PDA

View Full Version : Powerful in its simplicity....

Eringirl
10-24-2014, 12:25 PM
At a conference and speaker's theme statement this morning was:

"Be authentic, be true to who you are and what you do. Master the most important subject - yourself "

Something that I am in a deep struggle with now. An inspiring thought, yet so basic. I know we say that a lot, but to have someone base their message on it was affirming.

Just thought I would share. It is timely for me.

Have a great day.

Erin

Kate Simmons
10-24-2014, 12:30 PM
This is who I am and what I do Erin. :battingeyelashes::)

Dava76
10-24-2014, 12:33 PM
It's a daily struggle for me.

Janine cd
10-24-2014, 12:37 PM
I have lived in that spirit all the days of my life. Sometimes it was difficult to accept who I am, but I've never lost sight of reality.

Annaliese
10-24-2014, 01:22 PM
That is something we all need to remember, what kind of a conference was it.

SamanthaSometimes
10-24-2014, 02:15 PM
Since you say "being authentic" is "timely for you", I conclude you have yet to begin that journey. It is a perilous one. I have taken the first several steps but still uncertain of its final destination or outcome. It's difficult to subdue the siren's call to this statement about authenticity regardless of the cost. I continue to count the cost before taking the next steps. How much closer to the cliff must I become before retreating to the safe and unauthentic self or jumping into a new and uncertain world. Enjoy your conference Eringirl. They can truly be a great experience.

Teresa
10-24-2014, 02:23 PM
Erin the next line should read, " And act on it ! "

Many of us would love to practice those words, but from behind a closet door to someone who's not listening we don't get very far !!

Beverley Sims
10-24-2014, 10:59 PM
Erin,
Sorry to put a damper on your inspirational thoughts, but, sometimes the gee up speeches are all embracing like those that write horoscopes for newspapers.

If you are inspired, well and good.

Having seen many speeches like you describe, I read into them carefully.

Suzanne F
10-25-2014, 02:52 AM
Erin
I have embarked on that journey. Yes there are hardships and risks. It may not look the way I want in the end. However, I know now that there is an authentic me. She lives ! We give people the opportunity to grow and love us even when it's difficult. When they choose to do that there is nothing more beautiful. My children and wife have shown me that. I would have missed it if I hadn't taken the risk of exposing myself! Well that doesn't sound quite right. You know what I mean!
Suzanne

sometimes_miss
10-25-2014, 04:34 AM
"I yam wut I yam." Popeye.

Kris Avery
10-25-2014, 08:37 AM
This thought isn't lost on me. It's also one of the most difficult things in the human condition. Being you above all else.

Amanda22
10-25-2014, 08:37 PM
Erin, thanks for sharing that. Authenticity is a daily goal of mine. I say "daily" because I so easily slip back into being who people want or think I should be. We are our own most important project, so to speak.

LelaK
10-26-2014, 01:26 AM
The most important subject is LOVE.

DaphneMiller
10-26-2014, 04:58 PM
And as Bon Jovi put it in 'I Am'...

"We're just who we are, there's no pretending
It takes a while to learn to live in your own skin"

Daphne

x

Marcelle
10-26-2014, 05:25 PM
Hi Erin,

A great quote and mastering oneself can be both a challenging and enlightening journey. I try to stay true to authentic self and that is one reason why I have chosen to come to out to everyone around me.

Hugs

Isha

claire1d
10-26-2014, 06:45 PM
Simplicity is often the hardest thing to achieve, especially for both sides of us. The same applies to keeping a balance in our selfishness as we do not live alone.

That's heavy stuff, time to enjoy the lightest side of me :)

Ally 2112
10-26-2014, 09:07 PM
Just be yourself