, my boss called me into the office, reached into a desk drawer, and tossed me a tie, saying "you're a supervisor now. I associate the tie with the job."

As others have said: cultural conditioning, even in the absence of reason.

I agree with you, Mink, and I hate ties and suits, but I have one in the back of my closet for funerals. Even the dress code for those are eroding, so I'll make sure I have shorts and flip-flops if needed, so I don't stand out. haha